THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488290 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2300 on: 21 May 2020, 06:07 »

Not derail from the point of the thread, but I wouldn't mind a film that showed the real Cromwell. You know, the one who ordered the massacre of civilians at the Siege of Drogheda, the mass exportation of "indentured servants" to the Caribbean and left the country in such a state that hundreds of thousands of people died from a bout of famine and bubonic plague. At the end, they could show Cromwell passing away, being buried and then have the Royalists dig up his body, hang it in chains and then behead it.

I'd definitely watch....the ending.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2301 on: 22 May 2020, 02:40 »

Not derail from the point of the thread, but I wouldn't mind a film that showed the real Cromwell. You know, the one who ordered the massacre of civilians at the Siege of Drogheda, the mass exportation of "indentured servants" to the Caribbean and left the country in such a state that hundreds of thousands of people died from a bout of famine and bubonic plague. At the end, they could show Cromwell passing away, being buried and then have the Royalists dig up his body, hang it in chains and then behead it.

I'd definitely watch....the ending.

I sent that post to my partner and they said they 'loved everything about it.'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2302 on: 23 May 2020, 04:43 »

It's kind of ridiculous that they managed to pull this off in their first feature film.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #2303 on: 23 May 2020, 12:34 »

Battle Royale, it's like Hunger Games only Japanese
Yeah, I'm resurrecting an 8-year-old post. Battle Royale predates The Hunger Games by a while, and I like to say "they're exactly the same, except that they're completely different." I wrote an essay on the similarities and differences some years ago and I might repost it here some time.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

dutchrvl

« Reply #2304 on: 26 May 2020, 12:31 »

Battle Royale, it's like Hunger Games only Japanese
Yeah, I'm resurrecting an 8-year-old post. Battle Royale predates The Hunger Games by a while, and I like to say "they're exactly the same, except that they're completely different." I wrote an essay on the similarities and differences some years ago and I might repost it here some time.

I'd be interested to read it. Wonder if you'd be willing to comment on BattleRoyale vs. The Condemned as well, although I'd have to warn you that the Condemned is a pretty crap movie.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2305 on: 26 May 2020, 13:21 »

I'd be interested to read it. Wonder if you'd be willing to comment on BattleRoyale vs. The Condemned as well, although I'd have to warn you that the Condemned is a pretty crap movie.
The Condemned is unknown to me.
Also my BR/HG essay focuses on the novels and disregards the films.
stePH
--

dutchrvl

« Reply #2306 on: 26 May 2020, 14:55 »

The Condemned is unknown to me.
Also my BR/HG essay focuses on the novels and disregards the films.

Ah, in that case, please disregard my post, I assumed you were talking about the movies. The Condemned is just a cinematic re-imagining of Battle Royale without a book-form, AFAIK

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2307 on: 26 May 2020, 15:42 »

Better.

Condemned is a WWE film starring Stone Cold Steve Austin and Vinnie Jones.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2308 on: 27 May 2020, 14:52 »

I'd be interested to read it. .

Posted.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 16:18 by Theta9 »
stePH
--

oddtail

« Reply #2309 on: 17 Jun 2020, 07:01 »

I rewatched both Guy Ritchie "Sherlock Holmes" movies. They hold up really well, I think. I can't wait for the third one that's supposedly coming out in December 2021.

I also finally got around to watching the 1999 "Mummy" movie. It's pretty good, actually. It's wonderfully stupid, the actors are appropriately hammy for this kind of story, and the CGI ranges from passable to REALLY bad, but the bad parts actually enhance the "B-movie" feel. I was entertained through most of the film, even though I don't think I'll be rewatching it anytime soon.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2310 on: 17 Jun 2020, 10:37 »

Brendan Fraser will always be my choice to hunt mummies.

Actually when that god-awful Mummy film with Tom Cruise came out, there was a joke going around that Tom Cruise's character was going to find a sarcophagus, open it to reveal a perfectly preserved Brendan Fraser who was going to punch him out, set up and tell the audience a "real story about the Mummy" and just reshow the Mummy (1999)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2311 on: 12 Jul 2020, 20:14 »

Real talk, I fucking love The Fifth Element. I was just scrolling around youtube and came across a couple of videos covering it (Honest Trailers and 100 Reasons to watch) and it just reminded me how much I just fucking love this movie. If you haven't seen it yet go watch the movie (and don't watch the linked videos if you haven't seen the movie yet either). Is it a perfect movie? Nope! Does it have its flaws? Yup. But its just a fun stylistic movie.

