THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 487941 times)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2450 on: 08 Dec 2020, 13:16 »

Warning: snark overflow
:?
So it turns out too much snark, becomes anti-snark.
Still not clear on what you're referring to.
Sorry, it's one of those things that becomes tacitly understood---it's `obvious'---after a while inured in the schlock---there's even a website named after it, so it kinda slipped my mind that it's jargon. An `overflow,' often, is a (computer) error condition about too-much. I was referencing integer overflow, where adding 1 to the maximum value, becomes the minimum value---a `large' negative number, in some cases.
(I would be interested to know if this is too much or still too little explanation, to better calibrate my sense of how much explanation would be appropriate.)
Way too much explanation. You're really in the weeds now.

ALL I was asking is what particular post prompted the "snark overflow" comment.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #2451 on: 08 Dec 2020, 19:52 »

I think the movie in question was the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie. When you asked which one, I think Tova thought you were pretending it didn't exist because it was so bad you'd rather forget it. Hope that clears things up (and that I'm actually right about that).
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2452 on: 08 Dec 2020, 23:09 »

Warning: snark overflow
:?
So it turns out too much snark, becomes anti-snark.
Still not clear on what you're referring to.
Sorry, it's one of those things that becomes tacitly understood---it's `obvious'---after a while inured in the schlock---there's even a website named after it, so it kinda slipped my mind that it's jargon. An `overflow,' often, is a (computer) error condition about too-much. I was referencing integer overflow, where adding 1 to the maximum value, becomes the minimum value---a `large' negative number, in some cases.
(I would be interested to know if this is too much or still too little explanation, to better calibrate my sense of how much explanation would be appropriate.)

I really didn't want to explain - I started to, but it ended up being way too much explanation and so I bailed.

But if you just want to know just that - it wasn't any particular post, it was the sum effect of all of them.

To clarify though, it wasn't intended as a critcism, more a bemused observation/joke. And I also acknowledge that I out-snarked everyone.

Edit: Gnabberwocky, you are correct, and managed it succinctly. It certainly read that way. I drew that conclusion because I felt it was clear what movie was being referred to myself, and I had no idea that the movie existed until that moment (only the animated series).
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #2453 on: 09 Dec 2020, 00:38 »

I way misunderstood that, then. If Gnab's right, I'd have to say, I thought that was snark, too---and I envy your position of never knowing that film video ever was. To be fair, though: I haven't watched any Avatar stuff (not even the `smurfs' crossover episode). I'm just not a big fan---with a few exceptions, that I shake my fist at, of course---of long series.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2454 on: 16 Dec 2020, 20:16 »

I just watched The Pirates! today and wow, that was fantastic! Its made by Aardman studios (Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the Sheep, Early Man) and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I assumed it was just about misfit pirates when I saw the trailer way back when, and it is, but the writing, animation, and voice work was phenomenal! Its well cast with Hugh Grant, Martin Freedman, David Tennant, and Imelda Staunton. No spoilers but its about "Pirate Captain" and he wants to win the 1837 Pirate of the Year award, but when filling out the entrance form he realizes he hasn't done anything noteworthy to win it. So he takes his crew and they go a-pirating.  After a bit of bad luck they run into a historical figure that steers their adventure to London, which has a deadly anti-pirate policy.

I honestly don't know what else I can say about it without spoiling the movie, but it made twists and turns that I didn't expect and it was enjoyable all the way through. Its available on Netflix and worth the watch if you want to have a nice laugh.

edit: I forgot to mention, I lost my shit at a scene where they play a Flight of the Concords song. I was not expecting that at all and it was perfect.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2020, 23:20 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2455 on: 17 Dec 2020, 03:30 »

I'm honestly surprised how good Pirates was after being so disappointed in Flushed Away, and it also has my favorite gif of all time

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2456 on: 25 Dec 2020, 19:02 »

The live-action Gin Tama.
Now I know what it feels like to speedrun an entire season of an anime in 2 hours and 20-ish minutes.

It's weird.

Especially when they keep in a good chunk of the gags. Makes the comedic timing feel off. That said, the sheer number of references to other anime and manga is astouding and probably pretty ballsy during the manga's initial run. Granted, it's mostly stuff from Shonen Jump, but the Ghibli one threw me for a loop.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #2457 on: 25 Dec 2020, 19:11 »

I'm honestly surprised how good Pirates was after being so disappointed in Flushed Away, and it also has my favorite gif of all time

That one along with;  "windspeed" "Well yes, but actually no."

a real-ass gaddam sword

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2458 on: 25 Dec 2020, 20:45 »

The live-action Gin Tama.
Now I know what it feels like to speedrun an entire season of an anime in 2 hours and 20-ish minutes.

