THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488224 times)

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2350 on: 26 Jul 2020, 03:05 »

Yeah, I am not flat-out against any portrayal of cops as good guys, but Hot Fuzz goes the extra mile to make the portayal less problematic than 99% of other movies/shows.

Hot Fuzz shows what cops *should* be. The heroic, badass main character explicitly denounces violence as the first go-to option. He thinks procedure is there for a reason. And he makes an important distinction (again, explicitly so) that most movie cops don't - he's there to help people and to be useful. *Not* to punish criminals.

Sure, the movie devolves into action movie cop nonsense, but character motivations *do*, in my mind, colour what actions they take. Nicholas Angel doesn't just *say* he's not interested in "proper action and shit". He actually follows through. Look how many scenes in the movie there are when he just talks to people, asks them to follow the rules and explains his actions. Now think how many movie policemen *ever* talk to civilians or engage with them outside of a murder investigation or whatever. I can't offhand think of any examples, to be honest.

I think that makes "Hot Fuzz" a unique movie in a way.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2351 on: 26 Jul 2020, 07:20 »

Also Hot Fuzz is a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie, and I'll forgive much when those two are involved.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2352 on: 26 Jul 2020, 07:59 »

Also Hot Fuzz does make sure its villains are actually worse, having murdered people for petty reasons ranging from underage drinking to simple being a bad actor. All for the sake of a, in the end, meaningless title for "Best Village".

oddtail

« Reply #2353 on: 27 Jul 2020, 01:27 »

I actually don't think it's, by itself, a good thing in a movie.

It's actually easy to make someone heroic by making whoever they oppose monstrous. There are other cop movies that do that, ones I'm decidedly less comfortable with how they portray police work.

(it does work in "Hot Fuzz", but it's just a part of the puzzle, and one I don't think is among the more significant ones. I rate it below "Nicholas Angel dual-wields pens to fill in paperwork and that's badass".)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2354 on: 27 Jul 2020, 01:39 »

Most cop movies rely on making the antagonist a monster in order to justify the protagonist breaking rules and violating rights. There is nothing unique about that, it is essential to the genre.

The main thing that makes Hot Fuzz more palatable than most is that it is a parody. It is deliberately over the top and cartoonish. It still borders on copaganda, like most cop action movies do, but less egregiously since the whole thing is decidedly tongue-in-cheek and the fact that it never glorifies the protagonists violating their oaths of office or citizen's rights.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2355 on: 27 Jul 2020, 14:48 »

This discussion has got me thinking about other cop movies. We've mostly talked about action\dramas. What are your feeling about comedies (i.e. Police Academy, Super Troopers, etc) and scifi (RoboCop, Dredd, etc)?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2356 on: 27 Jul 2020, 14:58 »

IIRC, the character of Judge Dredd was more of a deconstruction.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2357 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:39 »

This discussion has got me thinking about other cop movies. We've mostly talked about action\dramas. What are your feeling about comedies (i.e. Police Academy, Super Troopers, etc) and scifi (RoboCop, Dredd, etc)?
Wait, Hot Fuzz isn't a comedy?
stePH
--

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2358 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:44 »

RoboCop and Dredd still glorify police violence. While they do portray the system as corrupt, they never condemn the violence of the protagonist.

Police Academy and other comedies white wash police. Even shows/films that don't glorify rights violations still do propaganda, just from a different angle. Instead of justifying bad behaviour, they cover it up and make cops seem harmless.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2020, 10:49 by sitnspin »
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2359 on: 03 Aug 2020, 16:15 »

Knock Down the House.

Free on Youtube right now.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2360 on: 04 Aug 2020, 10:44 »

I watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm for the first time since I was little, oddly enough on Netflix, and it still holds up. I've also read the comic it's based on since then, Batman: Year 2

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2361 on: 04 Aug 2020, 12:18 »

Phantasm for me is in the discussion for best Batman movie. Not just animated. Just best.

The DCAU understood these characters more than even a lot of comic writers - shame they all tend to create garbage when left to their own devices.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2362 on: 04 Aug 2020, 13:26 »

Phantasm for me is in the discussion for best Batman movie. Not just animated. Just best.

The DCAU understood these characters more than even a lot of comic writers - shame they all tend to create garbage when left to their own devices.

I'd argue its Lego Batman Movie

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2363 on: 04 Aug 2020, 14:09 »

You are absolutely right. The Lego Batman movie is a masterpiece - and that version of the Joker genuinely to me channels that character's spirit more than almost any other I have ever seen.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2364 on: 04 Aug 2020, 20:43 »

Lego Batman is the best Batman.