Honest Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZQnYUsmyc

100 Reasons to Watch The Fifth Element RIGHT NOW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boKLPT960sI
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2312 on: 12 Jul 2020, 20:56 »

Leeloo Dallas Mooltipass!
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2313 on: 13 Jul 2020, 00:01 »

Super green.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2314 on: 13 Jul 2020, 05:05 »

I just watched Palm Springs and I definitely recommend it. It's like a modern day Groundhog Day

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2315 on: 13 Jul 2020, 06:54 »

*sigh* another time loop film? Do I really want to watch yet another time loop film?
*watches trailer*

OKAY FINE

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2316 on: 13 Jul 2020, 15:54 »

(click to show/hide)

dutchrvl

« Reply #2317 on: 14 Jul 2020, 07:35 »

Saw 'The Old Guard' on Netflix a couple days ago. I liked it quite a bit! While it is a bit formulaic here and there, there are enough interesting deviations from what you'd expect to keep it interesting, the action scenes are generally welldone, and it's a nice international cast. There has been some criticism of the soundtrack but I actually like it.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2020, 07:42 by dutchrvl »

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2318 on: 14 Jul 2020, 08:15 »

Real talk, I fucking love The Fifth Element. I was just scrolling around youtube and came across a couple of videos covering it (Honest Trailers and 100 Reasons to watch) and it just reminded me how much I just fucking love this movie. If you haven't seen it yet go watch the movie (and don't watch the linked videos if you haven't seen the movie yet either). Is it a perfect movie? Nope! Does it have its flaws? Yup. But its just a fun stylistic movie.
Still my favorite movie of all time.

[kanye]
OF ALL TIME!
[/kanye]
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2319 on: 14 Jul 2020, 09:16 »

Super green.
Most of the time I can't stand Chris Tucker, but he was perfect in that role. I can't imagine anyone better to play Ruby Rhod.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2320 on: 14 Jul 2020, 09:57 »

Super green.
Most of the time I can't stand Chris Tucker, but he was perfect in that role. I can't imagine anyone better to play Ruby Rhod.

Prince, but yeah Tucker killed it!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2321 on: 14 Jul 2020, 16:35 »

Chris Tucker stole the film, let's face it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2322 on: 15 Jul 2020, 02:13 »

Chris Tucker is a weird guy.

He hardly ever makes movies. He has only made like eight. But three of them are the Rush Hour franchise. What?

oddtail

« Reply #2323 on: 15 Jul 2020, 09:05 »

I watched... no, I *endured* "Mallrats".

I liked "Clerks" a lot. "Mallrats" is a chore. It's not funny. The characters are neither likeable nor engaging. I'm sure it was new and fresh at the time, but I'll say it - the only generation that could possibly enjoy the movie en masse are Gen-Xers. The movie is of its time, in the worst possible way.

It's honestly kinda shit.

The movie is casually bigoted, sexist, extremely obnoxious, and all-around cringeworthy, especially watched in 2020.

I could forgive all that if the movie was funny. But any edge the movie may've once had has really dulled in the past two-decades-and-change.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2324 on: 15 Jul 2020, 09:56 »

I agree.

I love Clerks, Mallrats is garbage. However Mallrats is only now a cult hit having been loathed at the time, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2325 on: 15 Jul 2020, 21:18 »

My memory may be hazy, but I'm pretty sure gen-xers did not enjoy Mallrats "en masse." I doubt it's ever had anything but a relatively small cult following.

Oh, I can't comment on the film itself. I haven't seen it. But I'm happy to take your word for it. It's not a film that's ever been on my must-watch list.

Source: I am gen-x supposedly
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2020, 21:23 by Tova »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2326 on: 15 Jul 2020, 22:19 »

I saw Mallrats when it came out on DVD.  It sucked even then.  Kevin Smith is very much a hit or miss director.  Chasing Amy and Dogma were both good, although the former hasn't aged very well.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

oddtail

« Reply #2327 on: 16 Jul 2020, 02:31 »

Dogma, as the kids today say, slaps.

Chasing Amy I'm much more ambivalent about, although I don't remember it very well at all.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2328 on: 16 Jul 2020, 07:49 »

I used to strongly dislike Dogma. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Chasing Amy is okay. Primarily let down by toxic Masculinity and the lead actress's grating speaking voice.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2329 on: 16 Jul 2020, 07:54 »

I love Chasing Amy. Whatever its other problems, to me it's about accepting that your romantic partner has a history that precedes their being with you (a lesson that Holden fails to learn until it's too late.)
stePH
--

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2330 on: 16 Jul 2020, 08:33 »

And watching it now is certainly different (and more cringeworthy) than when it came out.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2331 on: 16 Jul 2020, 12:12 »

The whole dude manages to score with the hot lesbian trope definitely grates on me. Whatever positive message you could pull from the movie is overpowered by that and the constant homophobic language. The message a movie is trying to convey does not and never will justify poor execution. I am definitely not the target audience, admittedly. Can't say I am a fan of any of his work that I have seen.

