THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 487979 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #1900 on: 28 Nov 2017, 15:34 »

I watched Justice League as well because a friend of mine was really excited about it, but for me, it's take or leave. I didn't hate it though.

One-dimensional but otherwise good antagonist.
I did, however, hate this guy. Whatever merits he may have had were undercut by a combination of his rubber mask animation and his booming everywhere-voice, which made it seem like he wasn't actually speaking in every one of his close-up scenes.

There are two extra scenes. The first is is great. The second will make you want to hunt down someone at WB and kick them repeatedly in the shins.
My friend asked me about this scene and all I could come up with was that the guy probably has a really edgy name like Deathstrike or something.

Anyway, I recently saw this video about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and really liked it.

Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1901 on: 28 Nov 2017, 17:53 »

Fun fact, Deadpool ripped off Deathstroke, with Wade Wilson being an imitation of Slade Wilson. Even Deadpool's co-creator Fabian Nicieza pointed it to Rob "No Sense of Human Anatomy and Pouch Fetishist" Liefeld. Reportedly Liefeld went "meh" and went back to drawing Captain America with the large bust.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1902 on: 29 Nov 2017, 09:31 »

That's okay, DC ripped him off right back by introducing a character called 'Red Tool' in the Harley Quinn comic. He's an insane mercenary who won't shut up, kidnaps people, stalks Harley, beats up and brutalizes people who were secretly committing crimes more so than usual heroes. About on par with what Harley does. Oh, and he wears a red and black full bodysuit and mask with various tools like hammers and saw blades that he uses as weapons. No idea what could have inspired this character....

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1903 on: 29 Nov 2017, 09:36 »

It is funny how much back and forth Marvel and DC have had over the years; Man-Bat to the Lizard, Tim Drake to Peter Parker, Doctor Everything to Doctor Manhattan, Thanos to Darkseid to Doctor Doom (yeah, you read that one right).

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1904 on: 29 Nov 2017, 09:56 »

Fun fact, Deadpool ripped off Deathstroke, with Wade Wilson being an imitation of Slade Wilson. Even Deadpool's co-creator Fabian Nicieza pointed it to Rob "No Sense of Human Anatomy and Pouch Fetishist" Liefeld. Reportedly Liefeld went "meh" and went back to drawing Captain America with the large bust.
...I was right?!?!

Well. Never underestimate the potency of pop culture osmosis I guess.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1905 on: 05 Dec 2017, 06:40 »

It is funny how much back and forth Marvel and DC have had over the years; Man-Bat to the Lizard, Tim Drake to Peter Parker, Doctor Everything to Doctor Manhattan, Thanos to Darkseid to Doctor Doom (yeah, you read that one right).

Don't forget this guy from the Superman/Batman Annual

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1906 on: 13 Dec 2017, 18:04 »

I just watched the Hitman's Bodyguard and Valerian

Hitman's Bodyguard was amazing, the best of Samuel L Jackson and Ryan Reynolds together
Valerian was pretty, but disappointing

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1907 on: 13 Dec 2017, 20:56 »

Watched the 2015 film, the Tiger, set during the Japanese occupation of Korea in the 1920s, its about the efforts of hunters seeking to kill the last tiger in the region and a retired hunter who is slowly drawn into a final confrontation with the animal. Visually spectacular.

Also watched Cooties, which has Elijah Wood being haunted by zombie schoolchildren and people making silly Lord of the Rings references. It’s a comedy, but the comedy comes from the absurdity of the film. Which is to say it’s meh.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1908 on: 17 Dec 2017, 17:38 »

Saw The Disaster Artist and holy shit, that was amazing. Franco does a perfect Wiseau, and I didn't think that was possible.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1909 on: 25 Dec 2017, 17:55 »

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2017.

A clever and enjoyable episode. A bit sentimental towards the end, but hey, it's Christmas, so that perhaps can be forgiven. David Bradley was startlingly good in his role as the original Doctor.

Jodie Whittaker's introduction gave little away. Interesting times ahead.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1910 on: 25 Dec 2017, 19:01 »

I didn't watch the entire episode, but did see the end on a spoiler video on YouTube.

Whatta cliffhanger. Literally.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1911 on: 06 Jan 2018, 13:56 »

I just watched the Shape of Water and it was everything I hoped it would be. More of a romance movie than a monster movie though

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1912 on: 07 Jan 2018, 19:32 »

I watched Will Smith's new NETFLIX special movie: "BRIGHT".

