THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488164 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #1100 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:18 »

I watched The Darjeeling Limited when Jens visited for Christmas the first time (he got the DVD as a present from someone) and was utterly perplexed by it. I don't know whether I would enjoy other Wes Anderson movies.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1101 on: 31 Jul 2014, 16:33 »

Oh, you should. Moonrise Kingdom and the Grand Budapest Hotel are amazing, and the Life Aquatic is pretty crazy. Haven't really seen Amazing Mr. Fox, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Rushmore though.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1102 on: 31 Jul 2014, 17:17 »

Fantastic Mr. Fox is excellent, and I remember liking The Royal Tenenbaums but not to the degree I love his other movies.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1103 on: 31 Jul 2014, 21:35 »

I just finished The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, a film much beloved to my roommate and Martin Scorsese (yes, that Martin Scorsese). It's an absolute must watch. Incredible cinematography, sound design, acting  and the story is superb. A true triumph of the British cinema. Also Winston Churchill and the British government tried to suppress it, so it has that in it's favor.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1104 on: 01 Aug 2014, 16:33 »

Mostly spoiler-free review of Guardians of the Galaxy, short version: Thor 3: Footloose meets The Expendables 4: Avengers, in Alliance-controlled space.

Longer version: enjoyable and very Different action-movie that repeatedly shoots itself in the foot--by taking too many cues from Avengers, while wasting the momentum of its plot at inopportune moments with poor direction and editing--but nevertheless succeeds thanks to inspired casting, goofiness and a freakin' awesome soundtrack. That it succeeds despite lacking the Avenger's characterization- and story-advantage--of having entire movies as backstories for all protagonists--and featuring one-too-many performances of "O-o-h Child" is testament to the strengths of the movie's unique character. I enjoyed it thoroughly, even in 3D, and am really looking forward to the sequel =)

The actors and their interpretations of the protagonists really carried the movie. I came in expecting to be mehed by most of their performances but was pleasantly surprised by all save for Diesel-Groot. Chris Pratt, striking a perfect balance between kickass pelvic sorcerer and sad intergalactic loser, was perfect for the role of Star Lord. I can almost forgive him for not being Nathan Fillion :o Zoe Saldana is an actress I usually don't like, partly because I usually see her in poorly written roles, partly because she always seems to have the same irritating expression of barely-suppressed hemorrhoid-induced rage. In this movie, she played a tormented and angry alien assassin, but she also gave Gamora a human dimension that made her character the most well-rounded of the protagonists. Rocket, whom I expected to be annoying, got uneven lines but was great overall, esp. when he was allowed to show some real emotions (Cooper's voice I coulda done without). Groot... well, as a CGI-character he was okay, and he was totally rad in his action scenes, but I think his awesomeness had been unjustifiably hyped and Diesel's voice-acting... well, it was what it was (which was Groot :o). He redeemed himself towards the end, however.

The standout performances were by Nicole Alexandra Shipley as Pretty Xandarian, Michael Rooker as Yondu, and Dave Bautista as the ultimate straight (and insane and vengeful and muscular) man Drax the Destroyer. I was thrilled by Bautista's performance! I especially liked how, despite being metaphorically handicapped, nothing ever went over his head. He was also responsible for making something watchable and interesting out of Lee Pace's shortchanged Ronan the Accuser. What a shamefully wasted opportunity that one was, but I guess this movie was not really about the villain anyway. Thanos (come on, everyone knows he's in this movie) was cartoonish and kinda shit. I'm sorry but he really was and I don't look forward to seeing him in any future movies that aren't directed by Whedon.

This movie was often more plot than story, but I liked this first proper look at the MCU on a cosmic scale, esp. for the information about the overarching storyline that I presume will tie many of these movies together. I'm looking forward to seeing what Agents of SHIELD will make of it as well :) anyway, go see it.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1105 on: 01 Aug 2014, 22:58 »

I saw A Most Dangerous Man, aka Philip Seymour Hoffman's last starring role (I think). Great movie.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1106 on: 03 Aug 2014, 14:14 »

The LEGO Movie - Not as good as the hype suggested, but then things never are. Watched three times in one week, only partly because I was in a small caravan with a twelve-year-old.

Strictly Ballroom - For a romantic comedy (it was a family holiday), it was rather light on the comedy and rather heavy on the "what exactly is going on now". Contains angry Spanish people.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1107 on: 03 Aug 2014, 16:08 »

That film is weird as shit. Baz on a budget. Take off your glasses and become instantly stunning.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1108 on: 03 Aug 2014, 16:09 »

Sin City. It's very pretty but I found it very hard to get past the Millerness.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1109 on: 03 Aug 2014, 16:09 »

I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy and I loved it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1110 on: 03 Aug 2014, 19:05 »

the Millerness.
I mean I know who Frank Miller is and I kind of get what this means (and I love Sin City) but I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to.

