THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 487930 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #150 on: 05 Oct 2012, 04:00 »

Saw Looper last night. I really liked it but the cinema had the volume up stupidly loud and my ears still hurt this morning. Doubly frustrating since my boyfriend agreed the trailers were too loud but thought the film was grand.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #151 on: 05 Oct 2012, 07:26 »

How does that make it more annoying? Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you both enjoyed the film but thought it was too loud...
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #152 on: 05 Oct 2012, 07:33 »

I read that as the trailers were too loud, but boyfriend didn't think the film was.  For my part, I take cheap musician earplugs when going to the cinema.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #153 on: 05 Oct 2012, 08:55 »

Oh yea, s'pose.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #154 on: 06 Oct 2012, 03:23 »

I read that as the trailers were too loud, but boyfriend didn't think the film was.  For my part, I take cheap musician earplugs when going to the cinema.

Yes. My speaking/writing style let me down there. Usually the noise level is fine but the headphones are not a bad idea.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #155 on: 07 Oct 2012, 18:41 »

Go see Looper. Seriously. Brilliant, clever, makes you think why time travel movies had to have so many 'rules' before this one. Won't say too much more though.

THIS. Though I think the time travel had some very distinct rules, they just didn't labor over them and let you put the pieces together. That said, it's REAL science fiction. It uses the future world and its technology to tell the story and examine the human condition while not making the story about the future world and its technology. If you just go in wanting a sci-fi action flick you'll leave somewhat pleased. The action is kinda muted and there's no real good or bad guy, it's actually kinda got a glare-filled future dystopia Noir feel in that manner. But if you put on your thinking cap and let it lead you on a merry chase you'll be rewarded with multi-layered characters convincingly played by good actors and a story that asks some great questions and provides some very interesting thoughts. This movie is in the same league as District 9 and Inception.
Quis pater tibi est?

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #156 on: 07 Oct 2012, 19:54 »

I just watched God Bless America.  It was good.  I was particularly happy with the way the relationship developed between the two main characters.  It had the potential to be really disappointing, but kept its integrity. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #157 on: 10 Oct 2012, 14:56 »

The Untouchables (2011)

Really recommended. Great story, great acting. Funny and just enough drama. Also it's French, which was kind of refreshing..

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #158 on: 02 Nov 2012, 18:22 »

I just saw Wreck-It Ralph and I really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #159 on: 06 Nov 2012, 13:03 »

Skyfall. Not quite sure what I saw. Loved it though. Won't say too much more incase people have been living under rocks and/or haven't seen it yet.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #160 on: 06 Nov 2012, 14:07 »

Living under rocks? It's not out in the US for another three days!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #161 on: 06 Nov 2012, 15:11 »

The Untouchables (2011)

Really recommended. Great story, great acting. Funny and just enough drama. Also it's French, which was kind of refreshing..

I just looked this up - it sounds really good! I'm going to have to see if I can find it anywhere around here.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lupercal

« Reply #162 on: 07 Nov 2012, 14:18 »

Living under rocks? It's not out in the US for another three days!

Ha, totally forgot about that. I'll eagerly await the reviews then!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #163 on: 09 Nov 2012, 21:08 »

"Red Chapel", 2009.

A Danish surrealist comedy group takes their show on the road for a cultural exchange -- to North Korea.

The effect is like taking the square root of a tomato, only stranger.

EDIT: More coherently, it's a case of postmodern irony colliding with Orwellian doublethink, leaving the mangled corpse of reality bleeding on the pavement wishing for a gentler environment like a Philip K. Dick story or an acid trip.

