THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488483 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #400 on: 12 May 2013, 15:22 »

What? Why?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?
« Reply #401 on: 13 May 2013, 22:39 »

I saw The Shining a couple night ago all the way through in one sitting for the first time.  For some reason I'd never had the chance to see the whole thing before, but after watching 2001 a few days before I've developed a fascination with Stanley Kubrick.  I have an overactive imagination and I'm about three jars of nuts so getting to sleep that night after watching The Shining in HD was a challenge.

The great part though, is reading peoples' insane theories on the movie.  I had the misfortune of watching that Room 237 documentary and though it did point out a lot of curiosities that I missed about the movie, those people drew some.... dubious conclusions from them.  Plus it was just edited badly, I'm still half convinced that it was meant as a mockumentary.  I don't think the movie is a commentary on the Jewish people faking Native American moon landings in 2001 or anything, but I do think there's a deeper story hidden in it, that follows the same theme but just tells more of the story.

Like what seems weird to me is that in all the review sites, analyses, etc that I've read over the past couple days, none of them has mentioned one of the obvious things that I noticed, unless I'm just not seeing it right.  They go on about all the mirrors in the movie and duality, but none ever mention that sometimes the mirrors don't show things right.  The two main instances I noticed are the scene where Jack is angrily walking through the halls right before the Gold Room scene, and the mirrors are showing him walking through them too early.  He's passing one set of mirrors and the next is showing him walking through before he gets there.  I thought that maybe it was a trick of camera positioning or something but it still looks off to me, I keep thinking that the protrusions from the wall should be blocking him being shown or jsut that we shouldn't be seeing his reflection yet in the mirror.  And then the last mirror right before he enters the Gold Room should be showing him, but it doesn't.  Maybe I'm missing something about mirrors and how they work I dunno.

But the other one is in a later scene where Wnedy is pacing back and forth in the apartment muttering to herself about leaving, and she keeps passing right in front of this standing mirror that never reflects her image.  I realized that it's angled up a bit, but not enough to not be showing her in my opinion.  I can't be the first person to have noticed this in thirty-three years of the movie's existence, so what am I missing?  Or is it just so obvious that no one bothers mentioning it?  Or am I nuts?

Don't answer that.
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

ackblom12

« Reply #402 on: 14 May 2013, 08:11 »

Yeah, Kubrick did a lot of stuff like that in the movie. Impossible room layouts, reflections that just were 'wrong' and a lot of other things like that. It all just adds to the sense that something isn't 'right' incredibly well.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #403 on: 14 May 2013, 08:22 »

check out robag88/rob ager on youtube.  He does a lot of critical analysis especially ont he shinning.  There was stuff kubric did subliminally like thw wallpaper and colors matching the two girls and indeed the mother and child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWqTXPsDUMc
mind blowing.

he does a good amount of critical analysis with a lot of films.  Pretty good stuff especially his alien review using birth trauma and other stuff.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #404 on: 14 May 2013, 10:30 »

Yeah, that guy makes some good points but more often than not reads way too much into certain things.  Also I find it hard to take him seriously after watching the video where he tried to say the whole movie wasn't really about a haunted hotel, but in fact was all about the evils of abandoning the gold standard and abusing fiat currency.  And throughout that film and the one you just posted I kept yelling, "FOR CHRISSAKES KUBRICK DIDN'T BUILD THE GOD DAMN HOTEL!"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #405 on: 14 May 2013, 10:31 »

wasnt that his april fools day episode?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #406 on: 14 May 2013, 10:42 »

wasnt that his april fools day episode?

Haha was it?  That would make a lot of sense.  The guy on another forum that linked it was using it unironically so I assumed it lacked irony.

Thing is, I'm a bit afraid to get too into stuff like this, because I love to try to figure out mysteries in movies and songs, etc, but I'm not really smart enough to, so I get obsessed and end up with nothing.  After I first watched Primer I didn't sleep for three days until I came up with a working timeline that made sense to me (and suddenly realized that it's not a science film, it's a damn horror flick).

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #407 on: 14 May 2013, 10:51 »

I took a novel critical analysis class in college (counted as my lit credit) and we did all kinds of stuff like this.  It was really awesome.  The easiest is to run Jungian archetypes on star wars (the original movie, hell original trilogy will work too).

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #408 on: 14 May 2013, 12:04 »

Hmm.  Ok, so after looking up some more things just now I found out that Kubrick DID build the god damn hotel.  I read about him changing the room number from 217 to 237 because the Timberline hotel asked him to so people wouldn't be scared of one of their hotel rooms, and took from that that he shot the film in that hotel, but the wikipedia page says he built the set based off of several hotels, so I guess... conspiracy theorists, go nuts!