Also I saw Guardians as well and loved it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1111 on: 03 Aug 2014, 19:07 »

This should explain it

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1112 on: 03 Aug 2014, 19:09 »

Nancy's a dancer, thank you very much :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1113 on: 03 Aug 2014, 19:52 »

Nancy's a dancer, thank you very much :roll:
His sexism, as well as several other nastier bits of his personality bleed into his work like a severe head wound, though.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1114 on: 03 Aug 2014, 20:05 »

If you ever get a chance, do not read Holy Terror

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1115 on: 04 Aug 2014, 02:53 »

Every woman in the film is what Miller would describe as a whore. I get the strong feeling he wanks as he writes.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1116 on: 04 Aug 2014, 03:46 »

You ever seen one of his leaked scripts? Eurgh. The guy is a mental case.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1117 on: 04 Aug 2014, 05:35 »

I remember reading one paragraph and I think it was almost entirely excruciating detail about the shape of the character's ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1118 on: 04 Aug 2014, 17:20 »

...what shape was it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1119 on: 05 Aug 2014, 05:41 »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that we saw Hercules the other day and enjoyed it immensely. It was what Conan could--and should--have been. And more! With a thousand elephants!!! Featuring buxom Amazons and exciting bondage :o

The story was simple but engaging, the plotting was competent and effectively leveraged familiar tropes but also offered a few surprises, the visuals--cgi, costumes, sets--were excellent up to and including the credits. The dialogue was sparse but well-crafted and suited to the actors who were in turn fairly well cast. The Rock is perfect for this sort of role but the standout performance was by Ian McShane as the fatalistic and probably insane Amphiarus, with Aksel Hennie's more overtly crazy Tydeus a close second. I saw it in 3D and it's one of very few 3D-movies I've seen where I don't feel a need to gripe about the 3D.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1120 on: 09 Aug 2014, 15:33 »

I saw Moonrise Kingdom today, I liked it a lot.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #1121 on: 09 Aug 2014, 18:08 »

Moonrise Kingdom was good, but it could have used more scenes of Bill Murray being Bill Murray.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1122 on: 09 Aug 2014, 19:57 »

That's not a fair criticism, only because every movie could use more Bill Murray being Bill Murray, even especially movies that don't involve Bill Murray at all.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1123 on: 09 Aug 2014, 20:38 »

That's kind of what disappointed me with Darjeeling Limited, the beginning has Bill Murray and you think he's in it, but then the movie leaves him behind.

Nyithra

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #1124 on: 09 Aug 2014, 21:41 »

Guardians of the Galaxy was sooooo goooooood
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1125 on: 10 Aug 2014, 08:48 »

So I watched a bunch of movies lately.

A Fish Called Wanda - still one of my favourite movies. Would be worth it just for 1. Kevin Kline being hilarious ('You're the vulgarian, you fuck!') 2. HOT DAMN JAMIE LEE CURTIS even if the rest of it sucked. But the rest of it is BRILLIANT.

Jackass 3 - I forgot just how much fun these movies can be. I was laughing all the way through, although I skipped the sweat cocktail. These guys really do remind me of my friends and it's just enjoyable to be around them acting like assholes.

Then we watched Movie 43.

Yep.

Don't believe the hype, people. Because this movie is nowhere NEAR as terrible as people say it is, and certainly not the worst movie ever made. I've seen many, many other films that are way worse. The comedy is often mean spirited but I can't remember a single example of it being at anyone's expense (which elevates it above the likes of Vampires Suck already) and the sheer weight of comic talent involved makes some things work that really shouldn't. I think most of the people who found none of it funny at all have never been to see a stand-up comedian.

Oh it's terrible, rest assured. It's fucking wretched. But it also made me laugh - more than once. In fact there's a couple of the sketches in it which I really do think have the potential to be really good, and are funny in places, but even the good ones tend to tail off a bit rather than ending well. I think most people's main problem with it was the vulgarity of the humour because it uses things like incest, poo and giant vaginas as sources of humour (how bloody dare they)!

On the incredibly rare possibility that one of you may want to watch this, I'll spoiler the good bits.

(click to show/hide)

[/spoiler]

Nyithra

« Reply #1126 on: 10 Aug 2014, 09:01 »

Yeah I saw movie 43 a while back. While not TOTALLY terrible, only about a 3rd of it was actually funny to me.
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1127 on: 10 Aug 2014, 09:06 »

That was more or less my ratio too.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1128 on: 10 Aug 2014, 09:48 »

Better or worse than Lesbian Vampire Killers?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1129 on: 10 Aug 2014, 09:53 »

Better.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1130 on: 10 Aug 2014, 13:12 »

I watched How to train your Dragon 2 today. It was really awesome-looking, but the story was lacking in a few aspects. Still, would recommend.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1131 on: 10 Aug 2014, 15:19 »

I saw 3 movies this weekend:

Don Jon
(click to show/hide)

Predators
(click to show/hide)

Guardians of the Galaxy
(click to show/hide)
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1132 on: 10 Aug 2014, 20:22 »

