THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488218 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #550 on: 15 Aug 2013, 06:26 »

Wolverine. I enjoyed it and it  led to some cool discussions afterwards.

ackblom12

« Reply #551 on: 19 Aug 2013, 15:15 »

This is either going to be incredible or painful to watch.

ackblom12

« Reply #552 on: 19 Aug 2013, 18:46 »

I just finished Chang-wook Park's (he directed the Vengeance Trilogy) Joint Security Area.

It is about an incident that occurs on the Northern side of the Korean bridge in which 2 Northern officers are killed, and a 3rd shot, by a Southern soldier. Both governments agree to an investigation by the Neutral Nations Supervisory Commission to find out what happened. It's really great and a more than a bit heartbreaking.

Edit: Man, the more I think about it the more down I get. I should go find food. But seriously, you should watch it.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2013, 19:03 by ackblom12 »

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #553 on: 21 Aug 2013, 17:02 »

Saw Kick-Ass 2 tonight. in many ways I think I enjoyed it more than I did the first movie, in spite of the violence fetish. I suspect I'd enjoy the comics far less :o

Saw Elysium and enjoyed it thoroughly, plotholes and accents and all. Saw Now You See Me and, while i thought it was fun, I couldn't help but think that the script didn't do the actors justice. The main "twist" wasn't entirely satisfying. It was a little fun seeing Pont Neuf just hours after we'd hung out there though :o
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

ackblom12

« Reply #554 on: 25 Aug 2013, 23:04 »

Just finished The Purge. It's pretty ham handed on the social commentary, but it never pretended it wasn't going to be. It was a lot more enjoyable than I was expecting and it had a near perfect ending that involved Lena Headley forcing polite behavior via the butt of a shotgun and a glass table.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #555 on: 26 Aug 2013, 07:50 »

Saw Kick-Ass 2 tonight. in many ways I think I enjoyed it more than I did the first movie, in spite of the violence fetish. I suspect I'd enjoy the comics far less :o

Saw Elysium and enjoyed it thoroughly, plotholes and accents and all. Saw Now You See Me and, while i thought it was fun, I couldn't help but think that the script didn't do the actors justice. The main "twist" wasn't entirely satisfying. It was a little fun seeing Pont Neuf just hours after we'd hung out there though :o

Yeah, the Kick-Ass movies are definitely better than the comics. The first comic was alright, though the movie was way better, but I couldn't even read through the second comic because of how terrible it was.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #556 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:42 »

I watched "LAST STAND" on Friday night.
I liked it; but that movie can't decide to be either a Comedy Western or a Dramatic Western.
C+ tho.

Sunday night was "OBLIVION".
Despite being a Tom Cruise film, it was Very Well Done.
Classic Sci-Fi with just enough Humanity.
The story-telling was rather choppy and disjointed at points.
B+, because I've seen better.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #557 on: 27 Aug 2013, 02:26 »

I just watched "RISE OF THE GUARDIANS"
It's a fun movie to watch, considering it's a children's movie. But then again, I like these kind of movies.
It's a typical kids movie (Good guy gets enroped to save the world, bad guy shows its teeth, good guy get depression and magical revival, and kicks bad guy-butt.), and you really shouldn't watch it critically. It's just a fun movie to watch without having to think to much.
No, I do not give out free kisses. Gross.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #558 on: 27 Aug 2013, 08:08 »

I loved it for the animation and the fact that Alec Baldwin was Santa Claus

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #559 on: 27 Aug 2013, 08:49 »

I prefered Jude Law as the Boogyman, myself. The entire character reminded me of Benedict Cumberbatch, however.
No, I do not give out free kisses. Gross.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #560 on: 27 Aug 2013, 10:36 »

This is either going to be incredible or painful to watch.

ackblom12

« Reply #561 on: 03 Sep 2013, 18:29 »

The director is the same man who brought us such gems as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Wanted, Night Watch and Day Watch. Not exactly the most consistent track record around. But I'm willing to give something that sounds this stupid a try.

Onto much better films, this isn't a recently watched post, but I think this is the thread where this article makes the most sense.

Something Terrible Happened Here: The Crazy Story of How "Clue" Went from Forgotten Flop to Cult Triumph

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #562 on: 03 Sep 2013, 19:35 »

I just watched Redtails and it was so bad. Just....so bad. I wanted to watch Simpsons but my cousin just kept it on in the background.