But Mark Hamill is the best Joker.
stePH
--

oddtail

« Reply #2365 on: 07 Aug 2020, 09:29 »

I finally got around to watching "Matrix Reloaded".

When I first watched the first "Matrix", I thought it was WAY overrated. I rewatched it in late 2010s, and I warmed up considerably to it. On rewatch, I thought the movie is pretty damn brilliant, bordering on genius. It, I feel, only gets better with age.

I never bothered to watch the sequels until now. And one thing that strikes me about "Reloaded" is - it has a LOT of amazing ideas. Characters, plot points, worldbuilding that could fill a TV series or two. And probably should. Because it kinda fails as a movie on more than one level.

The movie feels like two films stapled together. The parts in/about Zion are badly written, disconnected with the scenes in the Matrix, and overall fail to engage because the viewer doesn't know any of those people. The first half hour is boring, the lines are written and acted out... very weird, and it's generally off-putting.

I honestly think the story, if told in summary point-by-point, is not bad in its premise. It's the execution that suffers.

The biggest thing holding the movie back is that it feels the need to be a direct sequel to "The Matrix". The film should follow different characters, with different perspectives, be more focused on things happening to people living in the Matrix. "Animatrix" has shown that it can be done, and done well.

Overall, a fascinating experience, but the movie is just not that good. It has great scenes, great characters (Merovingian is a hoot), amazingly creative concepts. I'd honestly love to see it remade - "flawed, but with promising concepts" is the perfect remake fodder as movies go.

And since I know how the trilogy ends in broad strokes (I haven't seen "Revolutions", obviously, but I know the general plot), that's one more mark against "Reloaded". It's sloppy and falls apart, overall.

Honestly a shame.

oddtail

« Reply #2366 on: 11 Aug 2020, 02:21 »

I watched "The Usual Suspects". It's a good movie, with a decent twist that's also really well-executed. I love some of the characters and how they were played.

But frankly, I fail to see what everyone was so excited about back in 1995.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2367 on: 11 Aug 2020, 04:08 »

I finally saw John Wick 3.

I wasn't sure what the franchise had left to do really, but the answer is 'justify more awesome fights' which it certainly did.

Not quite as good as either of the prior two, fun in a fan-service kind of way in places, possibly a little bit too knowingly camp in one or two bits of the script.

Apart from anything else it had two dudes from the Raid movies in it, and I am so hyped for that shit.

Roll on number 4. Let's see how that one is before I get excited for 5, although I know they're being shot back to back.

oddtail

« Reply #2368 on: 14 Aug 2020, 16:06 »

I watched "Being John Malkovich".

I have a very low tolerance for stories where every single character is an utter piece of shit, and that are extremely bleak.

So I think it should count for a lot that I really liked this movie. At first, I didn't think I would, but it's honestly brilliant. It works on pretty much every level I can think of.

One thing that surreal stories often get wrong - when a movie has a weird premise or a weird central element, I think it's important *not* to go out of your way to make everything weird. Surreal stories need clarity. "Being John Malkovich" nails it, because the premise is very weird, but the plot is actually really straightforward and fairly simple. That makes you enjoy the weirdness rather than wonder what is going on every single second.

I do wonder why the movie gets called a "fantasy comedy", though. I don't think the movie as a whole funny (it does have funny *moments*). It's more akin to a horror movie with funny moments.

Anyway, comedy or not, I'm surprised how much I loved it.

EDIT: (OK, *one* character is not a piece of shit, obviously.)
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2020, 16:12 by oddtail »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2369 on: 14 Aug 2020, 16:11 »

Don't get me started on the use of 'comedy' in marketing for things that I feel like have no fucking business calling themselves comedies.

If anybody in this thread has seen Jeff, Who Lives at Home and can point me to more than half as dozen actual gags in that movie, which was marketed as a comedy, then I'll be amazed.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2370 on: 15 Aug 2020, 07:52 »

Don't get me started on the use of 'comedy' in marketing for things that I feel like have no fucking business calling themselves comedies.

If anybody in this thread has seen Jeff, Who Lives at Home and can point me to more than half as dozen actual gags in that movie, which was marketed as a comedy, then I'll be amazed.
I failed to laugh even once watching Napoleon Dynamite which coworkers assured me was hilarious.
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2371 on: 15 Aug 2020, 07:54 »

I watched "Being John Malkovich".

I have a very low tolerance for stories where every single character is an utter piece of shit, and that are extremely bleak.

So I think it should count for a lot that I really liked this movie. At first, I didn't think I would, but it's honestly brilliant. It works on pretty much every level I can think of.
I concur with your assessment. It was a really good movie that I don't think I could watch a second time because that ending hurt.
stePH
--

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2372 on: 15 Aug 2020, 07:57 »

I failed to laugh even once watching Napoleon Dynamite which coworkers assured me was hilarious.