EDIT: Skyfall. Creepiest Bond villain ever. Preserves the flavor of the franchise while expanding out of cliche-land. Recovers the art of good one-liners that was presumed dead in the Roger Moore era. Actors played precisely and even with some subtlety.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2012, 18:07 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ackblom12

« Reply #164 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:22 »

I watched The Grey last night. After it was over I sobbed while eating cake and thinking about the futility of life and the fight for survival.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2012, 10:38 by ackblom12 »

Lupercal

« Reply #165 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:49 »

Am I right in thinking Liam Neeson + broken mini-fridge vodka bottles vs wolf? Need to see that. And eat cake.

ackblom12

« Reply #166 on: 13 Nov 2012, 14:31 »

Yup, that's the one.

Great, but also the most depressing movie I've seen in ages.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #167 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:43 »

Just watched Total Recall (2012)

Was enjoyable, if pretty separated in story from the first one.  I still feel what I initially did when I heard about it: why did this need to be remade?

"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #168 on: 18 Nov 2012, 18:10 »

Breaking Dawn II. Skyfall.

Both better than expected. I still don't get how vampires are supposed to be so pretty and then they cast really ... not so pretty people as the Cullens, but whatevs. Highly enjoyable.

Skyfall is Good.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Lupercal

« Reply #169 on: 20 Nov 2012, 15:20 »

As a commuter, very very tempted to James Bond it down the escalator on the way home from work at my local Tube station. Unfortunately, there isn't a villian in front of me to knock off all those ball-crushing obstacles such as No Smoking signs and Emergency Stop buttons.

ackblom12

« Reply #170 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:40 »

I just watched Drive Angry. That was an absolutely terrible movie that I kind of sort of enjoyed, but it's almost entirely due to every single scene that The Accountant was in.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #171 on: 21 Nov 2012, 12:24 »

I loved that film for The Accountant.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #172 on: 21 Nov 2012, 15:40 »

Skyfall, really liked it.  The new Q has an attitude and is a bit of a screwup but I like him nonetheless.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

fivegallery

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #173 on: 23 Nov 2012, 16:21 »

The Dead Zone - old(ish) movie based on a Stephen King novel, basically Cristopher Walken gets future-seeing powers and saves the world. It's pretty good and holds up pretty well, except for the sometimes cheesy sound effects.
Drumming is like counting with your whole body!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #174 on: 24 Nov 2012, 17:10 »

Currently watching Alligator 2: The Mutation.
Dee Wallace is in it, so I presume she's going to get terrorised by the aforementioned mutant alligator.

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #175 on: 25 Nov 2012, 05:38 »

Wacthed Sexy Beast again a few nights ago, I could listen to Ben Kingsley swear forever. He steals the movie so much that every moment he's not in it feels empty. Can't recommend this movie enough.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #176 on: 25 Nov 2012, 17:12 »

I just watched Exit Humanity and I thought it was a pretty good zombie/western movie.

ackblom12

« Reply #177 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:40 »

I just watched Modify. It's a documentary about body modification from 2005. It's a well done and interesting looking into the culture from various POVs, including Drag Queen, gender reassignment, plastic surgery, body building, tattooing, implants and scarification though it definitely focuses more on certain aspects of it. Not the first time I've seen it, but it holds up pretty well I think.

You can watch it on Youtube if you like.

Modify NSFW if that really needs to be stated.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2012, 04:34 by ackblom12 »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #178 on: 27 Nov 2012, 13:21 »

Watched 21 Jump Street on Netflix last night, and it was fan-fucking-tastic. A really funny comedy, had riffing in it (which I love within reason), slapstick, action, genuinely funny lines, and none of it was at anyone's expense.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #179 on: 29 Nov 2012, 22:01 »

I went to the theatrical release of two TNG season 2 episodes, with commentary and interviews.

_The Measure of a Man_ was cut significantly to fit in a broadcast time slot. The theatrical release had all of Melinda Snodgrass's original dialog and character development. It was better than I remembered, and my memory praised it highly.

The story about Dr. Pulaski being a half-assed attempt to recreate the McCoy-Spock dynamic? Cast members unanimously and emphatically report that Gates McFadden was fired for protesting sexist story elements (ironic considering how far Roddenberry had pushed in the opposite direction when launching the original series).