Grognard

« Reply #563 on: 03 Sep 2013, 20:48 »

REDTAILS as a story already has everything a GREAT movie could need.
but then HollyWeird got a hold of it and ruined the entire thing.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #564 on: 04 Sep 2013, 14:01 »

Saw the Alan Partridge movie. It's quite funny, not as funny as one would hope - probably an hour's worth of jokes fitted into 90 minutes. Also, Steve Coogan just looked like Steve Coogan, not like Alan. He looks younger now than he did in the second season of I'm Alan Partridge.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ackblom12

« Reply #565 on: 05 Sep 2013, 18:05 »

So two things.

First, I was reminded of a pair of bad horror films called Subspecies and Bloodstone: Subspecies II earlier today. When I decided to rewatch them I discovered something wonder and terrible... there are actually 5 in the series! I'm about to go down a bad movie rabbit hole.

Also, the first trailer for the Robocop reboot was released and it looks a hell of a lot better than I was expecting.

ackblom12

« Reply #566 on: 07 Sep 2013, 19:42 »

Just finishing up the Subspecies franchise. Oh the wonderful world of 90's direct to video horror films.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #567 on: 07 Sep 2013, 20:15 »

That Robocop trailer doesn't sit right with me. Also the fact that it's not set in/filmed in Detroit. This is a nice little description of it

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #568 on: 10 Sep 2013, 11:05 »

So, this weekend I watched World War Z - which I liked immensely, and now I want the book.  Was going to buy it the other day until a cashier pissed me the fuck off, and I walked out of the store without buying anything.

Then I watched RIPD - which I liked less, but was entertaining nonetheless.  My kids liked it, if that tells you anything.

And then I watched Empire State, which to be honest, I'm not sure what to make of.  I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't overly impressed either.  The acting was better than I expected, and there was a point where I literally wanted to kill one of the characters, because he reminded me of people I've known like him, and he was so convincing, I wanted to visit bodily harm on him - the character, not the actor.  The only star I recognized was 'The Rock' and even his character wasn't over the top.  It's strange seeing him in a role like that - one that is very realistic.  He did it very well.  I guess, if you have a couple hours to waste, and some popcorn already popping, you could do worse than Empire State.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #569 on: 10 Sep 2013, 11:17 »

GO GET THE BOOK!! It's so much better than the movie.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #570 on: 10 Sep 2013, 12:11 »

I'm currently reading the book (well, I put it down during the summer due to reasons and am returning to it now) and didn't see the film because from what I heard, they are basically unrelated other than the name?

Rewatched Thor the other night. It's still really fun.

ackblom12

« Reply #571 on: 10 Sep 2013, 12:15 »

Yeah, the only thing they really have in common is the setting of a zombie apocalypse, but even that is so incredibly different that it's kind of ridiculous.

Grognard

« Reply #572 on: 10 Sep 2013, 13:05 »

World War Z the book is really awesome.
Definitly recommended.

ackblom12

« Reply #573 on: 11 Sep 2013, 18:21 »

Huh, so I tried getting through the original season of American Horror Story previously, but I felt like having a long form horror story had way too many problems. (For a good example of a horror series, I highly recommend Kingdom Hospital) The reliance on cliff hangers, keeping tension going between episodes etc etc. So I wasn't caring too much about the 3rd season that's about to start, until I saw this picture...

HOLY SHIT! Angela Basset, Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange as the classic trio of witches? I feel terrible for whoever they're giving the stink-eye.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #574 on: 11 Sep 2013, 18:55 »

I was wondering about Kathy Bates since this is the first thing I saw for it

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #575 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:12 »

GO GET THE BOOK!! It's so much better than the movie.

Reading it now.  Enjoying it so far.  Not quite what I was expecting, but good.  :)
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #576 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:54 »

I got to explain to my dentist the World War Z book and movie situation today after I showed her Pariah

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #577 on: 15 Sep 2013, 18:33 »

I saw "Silent Running" the other night.  The movie's moral can be summed up as "synthetic is bad because it isn't natural, and natural is good because it isn't synthetic." 

