THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488001 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2250 on: 24 Jan 2020, 07:56 »

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2251 on: 30 Jan 2020, 09:38 »

I just watched Ready or Not and it was pretty great. I especially loved the end where:
(click to show/hide)

Boy am I glad for these Rich People Are Fucked Up and They Get What They Deserve movies

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2252 on: 06 Feb 2020, 07:45 »

I just watched "Uncut Gems". The movie was not even on my radar, but a few Youtubers I follow that talk about film (and who probably watch more movies per year than I watch in a decade) were singing praises of the movie.

The movie is good. I'm glad I watched it. It's tense and anxiety-inducing for me (which I think was intentional).

But I don't understand the level of praise it seems to be getting. I appreciated it (I can't really say I "enjoyed" it, see my anxiety comment), but it doesn't seem like any kind of big masterpiece for me.

So I definitely recommend it, but I'm thinking it might be overhyped by critics, or perhaps I'm just uncultured swine who doesn't get it. Which seems to be a general audience reaction, as audiences seem to have liked it FAR less than critics did, according to Rotten Tomatoes.

But again - it's a good movie. It's worth watching. Just - probably don't come to it with expectations as high as I did. I can't fathom how this gets called one of the best movies of the year.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2253 on: 10 Feb 2020, 09:17 »

Finally saw Joker this weekend...

Wow!

What a total mind-feck! (In a good way!)

Saw it this past Saturday, and yeah you can say that again.
While I haven't quite made up my mind as to how good I find the movie as a whole, Phoenix' performance did blow my mind. What he physically does with the role, the nuances in his expressions, and how he manages to depict his gradual descent into madness, it's quite something to behold. There is a quick shot near the end in which his expression is particularly menacing, and I compare it to the one scene in The Dark Knight in which Ledger was briefly particularly frightening ("Look at me!").

oddtail

« Reply #2254 on: 11 Feb 2020, 05:38 »

Finally got around to watching "My Neighbor Totoro". Somehow I managed to come to the movie completely blind.

Out of the Studio Ghibli movies I've watched so far, I think I overall preferred "Spirited Away", but I still spent like half an hour crying non-stop when I was watching "Totoro". The film is the perfect blend of warm, cute and sad.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2255 on: 13 Mar 2020, 04:30 »

I've started watching Babylon Berlin season three, and I am so in love with everything about it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

dutchrvl

« Reply #2256 on: 16 Mar 2020, 10:55 »

As so many others, I watched Contagion again, because it's A) a pretty good and fairly realistic movie, and B) to remind ourselves that things could be a LOT worse had this coronavirus been worse.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2257 on: 16 Mar 2020, 14:06 »

This is an interesting video to watch at the moment.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2258 on: 21 Mar 2020, 22:15 »

I'm on a bit of a Pirate kick this last week or so. We've watched Treasure Planet, then Muppet Treasure Island, and then the 1950s Treasure Island, Peter Pan, Hook, and now starting Pirates of the Caribbean. I also picked up Treasure Island on Audible.

Of the 3 Treasure Islands I've watched (all are on Disney +) I have to say, Treasure Planet is the best of the 3. The Muppet one is a great parody, and the 1950s one is closest to the book (so far that I have read). Treasure Planet (TP) has a better adventure story with amazing characters, relationships, universe, aesthetic, and perhaps the best iteration of Silver (and my favorite versions of Smollett, Arrow, and Jim). In a blink and you miss it scene at the beginning, you can see Silver's silhouette leading the pirates to the Inn to find Billy Bones. I love that little detail! Jim and Silver has the most complex relationship and the ending that's scripted for Silver in the original story feels earned compared to the other 2 movies. I'll explain the spoiler below.

(click to show/hide)

They did change Silver's backstory a bit in TP, but it all just fits! The 1950s TI's Silver did have moments where he reminded me of Jack Sparrow, Jim being his Will Turner. I will say, the fighting in the 1950s TI is so clumsy that its hilarious. I am also half expecting Jim to say "gee willikers mister!" as he seemed to walk out of a stereotypical 1950s sitcom and onto the TI set.

Fun fact: The Jim from MTI grew up to be a stand up comedian and is the current voice of 2D from Gorillaz.

In summation, I cannot sing Treasure Planet's praises any more than I can without just sitting you down to watch it. Its just beautiful.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2259 on: 22 Mar 2020, 05:49 »

Atlantis: Lost Empire and Treasure Planet feel like lost Disney treasures

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2260 on: 22 Mar 2020, 08:16 »

Mister Scroop, d'you ever wonder what happens to a fresh purp when ya squeeze real hard?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2261 on: 03 Apr 2020, 19:51 »

I saw Onward today. Its great. Watch it.

