THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 03:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 483983 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #200 on: 08 Dec 2012, 01:26 »

I still think the 3rd one is pretty decent.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ackblom12

« Reply #201 on: 08 Dec 2012, 01:28 »

The 3rd film is probably the funnest of the terrible ones. I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes at some of the Dream Warriors. Fucking LARP.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #202 on: 08 Dec 2012, 01:45 »

The one getting her head shoved in the TV was pretty brilliant.

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #203 on: 08 Dec 2012, 20:15 »

I still think the 3rd one is pretty decent.

See this is what everyone was telling me and I still think it's a weak movie. It started off really well but Freddy barely shows up and there's some really silly stuff near the end. It's not as bad as the rest but it's still not good enough to be on par with the first. Wes Craven should have handled any sequels as he is clearly the only person who understands Freddy... since he created him and all...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #204 on: 09 Dec 2012, 04:43 »

Wes directed the third one, sweetness.

ackblom12

« Reply #205 on: 09 Dec 2012, 04:48 »

Not true. Wes Craven only Directed the first film and New Nightmare, though he did do some writing for 3. Funnily enough, he was the sole writer of both of the films he directed as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street_(franchise)#Films
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2012, 04:55 by ackblom12 »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #206 on: 09 Dec 2012, 05:05 »

Really? I've thought for years that he was entirely behind the third one too.

ackblom12

« Reply #207 on: 09 Dec 2012, 05:15 »

Wes didn't want Nightmare to have any sequels at all, so he kept refusing to make them. There are actually a couple of pretty nasty jabs at the other movies in New Nightmare, one of them actually made by Wes Craven playing himself.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #208 on: 09 Dec 2012, 05:23 »

Wes has stated that he watched all of the sequels before making new nightmare and couldn't follow the story at all.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #209 on: 09 Dec 2012, 06:02 »

I knew that he didn't want any sequels, but I presumed he came back for the third one because the second one was so bad that he thought 'fuck it, if anyone's going to ruin my creation, it's going to be me!'

ackblom12

« Reply #210 on: 09 Dec 2012, 06:06 »

I assume agreeing to be a writer for it was him trying to have some damage control and may be why 3 seemed to try to bring back the lore of the first film. It's certainly the movie that has the clearest space in the canon of the franchise and makes a lot "more" sense than the others.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #211 on: 09 Dec 2012, 07:20 »

Watched The Untouchables the other night. Brilliant (and informative) film. I don't know what it is about Kevin Costner, but he is a bit of a badass when he's got a gun in his hand. Also, Sean Connery was so funny trying to do an Irish-American accent. Except he still had that Scottish drawl. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZ6eaL3S2E

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #212 on: 11 Dec 2012, 03:54 »

I also just realised how many sequels there are out there that take a serious character and turn them into a joke. Freddy is one example but there's also Rambo, seriously watch the first films ending and see how messed up he is in the head, then watch the sequels where he's pretty much a killing machine. Lethal Weapon 1 has Mel Gibsons character trying to kill himself, then there's little or no mention of this in the sequels as they become more buddy cop films.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #213 on: 14 Dec 2012, 19:19 »

I just watched the new Hobbit movie and I really liked it. Martin Freeman is a great Bilbo Baggins

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #214 on: 15 Dec 2012, 07:15 »

I also just realised how many sequels there are out there that take a serious character and turn them into a joke. Freddy is one example but there's also Rambo, seriously watch the first films ending and see how messed up he is in the head, then watch the sequels where he's pretty much a killing machine. Lethal Weapon 1 has Mel Gibsons character trying to kill himself, then there's little or no mention of this in the sequels as they become more buddy cop films.
need I mention the second conan movie?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #215 on: 15 Dec 2012, 14:46 »

I just watched the new Hobbit movie and I really liked it.

Same here.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #216 on: 17 Dec 2012, 10:51 »

I want to go see the Hobbit as well soon enough.

And I just realised that I've completely forgotten what the Star Trek movie was about. Huh.

The movies I've watched recently are The Big Lebowski, Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2. Also The Usual Suspects, and it took until the very end of the movie for me to remember that I'd already seen it once. Well, seen the ending once, at least.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #217 on: 17 Dec 2012, 11:09 »

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385639/

It was... painfully terrible. Not even in a funny way most of the time. Just so, so bad.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ackblom12

« Reply #218 on: 17 Dec 2012, 11:22 »

Speaking of Star Trek, I just watched the reboot! It was fun, but it wasn't all that Star Treky.

DEATH BED! THE BED THAT EATS PEOPLE!

It really was horrible.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #219 on: 17 Dec 2012, 11:41 »

The rebooted Star Trek always felt like an extended advert for Apple Macs and Lens Flare 'R Us.