That wasn't my point.

The Twilight parody movies are dismally unfunny, but they contain numerous unfunny JOKES. Thusly they are still comedies, just bad ones.

Admittedly maybe you just wanted to take a cheap shot at Napoleon, which is the kind of thing I do all the time for my own amusement

cybersmurf

« Reply #2373 on: 15 Aug 2020, 09:27 »

When I first watched the first "Matrix", I thought it was WAY overrated. I rewatched it in late 2010s, and I warmed up considerably to it. On rewatch, I thought the movie is pretty damn brilliant, bordering on genius. It, I feel, only gets better with age.

The story maybe, technology has permeated society in a way back then nobody imagined. It feels more plausible these days. But apart from that, it's also an action flick. As an action flick it's showing its age, and feels VERY 90s, and to some people that may be off-putting.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

oddtail

« Reply #2374 on: 15 Aug 2020, 11:32 »

The story maybe, technology has permeated society in a way back then nobody imagined. It feels more plausible these days. But apart from that, it's also an action flick. As an action flick it's showing its age, and feels VERY 90s, and to some people that may be off-putting.

I completely disagree that it feels "90s". Before that, there was nothing like that in Western cinema. Nineties movies are big muscular guys shooting a lot of guns at generic bad guys, usually terrorists. It's about big chases, big explosions, big dudes. "Matrix" introduced martial arts cinema to the West, it had a completely different, slick aesthetic, it was much more focused on fight choreography than special effects (yes, it had groundbreaking effects at the time, but those were about emphasising motion and speed of people fighting, not "things go boom"), it was a huge hit in part *because* it was so unlike any movies of the past decade, at least in the Western mainstream.

Whether it's dated is debatable - I don't think it is - but it's a movie that effectively *ended* the 90s action cinema. It couldn't be less 90s if it tried, IMO. When I think of quintesentially 90s movies, I think Terminator 2, The Rock, Total Recall, Speed, Die Hard sequels. Heck, even Independence Day (which I personally loathe, but it's the most nineties film that ever ninetied) and other big "disaster movies".

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2375 on: 15 Aug 2020, 12:22 »

Admittedly maybe you just wanted to take a cheap shot at Napoleon, which is the kind of thing I do all the time for my own amusement
That's probably it; I don't think I've ever seen another "comedy" less funny than that pointless, story-bereft film. But I also couldn't tell where I was supposed to be laughing, so I also missed the jokes/gags.
stePH
--

Gyrre

« Reply #2376 on: 17 Aug 2020, 08:35 »

Watched Dogma again. It's been awhile.

The movie mostly holds up, and I can think of a fair few folks who need to watch it.
Fair warning; it's comedy and is borderline heretical (if not outright). But, it makes some good points on the subjects of organized religion and faith.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2377 on: 18 Aug 2020, 03:52 »

I just watched Booksmart. I heard it was good, but it was really good. Like I'm angry I hadn't watched it sooner. It had the right balance of comedy and drama, and to me perfectly captured the current generations dynamics

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2378 on: 18 Aug 2020, 08:16 »

I just watched Booksmart. I heard it was good, but it was really good. Like I'm angry I hadn't watched it sooner. It had the right balance of comedy and drama, and to me perfectly captured the current generations dynamics

Just watched the first 6 minutes of this on Youtube... now I must find it !!!!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2379 on: 19 Aug 2020, 04:00 »

So a few friends and I stream films on discord and Monday night, it was my turn to pick a film. So I brought out "The Lost Coast Tapes". I'm not a fan of found footage films, but we found this one to be somewhat enjoyable. The basic premise is simply: Man claims he has the corpse of a bigfoot, previously burned sceptic/documentary maker decides to go and check things out, bringing a small crew with him. Things go downhill fast. Everyone is an asshole and ends up dead, because its found footage.

But its not a bad film. There's some good lines, in particular at the beginning, the crew go to a sound-guy they know to join them. The man, African American, points out the ridiculousness of them asking him to go out into the middle of nowhere, to look at a sasquatch corpse, is just asking for him to get brutally killed. A short rant supported by his girlfriend. They remain behind and survive.

Like I said, its not a bad film, maybe enjoyable with a few drinks and friends to help you relentlessly mock it.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2380 on: 23 Aug 2020, 12:39 »

It's not a "movie" but since I don't think there's a thread for Netflix shows...

