THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 483855 times)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2000 on: 26 Nov 2018, 10:19 »

Blood Simple was their first. It's a brilliant tight crime thriller, and my favorite thing about it is the way everybody goes around with mistaken assumptions based on incomplete information - nobody but the viewer has the whole story.

Plus the opening voiceover has one of the greatest quotables ever: "In Russia, they got a system where everyone pulls for everyone else, or that's the theory of it anyway. But what I know is Texas, and out here, you're on your own."
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2001 on: 26 Nov 2018, 13:55 »

Saw the horror movie Hereditary recently.

If you're a horror man, you need to see this movie. It's absolutely JAMMED with the tropes of the genre, but it is done with so much flair and so much grounding in real human reactions to trauma that it's one of the most startlingly disturbing and frightening movies I've ever seen.

In the closing half hour, I was gripped, because I definitely didn't want to see what happened next but oh my God I have to see what happens next. That, friends, is horror.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2002 on: 26 Nov 2018, 14:52 »

Talking of horror, I just watched Happy Death Day this morning (yeah, I'm behind the curve; I see very few films in theaters these days.)

I had a hard time suspending disbelief in the case of
(click to show/hide)
Maybe it's because she's a privileged white girl? I dunno.
stePH
--

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2003 on: 19 Dec 2018, 14:33 »

It was last weekend, but Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

And nobody at work has watched it and I can't talk to them about it because spoilers >:(
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2004 on: 20 Dec 2018, 09:01 »

It was last weekend, but Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

And nobody at work has watched it and I can't talk to them about it because spoilers >:(

So what did you think of it? I am intrigued by the concept behind it.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2005 on: 20 Dec 2018, 12:49 »

I enjoyed it a lot. I've no particular desire to see it in a cinema again, but I'll likely get it on DVD/Blu-Ray if/when it comes out.

It was rather predictable in places, but no worse for it (it is a superhero movie after all).

It's pretty self-aware. If you're not into that, you'll probably still enjoy it, but (e.g.) Miles wonders why he starts to hear himself and then runs into some narration boxes. It starts of with a voiceover of one character explaining the story so far, starting with "You probably know all this already but...". That sort of thing.

(click to show/hide)

The mix of styles took some getting used to, but it worked really well. I did wonder if I'd got something in my eye or if someone had left fingerprints on the projector at one point, but apparently that was deliberate; some shots included misaligned edges to mimic comic book printing errors.

Some people have said it's the best Spider-Man film so far. I can't speak to that, not having watched all of them, but I'd definitely recommend it. It's up there as first or second of the ones I have seen. I'd love to watch more of it, either as a film or a series. Netflix plz?

Stay until after all of the credits.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2006 on: 20 Dec 2018, 18:55 »

I absolutely loved it, from start to finish

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2018, 18:53 by Blue Kitty »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2007 on: 21 Dec 2018, 00:42 »

Once Upon a Deadpool...
Only had a one-day release here...

The scenes with Fred Savage were kinda funny, but the edit of the movie itself seemed a little jumpy in places.
(Although, you might not notice if you haven't seen Deadpool 2 before...)

If you do get the chance to see it... as always.. wait until UTTERLY after the credits...
(Yes, including the big black "This movie gave x amount of people jobs..." static card.)

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2018, 07:34 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2008 on: 21 Dec 2018, 03:09 »

Just to break up the superhero films a bit, I saw A Star is Born recently. I thought it was a solid film with outstanding performances from the leads.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2009 on: 22 Dec 2018, 19:54 »

Finally saw Black Panther. I quite liked it. The villain was very compelling and the story was very well done. Also I have a man crush on M'Baku
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2010 on: 27 Dec 2018, 05:50 »

This month I've seen Into the Spider-verse (which I absolutely loved) and Mary Poppins Returns (which I also absolutely loved and genuinely don't get how it's getting some bad reviews). Been listening to the soundtrack for the latter daily since last Saturday when I saw it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

oddtail

« Reply #2011 on: 27 Dec 2018, 06:15 »

Mary Poppins Returns (which I also absolutely loved and genuinely don't get how it's getting some bad reviews).