Its a literal urban fantasy where 2 boys go on a road trip to revive their father for one day, so they can meet him. Bring tissues if you are prone to pixar crying.* Tom Holland and Chris Pratt were excellent casts.

*Thats not a jab at anyone who has cried watching a pixar movie, its just a fact that they can really punch you emotionally with their movies in general.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

oddtail

« Reply #2262 on: 04 Apr 2020, 15:33 »

I watched "Donnie Darko". I liked it a lot. But I watched the Director's Cut, and I'm kinda frustrated that I did. From what I understand, the theatrical version was much more ambiguous and open to interpretation. The DC pretty much spells out what happened, and it was *way* too straightforward for me as a result. Maybe because I'd heard the movie was a mind screw and I was expecting something near-incomprehensible. But I think DC goes too far in the other direction. Watching the movie, my wife and I had basically three major theories as to what was happening. DC provides enough information that pretty much only one interpretation makes total sense by the end.

Still a great movie-watching experience, despite explaining things a bit too clearly to my liking.

So if you haven't watched the movie, I highly recommend it. Just do yourself a favour and watch the theatrical cut.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2263 on: 04 Apr 2020, 23:24 »

I haven't seen the DC, and I haven't seen the TC since it first came out, but I remember really liking it, especially as a kid with psychosis who rarely got to see people with my mental health issues portrayed positively.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

oddtail

« Reply #2264 on: 19 Apr 2020, 16:07 »

I caught up on "Jojo Rabbit". It's an amazing movie, and if you know it only by reputation and from trailers/wacky scenes, do yourself a favour and watch it. The scenes the movie is best known for do NOT represent the entire movie. Yes, it can be pretty damn funny, but it's not just a "ha ha" comedy if that's what worries you. It's much more than that.

Also, I watched the film on the anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, which wasn't planned, but certainly seems very appropriate.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2265 on: 20 Apr 2020, 14:12 »

There was a lot of Jojo Rabbit that I thought was great. Especially at the start and the scene with the Gestapo.

But I expected more of it. I don't really know what. I'm also not sure whether the world needs a Lovely Nazi character right now.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2266 on: 20 Apr 2020, 15:39 »

Is it weird to say that I'm not sure what more you expected from it either, but actually I'm not surprised to hear that you expected more from it?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2267 on: 20 Apr 2020, 21:24 »

I caught up on "Jojo Rabbit". It's an amazing movie, and if you know it only by reputation and from trailers/wacky scenes, do yourself a favour and watch it. The scenes the movie is best known for do NOT represent the entire movie. Yes, it can be pretty damn funny, but it's not just a "ha ha" comedy if that's what worries you. It's much more than that.

Also, I watched the film on the anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, which wasn't planned, but certainly seems very appropriate.

I especially loved the slow Oh Fuck moment when he runs into the shoes in the square

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2268 on: 24 Apr 2020, 19:17 »

I just watched "The Little Prince" on Netflix. How did this fly under the radar? I never read the book. But from what I can piece together, this isn't intrinsically an adaptation of the book, the book takes center stage and plays an integral part of the story while also being the story, but the story revolves around a little girl whose eccentric neighbor tells her the story. Its a very complex and yet engaging story. I can't get into too much detail without spoilers so sorry if that comes off as cryptic, but its a really good movie. Its about growing up and what that means and what can get left behind. Bring tissues.

The voice talent is great, with some amazing performances by Jeff Bridges, Paul Rudd, and the voice actress of the little girl (Mackenzie Foy) was enchanting.

Gyrre

« Reply #2269 on: 26 Apr 2020, 21:52 »

Finally made myself watch Avengers: Endgame.

Some bits were goodish, most meh, and some parts I rather didn't like.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2270 on: 27 Apr 2020, 02:18 »

What didn't you like? I can see many criticisms that you could level at it but I mostly am not bothered by them.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2271 on: 27 Apr 2020, 06:54 »

Secret Life of Pets 2
Not a patch on the original, seemed a bit slap-dash

Planet of the Humans
A sobering, depressing documentary (produced by Michaee Moore) about how the 'Green Industry' in the US isn't any such thing.

A L I E N
Because it was A L I E N day and it's my favouritest movie of all time!  :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2272 on: 28 Apr 2020, 16:12 »

What didn't you like? I can see many criticisms that you could level at it but I mostly am not bothered by them.

I've asked a friend about this. His response was basically the whole thing felt like an asspull. (Everything after this is from him) You knew that Disney would not allow their main MCU cashcows (Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-man and Black Panther) stay dead, you knew that there was no risk and that the heroes would win the day.

