THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 15:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 501300 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #600 on: 28 Sep 2013, 15:25 »

Kris wins! I really muddled myself but yes, it is him indeed. The show is called The Game. I managed to track it down by searching on the local news.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #601 on: 28 Sep 2013, 15:30 »

Woo! I knew there was an actor named Brian Cox because I remember reading something about him and confusing him with science guy Brian Cox too.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #602 on: 28 Sep 2013, 15:45 »

Brian Cox is one of my favourite actors and I hate that name stealing science cunt.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Metope

« Reply #603 on: 28 Sep 2013, 15:59 »

But he's so dreamy. And smart and soft spoken with great hair, it's all I ever wanted in science.

Metope

« Reply #604 on: 28 Sep 2013, 16:03 »

And he has talents within the arts as well! So cultured.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #605 on: 28 Sep 2013, 16:11 »

But he's so dreamy. And smart and soft spoken with great hair, it's all I ever wanted in science.

And there are the only reasons anyone gives a fuck about him.

Science itself has sold out, people.

Metope

« Reply #606 on: 28 Sep 2013, 16:14 »

I don't care. Swoon.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #607 on: 03 Oct 2013, 16:52 »

I just watched the Man with the Iron Fists, and it was alright. Though for some reason I thought Idris Alba was in it. Watching Batista made me hopeful for him playing Drax the Destroyer.

It's weird seeing Lucy Lu in it after having binged on Elementary
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2013, 20:08 by Blue Kitty »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #608 on: 04 Oct 2013, 14:23 »

I think this is like saying maths has sold out because Rachel Riley does the numbers round on Countdown. If they were just pretty faces who had no idea what they were talking about, maybe I'd agree but I don't think it's unreasonable to try and make topics that a lot of people find dull and complicated more palatable by having someone likable talk about them. Full disclosure: I've only seen Brian Cox on Qi, don't watch his shows.

~ ~

I watched Insidious. Like most horror films I liked it up until the last twenty minutes, but even then I still quite liked it. I can relate to fear of things going bump and things moving in the corner of my eyes. I'm not scared of demons, so putting one right in front of me, no matter how spooky and aggressive it's acting, is just lost on me, fear-wise. I just wonder how long that actor spent in make-up.

ackblom12

« Reply #609 on: 04 Oct 2013, 14:29 »

I think most of my issue with Insidious, despite recognizing how good it was, was that anytime the stereotypical 'paranormal investigators' come on screen I immediately roll my eyes and start nit picking.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #610 on: 04 Oct 2013, 14:43 »

I was thinking about that and thought it was odd considering James Wan tried so hard with The Conjuring. Plus I ignore any time a film is "Based on true events" and try to take it as a standalone story.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #611 on: 05 Oct 2013, 05:32 »

I think this is like saying maths has sold out because Rachel Riley does the numbers round on Countdown. If they were just pretty faces who had no idea what they were talking about, maybe I'd agree but I don't think it's unreasonable to try and make topics that a lot of people find dull and complicated more palatable by having someone likable talk about them. Full disclosure: I've only seen Brian Cox on Qi, don't watch his shows.

~ ~

I watched Insidious. Like most horror films I liked it up until the last twenty minutes, but even then I still quite liked it. I can relate to fear of things going bump and things moving in the corner of my eyes. I'm not scared of demons, so putting one right in front of me, no matter how spooky and aggressive it's acting, is just lost on me, fear-wise. I just wonder how long that actor spent in make-up.

Oh obviously, I don't actually think science has sold out, Brian Cox just irritates the living shit out of me.

As for Insidious, it's a classic case of two acts of great buildup and one act of 'is that it?'

The second the demon ended up being a dude in a suit, it all fell to pieces. I thought everything leading up to it was by-numbers but effective horror.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #612 on: 05 Oct 2013, 06:10 »

Saw The Man From Earth again last night with the missus, who'd never seen it before. First time 'round I kinda liked it but felt that the "religious figure" bit ruined things for me. This time it was very different. I already knew about that "twist" and so, since I knew it was coming, I could just relax and properly enjoy the film--the frame story, John's story, the conversation, the music, the characters... it was really nice! I had not expected this film to hold up to a second viewing.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #613 on: 05 Oct 2013, 09:31 »

Watched 'The Lone Ranger' last night.  I enjoyed it quite a bit, and even after watching the movie, I have no idea why anyone would have thought Depp's performance as a Comanche was offensive.  I'm Choctaw and Comanche myself, and I thought he did a great job. 