I haven't seen either the original Mary Poppins or the new movie, but my guess would be that the new movie would get at least some bad reviews regardless of what it did and how well it did it. The original movie is such a beloved classic that it has a place in collective American consciousness completely divorced from the fact that it's a good movie on its own. It's part of the cultural landscape and whatnot. It's untouchable, so I'll assume to at least some audiences, and to some critics, making a new movie about MP is sacrilege. Or at least, the old movie is an impossible act to follow.

So I'd assume a new Mary Poppins movie was dommed to at least SOME bad reviews the same way that a new Star Wars movie is always doomed to some bad reviews. It's just a fact of nature.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2012 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:05 »

Watched The Space Between Us the other day. I'm impressed... they can apparently transmit radio signal faster than light speed, as evidenced by the lag-free, instantaneous communications between Earth and Mars.
Also, that sheathing of Gardner's major bones in carbon fiber, is that a thing that we can do currently? Reminded me of the metal-infused skeleton of Wolverine in the X-Men.
stePH
--

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2013 on: 28 Dec 2018, 02:32 »

Mary Poppins Returns (which I also absolutely loved and genuinely don't get how it's getting some bad reviews).

I haven't seen either the original Mary Poppins or the new movie, but my guess would be that the new movie would get at least some bad reviews regardless of what it did and how well it did it. The original movie is such a beloved classic that it has a place in collective American consciousness completely divorced from the fact that it's a good movie on its own. It's part of the cultural landscape and whatnot. It's untouchable, so I'll assume to at least some audiences, and to some critics, making a new movie about MP is sacrilege. Or at least, the old movie is an impossible act to follow.

So I'd assume a new Mary Poppins movie was dommed to at least SOME bad reviews the same way that a new Star Wars movie is always doomed to some bad reviews. It's just a fact of nature.

Whereas I have not yet seen the new Poppins movie, I haven't seen a bad review for it.

It should also be remembered that there are EIGHT books in the Mary Poppins canon - the original film was based on elements taken from the first four...
I believe this sequel is based on parts of them all...?
(P.L. Travers refused to allow Disney to make a sequel and restated that in her will - her estate ignored that, and allowed this one to go ahead.)

Personally, I'd like to see if they have had the bottle to make Poppins the verging on nasty character that she actually is in the books.

(PL Travers was quite a strange person and was VERY defensive of her creation - she never liked the original film at all and loathed not only Disney, but the 'american way' of creating 'popular culture'... her will (again!) made comments that no americans were 'allowed' to be involved in the Cameron McIntosh musical based on Poppins!)
Covenant

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2014 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:29 »

(PL Travers was quite a strange person and was VERY defensive of her creation - she never liked the original film at all and loathed not only Disney, but the 'american way' of creating 'popular culture'... her will (again!) made comments that no americans were 'allowed' to be involved in the Cameron McIntosh musical based on Poppins!)

That's the focus of the movie Saving Mister Banks, isn't it?
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2015 on: 28 Dec 2018, 15:49 »

Personally, I'd like to see if they have had the bottle to make Poppins the verging on nasty character that she actually is in the books.

I haven't seen it either, but I saw an article recently... lemme find it...

"I didn't want to just do a bad impersonation of Julie," Blunt said.

"I mean that should be preserved and treasured and kept as it is. And no-one is going to out-Julie Julie Andrews. Ever."

Instead, Blunt said she drew inspiration from the books, written by Australian-born author Pamela Lyndon Travers, which have a rather different take on Ms Poppins.

"She's weird and eccentric and completely unknowable and rude," Blunt said.

"[She] reveals none of her inner workings. She's completely enigmatic."

It's a characterisation that might have pleased Travers far more than the original reportedly ever did.

Mary Poppins returns as Emily Blunt reprises the iconic (and contentious) role

Which reminds me (for reasons that may not be obvious) that I recently watched The Imitation Game. I couldn't say that it was a bad movie, and yet I found it unsatisfying, partly because of the inaccuracies, but mainly because it was oversentimental and romanticised. The film also had too many big names for me to ever forget that I was watching Benedict Cumberbatch et al.

