THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 05:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 502295 times)

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #450 on: 29 May 2013, 16:38 »

I just watched Star Trek Into Darkness.

It was pretty mediocre; the film was pretty much non-stop action scenes, and it felt very over-dramatic. Also, the "emotional" scenes were near cringe-worthy. Not horrible though, and Cumberbatch was pretty cool.
I dunno..

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #451 on: 29 May 2013, 16:55 »

The emotional scenes were bromance, plain and simple. there was so much sexual tension between those characters it was hilarious xD

mtmerrick

« Reply #452 on: 29 May 2013, 21:06 »

Dad sat me down for a "history lesson" and we watched Airport 1975.  :psyduck:

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #453 on: 30 May 2013, 14:06 »

A history lesson in...70s Charlton Heston?

"If you want this plane,  you'll have to take it from my cold, dead hands!"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #454 on: 31 May 2013, 15:04 »

trying to convince a friend to watch "event horizon" as they liked dead space.  they are leery about watching it because it was made in '97.  Has anyone seen it recently to say whether it has stood the test of time?(16 years).
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ackblom12

« Reply #455 on: 31 May 2013, 15:07 »

It has.

Really though, 16 years old is too dated for them?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #456 on: 31 May 2013, 15:30 »

trying to convince a friend to watch "event horizon" as they liked dead space.  they are leery about watching it because it was made in '97.  Has anyone seen it recently to say whether it has stood the test of time?(16 years).

Event Horizon is one of the better horror films to come out of the late 90s. Honestly, its got a good cast, a good story and great effects. The age of the film shouldn't factor into whether or not someone watches it. Hell, I love watching the old Hammer horrors and most of them are 50-60 years old.

ackblom12

« Reply #457 on: 31 May 2013, 16:35 »

Thank you for reminding me to get ahold of all of the Hammer Horror films.

All of them.

Also, I still think In the Mouth of Madness gets far more flak than it deserves. Fantastic horror film.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2013, 17:22 by ackblom12 »

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #458 on: 31 May 2013, 20:02 »

Horror films are really the only genre films that hold up. That said, I hate horror films..  :roll:
I dunno..

ackblom12

« Reply #459 on: 31 May 2013, 20:11 »

There are a lot of genre films that would like to have a word with you. Especially ridiculous action films.

ackblom12

« Reply #460 on: 31 May 2013, 21:18 »

Xposting this from the BDSM thread.

I just got done watching a documentary called Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist and I highly recommend it, particularly if you are into BDSM, but I think others will also enjoy it. It's on American Netflix, not sure about other countries.

Bob Flanagan was born with Cystic Fibrosis. At the time of his death in 1996, the average life expectancy of someone with this condition was 17. He died at the age of 43. Now days they've got that average up to 37. He was a comedian, sideshow performer and artist who made his life and death a part of his art.  Most people will likely know him from the Nine Inch Nails video for Happiness in Slavery (be warned it's the uncut video and incredibly NSFW) in which he makes an appearance.

The documentary quite literally ends with Flanagan's funeral and it, as well as his book The Pain Journal, were released after his death.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #461 on: 01 Jun 2013, 07:31 »

There are a lot of genre films that would like to have a word with you. Especially ridiculous action films.

Not a fan  :angel:
I dunno..

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #462 on: 01 Jun 2013, 11:57 »

Horror films are really the only genre films that hold up. That said, I hate horror films..  :roll:

That's bullshit, horror films date as badly as anything else, often worse. No modern teen is going to actually find something like Psycho scary.

Actually Psycho might be a bad example.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ackblom12

« Reply #463 on: 01 Jun 2013, 12:05 »

A better way to say it is that most movies are not good, but some of them are great and/or incredibly enjoyable. This is the case no matter the genre.

Edit: Speaking of, I rewatched The Amityville Horror and I'm still confused as to why it ever got to be considered a horror classic. It does a great job of building up to the ending (which turns out to be not that great) and has a couple of great scenes, but it's really not that impressive of a horror film. It's just somewhere between okay and good. This is especially true since the 70's had such fantastic films as The Shining, The Excorcist, Suspiria and a shit load of other revolutionary horror.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2013, 12:16 by ackblom12 »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #464 on: 01 Jun 2013, 13:25 »

The Shining came out in 1980.

ackblom12

« Reply #465 on: 01 Jun 2013, 13:31 »

Ahh, could have sworn it was 79'. However, the point still stands. Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas, Dawn of the Dead, Alien, Shivers, Eraserhead, The Wicker Man, The Omen, etc. It's not even in the same league as any of the other 70's classics. Even The Legend of Hell House is a better movie.

Edit: Horror movies are SERIOUS GODDAMN BUSINESS.