This movie's not going to win any awards, but the whole time I was watching, I kept remembering the old TV show, and it brought back a lot of great memories.  Overall, I thought they did a fantastic job of capturing the spirit of the series and while some of the tongue in cheek humor made me roll my eyes, it didn't detract too much from the rest of the movie.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #614 on: 06 Oct 2013, 21:34 »

Gravity.

All I can say is, I hate to be 'that guy', but a basic knowledge (and I mean high-school-and-videogames-level knowledge) of physics completely ruined it for me. I can suspend disbelief to a point (Pacific Rim was AWESOME!) but the writing and plot wasn't enough to smooth over the blinding stupidity of Bullock's character and the complete disregard for basic conservation of momentum.

On the other hand I rewatched Heat this weekend, and what a great fucking film.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #615 on: 06 Oct 2013, 23:40 »

I guess I'm glad I don't remember physics because I fucking loved that movie.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

« Reply #616 on: 08 Oct 2013, 10:54 »

White House Down

I fully expected this movie to suck. I thought it might even be worse than Olympus Has Fallen, which I could barely get through. Instead I found myself watching the whole thing and even getting a little teary eyed at what should have been the cheesiest most revolting scene of the entire movie. God damned hormones :o I think I can forgive the black stereotypes.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #617 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:54 »

I talked about it earlier in the thread, but what I remember from the movie is how much it owes to Die Hard.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #618 on: 08 Oct 2013, 13:50 »

I didn't bother with Olympus but I loved WHD. From what I've heard about Olympus it's equally absurd, but at least WHD embraces its absurdity. Also Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx worked incredibly well off each other.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Metope

« Reply #619 on: 08 Oct 2013, 14:49 »

Oh god, I watched Olympus when I was with my bf, he said it was going to be bad but I didn't realise exactly how bad. When it was done we were wondering if we should watch it again and do a drinking game where seeing the American flag = one sip, but we decided not to because A) We'd end up dead within an hour, and B) We'd have to watch it again.

ackblom12

« Reply #620 on: 08 Oct 2013, 23:04 »

I just saw The Innkeepers. Holy shit it was so much better than I was expecting. The atmosphere they created had an absolutely ridiculous amount of tension.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #621 on: 10 Oct 2013, 19:24 »

re-watching "The Naked Gun" again.  This movie is required watching! Its sooo good! Its timeless!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #622 on: 11 Oct 2013, 13:06 »

I just watched Trick R Treat and I thought it was pretty good. Pretty tame horror with nice twists, and I especially loved how all the stories were interconnected.

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #623 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:27 »

So, i just watched My neighbor Totoro.

It feels rather bad to say this, but whereas the experience with Nausicaa or Spirited Away was mystical and overpowering, my reaction to Totoro was rather... It was lukewarm. It was a great film, and on technical aspects it was great, it managed to draw emotion out of me, but... I don't know, it just wasn't the same as other Miyazaki films.

I don't know, i guess my inner child is dead or something. Which kind of ties to what i feel was probably the reason i didn't enjoy it so much, it just wasn't a film for me or at least for my state of mind at the time. I kinda didn't let myself purely fall into the whimsical innocence of the film. I could understand and appreciate it, but i just didn't really feel it. If anything i guess the movie reminded me why i tend to not like children so much.

That said, the movie was pretty cute. Satsuki was as sweet as she was irritating (god so much screaming and childishness) but overall she was pretty lovable. Other characters aside from Totoro didn't make much of an impression. I guess i could say the same for most of the film. I just didn't feel the magic this time.

As a bit of an addendum, i rewatched some bits of the film and the reaction softened up somewhat. One thing i would need to add is that i feel a lot of my underwhelment with the film was probably due to watching the film as an adult rather than appreciating/enjoying them as a child. Letting myself get a bit more innocent/emotional with some of the film, i was significantly more appreciative of it, Satsuki wasn't very, if at all, irritating on the re-watches. Not enought to change my overall impression (I still find Nausicaa or Porco Rosso much better films) but now i don't feel really "underwhelmed" by Totoro.

Eh, i don't know. Maybe my opinion will change with a more thorough re-watch.