It was obviously successful in what it was trying to achieve (mainstream recognition of Alan Turing's accomplishments), and I'm happy about that. I suppose I simply wasn't a part of the film's target audience.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2016 on: 29 Dec 2018, 21:45 »

I'm spending this summer catching up on a bunch of films I've been meaning to watch.

Solo - breaks no new ground, so I'm not surprised some were a little disappointed, but it was a decently entertaining flick.
BlackKKlansman - Spike Lee lives up to expectations with a story that is at once incredible and still completely relevant. I loved in particular the visual magic when he spotlit faces in the crowd during the student union speech, and the trademark double dolly shot.
La Strada - I loved this one, but I'll let someone else do the talking this time.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2017 on: 30 Dec 2018, 06:38 »

I finally rented the Kingsman sequel. Now every time I hear "Almost Heaven, West Virginia" I will go to three or four on the scale of sadness where Fry's dog is a 10.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2018 on: 30 Dec 2018, 06:57 »

Watched The Mark of Zorro (1940), more on that later.

Also watched Rogue One, and it was a fine movie but demonstrated everything I hate about both prequels and Star Wars movies.

oddtail

« Reply #2019 on: 30 Dec 2018, 07:34 »

Finally got around to watching Spider-man: Homecoming.

It was pretty good! I wasn't blown away or anything, but it's north of the average as far as superhero movies I've seen go. Definitely one of the funnier ones, and the villain was the high point. Seeing as villains in Marvel movies tend to be underwhelming at best. This one is up there with Killmonger and Ego for me, personally (note that I haven't seen Infinity War yet, so I still have no reason to think of Thanos as anything but boring and bland, which might change when and if I see the movie).

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2020 on: 30 Dec 2018, 22:23 »

Not a movie, but I've started watching Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi's Wellington Paranormal. It's a spinoff from What We Do in the Shadows. A deadpan mockumentary that leaves me dissolved in fits of laughter.

I also rewatched the 1985 film Bliss and remembered what made it such a controversial yet outstanding classic Australian film.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #2021 on: 30 Dec 2018, 23:23 »

I watched Bumblebee; nowhere near the revelation that has been alleged but a nice change of pace in many ways. Hayley Steinfeld really carries the film. Her performance really fills out all the blanks and her ability to work with the CGI and full-motion prop Bumblebees was excellent.

The general feel was warmer than the other Bayverse films. I'm hoping that, official demurs aside, this represents a full reboot.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2022 on: 31 Dec 2018, 00:47 »

That's the focus of the movie Saving Mister Banks, isn't it?

It is indeed!
Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2023 on: 31 Dec 2018, 00:50 »

Not a movie, but I've started watching Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi's Wellington Paranormal.

WHOA!!!!

Where is this to be found!?
Covenant

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2024 on: 31 Dec 2018, 07:32 »

I finally rented the Kingsman sequel. Now every time I hear "Almost Heaven, West Virginia" I will go to three or four on the scale of sadness where Fry's dog is a 10.
That movie currently sits on DVR waiting to be watched. I consider myself warned.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2019, 16:37 by Theta9 »
stePH
--

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2025 on: 31 Dec 2018, 16:07 »

Bumblebee.

Too many humans, not enough transforming robots. I went to see a Transformers film to see transforming robots (or rather, one particular transforming robot. Others are bonuses), not terrible-life McGee. Sure, her mother plays favourites and doesn't see that she's not dealing with her dad's death the same way, but still: more transforming robots please.

On that note: the stepdad is useless, the brother needs a kick in the teeth, the mother more so. I get that we need to know who the antagonists (if such her family can be called. Secondary antagonists? Insufferable jackasses?) are, but could we have some subtlety? I felt like Travis Knight was hitting me around the face with a sledgehammer sometimes. THESE PEOPLE ARE DOING IT WRONG AND CHARLIE IS SAD.

John Cena flip-flops more than a Shoe Zone summer sale. I'm not sure that he wasn't actually playing two parts. Sometimes he's pretty reasonable: a giant tranforming thing has fallen out of the sky, so go and find out what it is. These other aliens have turned up and want access to military satellites, but we don't know who they are so maybe we shouldn't just hand it over.