It's very good. great suspension of disbelief. 
Kept me on the edge of my seat.
While NOT a comedy,  it has some hilarious moments.

I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1913 on: 07 Jan 2018, 20:56 »

I watched it on New Year's with friends. It was especially fun for me because I used to play Shadowrun a lot. While it's not a Shadowrun movie, it does have the whole 'fantasy races in a modern setting' down. I'm glad that a sequel was green lit, I want to know more about this world.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1914 on: 08 Jan 2018, 02:28 »

Saw the Last Jedi last night...

Yeah... so... that's *that* done...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1915 on: 14 Jan 2018, 14:45 »

I watched Will Smith's new NETFLIX special movie: "BRIGHT".

It's very good. great suspension of disbelief. 
Kept me on the edge of my seat.
While NOT a comedy,  it has some hilarious moments.

I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.
Interesting. That's probably one of the first outright good review I've seen of it. Maybe I'll check it out at some point.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1916 on: 21 Jan 2018, 02:58 »

I watched Coco today.
It's a simple story beautifully told. Its ending is very touching. Up there with the best of Pixar's films.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1917 on: 01 Feb 2018, 16:11 »

Tangled. Man, it was good. Really threw me for a loop there at the end. I'm surprised I've not heard anyone sing its praises until one of my friends told me she loved it recently.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1918 on: 02 Feb 2018, 06:34 »

I just watched Better Watch Out and I thought it was just okay, probably not worth a re-watch.
(click to show/hide)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1919 on: 02 Feb 2018, 09:08 »

I watched Get Out last night.

It was a good satire film about racism, but as a horror film, I was left feeling a little meh about it.
(click to show/hide)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1920 on: 05 Feb 2018, 04:32 »

Tangled. Man, it was good. Really threw me for a loop there at the end. I'm surprised I've not heard anyone sing its praises until one of my friends told me she loved it recently.

I just watched this for the first time recently too. It feels like a transitional movie, though; the stuff they've made since has been so much better in so many ways, but you can see Tangled making the right moves.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1921 on: 05 Feb 2018, 16:56 »

For me Tangled is so much better than Frozen

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1922 on: 07 Feb 2018, 20:27 »

just finished watching Disney's USCG true story "The Finest Hours" with Chris Pine.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2025690/

My Rating:
Excellent - 3.9 stars of 5.
being Disney and only PG13, they're limited in the real life psychological horror that is shipwreck.
but they did a great job of keeping me on the edge of my seat.
I think it could be fleshed out more: Increased emphasis of the USCG cockleshells that are 36' rescue boats and much more emphasis on the dangers of the deep dark Sea.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1923 on: 09 Feb 2018, 10:18 »

Watched Bladerunner 2049 just now ... s'cuse me ...

DANG!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2018, 10:34 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #1924 on: 07 Mar 2018, 12:28 »

Justice League - Not surprised to be extremely disappointed.
Murder on the Orient Express - Holy fuck.  Branagh was amazing as both actor and director.  The cinematography was top notch and actually all the actors gave pretty damn good performances
Three Billboards - I'm still processing.  I feel like I've watched something that I haven't fully comprehended yet.  But I like what I've seen.
Mother - I definitely have to rewatch this.  I've gotten some of the point, but there's definitely some of the symbolism that I didn't get.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1925 on: 13 Mar 2018, 20:39 »

"A Wrinkle in Time".

There are precious childhood memories attached to that book. The movie added to them.

Storm Reid is an actress to watch. She did a remarkably difficult job of portraying someone withdrawn while still making it possible to se her emotions.

There were a few mistakes and a few fixes.
(click to show/hide)

My wife and I had cocoa together afterward.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #1926 on: 16 Mar 2018, 08:47 »

I got free advanced passes to Tombraider night before last.  While it's never going to win any awards, I liked it quite a bit.  I won't include any spoilers for people that have yet to see it, so about all I can say is that they mixed old with new and it was a pretty decent result.

There were a couple of moments where my friends and I agreed that it felt like something got rushed from the editing process, and something just seemed to be missing.  But aside from that, there were a lot of moments that were straight out of the game, and one friend even commented that he kept wanting to reach for a controller because it felt like he was watching the game being played.  I took that as a good thing.

We enjoyed it, and I wouldn't have been upset if Id payed instead of seeing it for free.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1927 on: 24 Mar 2018, 14:58 »

Finally got the chance to see Black Panther today.