It's weird.

Especially when they keep in a good chunk of the gags. Makes the comedic timing feel off. That said, the sheer number of references to other anime and manga is astouding and probably pretty ballsy during the manga's initial run. Granted, it's mostly stuff from Shonen Jump, but the Ghibli one threw me for a loop.

That was me watching the live action Assassination Classroom movie.

Today I watched:
-The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special: Not bad, but the voices were so close but not quite that it threw me off the entire time
-Black Christmas: Surprising in how many things horror movies took from this one
-Jingle Jangle: A nice holiday musical film that has a mostly black cast, though it does go on a little too long
-Wonder Woman 84: Not as bad as some people say, though I did like the first one better

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2459 on: 26 Dec 2020, 08:00 »

If you're a fan or Aardman animations, and have netflix, give Farmageddon a try. The premise is simple, an Alien lands outside of town and befriends Shaun and Co (from the Shaun the Sheep series*) but is then being hunted by the MiB. While Shaun tries to help the alien, the Farmer recruits the others to help open up an amusement park/alien-con to capitalize on the recent UFO craze sweeping up the town and tourists visiting.

Its a Shaun the Sheep movie, so just a heads up, there is no real dialogue. But that's part of its charm and creativity, telling a story in visuals and gibberish.  It has nice easter eggs of other sci-fi and paranormal/ufo stuff that don't feel out of place or over done (imho). I am sure the farmer's costume is suppose to be a nod to Star Trek, but it looks so much like Zapp Brannigan's outfit that I can't help but feel like its the true inspiration for the get up.

*Shaun the Sheep is a spin off from a Wallace and Gromit movie. Seasons 1-5 are on Amazon Prime for free as well as the Llama special, but the first movie (Shaun the Sheep the Movie) is not free but we recently bought it and thought it was great! Season 6 is on Netflix and Farmageddon is the sequel movie. Every episode of Shaun the Sheep, movie, and special are stand alone and don't really require you to have seen any of the others to get it.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2460 on: 27 Dec 2020, 07:46 »

There have been a handful of animated sequels that I think have actually surpassed their predecessors, I don't think this one quite did that, but it is a pretty jaw-dropping movie.
I'd say that it did, and that it's not even close. Frozen is good, Frozen 2 is considerably better in every way.

Saw Soul the other day, and holy shit was it good. Wonder Woman 1984 was a lot of fun, which for the DCCU is saying a lot. Probably my second favorite after Shazam.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2461 on: 27 Dec 2020, 16:37 »

I just saw Frozen 2, and I have to say, I like the first one better.

It was "ok" at best until

(click to show/hide)

After that it got exponentially better. I think, for me anyways, its because up to that point it seemed to only have a cool mystery.  The songs, jokes, and some of the other scenes seemed to try to rehash moments from the previous film, until we get to the spoiler. After the spoiler part, the movie really came into its own. I just wished the first part leading up to it "went for it" the way the spoiler and events afterward did. I usually don't give #/10 scores but I felt like this one was a 7.5/10. It was good. Better than okay, but not great nor amazing. The first film, on the other hand, blew me away and was deserving of a 9 or 10.

Gyrre

« Reply #2462 on: 28 Dec 2020, 09:14 »

(click to show/hide)

After that it got exponentially better. I think, for me anyways, its because up to that point it seemed to only have a cool mystery.  The songs, jokes, and some of the other scenes seemed to try to rehash moments from the previous film, until we get to the spoiler. After the spoiler part, the movie really came into its own. I just wished the first part leading up to it "went for it" the way the spoiler and events afterward did. I usually don't give #/10 scores but I felt like this one was a 7.5/10. It was good. Better than okay, but not great nor amazing. The first film, on the other hand, blew me away and was deserving of a 9 or 10.

I hate it when sequels feel they need to rehash things from the previous movie. Especially when it's entire plot points or subplots  that don't make sense to be rehashed.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2463 on: 28 Dec 2020, 11:24 »

I finally watched 'The Rise of Skywalker'.

Well.

