THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488663 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #1750 on: 23 Jul 2016, 15:22 »

Just watched the new Ghostbusters and it's so good. It's also a great example of how to do cameos

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1751 on: 23 Jul 2016, 15:34 »

I plan on seeing that one soon.  I wasn't going to at first after that trailer, but from what I've read it sounds like a lot of fun.

Edit: At this point I also want to see it on general principle as a big "fuck you" to the sexists and racists.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1752 on: 23 Jul 2016, 15:54 »

Just watched the new Ghostbusters and it's so good. It's also a great example of how to do cameos

I enjoyed it too. Although I'm looking forward to the extended release because I thought it seemed a little roughly edited in a couple spots. There's been a couple articles saying there'll be an additional fifteen minutes.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1753 on: 23 Jul 2016, 16:49 »

So that's what that was, I thought there were some spots it was moving pretty fast an had some rough transitions.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1754 on: 28 Jul 2016, 15:45 »

Saw the BFG today and loved it. V different from most modern children's movies. Visuals were astonishingly good and, for once,  the 3D added to the experience. Warmly recommended.

Saw the new Star Trek last week, in IMAX. I enjoyed it and thought it was more even than the previous movies in the new series, but it wasn't spectacular or extraordinary. Felt like an extremely well produced episode of a TV show. Don't see it in 3D, it adds nothing and makes everything way too dark and dull.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1755 on: 28 Jul 2016, 16:15 »

The Purge Anarchy. Sequel better than original. Better execution of the concept and more interesting characters.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1756 on: 30 Jul 2016, 13:08 »

Saw Star Trek Beyond.

Its.....a decent film. I mean, it wasn't disappointing, but at the same time it wasn't going to light the world on fire.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1757 on: 31 Jul 2016, 11:42 »

I just watched the Boy and the Beast and Hateful Eight.

The Boy and the Beast was made by Mamoru Hosoda and as such was amazing, just like Summer Wars and Wolf Children.
Hateful 8 wasn't as great

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #1758 on: 31 Jul 2016, 14:58 »

It doesn't take too long into Hateful Eight before you know exactly how the movie's gonna end.
I dunno..

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1759 on: 31 Jul 2016, 17:44 »

Saw Jason Bourne tonight. It was alright, but not up to par with the first three.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1760 on: 01 Aug 2016, 21:54 »

Finally saw Ghostbusters. Really liked it!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1761 on: 02 Aug 2016, 06:39 »

Over on his Twitter feed, Jeph sarcastically suggested that the mysoginist crowd be sated by remaking Splash! but with a merman rather  than a mermaid. Yes; ha-ha, very ironic and...

And...

And actually I like that idea! I actually think that you could make it work! :-D
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Aimless

« Reply #1762 on: 03 Aug 2016, 15:19 »

Suicide Squad

Potentially excellent but ultimately flawed movie that could have been as enjoyable as GotG and Deadpool if the fuckwits at DC hadn't decided to weigh it down with way too much cgi-laden crap and a whole lot of unnecessary Leto. Made parts of the movie disjointed in a bad way. If they'd cut 95% of the cgi-monsters and/or added 30-45 mins to the runtime it may have been better. Still, I liked it. Don't see it in 3D. Post-credits scene is, of course, related to Justice League.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1763 on: 03 Aug 2016, 15:45 »

Unnecessary Leto is a better band name than 30 Seconds to Mars.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

« Reply #1764 on: 03 Aug 2016, 16:30 »

I'm a little sad that the movie was so deeply flawed, even though I had a reasonably good time :o

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1765 on: 03 Aug 2016, 21:15 »

Saw Star Trek Beyond. The movie itself was ok, but it made me realize how much I want a buddy comedy with Bones McCoy and Spock.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1766 on: 04 Aug 2016, 15:26 »

Finding Dory. Very cute and lots of feels. Fantastic sequel. The short before was gorgeous and also adorable.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1767 on: 05 Aug 2016, 10:40 »

Was Drive any good?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Aimless

« Reply #1768 on: 05 Aug 2016, 12:46 »

Ghostbusters

Fuck the internet, I had a good time :)

Some problems with pacing and comic timing.

Most of the cast was good but Kate McKinnon stole the show.