Other times he's the epitome of "raaaaar kill everything" Army tropes. Anyone remember "There's a door in my way"? Really? You're going to blow up the door to your own hangar without trying to, I don't know, trying to open it? Or even find out what's on the other side?

Oh, everyone's all buddy-buddy at the end? My left foot. The one that had a massive wart under the big toenail.

All that said, there were bits I liked. The battle for Cybertron right at the beginning was good (though I'd probably have appreciated it more if I'd watched the original series as much as the people I went with have), I liked that Charlie/Memo wasn't a foregone conclusion at the end of it, and I did like the idea of the film. I just think it was a (big) bit clunky. I'd like to watch more, just... if you're going to make a Transformers film, can the transforming robots be the focus of the film? If I wanted to watch "A girl is dealing with the loss of her father and her family really isn't helping. (Also Transformers)", then I'd go buy tickets for that.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2026 on: 31 Dec 2018, 16:17 »

Not a movie, but I've started watching Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi's Wellington Paranormal.

WHOA!!!!

Where is this to be found!?

I am streaming it via SBS On Demand. I don’t know how you might be able to access it, sorry! :(

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2027 on: 03 Jan 2019, 13:34 »

"Please Stand By", the Dakota Fanning movie about the autistic writer who runs away from her assisted living facility to hand-deliver a Star Trek script to Paramount. Content warning: scenes of cruelty to the vulnerable.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2028 on: 04 Jan 2019, 07:20 »

"Please Stand By", the Dakota Fanning movie about the autistic writer who runs away from her assisted living facility to hand-deliver a Star Trek script to Paramount. Content warning: scenes of cruelty to the vulnerable.

Any good? It sounds like a movie I would really appreciate if executed well.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2029 on: 08 Jan 2019, 07:40 »

Stayed home sick yesterday and watched Radio Free Albemuth and Ghost in the Shell.

RFA was a fair adaptation of the novel, but the novel was much improved on when rewritten as VALIS.

GitS was enjoyable too, and I didn't have a problem with ScarJo playing the Major, especially after the reveal
(click to show/hide)
stePH
--

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2030 on: 08 Jan 2019, 08:55 »

GitS was enjoyable too, and I didn't have a problem with ScarJo playing the Major

Hmmmmg - I did, a little bit. I felt that Johansson did a weird 'robo-walk' in some scenes, perhaps to emphasize that 'Yes, zis is a mighty powerful Robot that looks like a petite woman'. That thing where she squares her shoulders, hardly moves her arms & walks as if some cretin had told her to 'walk like a man'. Bit weird compared to her (+stuntdouble's) performance in the Avengers movies (Awesome!).

« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2019, 09:34 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2031 on: 08 Jan 2019, 13:39 »

GitS was enjoyable too, and I didn't have a problem with ScarJo playing the Major

Hmmmmg - I did, a little bit. I felt that Johansson did a weird 'robo-walk' in some scenes, perhaps to emphasize that 'Yes, zis is a mighty powerful Robot that looks like a petite woman'. That thing where she squares her shoulders, hardly moves her arms & walks as if some cretin had told her to 'walk like a man'. Bit weird compared to her (+stuntdouble's) performance in the Avengers movies (Awesome!).
I was referring to the "whitewashing" charge. But this was more like Ben Kingsley in Iron Man 3 than like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
stePH
--

TreyGel

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2032 on: 09 Jan 2019, 04:49 »

Watched Aquaman the other day. It's not half bad. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The plot is kind of predictable though, but that's the way it is nowadays with most movies.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2033 on: 09 Jan 2019, 06:28 »

I was referring to the "whitewashing" charge. But this was more like Ben Kingsley in Iron Man 3 than like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Yeah ... IDK, I get why people got upset about a Scandinavian-American Hollywood Superstar starring as an iconic Japanese Character

(I got a wee bit pissed about Tom Cruise casting himself as Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg rather than looking for a central European - Stauffenberg is one of the few resistance heroes we have, and has e.g. been important in the forming of the Bundeswehr's post-war self-image. Some of our own star-actors applied for the role, e.g. Thomas Kretschmann, who isn't exactly a nobody in Hollywood. Cruise does have a semblance to the actual Stauffenberg, granted, but still. Face ain't everything, and white isn't simply white in Europe, there's lots of subtle clues in language/diction, posture, mimic).