I understand the lacklustre reviews now.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2464 on: 08 Jan 2021, 15:52 »

We have established a Thursday night movie night to work through DVDs we have that we don't know if we want to keep, so we're watching them and then deciding. Last night was Dan In Real Life, which is... going to the charity shop.

Not really a bad movie. Not really a good movie. A painfully indie movie, I'll tell you that - everything you think of when you think of this kind of movie is here. Improv stuff done by the actors. Bigger names than you expect. Straightforward direction. A main character who is a lovable prick. Slightly weirdly written, and enormously cliched in places. A decent movie that desperately, desperately wants to be a great one.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2465 on: 09 Jan 2021, 20:24 »

(click to show/hide)

I finally watched it too and I felt disappointed, almost like they didn't need this sequel at all. On the other hand I watched Toy Story 4 and absolutely loved it. It felt like it had everything that Frozen 2 was missing.

Gyrre

« Reply #2466 on: 16 Jan 2021, 05:31 »

"I've got Mother, two ex-wives, and several bartenders who depend on me!"

If you haven't seen North by Northwest it's worth a watch just for how snarky Mr. Thornhill is.
a real-ass gaddam sword

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2467 on: 16 Jan 2021, 07:11 »

I picked up the Deep Blue Sea trilogy just before my birthday. In a pique of lockdown frustration, I ended up watching all three yesterday. These aren't particularly deep (heh) films, so I'm not going to say too much about them.

Deep Blue Sea, still not a bad film after 20+ years. CGI still largely holds up today.
Deep Blue Sea 2 - despite being made in 2018, the sharks look worse. Plot is essentially the same, almost making it a remake, "Oh we're making a new drug. Lets genetically enhance sharks to make them smarter!" Definitely the worst of the 3.
Deep Blue Sea 3 - Not a bad film, but that's not really saying much considering how low a bar the second film set. Tries to be a little different, both in terms of location and general problem, which helps it stand apart from the previous films. Still not as good as the first one.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2468 on: 17 Jan 2021, 02:40 »

'The perfect omelette is made with two eggs, not three. Some people use milk to add bulk, this is a mistake.'

Gyrre

« Reply #2469 on: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42 »

I picked up the Deep Blue Sea trilogy just before my birthday. In a pique of lockdown frustration, I ended up watching all three yesterday. These aren't particularly deep (heh) films, so I'm not going to say too much about them.

Deep Blue Sea, still not a bad film after 20+ years. CGI still largely holds up today.
Deep Blue Sea 2 - despite being made in 2018, the sharks look worse. Plot is essentially the same, almost making it a remake, "Oh we're making a new drug. Lets genetically enhance sharks to make them smarter!" Definitely the worst of the 3.
Deep Blue Sea 3 - Not a bad film, but that's not really saying much considering how low a bar the second film set. Tries to be a little different, both in terms of location and general problem, which helps it stand apart from the previous films. Still not as good as the first one.

.........why did they make sequels, let alone 2?

EDIT: They could have tried to adapt Larry Niven and Steve Barnes Saturn's Race if they wanted to do something interesting with genetically enhanced sharks.
They'd absolutely have to keep in the bit where one of the sharks is asked the meaning of life, stops swimming, and answers "Keep moving. Otherwise you sink."
[May have botched the quote, it's been years since I read the book.]
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2021, 02:47 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2470 on: 18 Jan 2021, 11:39 »

This week's Thursday movie night we got half an hour into Age of Innocence before getting annoyed with it and giving up.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2471 on: 19 Jan 2021, 18:22 »

I watched 3 moves over the weekend:
-Royal Tannenbaums: I'm a fan of Wes Andersons and this movie doesn't disappoint in that department. All that's left for me is his newest one, Rushmore, and Bottle Rocket
-The Dead Don't Die: A weird zombie movie from Jim Jarmush, not the best but fun
-Guns Akimbo: Crazy as hell and a lot of fun

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2472 on: 19 Jan 2021, 20:53 »

This week's Thursday movie night we got half an hour into Age of Innocence before getting annoyed with it and giving up.

I've not seen it but I heard Winona Ryder was "insufferable" in it.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2473 on: 26 Jan 2021, 02:26 »

EDIT: They could have tried to adapt Larry Niven and Steve Barnes Saturn's Race if they wanted to do something interesting with genetically enhanced sharks.
They'd absolutely have to keep in the bit where one of the sharks is asked the meaning of life, stops swimming, and answers "Keep moving. Otherwise you sink."
[May have botched the quote, it's been years since I read the book.]