Roddenberry didn't want Patrick Stewart! It took months of pressure from the rest of the team to convince him. Including Richard Berman. Yes, today I learned that Berman did something right once.

EDIT: Did Marina Sirtis's performance in the pilot get on your nerves? Did you give her the benefit of the doubt on the grounds that there is no good way to deliver a line like "Peace! Love! Joy! Granola!"?

She cringed when she saw herself at the screening and thought she would certainly be fired.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2012, 10:02 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ackblom12

« Reply #180 on: 01 Dec 2012, 04:54 »

The 1971 version of Willard.

It's been a long time since I've seen this film, but I definitely still love it. I also think re-watching it has cemented my opinion that to fully appreciate the film, you have to be an introvert. The characterization hits a little too close to home at times.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #181 on: 01 Dec 2012, 20:13 »

It's a Wonderful Life, holiday favourite

I also went to the local premiere of the Warren Miller movie, Flow State.
Not my favourite but it was pretty cool.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #182 on: 01 Dec 2012, 21:31 »

It's a Wonderful Life, holiday favourite

I also went to the local premiere of the Warren Miller movie, Flow State.
Not my favourite but it was pretty cool.

I have to admit, I do not like "It's A Wonderful Life".

I mean, the guy kept giving up all of his hopes, dreams and wishes throughout his entire life and, yeah, the people help him out on one occasion, but still...

And this is coming from someone who loves Christmas films.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #183 on: 02 Dec 2012, 05:11 »

For my last assignment I was looking for old film trailers and the trailer for It's a Wonderful Life is brilliant.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #184 on: 02 Dec 2012, 09:03 »

Just watched Nightmare on Elm Street 2... dear god... I've never seen such a sorry excuse for a sequel. Not only does it ingore almost every rule set up in the first film (freddy can create fire and other things in the real world) but the storyline is a joke. I can't believe this ever got made.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #185 on: 02 Dec 2012, 09:13 »

There are worse sequels. In fact, there are worse Nightmare sequels.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #186 on: 02 Dec 2012, 09:25 »

Oh god don't say that. I bought the box set because it was REALLY cheap and I've only seen 2 or 3 of them.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #187 on: 02 Dec 2012, 10:35 »

Its something that happens, every few years the horror film industry develops an obsession with a sub-genre.
The 30s to the mid 1950s, Monster films were the film du jour, with films ranging from vampires to werewolves to invisible men. The films were, as so often happens, milked to such a stage, that all that was left, was the comedy films.
The 50s and 60s saw two trends co-existing pretty well; the invaders from outer space and giant monsters were tearing cities apart. Both types were so successful, that they saw many cheap rip-offs which killed the genres for a decade or two.
Most of the 70s was filled with demonic films, from Rosemary's Baby to the Exorcist and the Omen. Again, the films were so popular that the genre was drowned in 10-minute productions.
A shorter lived genre in the latter half of the 70s was the animal horror films, most famously, Jaws. Cheap to make, but also way too easy in making them cheesy.
Of course, then there is the most famous trend, the Slashers of the 80s. Given the numbers of holidays that were in the calender, it's surprising that the population of North America wasn't wiped out by July. The sheer amount of sequels that these films inspired pretty much killed the genre by weight alone.

Horror films, perhaps more than other genre, really do need trends to help them make money. Which is surprising, because many of these trends tend to reflect the social mindset of the time. The problem comes from the over-dependence on these trends leading to cash cows that get milked pretty quickly.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #188 on: 02 Dec 2012, 11:30 »

Oh god don't say that. I bought the box set because it was REALLY cheap and I've only seen 2 or 3 of them.

Yep. 3 is brilliant, New Nightmare is fantastic... 4, 5 and 6 are all varying degrees of absolute ballsack.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #189 on: 02 Dec 2012, 11:36 »

A shorter lived genre in the latter half of the 70s was the animal horror films, most famously, Jaws. Cheap to make, but also way too easy in making them cheesy.