Pun intended.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #409 on: 14 May 2013, 15:58 »

I like the following Kubrick films:
Dr. Strangelove
The Shining

That is all.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ackblom12

« Reply #410 on: 15 May 2013, 17:34 »

Just saw Iron Man 3 and how they handled The Mandarin was absolutely brilliant.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #411 on: 15 May 2013, 19:59 »

I know right? Did not see that coming and it was GENIUS
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #412 on: 16 May 2013, 14:25 »

Of course that's the part that the internet folks are complaining about the most. I personally loved it.

ackblom12

« Reply #413 on: 16 May 2013, 14:29 »

Seriously one of my favorite parts of the movie.

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #414 on: 16 May 2013, 17:52 »

Also, the similarities between Iron Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises

TheEvilDog

« Reply #415 on: 16 May 2013, 18:48 »

However, before we get into a comparison between Iron Man 3 and TDKR, let us just remember that this is the
main credits theme
And thus any comparison becomes a moot point.  :-D

(Also, saw Iron Man 3 a couple of weeks ago, loved it. And I'm going to see Into Darkness on Saturday)

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #416 on: 16 May 2013, 18:59 »

I loved the twist, though admittedly I'm no scholar on Iron Man and beyond one Robot Chicken reference, had no idea who he was.

My major beef with the film was a decided lack of AC/DC.

ackblom12

« Reply #417 on: 16 May 2013, 19:27 »

In the comics, The Mandarin was a yellow skinned Chinese man with a fu-man chu, a silk robe and hat, lead a terrorist organization and used ancient chinese magic (more specifically, 10 magic rings). He was a good (maybe great) but horrendously racist character who was basically the epitomy of 'The Yellow Peril'. He eventually lost the yellow skin, but kept pretty much everything else. Not sure if they've been using him the last decade or so though.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #418 on: 16 May 2013, 21:19 »

In several versions of the Iron Man origins, it was the Mandarin who abducted Tony Stark, to make weapons for his organisation, something alluded to by the Ten Rings terrorist group in the first Iron Man film. Some would say that the Mandarin would be Iron Man's nemesis, akin to Doctor Doom for the Fantastic Four & Norman Osborn (or Doctor Octopus) for Spider-man. Ultimately though, the Mandarin was supposed to represent the Chinese political idealogy of the 60s and contrast the capitalist ideal of Tony Stark.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #419 on: 17 May 2013, 20:24 »

I just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness and I thought it was pretty good. I especially loved Benedict Cumberbatch in it

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #420 on: 18 May 2013, 07:56 »

I dunno, an acquaintance of mine had this to say about it:

[18:43] <ircguy> remember that star trek: enterprise episode where the entire B plot was they had to find out what someone's favorite food was
[18:43] <ircguy> that was seriously the B plot of the episode
[18:44] <ircguy> remember that Voyager episode where they passed warp 10 and turned into lizards
[18:44] <ircguy> remember that TNG episode where Dr. Crusher is pleasured by a ghost
[18:44] <ircguy> - all better than Into Darkness

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #421 on: 18 May 2013, 09:49 »

Yes ... but Benedict Cumberbatch.

Also, being pleasured by a ghost is pretty good.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #422 on: 18 May 2013, 11:03 »

Why is 'Benedict Cumberbatch' not already the name of a sexual act?

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #423 on: 18 May 2013, 12:01 »

Benedict Cumperbatch.

ackblom12

« Reply #424 on: 18 May 2013, 12:04 »

Benedick Cumperback

Benedick Cumbersnatch

TheEvilDog

« Reply #425 on: 18 May 2013, 12:52 »

I always call him Benedict Cummerbund.
Anyway, I say Into Darkness. It was better than I expected it to be.
(click to show/hide)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #426 on: 18 May 2013, 13:17 »

(click to show/hide)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #427 on: 18 May 2013, 16:45 »

Fuckin' loved Into Darkness. Yes there was some cheese and some plot holes, but I think what helped my appreication of this film was that I inadvertantly watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home where the crew of the Enterprise take a Klingon Bird of Prey to 80s Earth and steal humpback whales, essentially.

