THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488632 times)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #1200 on: 03 Oct 2014, 07:51 »

Having Riddick
(click to show/hide)
at the end was insulting and pissed me off. It really was just an idiotic adolescent  hetero male power fantasy.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1201 on: 03 Oct 2014, 07:55 »

Easy A just showed up on my Amazon recommendations and it made me angry all over again.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #1202 on: 03 Oct 2014, 08:51 »

sitnspin, I think I could do a whole aside rant on the various myths and fantasies there.  They're pretty darned annoying.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1203 on: 03 Oct 2014, 08:57 »

sitnspin, I think I could do a whole aside rant on the various myths and fantasies there.  They're pretty darned annoying.

I could as well. Hollywood is full of them. So is practically every culture on earth.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1204 on: 03 Oct 2014, 13:34 »

I don't remember that part, I only remember her saving him in the end and then they go their separate ways, though I wasn't really paying attention at the end

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1205 on: 04 Oct 2014, 22:33 »

Saw This is Where I Leave You tonight. Possibly my favorite Jason Bateman performance, all around a very good movie.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1206 on: 05 Oct 2014, 11:33 »

Watching Submarine right now and I love this movie so much it's hilarious.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1207 on: 10 Oct 2014, 14:34 »

22 Jump Street.

It was, unfortunately, kinda shit. Nowhere near as fun as the previous movie. However, the credits sequence was probably one of the best ever
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Aimless

« Reply #1208 on: 12 Oct 2014, 03:55 »

80% psychotic break
15% Korean highschool media class assignment
5% trippy visuals

The script was so bad. Morgan Freeman looked like he was in pain the whole time. Scarlett Johansson was probably happy because this movie gave her face some much needed rest from having to show any emotions. There was no good action. I don't understand why no-one saw fit to just shake Luc Besson really really hard until he gave up this horrible movie or at least surrendered it into the hands of someone who could have salvaged the script. Everyone on the team musta been like, "Fuckit, as long as I'm getting paid."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1209 on: 12 Oct 2014, 07:11 »

Man, I disagree with both your recent reviews. I loved Lucy because it was so fucking ridiculous, especially the ending.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

« Reply #1210 on: 12 Oct 2014, 07:32 »

I've just never really had a thing for "so bad it's good" movies, with very few exceptions, and so much of the movie was literally like listening to a person with psychotic delusions that it got in the way of my enjoyment. I can usually handle bad science, even bad science clichés, but this was just uncommonly bad... esp. Freeman's lecture and the students asking smart thought-provoking and portentous questions. It's just theory... hypotheses... augh.

Sorry, I was just blindsided by how un-me this movie was, esp. since I went in expecting something like, I dunno, Fifth Element or something. Different strokes I guess :) I preferred the ending to almost everything else in the movie.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1211 on: 12 Oct 2014, 07:35 »

Ha, as soon as the trailer brought up the whole "20% means you can control matter" or whatever, that should've been a hint of what kind of movie you were in for :P

But yeah, fair enough. As for 22, at least we agree about the credit sequence. That was great for being both hilarious, and ensuring we won't actually get a 23 Jump Street.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1212 on: 12 Oct 2014, 09:17 »

I just watched the Secret Life of Walter Mitty and it was really good. I'm kicking myself that I didn't see it in theaters

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1213 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:54 »

Annabelle. I enjoyed it despite the asshats in the cinema. Not as good as The Conjuring but very similar in style and tone even though it wasn't made by the same people.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1214 on: 17 Oct 2014, 10:08 »

Walter Mitty was delightful.....definitely on my list of movies to purchase.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #1215 on: 17 Oct 2014, 19:45 »

..but Ben Stiller was in it..
I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1216 on: 17 Oct 2014, 20:45 »

And he was stellar in it

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1217 on: 19 Oct 2014, 13:21 »

I just watched the Book of Life and I really enjoyed it. It's a little corny in places, but the animation and voice talent are incredible

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #1218 on: 19 Oct 2014, 14:47 »

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Was pretty good, tho many of the characters were a little underused and didn't really go anywhere. Could easily been half an hour longer and a little more fleshed out. Still tho, DRAGONS. (NIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURY)

I dunno..

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1219 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:39 »

Turtles Can Fly.

I don't really know whether to describe the plot here. It's not like it's difficult to find it online, it's just that it doesn't really do the film justice. It's bleak, harrowing and yet infinitely compelling. Despite not a single shot being fired in anger, it shows better than any other film I've seen the absolute, unrelenting and indiscriminate brutality of war and it's victimization of innocence and the innocent. It isn't a lavish film with a complex story, it just grinds out the simple lives of a band of children who neither deserve their fate nor have any real prospect of escape. Perhaps most hard hitting is that it's not difficult to know that every aspect, indignity and injustice of the story will have really happened at some point.