On another note, watched "The Old Guard".  As a fan of the comic and of Charlize Theron, I liked it. It was a mostly faithful adaptation of the book, with some minor tweaks. Some were good, some not so much, but overall it was enjoyable. Watching Theron kick ass and slice dudes up with a labrys was definitely fun.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2020, 20:37 by sitnspin »
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2332 on: 16 Jul 2020, 15:52 »

In the '90s, I'm pretty sure that I knew as many lesbian/gay identified people who were actually bisexual as straight identified people who were.  I do think that the film was quite guilty of bi-erasure.  And the Kinsey Scale, whilst flawed, at least brought forth the idea that it is all a spectrum.  Of course, getting into Kevin Smith's myopia about, well, very many things would be demanding of more mental resources than I have right now.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2333 on: 16 Jul 2020, 16:12 »

I never saw Chasing Amy but I remember liking Mallrats circa 2002. I tried re-watching it a few years ago with my girlfriend (now wife) and I was pretty embarrassed to have liked it. Reflecting back on why I liked it, I think it was just because at the time "Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back" just came out and my friends and I liked their over-the-top juvenile jokes in it and Dogma. I probably liked Mallrats just beacuse they were in it and they being an homage to Wiley Coyote/Roadrunner. The only other part I found amusing was the big guy trying to see the sailboat (oddly he and Jason Lee would be in a TV show together in the mid 2000s) but that's more of a classic Sisyphean joke. Everything regarding the actual plot is just a mess.

(click to show/hide)

Its just not a good movie, and not in a "didn't age well" kind of way. Its like a made-for-TV movie where they added "raunchy" scenes/dialogue and somehow got green lit to be an actual movie.

oddtail

« Reply #2334 on: 17 Jul 2020, 02:09 »

@LeeC: I agree Stan Lee is wasted in the movie, but it's still nice to see him. Probably the highlight of the movie.

Although it is extremely funny in hindsight to hear the co-creator of Spider-Man pine about a lost love and say that he would give it all up just for one more day with her.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2335 on: 17 Jul 2020, 06:24 »

I dunno who mentioned it... (TBH it might have been somewhere else)

But someone, somewhere, mentioned "Climax" - a French movie about dancers who drink spiked sangria and the result of it?

Dear god it's awful
First 35 minutes is a showcase of them all dancing in that "new vogue" way. (Impressive in parts, but oveprlayed)
Virtually every character is sexually ambiguous - and virtually every character has noting to talk about BUT sex...
Then, mid way through the movie... FILM CREDITS
(In huge, neon colours flashing and shifting all over the screen.)

Then the acid kicks in, and the film falls to bits.
Dull, tedious, and the last 20 minutes (felt like an hour) shot under red lights, low lumen, with the camera upside down.

Do yourselves a favour... avoid.
I love french film, but this was mindless, pretentious twaddle.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage

cybersmurf

« Reply #2337 on: 20 Jul 2020, 03:28 »

Scrolling through, kinda necroing the Fifth Element discussion:
It's a really good movie, but IMHO it's starting to age a little. Which is fine, for a 23 year old movie. Dang, '97. And yeah, Chris Tucker just fit in so smoothly, probably because the whole thing was just over the top.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2339 on: 24 Jul 2020, 14:36 »

Watched John Wick and John Wick 2 over the past week, and immediately they became two of my favourite movies.

Very reminiscent of The Raid movies, which are two more of my favourites -right down to the first one basically being a 90-minute action scene, and the second one actually being a movie.

I cannot express to you how pitch perfect the entire thing is for me.  Beautiful cinematography, and of Keanu Reeves, who has suddenly become one of my biggest celebrity crushes  :psyduck: his hair is shorter in the second one, which is sad. He is, to reference a meme, breathtaking.

And so is the violence. Not quite as truly bone-crunchingly horrendous as the Raid movies for the most part, but balletic and beautiful in the way it is choreographed and shot. None of this hyperactive Westernised editing here, it's all long, slow takes so you get to see just how impressive what everyone is doing is.

The cast! The casts of both! It's got Laurence Fishburne in the second one! Two different people from The Wire! The person who's First Officer in the Orville whose name I don't know and can't be bothered to look up! Ian McShane! Fucking COMMON is in the second one, are you for real???