So when I see the interesting take on the Abramsverse Star Trek, I enjoy it. I think that if all people have to complain about with Star Trek is that there's too much lensflare (which I don't think bothers half as many people as they think), and that it's not fucking Roddenberry's TV show quality with a load of Cold War references chucked in, then they need to Kickstart their own ST film. I really don't understand the hate, but that's probably because I'd rather look at a film's strengths and eek out the weaknesses then denounce it as crap because it doesn't live up to an idealised version of itself. If not for the Abramsverse, would ST even be on our screens? Or would we keep getting sub-par TV shows that are cancelled before they're wrapped up? Plus, who's to say that the next ST film, most likely under the direction of someone else as Abrams takes on Star Wars, could be 'better', or at least different? What about a new TV show, after the events of the film? (That one, admittedly, is a stretch)

ackblom12

« Reply #428 on: 18 May 2013, 17:40 »

Just finished Mama. I've seen all off Del Toro's films and the man really knows how to tell a damn good ghost story.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #429 on: 18 May 2013, 19:25 »

I love that the creature isn't CGI, just prosthetics and really good acting

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #430 on: 19 May 2013, 02:56 »

Just re-watched sherlock holmes. The first one by Robert Downey Jr. Good show. Love everything I've seen him in.

But the bromance in that movie is bordering on excessive. :P

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

ackblom12

« Reply #432 on: 19 May 2013, 09:29 »

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Dat 70's fashion.

Edit: Also, as an interesting side note. Fantasy Horror film from Argentina, The Flaying, is going to make it's American debut on Youtube this October.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2013, 13:13 by ackblom12 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #433 on: 19 May 2013, 12:13 »

Woyzeck, dir Werner Herzog, Woyzeck played by Klaus Kinski.

Based on an uncompleted play by Georg Büchner, which was also adapted by Alban Berg for his opera Wozzeck.

The play is a study on a simple-minded man's encroaching paranoia and madness, as his superiors treat him as a puppet for their experiments and amusement, and his misstress, and the mother of his child, Marie, is unfaithful to him.  He murders Marie, which pushes him over into complete madness, and when trying to hide the knife he drowns in the river.  At the end the children are playing when the news reaches the village, and they all run to see, but Marie's child hangs back.

The film is a powerful depiction of jealousy, and the murder is depicted in a startling manner, being acted out (acted, not filmed) in slow motion.  The psychological aspects of Woyzeck's treatment by his superiors are far less significant here than in the play, and the significance of the scene with the children is absent, but none the less the film is an excellent work in its own right, and a worthwhile watch.  But if you want a true adaptation of the play (as far as is possible, since even the order of the scenes is uncertain), either read the original or watch/listen to Berg's opera, which to my mind is closer to the feeling of the play.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #434 on: 19 May 2013, 16:38 »

Into Darkness was worth the price of admission. The first two thirds were great, the last a little worse, the ending almost kinda meh. The opening was awesome, woulda been a worthy climax to a lesser movie all on its own :)

To my surprise, I found Chris Pine really growing on me in his portrayal of kirk. Quinto was good but he could have done a better job as Spock, esp. if he didn't have such a babyface. He worked well with Pine. Saldana as Uhura was too grumpy, but I loved her brief exchanges with Spock. Of the side characters, both Sulu and Chekhov were poorly served by both the writers and the actors. Pegg as Scotty was all right, as was Karl Urban as Bones, but both were def. exaggerated. I think some of the problems had to do with there being too little screen time available for doing these characters justice, although it should be said that I really hate seeing Harold try to be serious and menacing whether he's on earth or in space. The actor playing Pike was terrific, of course. Really made the most of all his scenes. Did not like Carol Marcus one bit.

Of all the main actors, Cumberbatch probably had the best monologues, the best action sequences and the greatest skill. His endless exaggerated chewing (look at his mouth and you'll see what I mean) annoyed me a little, but all in all he did a good job of portraying a genetically engineered nazi-like evil mastermind madman megalomaniac. Naturally he wasn't as passionate as his predecessor, and this version's vendetta was nowhere near as engaging, but how could it be? I appreciated the lack of mullet and manboob.

The OTHER villain was all right, though he annoyed me a little. The big bad ship was def. menacing, way better than the Narada from the first movie. The visuals were FANTASTIC, def. did the movie justice and though very distinctive didn't get too distracting.

Saw Wrath of Khan again today and I've gotta say I was surprised by how well it's stood the test of time. Much of it is dated, but the key scenes with Kirk, Spock and McCoy are still really good. I think it does a better job of bringing out the key elements of these characters and how they relate to each other. Nimoy is def. a better Spock.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #435 on: 19 May 2013, 20:11 »

Oh hey, Noel Clarke was in Into Darkness. The whole time he was on screen my girlfriend and I were like, "It's Mickey!!"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #436 on: 19 May 2013, 21:06 »

Yeah, he seems to be the go to actor now, for when they want something to happen to someone in London.

Last thing I saw him in was Storage 24, which was decent enough.

Lupercal

« Reply #437 on: 20 May 2013, 12:38 »

Karl Urban as Bones

"Oh, hey Bones"
"Dammit man, I'm a doctor, not a greeter!"