I gotta admit, I'm really looking forward to a sequel... but I hope they get a different director.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1769 on: 05 Aug 2016, 18:10 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1770 on: 05 Aug 2016, 21:15 »

Agreed. I liked it quite a bit.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1771 on: 14 Aug 2016, 17:03 »

Ghostbusters

Fuck the internet, I had a good time :)

I gotta admit, I'm really looking forward to a sequel... but I hope they get a different director.

Same here, I was expecting blandness (like the Robocop reboot), but it was actually halfway decent.

From the trailers and the fact that Paul Fieg is the director I was also expecting juvenile humor.... and that's what I got.
Aaaaand those were the parts I didn't like. Fart jokes and ghosts suddenly vomiting ectoplasm for no reason doesn't fit the humor of the other Ghostbusters movies.

A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1772 on: 14 Aug 2016, 19:21 »

Do you generally not like Paul Feig?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1773 on: 15 Aug 2016, 01:13 »

There's a superior little thriller/horror called The Invitation on Netflix. Very good at ratcheting up tension, quite lavishly shot and very subtly acted.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1774 on: 16 Aug 2016, 09:09 »

I finally watched Raising Arizona. Really good stuff.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1775 on: 16 Aug 2016, 11:07 »

I quite loved Star Trek: Beyond.  I think I fancy it better than the previous 2 movies and I liked those movies.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1776 on: 16 Aug 2016, 11:16 »

Watched a little indie film called He Never Died starring Henry Rollins as an immortal cannibal. I quite enjoyed it. It was weird in a low key kind of way.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1777 on: 16 Aug 2016, 12:53 »

Watched "Dark Was the Night" yesterday, though I just found out it was called "Monster Hunter" in the Uk and Ireland.

Its basically a small town sheriff has to deal with increasingly disturbed events happening around town, while also dealing with a recent personal loss. The film feels like its leading to his breakdown or something drastic before it becomes more of a traditional horror. I mean, its a decent film and maybe one to watch if there nothing else on, but its not a particularly scary horror film.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1778 on: 16 Aug 2016, 13:09 »

To be fair, very few horror films are actually scary. I can't really remember the last one I saw that was.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1779 on: 16 Aug 2016, 13:44 »

To be fair, very few horror films are actually scary. I can't really remember the last one I saw that was.

True, most horror films these days tend to rely on gore or disgust to horrify, which is not the same thing as fear. Also jump scares? Not scary. They, like every other cheap trick in those films, have been played to death.

But like you, I can't remember the last genuinely scary horror film I watched. The ones these days, I just zone out or I just forget it altogether.

That said, the last genuinely scary film I remember was Lord of the Flies, but that's not a horror.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1780 on: 17 Aug 2016, 04:46 »

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last night, which is amazing for like 90 minutes and then goes off the fucking rails at the end.

Also watched Days Of Future Past the other day, finally, and what a disappointment that movie turned out to be. When I heard the two casts were uniting I expected a lot more - you know, like actual conversation between some of the characters from the two movies? Patrick Stewart barely said anything, same with Ian McKellan. Fuck that, man. And the plot was boring.

I will say this much though, Peter Dinklage is someone quite extraordinary. I'm well aware that his fame-defining role is as a character whose main thing is that he is a dwarf - but everything else I see him in, the character is not a dwarf. They are just a guy. And that guy is played by Peter Dinklage.

When you consider how hard it is for people to be cast in a part when they're black, let alone another racial minority, without that being expressly acknowledged in the part, I think Dinklage's success in this regard is miraculous. Whether that's to do with him or simply piggy backing on the GOT success I don't know, but it's something to think about.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1781 on: 17 Aug 2016, 12:15 »

Watched two films on a date last night. Byzantium and Tallulah. Both were fantastic.

Byzantium was a really interesting take on the vampire story. Starred Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton who both gave fantastic performances.