I realise that doesn't really sell the film a great deal. However, it is one that I can strongly recommend watching at least once. It's also quite honest and beautiful in it's telling and doesn't fall into dwelling and self-pitying. And of course, as with all stories like these, they deserve telling over and again until everyone gets the point.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1220 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:10 »

So we've been watching a bunch of shitty horror movies lately because it's October so you do that shit.

We got about an hour into Re-Cut which is a found-footage type horror movie that is basically terrible, not least because it keeps padding itself out with flashback footage and some weird shit that's clearly meant to be signposting the ending somehow, but just comes across as timewasting. In a film that's already only 81 minutes including credits.

We started on Hostel III, and it was so bad we stopped watching.

Far and away the most entertaining thing we've watched recently was Would You Rather. The clue is in the title here as the entire thing is basically one incredibly dark game of Would You Rather. Jeffrey Combs is the eccentric millionaire running the game and every time he leaves a scene he's got big chunks of scenery in his mouth. It's fucking hilarious. He just makes it, he gives his all for this relatively one-dimensional part. It has a couple of sub plots that go nowhere and are seemingly just to pad out the runtime and you could see the ending from space, but in between it is just remorselessly entertaining and I cannot recommend it highly enough to people who laugh along with horror movies.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1221 on: 30 Oct 2014, 09:23 »

Forgot to add, we also watched Midnight Meat Train, which aside from two cleverly done shots (one of the villain moving from out of focus in the background into focus in the foreground before a kill, one of a fight scene in a continuous shot that moves around, into and out of a subway train carriage).

It's an entertainingly appalling film, and Vinnie Jones fails to show any acting flair even as a character with no lines whatsoever. Bradley Cooper's central character is an absolute cunt, and the film features far and away the least necessary borderline rape scene I've seen anywhere (a fucking DREAM SEQUENCE?) but it's a very entertaining watch for its sheer terribleness.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1222 on: 30 Oct 2014, 10:37 »

Jeffery Combs is pretty much always great. The dude gives every part his all, no matter how ridiculous the film. If you haven't already, listen to his audiobook version of "Herbert West: Reanimator".
@syleegrrl

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #1223 on: 30 Oct 2014, 13:27 »

The Edge of Tomorrow

I was surprised at how not bad it was. I read the book it's based on, and I felt compelled to see the movie. Usually I avoid things involving Tom Cruise.

I wanted to see if the ending would be as harsh as the book (it wasn't). But the execution of the story wasn't bad at all, and Cruise made a sympathetic protagonist. Unfortunately, IMO, they went with the "really fast = cool" for the mimics, so it wasn't as visually appealing as it could have been, but it still worked.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1224 on: 01 Nov 2014, 14:01 »

I just watched Birdman and I really enjoyed it. The part I especially liked was the transitions. The film transitions almost seamlessly from moment to moment and it takes a few minutes before you realize what's going on or that time has passed. Later in the movie you actually get to see a sunset and it feels rare and special instead of the norm because of how scenes had been transitioning before.

Also, it's probably the first film that I've actually enjoyed Emma Stone in. I liked her in Amazing Spider-man, but she's more just there than anything else in them.

(click to show/hide)

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1225 on: 02 Nov 2014, 16:08 »

Psycho 2. Surprisingly good. A lot more violent than the original though. It felt like a pretty natural story addition to the first film and having Anthony Perkins in same character role did a lot for it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1226 on: 03 Nov 2014, 21:49 »

So very good. I could say more, but the less you know going in, the better. Don't look up anything about this movie.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #1227 on: 03 Nov 2014, 22:27 »

Img

So very good. I could say more, but the less you know going in, the better. Don't look up anything about this movie.