I just finished watching the final season of "3%", which is a Netflix show (in Portuguese, though it has English subtitles), about a society in which 97% of the people live in crushing poverty, while the remaining 3% live on an island offshore in luxury. Who goes to the island is determined by a test, called "The Process", which is designed to figure out who deserves to go to the island. Meanwhile, the people outside the island are divided between The Church, which preaches in favor of The Process; The Cause, which fights against The Process; and the militia, which preys on whoever they can.

(click to show/hide)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2381 on: 23 Aug 2020, 16:23 »

I've heard very good things about that one.  I just haven't watched it yet, since I rarely am simply focused on watching a film, and usually have it running on the other display.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2382 on: 05 Sep 2020, 19:27 »

I just watched two weird movies, The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot and The Little Hours

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot was sort of billed as an action movie, but for the most part Sam Elliot is in quiet repose about the things he had to do during the war and flashbacks to when he was with the woman he loved.

The Little Hours is about a group of nuns that take in a runaway and wacky shenanigans ensue. Mainly they wanna get with him/use him in witchcraft rituals. Amazing cast though, including: Allison Brie, Aubrey Plaza,Kate Miccuci, Molly Shannon, Fred Armisen, Dave Franco, John C. Reily, Nick Offerman

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2383 on: 05 Sep 2020, 19:43 »

I watched this documentary yesterday. Referred to elsewhere, but more properly referred to here.

It does lose a little momentum during the back half, but overall it is amazing and thought provoking, and includes some powerful moments. I can highly recommend it if you get the opportunity to watch it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2384 on: 25 Sep 2020, 11:35 »

So inspired by the point made by Spin earlier on, I've ended up falling down a couple of rabbit holes as far as both content and YouTube video essay.

Well, actually, I've also been on a huge jag of videos dunking on providence gospel movies, but that's unrelated.

Copaganda.

I've always been a fan of crime fiction and crime shows, and lately I developed a real taste for it after watching one called Unforgotten that I think is the only one I've seen that I would even consider suggesting Spin watching for not being Copaganda - except that simply having the police in it being good people may be enough to exclude it.

So I just keep watching cop show after cop show because I am becoming fascinated by the form, and I'm trying to find a single example of a crime TV series that doesn't eventually (or abruptly) result in the protagonists operating outside the law, with us expected to be cheering them on because in this case we know the law is Bad Apples or Bad Laws, so we can ignore those ones, because we have seen footage of the bad guy being a bad guy. But that's a nightmarish implication, and even shows that I held in hitherto high esteem like Line of Duty, a show which is about the unit within British police that investigations police corruption, ends up having to go against the rules. In this case, the Deputy Chief Constable is actually corrupt and we know he is, but that's not how real life works, real people don't get to see the footage and show it the whole public and show that this was the case all along so operating outside the law is fine.

This brings to mind a show which I semi-binged over the last few months, The Shield. I think this one may be damn near the closest one to having any kind of realistic view of police, but it requires you to watch the entire seven seasons of the show for that to pay off.

(click to show/hide)

It makes me even angrier when I think back at Luther, a show I am beginning to enjoy hating because of how much it represents everything I think is wrong with crime fiction in the UK. It's like a direct window into the mortal fears of a Daily Mail acolyte.

And then the Copaganda examinations I've watched have shown me just how alarming this shit goes in things I haven't seen, like how the Dirty Harry movies constantly move the goalposts in response to the criticism the last movie faced, or how a show like Blue Bloods, and I am still in shock albeit unsurprised by this, had an episode where a white police officer threatened to throw a black suspect out of the window so the black suspect jumped to frame him for police brutality.

Once you know what Copaganda is, and start looking for its hallmarks, it is one of the most morbidly, horrifyingly fascinating things.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2385 on: 25 Sep 2020, 22:14 »

I enjoyed watching Law and Order SVU for a time, but nearly every episode (I can think of off the top of my head), there's a moment where the protagonists over stepped the line or submitted evidence that would never have been used in court. Like one episode, the suspect (who actually did do it) would only be found guilty if they could get a DNA sample from him. He rejects doing one. He blows his nose and then throws the used tissue into the trash bin. The protagonists take the tissue and performs an illegal DNA test, without the person's permission, and the court takes it and convicts the suspect.  "The good guys win" but they had to go outside the law to do so. In real life it would not have been admissible since the suspect did not give his permission. I find cop shows and movies generally make the cop to be a vigilante or the one interpreting the law, which acts like propaganda and a terrible role model for cops or people wanting to be cops.

Shout out to Legal Eagle on Youtube.  Its a great channel and the lawyer will review both movie/tv courtroom and "laws," as well as real cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1I7QBCHqng

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2386 on: 26 Sep 2020, 08:46 »

Oh I stopped watching SVU years ago when they basically decided Benson could do nothing wrong.