I'm also somewhat wary of Into Darkness, mainly because I can't see Benedict Cumberbatch of Khan Noonien Singh. Gary Mitchell, yes, I could that character, but not Khan.

ackblom12

« Reply #220 on: 17 Dec 2012, 11:45 »

I'm more weirded out that it's a Star Trek film with little to no space exploration.

Lupercal

« Reply #221 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:01 »

To be fair, a lot of the episodes are less exploratory and more just "oh we happened to stumble upon this planet and shit goes down". That was Next Gen, anyway (felt the same with TOS). Deep Space 9, well...they're in a stagnant space station. Zlich exploration. Voyager is more about voyaging than exploring, but a fair amount of each is done. Haven't seen too much of Bakula-Enterprise yet.

I quite liked the reboot, especially the idea of time travel. Very well done. But upon watching it recently I did notice a ridiculous amount of shakey-cam and lens flare that somewhat taint the experience (but I suppose forever more will be an easily recognisable trait of Abrahms).

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #222 on: 22 Dec 2012, 16:21 »

help - movie suggestions
A few yrs ago Maria and I watched the Kill Bill flicks for Xmas. We're looking for something along those line for this holiday. Any thoughts?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #223 on: 22 Dec 2012, 16:34 »

Oldboy?

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #224 on: 23 Dec 2012, 04:26 »

The more recent Tarantin0s?

Though Deathproof nearly bored me to tears.

Lupercal

« Reply #225 on: 23 Dec 2012, 06:22 »

Second Oldboy, and possibly Dead Man's Shoes for a good (British) revenge film.

If you want to see something in the cinema, Django Unchained!

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #226 on: 23 Dec 2012, 08:05 »

Thirding Old Boy, and if you enjoy it possibly check out I Saw The Devil after.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #227 on: 23 Dec 2012, 13:29 »

Deathproof was so bad compared to Planet Terror, I was happy when they decided to split them up for DVD release.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #228 on: 23 Dec 2012, 17:47 »

Deathproof was so bad compared to Planet Terror, I was happy when they decided to split them up for DVD release.

Are you guys kidding? Planet Terror was a piece of shit, it tried so hard to emulate old horror movies and got pretty much everything wrong. Death Proof on the other hand has the most entertaining car chases I've ever seen, and they take up a good third of the movie.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #229 on: 26 Dec 2012, 02:05 »

the hobbit was great.  can't get the misty mountains cold song out of my head.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #230 on: 26 Dec 2012, 11:22 »

Dredd.  I like it quite a bit more than the spoofy wannabe comedy that was released in the 90's with Stallone and Rob Schneider...

This is much more like the Dredd I remember from the comics.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #231 on: 26 Dec 2012, 17:40 »

Everyone has been saying it was really good, sadly I didn't have anyone to see it with. I'll have to check it when it comes to DVD

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #232 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:48 »

Are you guys kidding? Planet Terror was a piece of shit, it tried so hard to emulate old horror movies and got pretty much everything wrong. Death Proof on the other hand has the most entertaining car chases I've ever seen, and they take up a good third of the movie.

I don't remember much about Planet Terror and that´s rarely a good sign.

The car chase was great, best executed (ha!) car chase even maybe, but I didn't sympathise with the characters because they had bored me for what felt like the previous 2 hours of the movie.

I tried watching Fellowship Of The Ring again but after 20 minutes or so switched off and turned back to the infinitely more entertaining and rewarding german Radioplay from 1991.
Seriously, it´s the best thing to listen to on a cold rainy day of staying in.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #233 on: 27 Dec 2012, 07:15 »

Watched Half Baked, it was a lot more tame than I was expecting. Outside of the presence of weed, it wasn't really an adult movie, still, I got a few good laughs out of it when Dave Chappelle was speaking :P

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #234 on: 27 Dec 2012, 13:53 »

I just watched Django Unchained and it was a fun movie. It was definitely a Tarantino with all the blood and cursing, but with the light and funny side to it too. The best person in the movie was definitely Christoph Waltz or Sam Jackson, they stole the show away from the normally straight faced Jamie Foxx

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #235 on: 27 Dec 2012, 21:52 »

"Trapped in Paradise" with Nicholas Cage. Strangely amusing.
Worry Hat, Engage!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #236 on: 28 Dec 2012, 14:43 »

Life of Pi. Well worth seeing, though I have to say I didn't get the ending at all.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #237 on: 28 Dec 2012, 17:14 »

Life of Pi. Well worth seeing, though I have to say I didn't get the ending at all.

(click to show/hide)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #238 on: 28 Dec 2012, 17:36 »

The Hobbit (part I).  Good, but really long.  Tried to hard to be an action flick - the escape from the goblins made me think of that damn Indiana Jones movie with the mine carts...  but the music was great, the dwarves were fantastic, Radagast the Brown was a hoot, and all in all it was a nice compilation of work. 