The movie could do with a few more non-dick-havers in it with actual dialogue. The second one does a lot better with this, at least, although maybe I shouldn't be using the word 'dialogue' in that example.

They're just great, great movies. I'm watching the third one soon, and then buying the goddamn Blu-Rays.

cybersmurf

« Reply #2340 on: 25 Jul 2020, 03:50 »

I believe, you're in for a treat concerning the third one. Visually crafted like the ones before, and one hell of an action scene crafted into a movie held together by a sensible plot. Mostly. Although one of the opponents seems a bit over the top, but still works.

The John Wick movies are quite something just to look at.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

oddtail

« Reply #2341 on: 25 Jul 2020, 04:56 »

John Wick is pretty amazing, and I immediately associated it with The Raid as well.

John Wick 2 lost me pretty quickly and I stopped watching about halfway through (which I rarely do. I tend to watch movies in their entirety even when they don't appeal to me). I couldn't sit through it, I have no idea why. It feels... non-genuine. I tried to pinpoint why, but never quite managed to. And the movie seems to be pretty well-loved by people who enjoyed the first one, so I... think I'm unusual in my opinion.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2342 on: 25 Jul 2020, 05:49 »

You certainly are in a minority there - reviews are actually better for the second one at least.

oddtail

« Reply #2343 on: 25 Jul 2020, 11:12 »

I rewatched the first "Beverly Hills Cop" recently. I really enjoyed the movie the past few times I watched it. It felt funny, charming, breezy.

I'm not gonna lie. To me, it doesn't anymore. I can't treat this story non-seriously enough, anymore. Things that seemed funny or cool at a more innocent time (or to be more accurate, a time where a lot of how US police works was not known to me, so I *thought* I was living in a more innocent time) just seem uncomfortable.

It's still a good movie, but I don't think I can watch it anymore. Not now, possibly not in the years to come. It's not the movie's fault, but... yeah. "the rules we're supposed to follow as policemen hold us back from Getting Things Done" just doesn't register as a heroic beat in a way that it once may have, for me. And that's just one example of how my perspective on the film has shifted.

I do wonder how the recent few years have impacted my view of *any* fictional media involving cops. For example, will I be able to stomach the next season of Brooklyn 99, a show I really like? Time will tell, although the writers of that series do hint at systemic issues with police as much as the comedic tone allows, so I have some faith in them. Although I do sort of wish - based on a Tweet I read somewhere - the next season had the same characters working in a post office (or whatever), with no explanation or continuity with the previous seasons. This might actually be the best way to preserve some of the core premise. This won't happen of course, but still.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2020, 11:24 by oddtail »

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2344 on: 25 Jul 2020, 12:47 »

I've never been able to bring myself to watch Brooklyn 99, despite the positive queer content, precisely because I refuse to watch anything that portrays cops as good guys. Every action movie about cops is entirely based on the premise that the protagonists are put upon by the system and are actually doing the right thing by breaking the rules and violating people's rights. I will not support that shit.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2345 on: 25 Jul 2020, 13:21 »

I finally watched Parasite and boy was that one heck of a trip. I did not expect how it would play out

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2346 on: 25 Jul 2020, 14:31 »

Every action movie about cops is entirely based on the premise that the protagonists are put upon by the system and are actually doing the right thing by breaking the rules and violating people's rights. I will not support that shit.

I agree, with the exception of Hot Fuzz. The whole premise is to follow the rules and do all the paperwork thoroughly and accurately. Its honestly the only cop movie I still enjoy (granted I was never big into cop dramas/action movies).

(click to show/hide)

They even watch a few "buddy cop" movies in the movie and Angel points out the absurdity of it all. Danny just likes them because they're cool.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2347 on: 25 Jul 2020, 14:56 »

It still falls under the category of portraying cops as good guys.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2348 on: 25 Jul 2020, 15:10 »

Oh I wasn't arguing that, just the part I highlighted about them breaking the rules/laws to save the day. Its such a staple of cop movies, with the exception of Hot Fuzz, and its just wrong and makes it uninteresting.

Edit: I'm okay with cops being portrayed as good guys so long as they actually are and not the "ends justify the means" blow up a city block bullshittery that plagues those type of movies.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2349 on: 25 Jul 2020, 17:18 »

On the flip side, I do like comedy PI movies and TV shows. They're just fantasy though. Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Nice Guys (more of a comedy noir), and Psyche. Its mostly due to likeable characters or a fun mystery rather than anything meant to resemble what authority figures should be/act.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 53   Go Up