My main complaint about Don Jon: ScarJo's name is Barbara. Barbara is a fairly rare name, so this almost never happens. It is also my sister's name. Just...damn it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #1133 on: 11 Aug 2014, 13:32 »

James Berardinelli (online movie reviewer) had A Fish Called Wanda in his top 10 movies of all time.  #respect

Rewatched Spirited Away.  I'd forgotten how awesome that movie is.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1134 on: 11 Aug 2014, 18:48 »

Just saw Lucy tonight. I loved it, it was absolutely ridiculous.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1135 on: 14 Aug 2014, 13:55 »

I hope I can enjoy more than 10% of it!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1136 on: 14 Aug 2014, 20:03 »

The movie the trailers show isn't 10% as ridiculous as the actual movie, and that's a compliment.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1137 on: 14 Aug 2014, 21:25 »

I just can't get over the whole 10% of your brain thing. It always puts me up the wall.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1138 on: 14 Aug 2014, 22:01 »

Yeah, but it takes it to such an absurd degree that it's almost like a parody of the idea.

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1139 on: 15 Aug 2014, 00:55 »

I was, obviously, in a Robin Williams kinda mood the other day so we watched a film of his we've not seen yet, The Birdcage.

It's about a gay couple who run a drag club in Miami, and their son who wants to get married to the daughter of a Republican senator. Shenanigans ensue! There is precious little plot in the film so I can't really go further without spoilering, as the entire film is about the build up of the tension and the character interaction.

I was quite nervous when I first started watching it when I realised it was about a gay couple and... well, Robin is known for playing massively broad stereotypes in his comedy at times.

To my pleasant surprise, the broader, camper homosexuals in the film are played by Hank Azaria and Nathan Lane (who by the way, is a revelation with the way he brings such pathos to a character he's playing SO camp). Williams, on the other hand, inhabits the role like he did in Good Will Hunting, turning him into a living, breathing, existing, flawed, emotional, REAL character.

This film is completely inessential; it's quite funny, quite dramatic, quite... lots of good things. It's never that remarkable. But I loved pretty much every second of it.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1140 on: 15 Aug 2014, 06:00 »

That and Mrs. Doubtfire are easily two of my favorite movies of all time. The characters he plays in them are so over the top but down to earth at the same time. And they're both so damn likeable.

He truly had was a gift.....
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1141 on: 15 Aug 2014, 18:55 »

I just watched Mimesis and....it was not good. The plot is, "A group of horror fans find themselves unwilling participants in a nightmarish role playing game that pays homage to a classic horror film." which is night of the living dead. I think the movie would have been better if there were actual zombies. Here are some reviews about it I agree with

a movie with an excellent premise that's executed in the most standard of ways
a movie with a semi-interesting plot but uninspired execution

Nyithra

« Reply #1142 on: 19 Aug 2014, 23:51 »

I saw the new TMNT movie a few days ago. It was pretty fun and not AS awful as I expected, but Megan Fox and Will Arnett felt extremely out of place in the movie. Megan sort of detracted from it (do we REALLY need two characters flirting with her every 5 seconds?) but her acting was adequate. Will was a gem in this movie but I really wondered why he was casted in it at all. The turtles were pretty great. Movie suffered from shaky cam and spinning camera syndrome, I felt dizzy at some points. But anyway, it was action packed and stuff, I suppose that's all you can really ask from it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1143 on: 20 Aug 2014, 00:41 »

Megan Fox can ACT? That might make that worth a Red Box. I didn't believe such a thing was possible.

Nyithra

« Reply #1144 on: 20 Aug 2014, 00:52 »

I dunno, she at least grasped that April was pretty obsessed with getting 'the scoop' on the story or whatever.

I feel like the writing for her character was just kind of bad.

(click to show/hide)

All I can really say was that it was better than I expected from her, anyway. A different actress definitely deserved to play such an iconic character anyway.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1145 on: 21 Aug 2014, 02:16 »

For some reason I imagine Amy Adams to be a decent April O'Neil. Does this film being set in 2014 (I presume) mean that she can't use say, a DSLR?

I'm asking logical questions about a Michael Bay movie. Don't expect the unexpected, right?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1146 on: 21 Aug 2014, 02:38 »

Bah, my 1952 Speedgraphic can produce better shots than any DSLR on the market.  :P
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Nyithra

« Reply #1147 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:34 »

She's usually in front of the camera, not behind it. She uses her smartphone to take pictures except for one instance near the end of the movie where she inexplicably has a digital camera.

I think Amy Adams would have been excellent.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1148 on: 21 Aug 2014, 19:48 »

Amy Adams is pretty much always excellent. Also is there a reason why people leave the shutter sound on? Is it a nostalgia thing, or are people just too lazy to turn it off? On phones and on digital cameras.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1149 on: 21 Aug 2014, 22:40 »

Good question.  I always even preferred my film cameras to be rangefinders, or a hand-held 4"x5" (with leaf shutter in the latter case, rubberised cloth shutter in the former), because they are so quiet, and it makes it easier to work with people.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 53   Go Up