I liked the Law and Order franchise, but really, SVU has been going on for too long.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2387 on: 28 Sep 2020, 06:55 »

Ratched...

First seven episodes were fine.
(A bit of occasional belief suspension required for plot reasons, but.. ya know...)

But the last episode sucked.
Totally out of sync with the rest of the series, really spoiled the end of the series for me.
Worried about the 2nd series if it keeps going the same way.

(As for the character... I know it's meant to be Mildred from One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest... but it doesn't feel like the same character at all... to me.)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

oddtail

« Reply #2388 on: 03 Oct 2020, 02:44 »

I've been putting it off for a long time, but since it was finally on Netflix, I finally watched "Into the Spiderverse".

Story-wise, it was competent. Nothing to write home about, although I did enjoy it a fair amount.

Visually and in how the story was overall presented? So good. I can see why so many people have been raving about the film. I really, really liked it.

Gyrre

« Reply #2389 on: 04 Oct 2020, 02:27 »

I just watched two weird movies, The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot and The Little Hours

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot was sort of billed as an action movie, but for the most part Sam Elliot is in quiet repose about the things he had to do during the war and flashbacks to when he was with the woman he loved.

The Little Hours is about a group of nuns that take in a runaway and wacky shenanigans ensue. Mainly they wanna get with him/use him in witchcraft rituals. Amazing cast though, including: Allison Brie, Aubrey Plaza,Kate Miccuci, Molly Shannon, Fred Armisen, Dave Franco, John C. Reily, Nick Offerman

To be fair, TMWKHATTB was an amzing slow burn of a movie that I don't think anyone really would know how to market.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2390 on: 04 Oct 2020, 10:49 »

Yeah, how do you market a film with that title and also the fact that Bigfoot is bringing the plague back?

Since it's the spooky month I'm catching up on horror movies. So far I've watched:
-Goosebumps 2: Not as good as the original, under uses Jack Black, but still a nice continuation and a fun film
-Crawl: Nice and tense even if everyone in it is dumb. There is a dog and it does survive the film
-One Eyed Monster: An alien takes over Ron Jeremy's penis and starts killing the crew of an adult film. It felt like it had the quality of a bad adult film
-Sleepy Hollow: I wouldn't say it's a good movie, but I like Tim Burton's aesthetic. I didn't realize Christopher Walken played the Headless Horseman in the movie, along with really bad prosthetic teeth

Some movies up next include Cargo, Teeth, House of a 1000 corpses, Siren, and Hostel 2

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2391 on: 04 Oct 2020, 14:14 »

Is House of 1000 Corpses the one that sets up Devil's Rejects? Because Rejects is GREAT.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2392 on: 04 Oct 2020, 23:25 »

Escape from New York.

There are a few elements that date it, but it's a fun movie that deserves its cult status.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2393 on: 05 Oct 2020, 07:40 »

Escape from New York.

There are a few elements that date it, but it's a fun movie that deserves its cult status.
I'll watch anything with Kurt Russell in a major role; my favorite is Big Trouble in Little China.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2394 on: 05 Oct 2020, 13:54 »

Captain Ron is a guilty pleasure of mine that I quote frequently.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2395 on: 06 Oct 2020, 07:23 »

While I enjoyed Russell in Guardians vol 2 I was disappointed that Peter's father turned out to be Ego the Living Planet, instead of King J'sonn like in the comics.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2396 on: 06 Oct 2020, 07:34 »

Honestly, it was a nice twist and became about the difference between a father and a dad(dy). Wish Yondu stuck around for future movies.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2397 on: 06 Oct 2020, 16:51 »

Captain Ron is a guilty pleasure of mine that I quote frequently.

Is House of 1000 Corpses the one that sets up Devil's Rejects? Because Rejects is GREAT.

I watched House of a 1000 Corpses and it seemed like more of an idea of a movie than a movie. I've been told Devil's Rejects is a lot better so I'll give that a shot.
Today was the Lighthouse, which was a lot better even if it was a lot more confusing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2398 on: 07 Oct 2020, 08:29 »

Devil's Rejects is a VASTLY superior movie. Very dark. Hyper violent.  I haven't watched it in years though and I think it's super problematic, given it is a big Western exploitation riff.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2399 on: 07 Oct 2020, 12:15 »

Honestly, it was a nice twist and became about the difference between a father and a dad(dy).
They still could have done that with J'sonn. In the comics I've read, and also in the Disney XD animated series, he's kind of a prick and not much of a "dad".
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2020, 13:00 by Theta9 »
stePH
--
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53   Go Up