THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488022 times)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2200 on: 05 Aug 2019, 06:48 »

I just watched Coco. Great movie. I will only be able to watch it once though. The tears. They flowed too much.  :cry:

There's a class of movie that you only watch once, even tho' it's a really good movie. For me the exemplar of the type is Grave of the Fireflies.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2019, 10:17 by Theta9 »
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

oddtail

« Reply #2201 on: 05 Aug 2019, 07:02 »

I just watched Coco. Great movie. I will only be able to watch it once though. The tears. They flowed too much.  :cry:

There's a class of movie that you only watch once, even tho' it's a really good movie. For me the exemplar of the type is Grave of the Fireflies.

Agreed. And it's "A Clockwork Orange" for me.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2202 on: 05 Aug 2019, 08:56 »

I can only watch that one every 10 years or so.  It was even more disturbing than usual when I watched it the first time I took acid.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2203 on: 05 Aug 2019, 15:42 »

Oh and I saw How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World last night.

Not as good as HtTYD or its first sequel, but better than Despicable Me or Shark Tale.
stePH
--

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2204 on: 05 Aug 2019, 16:58 »

Please, an actual shark attack is better than Shark Tale.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2205 on: 05 Aug 2019, 17:05 »

Is even a Sharknado better?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #2206 on: 06 Aug 2019, 01:11 »

From what I understand of it, expecting 'quality' from Sharknado is missing the point. The whole experience is meant to be viewed through a haze of tears of hilarity and, optimally, a mild sugar high from the stuff you gorged on from the concession stand.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2207 on: 06 Aug 2019, 07:02 »

Please, an actual shark attack is better than Shark Tale.
I admit, that's a low bar to clear. But I also have no great opinion of Despicable Me.
stePH
--

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2208 on: 17 Aug 2019, 12:07 »

Despicable Me has some nice elements to it, and there is good stuff in there.

Shark Tale is one of the most depressingly cynical, soulless movies I have ever seen.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2209 on: 18 Aug 2019, 08:57 »

Despicable Me has some nice elements to it, and there is good stuff in there.

Shark Tale is one of the most depressingly cynical, soulless movies I have ever seen.

Yeah, Despicable Me 1 and 2 are nice animated movies about found families and has a lot of heart. The 3rd one is a little different, but still pretty good

Shark tale is straight up garbage

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2210 on: 18 Aug 2019, 09:25 »

Watched King Kong vs Godzilla.
I laughed through most of it, though not for the reasons the studio intended. Definitely watch it again.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2211 on: 25 Aug 2019, 20:30 »

Just saw Aquaman. Pretty good. Its like King Arthur mixed with Thor.

Watching it really made me want to create some sort of strategy game involving the Atlantian kingdoms. Like a diplomacy sim with natural disasters caused by human oil spills, over fishing, and garbage storms. Not only do you have to balance out the 10 kingdoms but also deal with the surface. Maybe by the end of the game you make your presence known to the surface world after uniting the 10 kingdoms? Something like The Last Federation mixed with XCom with some underwater army battles.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2212 on: 25 Aug 2019, 20:45 »

Oh! And each kingdom has their own strengths and weaknesses based on their sea, like Arctic Ocean being slow to recover from natural disasters, so to avoid conflict, it's more diplomatic, while the Pacific Ocean becoming more warlike because of surface shipping (and dumping - there's so much plastic in the Northern Pacific Gyre that there's a landmass forming the size of Texas). And maybe each kingdom gets it's own unique monster, like the Megalodon or the Kraken.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2213 on: 26 Aug 2019, 19:29 »

I like where your heads at.  :-D

We'll keep it in the Atlantic though, the x-pac or sequel will introduce a new challenger, Lemuria in the Pacific. It'll be the war for the waves.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2214 on: 01 Sep 2019, 18:06 »

Tried watching Blair Witch (2016) and I remembered there's a reason I hate found footage films.
Most of the time, it keeps hopping around to different characters, leaving you wondering whose perspective you're looking at now.
Everyone is invariably some kind of asshole.
There's invariably some sort of prank/hoax to make you think that its fake and then bam, everything goes to hell.
You know everyone is going to die, so it's spoiled before you watch it.