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2034 on: 14 Jan 2019, 14:34 »

Watched Bill and Ted Go to Hell this morning, which I had never seen before (saw the first film once, during its theatrical run in '89).
It was okay - I can kind of feel for the villain's frustration that the world is "dominated by the legacy of those fools" - but I'd be okay enough with the result (worldwide peace, harmony and prosperity) that I'd be willing to forgive founders B&T for being utter pillocks.

But what I really enjoyed was finding out where Frank Klepacki got those little soundbites that he included in some of his Command & Conquer soundtracks. He didn't use the actual clips from the movie though; seems he got an actor to imitate the lines.

"No Mercy"

"We Will  Stop Them"
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2019, 17:21 by Theta9 »
stePH
--

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2035 on: 14 Jan 2019, 15:39 »

So yeah when I was at my mum's house over Christmas we watched The Mark of Zorro (1940).

It is amazing how often lately I watch something super old and it feels like a breath of fresh air.

The main plot of this movie is never really verbally acknowledged at any point. Zorro (I forget the character name but he isn't Zorro yet) is this dude living in Spain, and he is an amazing swordsman. He has to travel to California, where his father used to rule the province, and he finds that a new guy is running the place and he's a despot.

So Zorro decides to invent the Zorro alter ego to take this guy down, and begins alienating his friends and family by portraying himself out of the mask as a weak, scatterbrained, nouveau riche asshole. He never once vocalises that he is doing this, even when revealing who he truly is to people. It's ENTIRELY played through his performance. It's electrifying and subtle at the same time. That just doesn't happen in movies any more.

And you know what? The bad guys aren't people with questionable morals and ethics and abusive parents with rational motivations, they're fucking movie villains who you want to see get annihilated. And spoiler, it's the 40s, so they DO. Now that every movie has a downer ending or is part of some enormous shared universe so nothing ever really ends, this was enormously refreshing.

I saw the Lego Batman Movie, and I'm just gonna say it - I think it's the best Batman movie ever. I've never seen a Batman movie that is so aware of, in deference to and completely disrespectful towards the canon. The version of Joker in this universe fits in perfectly with who the Joker is in the comics.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2036 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:45 »

I've watched the first two episodes of Babylon Berlin. I can't remember the last time I've been so engrossed in a television series.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #2037 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:14 »

The main plot of this movie is never really verbally acknowledged at any point. Zorro (I forget the character name but he isn't Zorro yet) is this dude living in Spain, and he is an amazing swordsman. He has to travel to California, where his father used to rule the province, and he finds that a new guy is running the place and he's a despot.

So Zorro decides to invent the Zorro alter ego to take this guy down, and begins alienating his friends and family by portraying himself out of the mask as a weak, scatterbrained, nouveau riche asshole. He never once vocalises that he is doing this, even when revealing who he truly is to people. It's ENTIRELY played through his performance. It's electrifying and subtle at the same time.

FWIW, many people acknowledge that the modern Batman/Bruce Wayne duality is almost entirely inspired by The Mark of Zorro. Steve Rude and Dave Gibbons acknowledged this in World's Finest (aka 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' done right) by having this as the film the Wayne family had just been to see that fateful night in Crime Alley.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2038 on: 15 Jan 2019, 10:47 »

I did think it was funny that Batman Beyond (1999) was eerily similar to The Mask of Zorro (1998).  I guess it only makes sense that they go back to their Zorro roots for some ideas, even if it was a modern version of those roots.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2039 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:36 »

I never considered that.

That's pretty hilarious, because Batman Beyond is one of my favourite TV shows ever made, and Return of the Joker was my pick for the best Batman movie until Dark Knight and, now, Lego Batman happened.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2040 on: 22 Jan 2019, 16:54 »

After listening to the audiobook of Annihilation last week, I watched the movie this morning.