Tallulah totally deserves the praise it's bern getting. Ellen Page was amazing and her chemistry with  Allison Janney was incredible. The film hit all the right comedic and dramatic notes. You got a real feel for all of the characters, none of whom came off cliché or one note, just all real flawed people.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1782 on: 17 Aug 2016, 15:17 »

I can't remember the last genuinely scary horror film I watched
I can. The Witch earlier this year. Although maybe Green Room, which I saw slightly more recently. The Witch was definitely scarier, but both were just organically terrifying, not relying on jump scares at all.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1783 on: 18 Aug 2016, 13:43 »

So it's not strictly speaking a movie, but I just finished Netflix's Stranger Things. It was pretty good, but it definitely had its issues. Without getting into the plot, despite being displayed as a series...it's really not. It's just a six-seven hour long movie that's stored in eight places. That's not inherently a bad thing, and it's a good time killer, but it doesn't really feel like an actual show.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1784 on: 20 Aug 2016, 19:35 »

Just watched the first 3 episodes of "Stranger Things."  Its really good.  Like if Spielberg and Stephen King had a baby in the 80s.  The intro music itself is awesome.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1785 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:36 »

I saw Kubo and the Two Strings today. I have a great love for Laika's films, so I broke my usual standard and went in with high hopes that I was going to see something special. Not only was I not disappointed, but the movie exceeded my expectations. The design work and stop motion animation was top notice. My draw especially dropped during several fight scenes when I realized now only how awesome everything flowed, but remembering all this was done using puppets shot one frame at a time. This is a far cry from the awesome-at-the-time jerky animation of Ray Harryhausen's skeletons.

The character interactions and chemistry was beautiful. The cast was limited of course, that is typical for Laika's productions. Which makes having the right chemistry between actors and characters all the more important. Character design is also top notch. My favorite being the primary antagonists the Sisters. I expect they will be very popular to cosplay. I know I would like to do so.

The story is probably the weakest part here, but I found I didn't mind. 'Surprise' second and third act reveals are pretty obvious from well before they happen. The story is familiar, and has been told many times before. In this case though, it felt to me more like I was watching a retelling of a classic story than someone just throwing plot points in a blender and pouring the results onto paper. While you could clearly see where the story was going well ahead of time, it all felt right. I may call the writing the weakest part, but that's just because everything else was so exceptional. Being predictable is not a bad thing when it makes you think you are watching an adaption of an ancient fairy tale.

In the end, I recommend this whole heartedly. Anyone from young teens to adults will probably like this, and it is well worth the price of admission. For younger children you will want to know their tolerance level to some scary scenes. The main point of the plot is that Kubo is the grandson of the immortal Moon King, who stole his left eye as an infant, and now wants to take his right one. The tale gets dark at times, as does their movies. So for the younger set, the scary parts might be to much. For them you might want to wait for it to come out on video, so that you can pause or stop it if things get to much for them.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1786 on: 21 Aug 2016, 15:40 »

I just watched it today and i loved it too! I wouldn't say it was their best work though, I think that's still with Paranorman. I would say it's either better or tied with Coraline. For me the first act was kind of slow and I found myself yawning a bit, but the other two acts made up for it. I'm still blown away by all the scenery and action, it having to be meticulously planned out and filmed over a long period of time.

I also watched Trumbo and the original Tron
-Trumbo was amazing and I might even say it should have one the oscar instead of the Revenant. Everyone in it was amazing
-Original Tron was weirder than I expected, especially since I saw the sequel back around when it first came out. Interesting aesthetics in the film.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1787 on: 29 Aug 2016, 20:46 »

Saw Hardcore Henry. It was even more like Breakdown than I expected.
I knew exactly how the movie was going to end 5 minutes after it started, but was entertained all the way through.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Aimless

« Reply #1788 on: 11 Sep 2016, 07:39 »

So I've been catching up on standup specials on Netflix :o

It all began with Aziz Ansari's "Buried Alive". I've had a soft spot for Aziz ever since we stalked him on our wedding day but I've always been a little ambivalent about his shows. Even so, "Buried Alive" was even more fun than his Netflix special in MSG and I've recommended all my friends who're in or entering that settle-down-have-kids phase of life to see it :o

After this I of course had to re-watch classics like Raw, Bring the Pain and Bigger & Blacker, For What It's Worth and Killing Them Softly, Live on Broadway etc after which I was hungry for new stuff so I ploughed through

Chris Rock - Live (bad. He wasn't really in it, his eyes were dead, kept laughing at his own jokes, the jokes frequently didn't land, nothing really felt genuine and it felt like a rip-off of Raw etc.)