So basically I got so bored I stopped watching it when someone got snapped like a twig.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2215 on: 01 Oct 2019, 08:50 »

I finally watched Missing Link, the latest movie from Laika. It was....not good. It was beautiful as all Laika movies are, but it was just boring. I'm a little sadly especially since Kubo and the 2 Strings was so good

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2216 on: 01 Oct 2019, 11:45 »

I think Laika's success is coming back to bite them in the ass, as it seems to be a steady decline in their films. Missing Link is terrible, Kubo was good, but Coraline is still one of the best stop motion films produced.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2217 on: 02 Oct 2019, 07:58 »

For me ParaNorman is their top one, with Kubo and Coraline sharing second, Box trolls third, and Missing Link fourth. Coraline is amazing but ParaNorman just hit me in all the right places

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2218 on: 02 Oct 2019, 12:42 »

For me ParaNorman is their top one, with Kubo and Coraline sharing second, Box trolls third, and Missing Link fourth. Coraline is amazing but ParaNorman just hit me in all the right places
I really liked ParaNorman and feel its under appreciated.  :venonat:

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2219 on: 16 Oct 2019, 09:42 »

Just watched Sojus 7 on Amazon. Basically, the Russian answer to Apollo 13. Great visuals, great fun, and very realistic (well, compared to Gravity, at least - I doubt that any pilot would have risked-, much less managed, that docking maneuver ...)

Also has this 'Down-to-earth-Eastern European'-feeling  (If you've ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on PC, you know what I mean) that makes it twice as enjoyable as comparable Hollywood flicks. If you're an 80s brat, it'll immediately suck you in.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2019, 09:48 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2220 on: 19 Oct 2019, 20:18 »

Anyone checked out "Primal" yet on Cartoon Network's late night line up Adult Swim? I just caught the ending half of an episode. Its pretty dope. Its like the Conan the Barbarian stories/novels but if Conan was a caveman and teams up with a dinosaur  :mrgreen:. Its very brutal. Its made by the same guy that created Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, The Original 2d Clone Wars series, and Hotel Transylvanian. Definitely worth a watch!

Spoiler contains a gif of the show with a brutal scene of an ape man being punched to pieces.
(click to show/hide)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2221 on: 29 Oct 2019, 07:29 »

Summer Wars if nobody's mentioned it yet.

Miraia (or Mirai of the Future) is another one I'll recommend. Time travel and a focus on one particular family. The time travel and the dog are barely (if at all) explained, so try not to dwell on it. What's important is the family.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2222 on: 29 Oct 2019, 07:59 »

Watched Zombieland 2 and it was actually far better than I expected to be. It holds up to the original, which often isn't the case with comedy sequels. If you liked the first one you will like the second.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

dutchrvl

« Reply #2223 on: 04 Nov 2019, 08:04 »

Saw Parasite this past weekend, highly recommended. It's by Bong Joon-Ho, famous for Snowpiercer, Memories of Murder, Okja, and the Host, among others.

I think it's classified here as horror, but I would definitely not call it that.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2019, 08:09 by dutchrvl »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2224 on: 05 Nov 2019, 02:27 »

Mirai (or Mirai of the Future) is another one I'll recommend.

I'll add a recommendation for Mirai.

Another recent anime film about relationships which I'd recommend is Maquia - When the promised flower blooms.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2225 on: 30 Nov 2019, 17:15 »

Frozen II.

Enjoyed it, but it was better when it was called The Fifth Element… or was that Avatar: The Last Airbender:-D
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2226 on: 01 Dec 2019, 04:07 »

Frozen II.

Enjoyed it, but it was better when it was called The Fifth Element…[snip]

Putting those two films in the same review is bold.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2227 on: 02 Dec 2019, 12:34 »

Frozen II.

Enjoyed it, but it was better when it was called The Fifth Element…[snip]

Putting those two films in the same review is bold.
If you've seen Frozen II you would get the joke. And the Avatar reference.
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2228 on: 02 Dec 2019, 14:17 »

Okay, sorry, I'm allergic to memes and sick references.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2229 on: 03 Dec 2019, 04:02 »

Last night I watched "The Nightmare Before Christmas" in Glasgow Hydro with many thousands of others.

With LIVE music played by a full orchestra, and songs sung by the ORIGINAL voice cast!
(Yes, including Ken Page as Mr Oogie Boogie!)

It was... sublime!

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2230 on: 03 Dec 2019, 05:21 »

I am jealous!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2231 on: 07 Dec 2019, 08:56 »

I watched Knives Out on thursday and it was very good. Very good twists and turns that keep you guessing till the very end

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2232 on: 21 Dec 2019, 01:45 »

Season 4 of The Expanse is out!

:parrot:
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2233 on: 21 Dec 2019, 14:08 »

Finally watched Misery. I've read the book a dozen times so was really fun to watch. I'd heard Kathy Bates was amazing and yep, she did a wonderful job.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2234 on: 23 Dec 2019, 13:10 »

Finally watched Misery. I've read the book a dozen times so was really fun to watch. I'd heard Kathy Bates was amazing and yep, she did a wonderful job.
Among the best King adaptations.
stePH
--

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #2235 on: 24 Dec 2019, 21:12 »

took my daughter and went to see the new STAR WARS on opening weekend.