Compare that to Infinity War, where despite everything, the heroes lost and they lost hard. You were surprised to see Bucky and Sam turn to dust. You were shocked to see Black Panther get dusted in such a casual manner. You choked watching Peter Parker become this scared kid who is literally falling apart. Because you knew that they had failed. The Avengers hadn't just lost, they failed and everyone paid the price. Which makes sense, considering that Thanos was the protagonist of the film. Then you have Endgame, where Thanos is killed before the end of the first act, so they end up fighting a younger Thanos from 2014, which kinda makes it seem like he's a bigger threat except you realise that Thanos is near immortal and so a couple of years doesn't mean a thing.

But there were no stakes in Endgame, because its the end of the saga and Disney is raking in billions from the films alone and they're not going to let things end on a sad note (Tony and Natasha's deaths and Steve's retirement notwithstanding). The day is saved, (mostly) everyone lives and we're back to the status quo. Which was basically a corporate wet dream.

(I should note that by this stage of the rant, I had zoned out and let him ramble on while I went and had a cup of tea)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2273 on: 30 Apr 2020, 15:18 »

Finished "Gravity Falls" and it is phenomenal! Worth watching no matter how old you are. Honestly, certain episodes seem to be too scary for kids, especially near the end when an eldritch horror takes center stage. I wont spoil it but the premise is pretty cool. Twins Dipper and his sister Mabel are dropped off for the summer at their great uncle (Grunkle) Stan's tourist trap, The Mystery Shack, in Gravity Falls Oregon. While working at the Mystery Shack, Dipper comes across a secret journal detailing all the strange creatures and phenomena that occurs in Gravity Falls. Dipper's summer long quest is to find the person who wrote the journal, Mabel's is to make some great summer friends and to have a summer romance. The mystery twins fall into some crazy adventures that all lead to secrets to finding out what is happening in Gravity Falls and what happened to the author of the journal. It has everything, zombies, UFOs, ghosts, cryptids, mythical creatures, secret government coverups, the works! Totally check this out if you have Disney + (cough*cough*or*other*means*cough*cough).

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2274 on: 30 Apr 2020, 19:30 »

I watched the first ep of Gravity Falls and I like it, but I still have Star vs the Forces of Evil and Milo Murphy's Law to work thru.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2275 on: 30 Apr 2020, 21:47 »

That reminds me, I gotta finish Phineas and Ferb once and for all before I move on to Milo Murphy

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2276 on: 01 May 2020, 08:10 »

That reminds me, I gotta finish Phineas and Ferb once and for all before I move on to Milo Murphy
Oh yeah P&F too, I haven't finished. And I recently got access to Netflix so I can watch the new She-ra show too (lately I've been binging season 4 of Lucifer)
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

« Reply #2277 on: 01 May 2020, 18:19 »

Just watched Terminator: Dark Fate

I actually liked it. I really like some of the things they say, and the things they don't say directly.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2279 on: 06 May 2020, 06:34 »

That was excellent!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2280 on: 09 May 2020, 03:04 »

Finally watched this fairy tale for grown-ups. It is beautiful but does not shy away from the bleakness of its material.

Autistic Vulture

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2281 on: 09 May 2020, 12:13 »

Finally watched this fairy tale for grown-ups. It is beautiful but does not shy away from the bleakness of its material.

It's in my 15 favourite films that I've ever watched.  :-)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2282 on: 14 May 2020, 03:37 »

I just finished watching Babylon Berlin Season 3.

And now I've started watching:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2283 on: 14 May 2020, 05:35 »

MMMMMMMM?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

dutchrvl

« Reply #2284 on: 14 May 2020, 05:47 »

Finally watched the Godfather. Yes, I am aware how crazy it sounds that I had never seen it in its totality before (despite seeing small bits and pieces here and there).

Obviously it's great, and it's nice to finally in hindsight get a lot of cultural references taken from it :)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2285 on: 14 May 2020, 05:57 »

It took me ages to watch The Godfather. A remarkable film. I'm glad in a way that it took me so long because I don't think I would have appreciated it if I'd watched it earlier.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2286 on: 16 May 2020, 11:43 »

MMMMMMMM?
theodd1sout by chance?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2287 on: 16 May 2020, 17:40 »

I still haven't seen it. People used to pay me to review shit, can you believe it?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2288 on: 17 May 2020, 15:30 »

They did a good job of making it look like a 70s film.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #2289 on: 17 May 2020, 18:32 »

I need to watch that one.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2290 on: 18 May 2020, 06:02 »

And now I've finally seen the Godfather II (no surprise there). Another remarkable film, I have to let it sink in a little to really appreciate it to its fullest I think. My first thoughts are that, despite its greatness, for me it doesn't reach quite the heights of the first one, but I may feel different later on.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2291 on: 18 May 2020, 06:06 »

It's not often that a sequel manages to hold up to its predecessor in quality, and this is particularly striking when you consider the quality of part I.

oddtail

« Reply #2292 on: 18 May 2020, 07:20 »

I honestly wish I wasn't missing whatever people see in Godfather. I am firmly in the (very small) "I don't get it" camp. The movie is well-made technically, to the extent that I understand the art of filmmaking, but it utterly fails to move me on any level. I find it tedious and occasionally outright boring.