In any case, next Miyazaki film i'll see is Cagliostro.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #624 on: 13 Oct 2013, 20:37 »

Give Ponyo a try.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #625 on: 14 Oct 2013, 00:40 »

I think Ponyo is the only one of his movies I saw and unfortunately I was not impressed.   :-\ It was interesting but again that's just one little bears opinion.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #626 on: 18 Oct 2013, 12:41 »

I just watched Shadow of the Vampire and it was pretty good, I especially loved Willem Dafoe and John Malcovich

ackblom12

« Reply #627 on: 18 Oct 2013, 12:46 »

I don't think Ponyo is one of his better films, though I do quite enjoy it. I feel like Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are really the big ones that I'd hold up as incredible films that everyone should give a shit.

Edit: Ok, I swear that was supposed to be shot, not shit.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2013, 12:54 by ackblom12 »

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #628 on: 18 Oct 2013, 12:53 »

Saw Insidious 2 and I'm gonna say it's better and I enjoyed it more than the first one.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #629 on: 18 Oct 2013, 13:24 »

Isn't spirited away basically about a little girl in a "bath house"
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #630 on: 18 Oct 2013, 13:24 »

Mind using a spoiler instead of small text?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #631 on: 18 Oct 2013, 13:27 »

sorry force of habit, other forums don't have the spoiler system so I use tiny type..  :psyduck: I'll fix it.

ackblom12

« Reply #632 on: 18 Oct 2013, 13:39 »

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #633 on: 18 Oct 2013, 13:43 »

I forgot where I read/saw it but the guy saw it
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2013, 13:50 by LeeC »

Aimless

« Reply #634 on: 18 Oct 2013, 19:09 »

This has not been a great week, movie-wise.

City of Bones -- kinda meh in almost every way. Her eyebrows and his brooding face really didn't work with me. Mrs. Fredericks was hella sweet though :o

Man of Tai Chi -- I hoped against hope that a modern martial arts movie featuring tai chi would at least be okay. It was instead the first movie I've seen in a long time that made me think, "Omg, this is actually kinda shit." Apart from the Master, I didn't like a single character/actor in the movie. Instead I found them to be very off-putting.

Despicable Me 2 -- not as good as it's predecessor. Had its moments but mostly it felt like a string of unusually infantile gags loosely tied together with, er, string. I liked the ending and of course El Macho :o

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #635 on: 19 Oct 2013, 01:24 »

Paprika.  Pretty weird, and gorgeously animated.  Merging of dreams and real life - the sort of thing I like, just as I enjoy the crossing over of consciousness into the network (Serial Experiments Lain; Ghost in the Shell; etc).  Now for the book, after which the film again might be easier to follow...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #636 on: 20 Oct 2013, 14:33 »

L'Écume des Jours. It's a French surrealist film with subtitles that were apparently translated from French to English to Dutch. Needless to say, it was barmy as fuck all, and the subtitles were only slightly to blame for that.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #637 on: 20 Oct 2013, 15:31 »

barmy
I'd forgotten this was an actual word and not just May's nickname.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #638 on: 20 Oct 2013, 18:02 »

I figured a more commonplace word would fail to express just how bats-in-the-belfry bonkers this movie was.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #639 on: 20 Oct 2013, 19:41 »

I recently saw two movies.

First was “Big Fan.”  I thought this movie was going to be about a diehard New York Giants fan, but it’s actually about a guy who can only derive pleasure from football to the point where he loathes distractions.

Second was “Incubus.”  This is a horror film starring a pre-Star Trek William Shatner with all the dialogue in Esperanto.  The movie relies on some over-simplified theology, but there are brief moments of ok acting.  I laughed at the climax for about 5 minutes.

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #640 on: 25 Oct 2013, 08:10 »

I forgot where I read/saw it but the guy saw it
(click to show/hide)

Miyazaki doesn't do things like those in his films at all. I'm not sure how your friend got the impression that was a brothel in the first place but i think we can be sure that was not Miyazaki's intention. Making the place seedy brothel a girl mentally transforms into magical place kind of severely undermine a lot of the perceived messages and values of the film and would be, to say the least, pretty distasteful dedicatory film to make for his friend's daughter*

*Don't know how much of common knowledge this is, but basically Spirited Away was originally conceived because some years after Mononoke Hime, Miyazaki pondered on how there were no films that spoke to the 10-year-old daughter of a good friend of his, and then decided to "make a movie for her".