He does come across overlly Bonesy at points, no idea why. I really liked Sulu in the first film but yeah, was underused here due to screen time being split between Kirk, Spock, Cumberbatch, some Uhura, Scotty, and the Starfleet big-wigs.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #438 on: 20 May 2013, 16:00 »

Thats the biggest problem I had with the film, while everyone had expanded roles and lines, that was the problem - EVERYONE had expanded roles, which meant you had at least half a dozen people competing for the spotlight, costing real character development.

What the producers seem to forget was that while TOS was an ensemble show, it was also at the same time, not an ensemble show. You had three tiers of characters, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, Rand and Chapel were the third tier; the supporting cast. They'd occasionally get a larger role, but they were rarely, if ever, the main focus of the episode. The next tier you had was Scotty, important, but still not quite first tier. Then you had the trio - Kirk, Spock and Bones, the main characters. They worked so well because each one worked well against each other. McCoy was the emotional and instinctive character, Spock the cold and logical and Kirk reconciled both mindsets. The current films seem to just be concentrating on Kirk and Spock's friendship, when the friendship between Spock and McCoy is being ignored (and there was a friendship, it was just vitriolic).

Don't get me wrong, I like the reboot films, but they seem to be missing the point of the trio.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #439 on: 20 May 2013, 16:26 »

Saw Into Darkness yesterday. While yeah, there were plot holes, blah blah blah, I don't care, I lurved it. Benedict Cumberbatch is my new favorite psycho/sociopath* and he kicked serious ass, Karl Urban is seriously channelling the original Bones and I love it, there were so many references to old Star Trek movies and episodes which made me happy. Also Kirk banning Bones from metaphors was funny.

*For the longest time, Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs was my favorite and Jack Nicholson in The Shining was very close behind. But because of Sherlock and now as Khan, Cumberbatch is now my favorite. I would have his crazy baby.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ackblom12

« Reply #440 on: 22 May 2013, 09:49 »

I watched Timecrimes the other day and it was fucking great. So much better than I was anticipating. It wasn't hard to figure out what was going, it's a fairly simple plot as far as time travel plots go, but it's so well done that I just didn't care at all.

Edit: I just watched Livid. It's a beautiful, artsy, horror mess that doesn't make a ton of sense in the end. I loved it.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 20:43 by ackblom12 »

mtmerrick

« Reply #441 on: 26 May 2013, 11:54 »

Finally got to see Iron Man 3 yesterday. Loved it. :)
Though I have to say I'm very disappointed that he basically retired... So much more potential for awesomeness....

And then,  when we came home,  we watched Lost In Space (the movie), which I'd actually never seen before.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #442 on: 27 May 2013, 03:49 »

Well... thanks for the huge spoiler there, Primo. Cheers.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #443 on: 27 May 2013, 14:01 »

Saw Hangover 3. It's a lot bigger than the other ones, not nearly as much low-brow joke-fest.

mtmerrick

« Reply #444 on: 27 May 2013, 14:46 »

Sorry, I was under the impression I was the last person in the site to see it >_>

Also, got to see Into Darkness last night. I definitely did enjoy it, though not as much as the first reboot movie.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #445 on: 27 May 2013, 18:42 »

Saw Hangover 3. It's a lot bigger than the other ones, not nearly as much low-brow joke-fest.

I really liked it and I couldn't see why critics were so hard on it, then again they said the same thing about the second one.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #446 on: 28 May 2013, 08:20 »

I've heard the critics were hard on it. I tend to stay away from reviews though. I quite liked it and was pleasantly surprised at how big and ridiculous it went and let that be the laugh factor, without sprinkling more jokes on top.
Although I haven't seen the other two since the cinema so don't remember them too well and how alike they are to the third.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #447 on: 28 May 2013, 09:49 »

Well the first two seemed almost exactly the same movie where they swapped Vegas with Bangkok, a missing tooth with a face tat, and a tiger with a monkey. The third one shared some themes, but ultimately it felt like a different movie.

Lupercal

« Reply #448 on: 28 May 2013, 15:05 »

From what I've read, the critics have savagely ripped Hangover III to pieces, but most of the criticism seems to be at the second film, in order to compare it as "not as good as the first, better than the second". It's had one or two stars in a few places, but since when were critics any measure of the pleasure of the masses?

ackblom12

« Reply #449 on: 28 May 2013, 16:06 »

I watched Rob Zombie's Halloween reboot last night. As a stand alone slasher it's ok, certainly a lot better than a while he'll of a lot of slasher flicks, but there's nothing real impressive about it. I have more detailed reasons for why, especially concerning the character of Michael, but I don't know if it's worth going into.

I mean, in comparison to the original it's dog shit, but I knew going in it wouldn't be able to compete there.

Edit: Oh boy, just watched the sequel. That was just plain bad.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 20:54 by ackblom12 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 53   Go Up