It has almost nothing in common with the novel it's "based on" - instead, it plays more like a remake of Solaris.
stePH
--

oddtail

« Reply #2041 on: 04 Feb 2019, 15:46 »

Y'know, I'm just gonna go ahead and repaste what I just wrote on my Facebook page.

-----

Here's a confession about something utterly stupid.

Getting ready to watch Into the Spider-Verse, I rewatched the first Raimi Spider-Man for the first time since I saw it in a cinema in 2002. Y'know, to get myself into a Spider-Man mood.

Back then, I got hung up on the ending, because I thought it was super out of character for Peter Parker. It kinda blinded me to good things about the movie. Plus, back then I knew even less about films than I do now. I didn't pay attention to much when watching movies.

"Spider-Man" actually turned me off completely to all superhero movies (to the point that I never watched any) until like 2011, when I watched Captain America.

Yes, nine years was BIT of an overreaction ;). But Spider-Man stories were an important part of my childhood, and back when I was a teenager I had a very rigid vision of what the character was. Don't judge me.

I actually have been meaning to revisit Raimi's Spider-Man for like five years now, to see how my perceptions changed. Just never really got around to it.

Anyhow. It's funny that I hated the movie based on just one scene (which is a good scene anyway), because upon rewatch, the entire film holds up REAL well.

It's just a thoroughly well-made movie by someone who also gets comic book stories and how they work. Also, it aged gracefully in almost every aspect. I honestly think it's one of the best superhero movies I've seen, now that I watched it at exactly twice my age back then. I think it's in my "top five ever" of superhero movies now. Teenage me was kind of an idiot.

I hear the second movie is better. I'm watching that one soon, too, and have kinda high hopes for it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2042 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:56 »

Mirai (aka Mirai no Mirai)

I enjoyed this well enough, but was somewhat disappointed in it.  The time travelling and time travellers showing Kun things about the world worked OK I suppose.  But what was wonky in my eyes was that the film showed Kun being taught to get along with his younger sister, when from my Western viewpoint his bad behaviour was largely caused by  poor parenting; and the oldest version of him we saw was as grumpy teenager who was no great advertisement for the lesson he was supposed to have been taught in any case...

No better than a straight B (or B- if I'm in a grumpy mood).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2043 on: 22 Feb 2019, 02:23 »

Along with the rest of the world, probably.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2044 on: 24 Feb 2019, 19:48 »

I just watched Victor Crowley, the fourth film in the Hatchet series.

If anyone sees a pinkish pool of goo on the ground as that is what's left of my brains.

Seriously, one of the worst (and most disgusting) films I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2019, 19:58 by Castlerook »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #2045 on: 24 Feb 2019, 23:36 »

Just saw How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World. Not the strongest story in the franchise but well presented and well delivered. The characters and situations were well crafted together and ensure that Hiccup and Toothless's final decision in the last main scene makes perfect sense.

Whilst this is definitively the end of the arcs begun in the first film, completing both the stories of humanity's interaction with dragonkind and also Hiccup's Hero's Journey to believing in himself and being the leader Berk needed, there is plenty of room for new stories in the universe.

(click to show/hide)

Bonus Feature: Kirsten Wiig absolutely steals several scenes as Ruffnut.

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #2046 on: 25 Feb 2019, 09:16 »

Augmented Reality live action? No, that'd be "Who framed Roger Rabbit" (and holy hell, that movie didn't age much).

Tracked Animation? Is there a fancier word for that?

You are right, of course. Well, I called it 'live-action', not 'real-life', but it is neither. It's some kind of motion-tracked animation afaik.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2047 on: 25 Feb 2019, 14:06 »

Are you thinking of motion capture?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2048 on: 25 Feb 2019, 15:03 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2049 on: 25 Feb 2019, 16:25 »

What would we call the new remake of The Lion King? I don't think it qualifies as "live action" even though it looks photorealistic.

Asking for a friend.
stePH
--
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 53   Go Up