Lupercal

« Reply #466 on: 01 Jun 2013, 16:02 »

The Wicker Man (Edward Woodward) will always bloody terrify me. The Nicholas Cage remake looks ridiculous and has had so much flack I've never tainted myself by watching it.

ackblom12

« Reply #467 on: 01 Jun 2013, 18:20 »

Oh you should. Greatest unintentional comedy ever made.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #468 on: 02 Jun 2013, 11:42 »

HOW'D IT GET BURNED?

NOT THE BEES

*punches Kathy Bates in the face*

I'll add that I think Showgirls is the greatest unintentional comedy ever made. I actually wrote a review of it on Amazon as if it was a comedy.

ackblom12

« Reply #469 on: 02 Jun 2013, 12:13 »

Showgirls is definitely in the top 3.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #470 on: 02 Jun 2013, 12:26 »

And what's your third entry? Troll 2? The Room? Birdemic? One of the classics.

ackblom12

« Reply #471 on: 02 Jun 2013, 12:39 »

I haven't actually seen The Room, which really needs to be remedied. However, and I just double checked (and triple) to confirm it wasn't actually intended to be a comedy, but my 3rd entry has got to be Night of the Lepus.

That shit was actually intended to be a serious Monster of the Week horror film in 1972. The last 2 or 3 minutes of the film is nothing but a bunch of soldiers shooting and electrocuting adorable bunnies.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 12:52 by ackblom12 »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #472 on: 02 Jun 2013, 13:53 »

HADDIGEHBURD

Fixed that for you.

The Room is a great watch. One my partner showed me was The Amazing Bulk, it's shot entirely in front of a green screen.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #473 on: 02 Jun 2013, 14:18 »

I have never seen a film that is so wall-to-wall brilliantly terrible as The Room. It is remarkably competent for a bad movie in some ways (some of the green screening is appalling, some of it is among the best I've ever seen) and it has its heart in the right place (it has an anti-drugs message in all of one scene) but the central character (writer and director too by the way) is so much of a failure even at speaking the English language that you can't help but love it.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #474 on: 02 Jun 2013, 14:20 »

I remember being so confused about the roof scenes, trying to work out why the background looked so weird. I think it's a painted set. Painted sets aren't really bad or weird but something about it just confuses my eyes.

mtmerrick

« Reply #475 on: 02 Jun 2013, 18:02 »

Saw sherlock holmes game of shadows last night. Enjoyable,  but not half as good as the first one.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #476 on: 02 Jun 2013, 18:15 »

Saw it (Game of Shadows) last year, and I thought it was fairly decent, especially when you consider that was the first of three pretty big films in quick succession so he would have most likely filmed large chunks of those films around a tight time frame. So it wouldn't have surprised me if it was one of the weaker films he's done in recent years.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #477 on: 03 Jun 2013, 00:07 »

Just watched Into Darkness. I was impressed, pretty darn good.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #478 on: 04 Jun 2013, 09:42 »

The Doomsday Machine, 1972.

The film opened up an opportunity for me, the kind you don't always get in a lifetime.

I now can say of a movie "This could have been improved by consultation from Ed Wood".

Bring this to Bad Movie Night and you will crush the competition and cause them to give up forever.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ackblom12

« Reply #479 on: 04 Jun 2013, 16:08 »

Just as a note about how The Mandarin was handled in Iron Man 3, as great as I thought it was, this is a different POV that is quite true and well argued. It also goes into the whitewashing of Khan in Star Trek: Into Darkness.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #480 on: 04 Jun 2013, 16:10 »

I watched Revolver yesterday. I still am SO CONFUSED. :psyduck:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #481 on: 10 Jun 2013, 09:00 »

So I finally got netflix yesterday and my friend at work always argues with me that Transformers 3 is the greatest action movie ever.  I havnt seen it because after the mess that was TF2 I had no real desire.  Now I plan to see it this week at some point but wanted some forumite opinions of TF3 and whether it is the greatest action movie ever (or best action bits ever).
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Lupercal

« Reply #482 on: 10 Jun 2013, 14:21 »

I think this friend secretly hates you if he's telling you things like that.

Naww, but seriously, I didn't mind Dark of the Moon as much as TF2, but can't for the life of me remember what happens. It's worth a watch, once, but you won't need to ever revisit the series afterwards. Perhaps the first one if you're feeling nostalgic.

ackblom - funny video! But interesting too. You sort of wonder sometimes if Hollywood is afraid that by putting a non-white character is a main villian upsets the politically correct masses that don't really exist. He did mention the whole China thing, but how many of this year's biggest films will be shown there? 34 allowed, not sure how many remain for 2013.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #483 on: 10 Jun 2013, 15:49 »

The best thing Dark of the Moon did was get rid of the redneck twins. Aside from that it was just as bad as Revenge of the Fallen

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #484 on: 11 Jun 2013, 06:15 »

Naww, but seriously, I didn't mind Dark of the Moon as much as TF2, but can't for the life of me remember what happens. It's worth a watch, once, but you won't need to ever revisit the series afterwards. Perhaps the first one if you're feeling nostalgic.