I read somewhere that the reason that Jaws was filmed the way it was was because the sharks broke down just as they started filming. There wasn't time to repair them, so they just went "Stuff it, we'll pretend we didn't want to show the shark much anyway.".

Lupercal

« Reply #190 on: 02 Dec 2012, 14:34 »

Wow, so in 2050 people will be looking back with slight disugst at the sheer amount of comic book adaptions going on right now?

Its quite funny to look back on earlier releases (late 90s/00s) that don't quite follow the formula (and don't have half the budgets) of today's super-hero films. Part of me thinks Wolverine/First Class was all to try and make X-Men seem less corny than the 2000 picture (although on a second viewing, all of those films were below what I remember them being).

ackblom12

« Reply #191 on: 02 Dec 2012, 18:02 »

I think it would be fairly easy to argue that Nightmare 1 and New Nightmare are the only good films in the franchise. But oh man those 2 films are fucking amazing. The rest of them aren't even schlocky fun.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #192 on: 02 Dec 2012, 18:47 »

Its quite funny to look back on earlier releases (late 90s/00s) that don't quite follow the formula (and don't have half the budgets) of today's super-hero films. Part of me thinks Wolverine/First Class was all to try and make X-Men seem less corny than the 2000 picture (although on a second viewing, all of those films were below what I remember them being).

This makes me think of Rocketeer.  Mainly because it was based on a comic, but it wasn't really a superhero movie.  Pretty formulaic, though, as I recall.  I also remember enjoying it thoroughly, though now I can barely remember it.  Did anyone else ever see it? 
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2012, 19:38 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #193 on: 02 Dec 2012, 19:46 »

I think it would be fairly easy to argue that Nightmare 1 and New Nightmare are the only good films in the franchise. But oh man those 2 films are fucking amazing. The rest of them aren't even schlocky fun.

I was quite shocked to watch number one again after so long and see that Freddy is SO fucking creepy. It's hard to think that there was once a time where they didn't ruin him by making him such a practical joker.

ackblom12

« Reply #194 on: 03 Dec 2012, 02:39 »

Krueger is one of the best of the horror icons of the period by a long shot, definitely the best slasher of all time. The face he is that despite the quality of the sequels is a pretty good testament to the quality of the first film and how deeply it digs into the fears of the first film. I could talk about horror and and analyzing it all damn day.

I just watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 again and it's always hilarious how much more sense so many small scenes in Tarantino films make when you are aware of his massive foot fetish.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #195 on: 03 Dec 2012, 13:34 »

I watched The Message in a Western Traditions class today, it was very informative while remaining fairly interesting.  I'd say good job.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #196 on: 03 Dec 2012, 13:37 »

Oh, I watched 50/50. Very good film. Not one that's going to be very well remembered, I think, but very good, doesn't go the easy route too much, and I really enjoyed it.

I did love Seth Rogen catching the main character's girlfriend cheating and yelling at her 'YES! I have hated you for MONTHS!'

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #197 on: 06 Dec 2012, 19:09 »

I have just watched (again) the all-time greatest movie ever, and I cried like a baby the whole time.

(click to show/hide)
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #198 on: 07 Dec 2012, 15:54 »

Finished watch the whole series and... you're right :(

The sequels are just horrible, impossible to follow messes. Freddy barely kills anyone, there's no fun to be had in even the sillier movies, and they're not scary. Given Freddy's power over dreams I expected some really inventive dream scenes and deaths but they just weren't there. What a waste of my time...

ackblom12

« Reply #199 on: 07 Dec 2012, 23:56 »

Yeah, Freddy is more of a bad dark comedian in most of the films which is disappointing. I think it speaks volumes for just how good the first film and New Nightmare were that the franchise kept going and Freddy is still seen as an icon though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53   Go Up