Hannibal Buress - Comedy Kamisado (vulgar, sly, fun, better while drunk)

John Mulaney - The Comeback Kid (friendly, relaxed, well-written with perfect delivery... extremely white and a little Catholic)

Chelsea Peretti - One of the Greats (Gina from Brooklyn 99. Clever, confident, heartfelt and an absolute delight from beginning to end minus the weird gimmicks for the special)

Gabriel Iglesias - The Fluffy Movie (he gets pretty real, and it's like that part of Raw where Murphy talks about his dad... but Iglesias makes people happy instead of bumming them out)

I also finally got around to seeing Focus, because it was mentioned in like every review of Suicide Squad. I liked it, it was fun and exciting. Decent writing, great casting, solid performances even from the supporting actors. Margot Robbie was great, Smith was a little boring but still decent.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1789 on: 02 Oct 2016, 19:26 »

Just saw the Magnificent Seven remake. The performances were good, and the action scenes were ok, but overall...meh. Then again, I still need to see the original (and the real original, the Seven Samurai).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1790 on: 02 Oct 2016, 21:24 »

Just saw the Magnificent Seven remake. The performances were good, and the action scenes were ok, but overall...meh. Then again, I still need to see the original (and the real original, the Seven Samurai).
Def watch Seven Samurai, it is a masterpiece of filmmaking.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1791 on: 02 Nov 2016, 17:14 »

I've had a busy month doing the October Horror Movie Challenge, the 31 movies in 31 days version, and here's a breakdown of the movies I watched
(click to show/hide)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1792 on: 14 Nov 2016, 14:22 »

Just watched The Maze Runner and enjoyed it.
(click to show/hide)

Then I went to fanfiction.net and... there isn't one crossover with Portal! I mean, if there was any film that I've seen that absolutely cries out for it to all be one of GLaDOS's sadistic rats-in-a-maze 'experiments' it's that one! I mean, when they got into the service tunnel beyond the maze, I honestly expected to hear Still Alive start playing!

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1793 on: 14 Nov 2016, 14:46 »

They couldn't have played Still Alive, else all the geeks would have stayed behind when it was in the cinema to sing along. Once the credits roll, they just want you gone. :claireface:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1794 on: 14 Nov 2016, 18:08 »

Just watched The Maze Runner and enjoyed it.
(click to show/hide)

Then I went to fanfiction.net and... there isn't one crossover with Portal! I mean, if there was any film that I've seen that absolutely cries out for it to all be one of GLaDOS's sadistic rats-in-a-maze 'experiments' it's that one! I mean, when they got into the service tunnel beyond the maze, I honestly expected to hear Still Alive start playing!

(click to show/hide)

I'm not even angry, I'm being so sincere right now

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1795 on: 20 Nov 2016, 11:01 »

Just saw Arrival and my brain is still in a knot trying to re-organise the film in light of the final reel revelations.

(click to show/hide)

Finally, a bit of crossover madness for Arrival and a certain major computer RPG:

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

Aimless

« Reply #1796 on: 20 Nov 2016, 16:37 »

Saw Fantastic  Beasts. Excellent production values, good direction,  decent script, lame leads. The supporting cast was awesome but Redmayne's stupid facial contortions and overacting annoyed me in the first part of the movie and Waterston kept failing to find the right level of anxiousness. Jakob and Queenie were great, as was Colin Farrell. Ezra Miller was meh and Johnny Depp earned a turkey in his two minutes of screen time, low point of his career. The Niffler stole the show.

The CGI-laden monster-movie-channeling climactic third act was not good, didn't do the rest of the movie justice at all, and the gimmicky solution near the end was lame but as a whole the film was thoroughly enjoyable and we were very pleased :)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1797 on: 20 Nov 2016, 22:18 »

That's the most damning positive review I've ever read.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Aimless

« Reply #1798 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:49 »

That's the most damning positive review I've ever read.

A testament to the goodness of the good things :o

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1799 on: 21 Nov 2016, 09:22 »

I just watched the Spirit. It's campy as fuck, especially Samuel L Jackson, but not in a way I would call good.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53   Go Up