I think I must be the only person in the world who liked RotF more than DotM.. See, when you watch a transformers movie, you've got to take certain precaution; ignore the film every time anyone speaks; ignore the films every time any human character is the focus of the screen; ignore the film every time Bay wanks of to military stuff; ignore the film every time it tries to progress it's plot outside of fighting scenes.

Now that you're good to go, enjoy that awesome forest battle. DotM is too much chaotic New York.
I dunno..

TheEvilDog

« Reply #485 on: 11 Jun 2013, 08:38 »

DotM is too much chaotic New York.

Wasn't DotM in Chicago?

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #486 on: 11 Jun 2013, 09:38 »

DotM is too much chaotic New York.

Wasn't DotM in Chicago?

What do I know, the point is too much big city action scenes that I've seen a million times before, and that I honestly don't find very interesting.
I dunno..

ackblom12

« Reply #487 on: 13 Jun 2013, 05:07 »

So I've decided everyone should watch House at some point in their lives. It's amazing in all the the most bizarre ways.

Seriously, just check out these scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLu6tySol7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxtNIc08Y-M

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #488 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:11 »

Just watched The Invention of Lying with Ricky Gervais.

The premise is that lying was somehow never invented. Okay, I can live with that. But somehow, the world is pretty much completely the same as ours. I had to fight suspension of disbelief quite often. I mean. I get that they never heard of a "lie", not even of "lie by omission", but apparently they never heard of the concept of contradictory sources either.

What is more important is, they have computers. I am not even sure you can invent any kind of logic system without a concept of lies.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #489 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:23 »

What is more important is, they have computers. I am not even sure you can invent any kind of logic system without a concept of lies.
You can. A false statement is not the same as a lie, and logic is based on false and true statements, not Truths and Lies.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #490 on: 15 Jun 2013, 09:23 »

Yes, but I am not sure whether they have a concept of a false statement either. The guy who invents lying basically gets this:
 http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

mtmerrick

« Reply #491 on: 17 Jun 2013, 13:31 »

I think I must be the only person in the world who liked RotF more than DotM.. See, when you watch a transformers movie, you've got to take certain precaution; ignore the film every time anyone speaks; ignore the films every time any human character is the focus of the screen; ignore the film every time Bay wanks of to military stuff; ignore the film every time it tries to progress it's plot outside of fighting scenes.

Now that you're good to go, enjoy that awesome forest battle. DotM is too much chaotic New York.

No, I enjoyed ROTF much more than DOTM as well. Much better dumb action movie. DOTM tried way too hard to have a plot.

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #492 on: 20 Jun 2013, 18:06 »

On topic: I watched Ingman Bergman's "Persona".

I, uh... Can't really i enjoyed the film, but i can recognize it was ambitious and formidable. Even if it wasn't as good as other film classics i watched (like Godard or Kurosawa) i do have to admire the experimentation and unconvential narrative and technique of this film. It's just that... I don't know, there were a couple things that i found very interesting in the film, and it's thematics were quite ambitious, but... There's just something about the film that i found deeply disturbing.

I feel like a pleb/dick for saying this, but i really hope Bergman's films aren't very much like this. Oh well, i'll always have Godard.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #493 on: 24 Jun 2013, 00:11 »

From startrekcontinues.com, the episode "Pilgrim of Eternity".

It exceeded my expectations. It would be easy to criticize, but the same criticisms could have applied to the original TV show.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mtmerrick

« Reply #494 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:07 »

Watched Treasure Planet last night.

I loved this movie as a kid.

It was really hard to watch.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #495 on: 24 Jun 2013, 06:39 »

I forgot how much Goo Goo Dolls was in it.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #496 on: 24 Jun 2013, 08:28 »

Watched Treasure Planet last night.

I loved this movie as a kid.

It was really hard to watch.

Hard as in considerably less enjoyable than you remembered? Or feels train?
I dunno..

mtmerrick

« Reply #497 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:54 »

As in parts hitting way to close to home.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #498 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:28 »

I love that movie!

I may still have plans to make a (probably compressed-gas-powered and probably much more like a BTTF hoverboard) solar surfer. Does anyone have a few snow/surfboards I can destroy?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #499 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:52 »

Man of Steel.

Was alright.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 53   Go Up