Vaguely reminds me of that masterpiece of James Cameron's John Carpenter's that is 'Dark Star' - the bit about debating phenomenology with an intelligent kamikaze fission device.

Edit: For obvious reasons ...  :oops:
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2021, 03:47 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2474 on: 26 Jan 2021, 02:39 »

Vaguely reminds me of that masterpiece of James Cameron's that is 'Dark Star' - the bit about debating phenomenology with an intelligent kamikaze fission device.

Hey, now.. that ol' hack had nothing to do with the amazing Dark Star (pre cursor to ALIEN).

I'm sure you know you mean John Carpenter/Dan O'Bannon...?  ;)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2475 on: 26 Jan 2021, 03:43 »

Vaguely reminds me of that masterpiece of James Cameron's that is 'Dark Star' - the bit about debating phenomenology with an intelligent kamikaze fission device.

Hey, now.. that ol' hack had nothing to do with the amazing Dark Star (pre cursor to ALIEN).

I'm sure you know you mean John Carpenter/Dan O'Bannon...?  ;)

Curse my disintegrating long-term memory ... My sincere apologies to everybody.

:facepalm:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

RogerFalcon

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2476 on: 28 Jan 2021, 06:58 »

Today I watched all the parts of How to train your dragon, all 3 parts and realized that this is one of the best cartoons in my life.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2477 on: 29 Jan 2021, 12:35 »

Today I watched all the parts of How to train your dragon, all 3 parts and realized that this is one of the best cartoons in my life.

While not quite at the same level, I also recommend the series.

Gyrre

« Reply #2478 on: 30 Jan 2021, 09:35 »

I still haven't seen the third one, but I take issue with the female nightfury's design from a biology standpoint. Pretty sure one or m9re videos have already been made and posted to YouTube about it by now.
a real-ass gaddam sword

oddtail

« Reply #2479 on: 10 Mar 2021, 14:36 »

Finally got around to watching "Coco".

...yeah, it's about as good as everyone has been saying. Yes, I cried. Yes, you should absolutely watch it if you haven't already.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2480 on: 26 Mar 2021, 23:37 »

I watched "Mars Attacks" and, although its a parody of 50s\60s B-movies along with War of the Worlds and came out the same year as Independence Day, I like it. There's a couple of scenes which didn't age well but overall its as schlocky as intended and has some great moments. Oddly enough the way the US government handles the crisis is somewhat similar to our current one.  I especially like that we see different people with different backgrounds dealing with the presence of aliens. From new age hippy liberals, to trailer park bumpkin conservatives, to a 9-5 working single mom, and even a couple of celebrities. Its a large ensemble cast of characters but its not hard to keep up with them as each one has there own little story during the events of the film and its a welcome sight compared to say Independence Day or the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds movie. I also like the blend of the 60s and 90s style, it really works.  Its grotesque, silly, and dumb but I had a fun time.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2481 on: 28 Mar 2021, 07:57 »

Here's my hot take: I like it more than Independence Day

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2482 on: 28 Mar 2021, 08:47 »

That's not even a hot take, that's just a given. ID4 is a piece of crap. MA is a masterpiece of satire. The last good film Burton made.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2483 on: 28 Mar 2021, 10:47 »

I watched a film student reaction video of it yesterday and even they thought it was good or at least fun. Then I watched the Nostalgia Critic's review of it and he just does not get it. Like at all. Like no fun to be had. It may be one of those movies were if you get it, you get it. I also read an article comparing Mars Attacks with ID4 and they thought ID4 is the better cinematic experience because its a tighter story.  Mars Attacks on the other hand was more fun along with the Martians being the star of the film.

Dare I say Mars Attacks is more relatable than ID4? Yes, yes I do.

As crappy as ID4 is, I still like it better than War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. The only enjoyable part of WotW was the tripods.

oddtail

« Reply #2484 on: 28 Mar 2021, 11:22 »

Then I watched the Nostalgia Critic's review of it and he just does not get it. Like at all. Like no fun to be had.

In one of her podcasts Lindsay Ellis said that Doug Walker seems (based on when they collaborated on the Moulin Rouge! video, and IIRC also other videos they did together) to legitimately have no curiosity as to why other people might like something he doesn't. Instead of asking why people like something, she alleges, he immediately comes up with an answer HE thinks is true and makes no effort to pursue the matter any further.