It was like a hybrid of "I am Legend" and "WALL-E" but a lot less charming.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #578 on: 16 Sep 2013, 00:46 »

It's at times like that that I point out that arsenic is natural.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #579 on: 16 Sep 2013, 15:22 »

I just watched Epic in a theater all by myself. The movie was pretty good, I enjoyed the animation and it was better than Blue Sky's other series.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #580 on: 17 Sep 2013, 15:21 »

"This is the End" was all right but way too much yelling about cumming on things. Some aspects were great while others were just disappointing. I really didn't like Seth Rogen in this one :o

"The World's End" was better and pretty enjoyable. It didn't hook me like its predecessors and, despite the common theme, it felt like a different beast altogether... but in a good way. Perhaps it was because Frost played the straight man for once. Perhaps it was because it was a more serious and pessimistic movie. Perhaps it was because Pegg portrayed an entirely new and unexpectedly tragic kind of character. I dunno, but it was a nice experience more or less from beginning to end (apart from the dialogue during the showdown between the Network and Gary/Pegg).

Saw "Tower Heist" tonight. I wasn't sure what I should (or dared to) expect :o but it was a fun caper and made the time pass. The ensemble didn't work all that well as a group, but Stiller and Alda, Stiller and Affleck and even Stiller and Leoni worked well. I'd forgotten how much I like Ben Stiller :)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #581 on: 18 Sep 2013, 10:28 »

My girlfriend has been busy lately so I've been watching lots of movies and then immediately afterwards watching their commentaries. I recently seemingly had a Ben Stiller day.

Tropic Thunder is still a highly flawed movie, but with some magnificently biting satire - it suffers from Up syndrome, namely that the film cannot live up to its incredible opening sequence. Also, the 'you never go full retard' speech is still magnificently accurate. The commentary, on the other hand, is possibly more fun - Ben Stiller, Jack Black and a still-in-character Robert Downey Jnr., as referenced in a throwaway line from the final cut ('I don't break character until after the DVD commentary.') This even includes him putting on an Australian accent when his character stops pretending to be a black guy. It's actually probably funnier than the movie.

I saw Zoolander, although I didn't watch the commentary. The film is still a solid three out of five, funny but not especially diverting. David Bowie is hilarious. Could use more Bowie in comedies. His weird delivery makes funny lines even funnier. I also love that Fred Durst is in it briefly. The guy has more capacity for self parody than I think people realise.

Dodgeball is a very funny movie, and I still love it. The commentary, however, is amazing - it's half an hour of Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughan, the director and some sound engineers arguing, before those three walk out and the engineers put on the commentary for There's Something About Mary. This continues for the remainder of the film. So funny.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #582 on: 18 Sep 2013, 13:24 »

I saw this film a little while ago and forgot to mention it.

The Heat was great. Really good laughs but I was worried its best jokes were in the trailer and this was not totally the case. Great jokes in the trailer but plenty of the same level throughout the film. Melissa McCarthy is brilliant.

Grognard

« Reply #583 on: 18 Sep 2013, 18:25 »

The Heat is a movie that my wife and I want to watch together.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #584 on: 22 Sep 2013, 02:53 »

Not to be confused with Heat, which is probably the greatest action movie ever made.

So this weekend, after embarrassingly not realising I had to pay to do so, I rented four films from the library. I watched three of them yesterday (I WAS BORED, OKAY?).

First watch was The Campaign, which for those who don't know is a political satire starring Will Ferrell and Zack Galfiankf... Galipoli... Galifanfkae... the guy from The Hangover. It's just not very funny, there's not much to it, it's not especially well written and there's no legitimately skewering satirical moments in it, which is bizarre because the cast is INSANELY good, Brian Cox, John Lithgow, Dan Ackroyd and more.

Second watch was Ted, which is just... well, a Seth Macfarlane movie, as much as can be expected. 80s references, lots of stuff we've seen before... it's quite funny in a few places, but it's just not that good, really. It has an interesting concept and could've been so much better than it is.

Final watch was Looper, which despite a plot hole or two, is pretty awesome. The kid in this movie is scary as fuck. I don't know how they got such an adult performance out of such a little kid but it's brilliant to the point of unsettling. Also, there is an incompetent, borderline comic relief character who serves virtually no plot purpose, or at least logically shouldn't exist. Plus the awkward shift in pace at the midway point is kind of ridiculous.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #585 on: 22 Sep 2013, 04:12 »

I recently re-watched Ted. I just see it as a live-action Family Guy. Most of the voice cast are in it, anyway.