Loved it! Easily one of my favourite Marvel films. 

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1928 on: 28 Mar 2018, 06:31 »

I finally watched Battle: Los Angeles. There's been a copy at work since the day I started, but it's all scratched to hell so we don't get past 30 minutes into it. I got a copy from the local library and that's scratched to hell too. This should have been a warning sign to me. Finally watched it and it's just not good.

It's an okay action movie about aliens invading our world, and the soldiers trying to rescue people as we fight them off. What should be tense stand offs are boring and half way through the movie I didn't care about any of the characters and was wondering if I should just turn it off

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #1929 on: 03 Apr 2018, 02:55 »

Went to see Isle of Dogs on Sunday.

Firstly the bad stuff; white saviour syndrome and some fairly shoddy cultural representation of Japan that strays into the realm of appropriation. The film is in English and Japanese but I'm given to understand that bilingual viewers will not gain much.

Then the good stuff; This is quite a lush piece of stop-motion animation which in it's genre is fairly innovative. This is underpinned by an immersive soundtrack and the two come together to serve an excellent piece of storytelling that is a host to a hoard of delightful little easter eggs.

I'm not well qualified to judge the offence of the bad stuff (WMCM) and despite noticing it, I really enjoyed the film. I'd still recommend going to see it.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #1930 on: 07 Apr 2018, 12:40 »

Got free passes to 'A Quiet Place'.  I did not expect to enjoy it.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  Excellent suspense buildup, characters that aren't idiots but that do make very human, very realistic mistakes, and that lack of dialogue really was jarring.  It made what they did have to say much more important.

I highly recommend this movie.

My blog

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1931 on: 07 Apr 2018, 13:22 »

I heard it is best not to get candy or anything that would make noise when watching "A Quiet Place."  Mostly because you will scare yourself/the other viewers.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1932 on: 07 Apr 2018, 15:07 »

I heard it is best not to get candy or anything that would make noise when watching "A Quiet Place."  Mostly because you will scare yourself/the other viewers.

Really? That would be a shame.

Yes, a shame...

Let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby and scare the shit out of viewers!

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #1933 on: 08 Apr 2018, 00:20 »

Actually, I coughed at one point and the pregnant woman next to me nearly jumped out of her seat. I did my best to stifle my coughs after that. There was also a very tense moment near the end when someone's phone rang and everyone just kinda started laughing. It was almost indicative of how the whole audience felt so wound up and that just released the pressure.

My blog

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1934 on: 10 Apr 2018, 06:55 »

I have just seen A Quiet Place, largely thanks to the recommendations from this thread.

Horror is not normally my bag, but when I found out that it's not normally John Krasinski's either, and that the real main theme of the film concerns what a parent would do to protect their kids, then I decided that this film would be a rare exception.

The film is intense, mainly because I quickly empathised with the characters. The film's use of silence and of sound is outstanding. I'm very glad I saw it.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1935 on: 11 Apr 2018, 13:40 »

The Death Of Stalin. Definitely funny if you like dark but also kinda wacky, bantery humour. Kinda lost me at the last twenty minutes but until then was a very easy watch because of the character interaction. There's a few quotable lines.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1936 on: 13 Apr 2018, 20:20 »

There's another recommendation I decided to take up, and that makes it two for two, because it was a riot. I'm also tempted to get the soundtrack, because it is perfect.

I think the funniest thing about the music was thinking I was listening to Shostakovich but not recognising it. And of course it is not Shostakovich at all.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2018, 20:34 by Tova »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1937 on: 16 Apr 2018, 04:11 »

Just watched "I am your Father", the Documentary about David Prowse and his shabby treatment at the hands of Lucasfilm in general.

The rumours put out about this guy were ridiculous, and all of them were debunked by simple fact checking and actual discussion with those purported to have started them.

Unfortunately, the whole thing is let down by the "film-maker", either consciously or subconsciously, looking to big up his own role in his film.
And the farce of "We're going to re-shoot the Vader demasking scene with David" and then... after seeing the build up, and the set and the makeup all of which looked spot on... they don't show it.

It's an interesting enough doc. but ultimately left me both angry (at the truth about the LACK of Prowse "spoilers coming out), and at Lucasfilms' producers going... "He had a reputation of speaking to the press. He gave away this.. he gave way that.. and then saying "Oh. We thought he was giving away secrets!" but it making NO difference to the treatment Prowse received, (receiving NO invitations to appear at any *Official* Star Wars conventions.)