Nostalgia Critic videos were fun/funny for me for a while, but I don't think I would have kept watching them even without the whole #changethechannel stuff. Change The Channel was why I stopped watching the videos, because I refuse to support enablers of abuse even via video views, but after a while, whenever I went back to the videos mentally with some distance due to not watching them anymore, I remembered them as being very shallow under the excuse of "it's comedy", even the good ones.

Comedy of videos Doug Walker makes can be hit and miss, and humour is subjective. But his analytical skills are not that great, and "he doesn't get it" seemed to be my reaction fairly often to things he's negative towards - even back when I'd watch his videos and enjoyed them. Both in-character as NC and speaking as himself in vlogs.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2485 on: 28 Mar 2021, 11:32 »

That's not even a hot take, that's just a given. ID4 is a piece of crap. MA is a masterpiece of satire. The last good film Burton made.

I actually love Sleepy Hollow.  Less because of Burton (aside from the visual atmosphere) and Depp than Ricci, Richardson, Walken, etc.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2486 on: 28 Mar 2021, 12:08 »

I watched a film student reaction video of it yesterday and even they
As crappy as ID4 is, I still like it better than War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. The only enjoyable part of WotW was the tripods.
They are both garbage, but at least ID4 is fun and terrible instead of just terrible
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2487 on: 28 Mar 2021, 13:03 »

@Oddtail: Yeah I stopped watching his content after that happened too and they got rid of the guy that caused a lot of the issues. But as time went on, I found him to be less funny\insightful and more like just a channel that shits on movies, unless he liked them. And there's nothing super wrong about that, CinemaSins and HISHE kind of do the same thing but where they try to point out flaws in movies, Doug tries to just eviscerate and shit on the movies. I did watch him and his brother react to Gravity Falls episodes and that was pretty enjoyable, but again its because he liked it. I only watched this video because I was craving some more Mars Attacks content and thought maybe he would try to elevate, or go to bat for the movie as he did with his Sleepy Hollow movie review where he figured out what Burton was trying to do and it shone a new light on the movie that made it extra enjoyable on top of the enjoyment I already had. The beginning of his Mars Attacks review even seemed to try and set up that he was trying to do that. But then he just kept insulting and movie and clearly showed that he just didn't get it and didn't really seem to want to get it. Like it was just easier to go for the low handing fruit and just crap on the movie than to try find why it has a cult following.

I have watched a few Lindsay Ellis videos since her departure and she is very analytical and enjoyable to watch. Especially her Disney's Notre Dame video. Admittedly I don't keep up with her channel though.

I actually love Sleepy Hollow.  Less because of Burton (aside from the visual atmosphere) and Depp than Ricci, Richardson, Walken, etc.
I do too. Its a fun movie that is an homage to Hammer Horror films. Depp's portrayal of Ichabod Crane isn't all that interesting, but the rest of the cast and the plot was fun and engaging. Maybe Depp was suppose to be the audience, just kind of trying to use logic to CSI everything only to be swept up into a supernatural mystery.

They are both garbage, but at least ID4 is fun and terrible instead of just terrible
I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2488 on: 28 Mar 2021, 15:15 »

You’re right, he was probably an audience-surrogate.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2489 on: 29 Mar 2021, 03:38 »

I was in on the ground floor with Doug and the whole Channel Awesome thing from an early stage, and I eventually drifted away from it after all of the Spoony bullshit went on, with a couple of exceptions - I still watch Linkara, who I am discovering through rewatching his older videos was using words like 'ableism' in his reviews way back before I'd ever heard of the term, let alone knew it was literally a prejudice against people like me. His stuff stands up pretty well. I also still watch Todd in the Shadows, who seems to have evolved into a pretty compassionate and enormously knowledgeable music critic. I've even drifted over to Obscurus Lupa's channel these days, although only really for her Baywatch stuff.

Doug, though - he was genuinely a bit of an innovator, or at least fore-runner, of the form of the video critique back in the day. Before it became what it is now, which is basically another part of academia, him and the Angry Video Game Nerd were some of the first truly popular people in that form. Of course I was only about 19 when I got into them, and over a decade later it is amazing to see how poor his videos look with hindsight. And then #ChangetheChannel happened, and I was pretty glad I avoided most of them nowadays. Especially Cinema Snob, who seemingly is of the opinion that survivors of abuse should quit complaining so much.