On-topic:

Well, some time ago i have finally watched Q. Also known as "Rebuild of Evangelion 3.33 You can (not) redo"

So many things to say, and i'm so moved, i have difficulty finding words. I'll try to keep this brief.

On a skype conversation long ago, a skype friend of mine. told me to "Prepare for a direction you won't expect". And it's true, i certainly didn't expect any of the directions that Q took throughout the entire film. It completely changed all of Rebuild for me, and Q took the themes and directions of rebuild in such a way, that i feel "spiritual" is the best way to describe the film.

It was just amazing, not only the film itself, but many elements of it, are things i didn't even think were possible. Narratively and aesthethically, it was more than beautiful, something better than perfect.

But above all, and the thing i loved the most out of my experience with the film, is that i can honestly say i'm really, really, really happy about the film. I found it the most hopeful and inspiring/uplifting film of the rebuilds so far, and probably one of the most hopeful movies i've ever seen. I found this to be the best rebuild film so far, and it really elevates the other two films to an entirely new dimension.

As a side note, i must admit i'm surprised, with all the talks about how dark and deppressing Q was, how apparently common it was for people to be in an angry or deppressed funk for weeks after watching it, i admit i was surprised that i eventually realized i couldn't honestly feel upset at people's treatment of Shinji in Q, the ostensibly hopeless setting and plot, and the general feeling of desolation and uncertainty that pervaded the film.

I have many more things i want to say about Q, but i don't want to bother the forum too much at a time and i'm still pretty moved/ecstatic, so it'll have to wait until a re-watch which will probably take place in a couple of days. It's funny, but now i feel that Sakura Nagashi has the same effect for me as Beautiful World once had. A song i listen to cheer me up and inspired connected to a film that does the same thing for me.

I loved Q so much, such a great film.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #641 on: 26 Oct 2013, 01:06 »

@Dream:  As you know, I watched Q as soon as I could possibly contrive.  While I don't react to things with the kind of ecstasy that you've expressed, my feelings about it are pretty similar.  I love it, and find it a realistic and moving portrait of all the characters, and how they might change as a result of what they've been through.  It's fascinating how often you find references to the earlier films that place those in a distinctly different perspective, underlining that they are not simply remakes of the earlier series.  As for Sakura Nagashi, I started a thread on melancholy music in the Band section of this forum as a result of listening to it.

I'm really glad you've come to it at last and been so moved by it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #642 on: 26 Oct 2013, 08:47 »

Saw the Carrie remake yesterday. I haven't seen the original, but I liked the remake. Chloe Grace Moretz is solid as always. Julianne Moore was pretty good too. I didn't know Judy Greer was in it until I saw it, though, and she was great as the gym teacher. (Although she'll always be Kitty to me)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #643 on: 26 Oct 2013, 16:33 »

Saw The Counselor today. It was pretty fucking great. I'd recommend it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #644 on: 27 Oct 2013, 09:55 »

Didn't know that 3.33 was available to be watched.  About to watch it now.  :-)
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #645 on: 27 Oct 2013, 12:13 »

We watched Babylon A.D. on the bus. This is a movie wherein one person asks "Why was my home destroyed?" and receives the answer "God has a reason for everything. Maybe it was an accident."

I don't even.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #646 on: 27 Oct 2013, 13:04 »

Didn't know that 3.33 was available to be watched.  About to watch it now.  :-)

Even the dub has been screened recently; DVD release of that has not been announced yet, but Wal-Mart have it on pre-order for 18 Feb.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #647 on: 27 Oct 2013, 21:05 »

Watched Frankenstein vs the Wolf Man tonight.
Good film, though a little short at 61 minutes.
The actual fight between said characters took place in the last 90 seconds of the film.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #648 on: 28 Oct 2013, 06:20 »

Even the dub has been screened recently; DVD release of that has not been announced yet, but Wal-Mart have it on pre-order for 18 Feb.

Yeah, when I said I'm going to watch it now, I was being literal.  Watched it yesterday, and that was pretty damn good.  Will definitely be watching again.

My blog

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #649 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:25 »

It is a film that greatly rewards watching it multiple times; even some people who hated it at first came to realise that they were wrong on later viewings. 

(And I realised you were going to watch it immediately.  I will admit to having watched a cam-rip first; but I have also bought the initial Japanese released BD.)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53   Go Up