I already mentioned the other movie I saw, Les Miserables, in another thread.  I thought it was fantastic.  Whether you knew he musical or ven the story or not, I think you'll appreciate the film. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bev

• Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #239 on: 29 Dec 2012, 00:49 »

Saw the Hobbit last night, and quite frankly, it's a piece of crap. Peter Jackson has really gone over the deep end with this one. It's far too long and stuffs in far too much crap that doesn't serve the story, just so Jackson can link it to the LOTR trilogy, instead of letting it stand on its own. This always should've been one family friendly movie and not so closely linked to the trilogy. Bilbo gets very little in the way of character development until his forced actions during the climax. The worst offenders are the cartoonish goblins and orcs that are renders in horrible CG instead of makeup, the goblin king comes off as horribly unbeleivable, while most of the action set pieces are set against fake backdrops. Hell, even the fire in the fireplace in Bilbos house was CG, it's just a horrid misuse of the technology that takes away from the grounded realism that the LOTR trilogy had with it's miniatures and make-up. Overall, it's a mess of a movie that doesn't have me excited at all for the next two films.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #240 on: 29 Dec 2012, 02:50 »

(click to show/hide)

No, I got the major point, I just didn't get what he meant by:

(click to show/hide)

Lupercal

« Reply #241 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:06 »

Saw the Hobbit last night, and quite frankly, it's a piece of crap. Peter Jackson has really gone over the deep end with this one. It's far too long and stuffs in far too much crap that doesn't serve the story, just so Jackson can link it to the LOTR trilogy, instead of letting it stand on its own. This always should've been one family friendly movie and not so closely linked to the trilogy. Bilbo gets very little in the way of character development until his forced actions during the climax. The worst offenders are the cartoonish goblins and orcs that are renders in horrible CG instead of makeup, the goblin king comes off as horribly unbeleivable, while most of the action set pieces are set against fake backdrops. Hell, even the fire in the fireplace in Bilbos house was CG, it's just a horrid misuse of the technology that takes away from the grounded realism that the LOTR trilogy had with it's miniatures and make-up. Overall, it's a mess of a movie that doesn't have me excited at all for the next two films.

I wouldn't go so far as to say its a piece of crap. I actually liked the fact that there was an amount of backstory involved. This was also a lot more "family friendly" than the Lord of the Rings. In what way was it linked to the original trilogy? The same characters are there (Gandalf, Elrond etc) and the beginning, I think, serves as a good jumping off point. Frodo is given "There and Back Again" or whatever its called by Bilbo at the end of Return of the King, so it seems only reasonable that Bilbo would be recollecting his adventure in this book.

Bilbo gets very little character development? I think he's given plenty of space throughout the film, to be honest. He was never a fighter - Tolkien made Bilbo a reluctant hero. Which is what I believe he was shown as throughout the film. I mean, Hobbits are pretty much the only characters we see actually develop over the entire film saga - everyone else is already pretty good at what they do.

I will agree that the CGI was misplaced and if you compare the lead Uruk-hai to the Pale Orc...one is a lot more believable than the other. As for the backdrops, I think Andy Serkis did a great job as second unit director. The action pieces are set against...New Zealand. I couldn't help noticing, again, the beautiful sweeping vistas and the wonderful untouched countryside that the country holds. There really is no other place on earth like NZ.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #242 on: 30 Dec 2012, 07:52 »

I have to agree that the goblin king was a low point.  It wasn't so much the cgi blubber, but rather the voice - it just didn't sound right.  Not the pitch or timbre, though it seemed a bit high - my problem was the accent.  I realize (according to my daughter) that he's some well known NZ actor, but the voivce just didn't fit the character!  Why should the goblin king come off as a high society twit with a cruel streak? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #243 on: 30 Dec 2012, 09:16 »

Why should the goblin king come off as a high society twit with a cruel streak? 

Because he's the Goblin King, not the Goblin Earl of Sandwich.

I dunno, I haven't even seen it yet. :psyduck:
Worry Hat, Engage!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #244 on: 30 Dec 2012, 09:54 »

I need a French film to watch (in french) for a project.  Any ideas?
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

ackblom12

« Reply #245 on: 30 Dec 2012, 10:12 »

Man Bites Dog

Keep in mind this movie, while amazingly well done, is the darkest of dark humor.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #246 on: 30 Dec 2012, 12:01 »

Wow...it better be for a final grade, if you're gonna use that movie. Good luck.
Worry Hat, Engage!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #247 on: 30 Dec 2012, 12:40 »

What kind of project is it?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #248 on: 30 Dec 2012, 16:17 »

Why should the goblin king come off as a high society twit with a cruel streak? 

Because he's the Goblin King, not the Goblin Earl of Sandwich.

I dunno, I haven't even seen it yet. :psyduck:

That's how I saw it too. His size and language were all above the other goblins cause he was there King.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #249 on: 30 Dec 2012, 20:59 »

What kind of project is it?

End of semester language deal, I basically just have to watch it actually.

Man Bites Dog looks good, I could probably get away with it for the project.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53   Go Up