I still cautiously recommend Lindsay's stuff, but I've found in her last few videos that she's started getting a bit too invested in 'drama,' including her own, and there are just... people out there who are not white women, but people of colour, or transpeople, who have much more to say about some of the stuff she talks about, just not as much popularity or production value.

Anyway, as for actual movies we've been watching.

Our movie nights have rolled on, week before last was Crazy, Stupid, Love, which may as well be a fedora-wearer's handbook. I was very disappointed by this because my memory of it was as a superior romantic comedy that doesn't fall into many of the problematic traps that other ones do. And frankly, I think it's actually vastly worse than something like 27 Dresses, because that at least knows what it is. Romantic comedies typically know what they are and what you're here for, and Crazy thinks it's above all that and just isn't. This is a movie that features a 13-year-old boy receiving the advice from his dad that if you love a girl you 'never give up.' The girl he likes is 17, and has already told the kid explicitly that he is making her uncomfortable. Later in the plot he declares his love for her in front of their whole school, and then is confused when she is mad at him. Many more terrible things happen later in that plot, but the payoff to it is the girl giving the boy some naked photos of herself. Yes, that's right, this definite future rapist was rewarded for his stalking and pressurising behaviour by being given child porn, while being a child himself! Hooray! Romance! Love! This movie has aged badly. So badly I might even write in my blog about it, and I have put two posts on that thing in the last four years.

This week, however, we watched The Full Monty. I expected this to have aged appallingly, but to be blunt I think it's a masterpiece and is probably even better now than it was previously. It has aged immensely gracefully. It's a bit overloaded with the male perspective, but as a movie which is about masculinity, I think it succeeds admirably in that regard. It avoids many of the pitfalls of typical 90s movies - there is a whiff of the 'birth father is true father' to it, but this is only subtextual and the movie never seems to actually side with this viewpoint. The male characters discuss feminism, but admit they don't understand it. And there is a male body image and depression subplot, which is just a beautiful thing to see and pretty rare even now. In fact, male mental health is a major theme from an early point in the movie and I was immensely impressed at how the movie was unashamed about men supporting each other through troubled times. Strong recommendation.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2490 on: 30 Mar 2021, 08:30 »

I realize this is entirely subjective, but you don't think any of Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd, and Corpse Bride (especially this one) are any good? I do agree Mars Attack is better, but I wouldn't call it the last good movie, unless you have a very high standard for what constitutes a good movie (if so, kudos  8-) ).
I personally like Big Fish quite a but as well but I can see how many may not care for it.   

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2491 on: 30 Mar 2021, 08:52 »

I realize this is entirely subjective, but you don't think any of Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd, and Corpse Bride (especially this one) are any good?

Honestly, no. Sleepy Hollow is... okay-sh, but not good. Sweeny Todd and Corpse Bride are notably bad.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2492 on: 30 Mar 2021, 09:48 »

I like all of Burton's work less with time. I didn't like much of it anyway. His Alice movies are atrocious.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2493 on: 30 Mar 2021, 10:09 »

Much of it has aged very poorly.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2494 on: 30 Mar 2021, 10:48 »

That's true of most everything, sadly.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2495 on: 30 Mar 2021, 12:47 »

I watched The Hateful Eight and enjoyed it quite a bit - more than I expected.

I agree on Alice and Mars Attacks. Not so much on Sweeney Todd, which I thought was thoroughly entertaining. Don't know about the others mentioned, but I've been meaning to see Big Fish.

I remember appreciating the themes of The Full Monty when it came out. I'm pleased to hear that it stands up.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2496 on: 30 Mar 2021, 13:59 »

I did like "Big Fish".  And "Sweeny Todd" was fine, if one didn't take it at all seriously, and just as an over the top slash-fest.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2497 on: 30 Mar 2021, 14:45 »

I quite enjoy 'Corpse Bride', actually. I'm a sucker for stop-motion animation.

oddtail

« Reply #2498 on: 30 Mar 2021, 14:45 »

I really liked Corpse Bride, too. I don't think it's a great movie, but I found it to be a pretty good one.

EDIT: holy crap, it's my thousandth post. Where does the time go.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2499 on: 30 Mar 2021, 14:54 »

Congratulations!

And the time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin', into the future.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 53   Go Up