Looper I think is great due to the fact that the premise on explaining time travel goes thusly:

"Okay, I'm going to explain how time travels works, and I'm only going to say this once: go fuck yourself"

Just for the record, is the incompetent guy the guy who lets his future self go, or the guy who blows his toes off with that huge pistol? Also, Bruce Willis seemingly gave a shit about his performance, which cannot be said about the franchises he is hanging on to, like the last 2 Die Hards and Red/Red 2. The pace change is quite weird, because the first half of the film sets up for a climax between Abe's crime syndicate and Joe (and a simultaneous revelation between older Joe and the Rainmaker) but it all becomes a bit buried. Still brilliant though, the kind of sci-fi I think modern cinema needs, and certainly a good break from comic book SF and the kind of Back to the Future explanations that have no space in a film dealing with murder and drug abuse.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #586 on: 22 Sep 2013, 07:02 »

Yeah it pretty much was just that. Some parts of it were quite funny. Ryan Reynolds' cameo with Patrick Wartburton was hilarious, as was basically everything Warburton said.

And yeah I mean the guy who blows his toes off. I mercifully thought they just killed him off halfway through when he fucked up yet again, but no, somehow he is still around.

And yeah it's still a great film, I love the concept and the explanation. It's so simple but so perfect, like a real loop. It certainly has more original ideas than a lot of sci-fi around at the moment.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #587 on: 22 Sep 2013, 13:39 »

Speaking of Looper, I had a chance to rewatch Brick at work the other day.

It was the first feature length from Rian Johnson, same director as Looper (and the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad), and it's pretty cool in a noir-set-in-modern-high-school way.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #588 on: 22 Sep 2013, 14:31 »

I watched Brick for my media class (the first time I took it and was a dumb seventeen year old) and all I can remember is one of the character's looked identical to a lad I had a crush on back then. This made writing an analysis of it quite hard because we watched it in class and I couldn't find a copy to rewatch.

ackblom12

« Reply #589 on: 22 Sep 2013, 14:33 »

Brick and Looper are both amazing movies to me. For Looper though, my favorite thing outside of the middle finger to explaining time travel was that TK was a totally useless power for everyone but the kid.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #590 on: 22 Sep 2013, 16:28 »

Sharknado.

Best. Movie. Ever.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #591 on: 22 Sep 2013, 18:15 »

I just watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the first time in years and it was the first time I noticed that Sam Rockwell was in it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #592 on: 23 Sep 2013, 13:31 »

Just watched the Star Trek remake, the last of my library rentals.

So uh... this is basically the greatest reboot in history, right? This film is an impossible amount of fun. It's incredibly dumb, has a big dumb heart beating at its centre, the characters are broad caricatures in the most lovable endearing sense, there are hints of time travel and WTFitude and it's absolutely swimming in the show's mythology without that being a detriment to a new fan coming in. It's basically the perfect remake, and possibly even the perfect Star Trek film, although it's been so long since I saw most of those I probably can't make such a comment.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #593 on: 23 Sep 2013, 20:29 »

I saw Woody Allen's "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask)."

I would have liked it better if there was more gameshow sequence and less giant boob chase.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #594 on: 26 Sep 2013, 17:42 »

I just watched The Big Year with Jack Black, Steve Martin, and Owen Wilson. It's a movie about birdwatchers going for a record number of sightings in a single year, also known as the Big Year, and what they do in that year. Knowing next to nothing about bird watching I really enjoyed it. It's really funny, heck it has to be with jack Black and Steve Martin in the cast, but also really heartfelt cause it shows what they give up to do what they love.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #595 on: 28 Sep 2013, 12:57 »

This doesn't technically count as a movie I just watched, because a) it's not a movie and b) I haven't watched it, but bear with me here... I cycled through a film set earlier this week! I stopped and asked someone what was going on, and apparently it's some kind of 1970s thriller starring Brian Cox which will be on the BBC in February next year (thinking about it, it's probably going to be a series rather than a film, but with the BBC there's not a huge distinction). I hadn't ever heard of Brian Cox but I nodded and said "ooooh!" like I knew who he was and was impressed. Should I have been impressed? I shall watch it purely to spot the bit I saw being filmed, assuming I even recognise the houses.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #596 on: 28 Sep 2013, 14:34 »

starring Brian Cox

This is a lie - I have confused myself by thinking "oh hey, that actor's name sounds like Brian Cox" and now I can't remember the actual name.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #597 on: 28 Sep 2013, 14:38 »

Currently watching 'The Purge'.  I don't know what I think yet.

My blog

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #598 on: 28 Sep 2013, 14:50 »

starring Brian Cox

This is a lie - I have confused myself by thinking "oh hey, that actor's name sounds like Brian Cox" and now I can't remember the actual name.

Aw, I wanted to link this

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #599 on: 28 Sep 2013, 15:02 »

Maybe it's this Brian Cox?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 53   Go Up