Method of Madness, you magnificent bastard. If you had a book, I'd read it.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #1228 on: 04 Nov 2014, 12:02 »

Just watched Hellraiser Inferno.  I feel like it's gone far afield from the first one, but the horror is surprisingly cerebral. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1229 on: 04 Nov 2014, 13:09 »

Forgot to mention, we watched 13 sins. Entertaining Saw-type game-based horror. Loved it. Had a dark sense of humour and was pretty absorbing. Had a half decent twist at the end along with a couple of obvious ones and a powerfully stupid ending. Recommended!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1230 on: 04 Nov 2014, 14:09 »

I'm just watching Youth in Revolt and it's so horribly funny it hurts

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #1231 on: 07 Nov 2014, 15:49 »

I just watched Interstellar. It's definitively interesting, to say the very least.. It has three kinda clear acts, the first being a people drama on a "post-apocalyptic" Earth, then there's a sciency space action movie in the middle, and then there's the third act, which is.. ambiguous. I definitively enjoyed the second act the most, as it had incredibly well done visual and sound design, making it all feel very real. Similar to Gravity, tho imo noticeably more intense.
(click to show/hide)
I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1232 on: 08 Nov 2014, 19:57 »

I just watched Big Hero 6 and it was amazing! Probably one of my favorite animated movies of this year. The only downside to the movie is the soundtrack, which has a lot of Fallout Boy

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1233 on: 09 Nov 2014, 08:26 »

(click to show/hide)

BK - Damn it, really? I'm looking forward to seeing it still, but...dang. I am not a fan of Milhouse's band, either.

(Edited because I forgot to end the spoiler, the second part didn't need to be spoilered)
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2014, 18:42 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1234 on: 09 Nov 2014, 11:33 »

No, you should go see it. The only time one of their songs comes on is during a "Suit up" sequence and during the end credits. It's just that all the commercials use their music.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1235 on: 09 Nov 2014, 18:42 »

Ahhhhhh, ok. Cool. I'll see it when I get the chance.

Also today I went to a film festival and saw Joachim Prinz: I Shall Not Be Silent, a documentary about Rabbi Prinz, who was forced to leave Nazi Germany in 1937 and who played a big role in the Civil Rights era, working closely with MLK. I knew little if anything about him before tonight, so this was a great learning experience.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1236 on: 10 Nov 2014, 06:44 »

I will second that Big Hero 6 was amazing. We saw it last night. I laughed, I cried (a few times) and it was just a great story with lovable characters. Ok, mostly one big lovable character....but the others were good too.

I'm excited for the possibility of more movies within this franchise. This was Disney's first stab at an animated movie featuring Marvel characters and I think they went this way on purpose since they are not as recognizable as someone like Spiderman. Plus, Baymax is the cutest friggin' superhero on the planet. I'm a bit obsessed with him right now.

(click to show/hide)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1237 on: 10 Nov 2014, 09:21 »

Interstellar - Interesting concept but it could have been realised somewhat better. I generally liked it but the pacing was a bit slow and the ending didn't entirely make in-universe sense.

It has the general feel of an Arthur C. Clarke novel or something Steven Baxter may have come up with.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1238 on: 10 Nov 2014, 16:41 »

The Babadook. I really liked it. Kind of old style boogeyman big bad done well plus good characters dealing with other stuff beyond the Bumps At Night adds up to a entertaining film.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1239 on: 10 Nov 2014, 19:12 »

Ah dang, I didn't think there would be a post credit scene. We stayed until they sat down on the giant windsock things

(click to show/hide)

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1240 on: 10 Nov 2014, 20:17 »

Yeah, it didn't even cross my mind until it popped up when I was bingeing on YouTube clips of Baymax.  :-P

And I had the exact same thought!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1241 on: 11 Nov 2014, 18:21 »

Footage from Big Hero 6
(click to show/hide)

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1242 on: 11 Nov 2014, 20:28 »

Footage from Big Hero 6
(click to show/hide)
NEVER piss off the Michelin Man.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1243 on: 12 Nov 2014, 21:52 »

Finally saw Big Hero 6, loved it. The short before, Feast, was so cute! And the end-credits scene was great:
(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1244 on: 13 Nov 2014, 14:17 »

My girlfriend was bawling during that opening short

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1245 on: 13 Nov 2014, 15:11 »

As with some other people up a few posts up, I watch Interstellar too. I agree with the previous post of going in not knowing anything about the movie, in fact, I refused to even watch another trailer after I saw the first one. Good movie, could have been better, I think acid was involved at some point.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #1246 on: 13 Nov 2014, 16:00 »

It is a scientifically proven fact that Nolan injected SEVERAL marijuanas during the making of the film.
I dunno..

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1247 on: 13 Nov 2014, 16:48 »

It is a scientifically proven fact that Nolan injected SEVERAL marijuanas during the making of the film.

AND HE DIDN'T DIE? I knew who guy who injected 1 marijuanas and overdosed
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1248 on: 13 Nov 2014, 17:08 »

No he was lucky he just got reefer madness. But he might not be so lucky next time. TELL YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT MARIHUANA!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1249 on: 16 Nov 2014, 06:32 »

I just watched Zombie Strippers, and it's as awful as it sounds
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 53   Go Up