42 years in the making.

from the hype, it was underwhelming and needed an extra hour to develop the story.

but I got discount tickets at $6 each, so it was worth that price.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2236 on: 29 Dec 2019, 09:43 »

I've only seen Treasure Planet in bits and pieces (and very few bits and pieces) but after watching Cinemawins about it, I decided to watch it.

HOW HAVE I MISSED THIS FOR SO LONG!!! Its great! Maybe its because I am a parent now but I went red faced, giving myself a headache, trying not to cry at the part where Jim and Silver are bonding mid film as the Goo Goo Dolls play. Beautifully put together story and the character designs and universe are just wonderful. I am surprised there isn't a "Guns of Icarus" style game set in this style. I remember watching a cartoon version of Treasure Island when I was a young kid on Nickelodeon, and I had seen Muppet Treasure Island, so I remember some parts of the narrative and was excited to see the parallels between the story and this sci-fi version. Jim's growth and the father figure he finally got was just so believable and somehow realistic. All in all, a solid film.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2237 on: 10 Jan 2020, 11:27 »

Rise of Skywalker - solid visuals, potential for awesomeness but marred by unhappy actors, unusually bad dialogue, surprisingly disinterested direction, aggressive (and sloppy) editing, janky score. I don't know what happened with this movie but it looks like the product of a decidedly dysfunctional process. Suspect the director's cut or extended edition will be much better. Not garbage, visually better than tLJ, but wrt dramaturgy, much worse.

One positive thing though:

Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2238 on: 13 Jan 2020, 04:41 »

Finally saw Joker this weekend...

Wow!

What a total mind-feck! (In a good way!)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

dutchrvl

« Reply #2239 on: 13 Jan 2020, 05:05 »

Verdict?

We watched the first 2 seasons about 2 years ago and loved it, then for various reasons stopped. Honestly I completely missed that Amazon took over after Syfy canceled it.

We started rewatching from the start last week and again love it, in my view it's the best sci-fi show airing right now. Just hoping seasons 3 and 4 hold up :)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2240 on: 13 Jan 2020, 07:48 »

Finally watched My Neighbour Totoro. It was so sweet and lovely that I couldn't help but cry. Felt like a palate cleanser for my negative emotions.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2241 on: 13 Jan 2020, 08:56 »

IIRC, when it was first released, it was as a palate cleanser for Studio Ghibli's "Grave of the Fireflies".

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2242 on: 13 Jan 2020, 09:01 »

Just saying the title "Grave of the Fireflies" is enough to elicit tears in those that have seen it.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2243 on: 13 Jan 2020, 09:38 »

Verdict?

We watched the first 2 seasons about 2 years ago and loved it, then for various reasons stopped. Honestly I completely missed that Amazon took over after Syfy canceled it.

We started rewatching from the start last week and again love it, in my view it's the best sci-fi show airing right now. Just hoping seasons 3 and 4 hold up :)

Some folk said they were irked that Season 4's pacing was a bit slower - methinks that's because they wanted to be careful setting the groundwork for Duarte's Peoples' Exodus from Mars and the entire rulebook changing afterwards due to that - but I haven't noticed any drop in quality.

I loved how they turned Cibola Burn into moving pictures - one of my favourites in the series of books and it was really beautifully adapted.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2020, 09:56 by Case »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2244 on: 13 Jan 2020, 10:21 »

Just saying the title "Grave of the Fireflies" is enough to elicit tears in those that have seen it.

I'm just going to go to the corner and curl up into a ball.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2245 on: 13 Jan 2020, 15:49 »

Have you seen Barefoot Gen?  (There are various versions of the story - the anime films are what I know.)  Not a weepy in the same way, but a story of a boy living in Hiroshima when the bomb drops, written by a survivor - it doesn't spare the gruesome details, though some of the science is inconsistently applied.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2246 on: 17 Jan 2020, 11:22 »

GotF exemplifies to me the class of great films that can only be watched once.
stePH
--

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2247 on: 18 Jan 2020, 09:07 »

I've watched it more than once, it doesn't lose its impact on subsequent viewings. It is still painful. That's how well crafted it is.
@syleegrrl

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2248 on: 22 Jan 2020, 13:00 »

I've watched it more than once, it doesn't lose its impact on subsequent viewings. It is still painful. That's how well crafted it is.
And that's why I can't watch it again.
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2249 on: 24 Jan 2020, 04:21 »

I watched Knives Out on thursday and it was very good. Very good twists and turns that keep you guessing till the very end

Just watched it myself. So good!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53   Go Up