So, angry at that... and also miffed and a bit "false advertising-y" at the omission of the "climactic" re-shoot footage.

« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2018, 02:14 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1938 on: 17 Apr 2018, 13:50 »

Just watched "I am your Father", the Documentary about David Prowse and his shabby treatment at the hands of Lucasfilm in general.

The rumours put out about this guy were ridiculous, and all of them were debunked by simple fact checking and actual discussion with those purported to have started them.

Unfortunately, the whole thing is let down by the "film-maker", either consciously or subconsciously, looking to big up his own role in his film.
And the farce of "We're going to re-shoot the Vader demasking scene with David" and then... after seeing the build up, and the set and the makeup all of which looked spot on... they don't show it.

It's an interesting enough doc. but ultimately left me both angry (at the truth about the LACK of Prowse "spoilers coming out), and at Lucasfilms' producers going... "He had a reputation of speaking to the press. He gave away this.. he gave way that.. and then saying "Oh. We thought he was giving away secrets!" but it making NO difference to the treatment Prowse received, (receiving NO invitations to appear at any *Official* Star Wars conventions.)

And of course, now he's dead...

So, angry at that... and also miffed and a bit "false advertising-y" at the omission of the "climactic" re-shoot footage.

Not that it invalidates any of your arguments, but AFAIK David Prowse is still very much alive, no?

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1939 on: 18 Apr 2018, 02:16 »

Not that it invalidates any of your arguments, but AFAIK David Prowse is still very much alive, no?

Yes... yes he is...

I dunno why I said that! I must have been thinking of Kenny Baker, who also appeared in the doc.
(Cos, you know, they look so similar!)  :oops:

OP amended! Cheers!
Covenant

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1940 on: 29 Apr 2018, 07:43 »

Saw Infinity War and it was very good

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1941 on: 29 Apr 2018, 11:01 »

Just back from The Avengers - Infinity War and all I can say is
(click to show/hide)

(Mod note: Spoiler edit.)
« Last Edit: 01 May 2018, 12:51 by Welu »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1942 on: 30 Apr 2018, 02:29 »

Saw Infinity War last night...
Wow...

(Ben RG - please read my spoiler)

(click to show/hide)

Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1943 on: 01 May 2018, 08:44 »

So, I've been thinking about the next Avengers movie. As it is an absolute impossibility to discuss it without spoiling Infinity War, I'm putting it in a spoiler space.

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1944 on: 02 May 2018, 13:19 »

Thought, musings, and general tinfoilery in no particular order:

(click to show/hide)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1945 on: 03 May 2018, 04:42 »

Thought, musings, and general tinfoilery in no particular order:

(click to show/hide)

Possible spoilers for Next Avengers Movie (relating to Infinity War)

(click to show/hide)
Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1946 on: 05 May 2018, 17:39 »

Every time I think of watching a Marvel film -
(CUT TO BLACK - FADE IN)
I figure I'll watch the trailer and see if I'm interested.
(CUT TO BLACK - FADE IN)
Inevitably, it will be filled with moments -
(CUT TO BLACK - FADE IN)
Doubtless pregnant with meaning and tension to the regular viewer -
(CUT TO BLACK - FADE IN)
That mean nothing to me whatsoever.
(CUT TO BLACK)
So I can't get interested and I never end up watching them.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1947 on: 06 May 2018, 12:38 »

Every time I think of watching a Marvel film -
(CUT TO BLACK - FADE IN)
I figure I'll watch the trailer and see if I'm interested.
(CUT TO BLACK - FADE IN)
Inevitably, it will be filled with moments -
(CUT TO BLACK - FADE IN)
Doubtless pregnant with meaning and tension to the regular viewer -
(CUT TO BLACK - FADE IN)
That mean nothing to me whatsoever.
(CUT TO BLACK)
So I can't get interested and I never end up watching them.

You try harder than I do...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1948 on: 06 May 2018, 12:59 »

The thing is, the Marvel films are quite good if you give them a chance (except Inhumans). In fact, they generally get better with each passing film.

I loved Thor Ragnarok, especially for its Jack Kirby-esque visuals given that last year was the centenary of Kirby's birth. But that's more for the fact that as I got older, I appreciated Kirby's art style.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1949 on: 07 May 2018, 03:06 »

I watched "Life" last night.
(Took me a while, but I got round to it)

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but I ended up really liking it!

(click to show/hide)
Covenant
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53   Go Up