I once thought maybe I had to rewatch it without all the hype and I'd appreciate it more, or maybe I had to watch it a bit older (first time I saw it I was in my mid-teens, I think). But I've seen the film three times now, and I still don't understand what the near-universal praise from critics and audiences alike is about.

(I did like the book, for what it's worth. It's nothing special, but it's a good read.)

Autistic Vulture

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2293 on: 18 May 2020, 08:52 »

I honestly wish I wasn't missing whatever people see in Godfather. I am firmly in the (very small) "I don't get it" camp. The movie is well-made technically, to the extent that I understand the art of filmmaking, but it utterly fails to move me on any level. I find it tedious and occasionally outright boring.

You're not alone.  Both movies fall into my "very good, but not amazing" category, except that I found the last act of II absolutely incredible.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2294 on: 18 May 2020, 15:20 »

I honestly wish I wasn't missing whatever people see in Godfather. I am firmly in the (very small) "I don't get it" camp. The movie is well-made technically, to the extent that I understand the art of filmmaking, but it utterly fails to move me on any level.

I can definitely appreciate that.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2295 on: 19 May 2020, 20:08 »

I think what made the Godfather good/great was that it is an immersive story, for me at least. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 movies list though, and re-watching it is a commitment. I must admit I did not see it in the theatrical order though. I first saw it as a cut of the films that put everything in chronological order. So for me The series started with godfather 2 flashbacks, in order, then moved into godfather 1, and then godfather 2 modern times scenes in order, then 3.

I just watched Cromwell and it was an amazing film. I must admit that this era of history is one of my few blind spots and my knowledge is cursory at best, so I would defer to others on this forum that may be more familiar with the period on their take of the movie. I will say it was a great film, and it was refreshing to see a war film with the troops staying in formation as opposed to pairing off in a myriad of duels as is common in movies. Seeing tactics and strategy of the era was also wonderful, and the political intrigue was great. I loved the production. Even the costumes were thematic (though probably historically accurate) when we see the first battle where the Kings troops (cavaliers?) in their splendid red and white fight the rabble peasant rebels (roundheads) dressed in browns and dirty neutral colors. Then when Cromwell trains an army in Cambridge we see them adopt proper uniforms to show they are not some rabble but a professional army.

I do have a weird question regarding the Cromwell uniforms. Maybe its just the lighting or the way it was filmed, but the uniforms seemed to be black and yellow in a hornet/bee fashion, and some of the sashes worn seemed yellow too. However there were sashes and hat banners (I think that is the correct term) that appeared orange. Where they sometimes orange or is it just a trick of the film/lighting?

Has anyone seen this film and can chime in on the historical accuracy? Mine is very lacking but it was very interesting. Was the trial at the end illegal? It kind of seemed that way, especially the sentencing.

All in all it was enjoyable.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2296 on: 20 May 2020, 10:38 »

Is this the one with Alec Guinness as Charles I?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2297 on: 20 May 2020, 19:33 »

Yes! He has this strange stammer that comes up every now and then. I am not sure if its something Charles I did but it was a noticeable choice Alec did for the role.

Doing some research, I have found the movie to be like a 1970s Braveheart. Visually/productively stunning with a fun plot, great action scenes, and an emphasis on freedom, but incredibly inaccurate other than the time, setting, and names of people (for example in Braveheart, The Battle of Stirling Bridge did not have a bridge). I find it fascinating that all of the war parts they swapped Cromwell and Farifax's historical position. In the movie Cromwell is made commander-in-chief of the New Model Army and Fairfax was a sub-commander/cavalry officer, but in reality it was the reverse. In the movie there's a montage of Cromwell training the troops.  In reality, he built a cavalry unit only because he saw how decisive the Royalist cavalry was in battle and felt that having a strong cavalry will win the war. Its sad that they did Fairfax dirty like that in the movie, and I have a small soft spot for him because I lived in Fairfax Va for 7 years.

The Wikipedia article below of the movie has a list of all the inaccuracies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_(film)

Also I did find out that those were indeed orange sashes! And the trial was a mockery so it probably wasn't legal.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2298 on: 21 May 2020, 03:46 »

Having an Irish partner as I now do, I fear if I were to have that movie in the house I would find it shredded and burnt in one of the litter boxes.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2299 on: 21 May 2020, 05:09 »

I can see that, especially because in the movie he "retires" at one point, but historically its when he lead troops against the Confederation of Ireland. Lets just say the English was less than civil...
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53   Go Up