THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 488305 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2550 on: 23 Sep 2021, 01:44 »

Watched "The Dead Don't Die" on a recommendation from a friend.

This movie baffles me. It's both entirely composed of clichés and really unusual. It has few jokes, but is amazingly funny at times. Its plot structure is shaky at best, and I don't know what the point is or why it was made.

I'm not sure I like it, and I don't think it's a good film, not really. I don't really recommend it. But I am super-glad I watched it, because it's interesting to watch... whatever it is.

It's a real, "Well, that happened," kind of movie

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2551 on: 23 Sep 2021, 17:05 »

Rewatched "Interview with the Vampire".

It holds up very well, better than it has any right to. I really enjoyed myself, to the point that a) now I want to run a game of Vampire: the Masquerade RPG (that's my normal reaction) and b) re-read the book (I remember it being very good, too).

I'm honestly surprised how well the film continues to work. A lot of 90s stuff... does not. Here, I continue to have basically no complaints. It's as good an adaptation of the novel as I can conceivably imagine (and the author apparently agreed with my assessment back in the day).

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2552 on: 23 Sep 2021, 21:11 »

It's biggest weakness continues to be Antonio Banderas, who was completely wrong for the part. Otherwise it is an extremely solid adaptation.

I've yet to play a Victorian Age VTM chronicle. All my games have been modern day.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2553 on: 06 Oct 2021, 18:20 »

Rewatching the Corpse Bride with my 3yo and I have to say the first 20 minutes of the movie would make an absolute perfect Victorian Era Gothic Horror Story.

(click to show/hide)

But instead we get a happy ending and some jazzy skeletons.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2554 on: 10 Oct 2021, 04:38 »

I've been doing the horror movie challenge and here's what I've been watching the past nine days:
-The Invisible Man (2020)
-Trick
-Kingdom: Ashin of the North
-Howl
-Black Christmas (2019)
-Funhouse
-#Alive
-Llamageddon
-A Nightmare on Elm Street

So far The Invisible Man is the best, and Llamageddon the worst
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2021, 01:39 by Blue Kitty »

dutchrvl

« Reply #2555 on: 11 Oct 2021, 13:50 »

Saw Terminator: Dark Fate last night.

A lot more enjoyable (for me at least) than Salvation.
Is it worth bothering to watch Genisys (only one I haven't seen) or should I just forget it exists altogether?

oddtail

« Reply #2556 on: 11 Oct 2021, 14:38 »

After watching "The Dead Don't Die" and it leaving a somewhat bleh taste in my mouth, I decided to check out other movies by Jarmusch.

I started with 1995's "Dead Man", starring Johnny Depp.

It's a slow burn of a western, but I really liked it. I like how it portrays violence in both a matter-of-fact way and with an emphasis of how ugly it really is. I like the movie's pace (despite it being very slow). I like the characters. I like that it's more than a little surreal, but not in a self-conscious "look how weird and experimental we're being, wooooo" way that surreal art sometimes is.

If you can stomach a VERY slow (and very bleak) movie and enjoy westerns, you'll probably like this one. You might like it even if westerns are not usually not your thing.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2557 on: 11 Oct 2021, 20:50 »

The best Jarmusch film, hands down, is Only Lovers Left Alive. Arguably the best vampire film, ever.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2558 on: 13 Oct 2021, 07:41 »

Going to have to check that one out.  My top two vampire films right now have to be “Let the Right One In” and “Nosferatu”.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

oddtail

« Reply #2559 on: 13 Oct 2021, 08:39 »

Have you seen "Shadow of the Vampire"? I saw it in college and it was pretty amazing.

But it does require having seen "Nosferatu" to fully appreciate, hence why it came to my mind.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2560 on: 13 Oct 2021, 14:27 »

Having seen Shadow of the Vampire before seeing Nosferatu myself ... I'd agree that you get more out of the film if you've seen Nosferatu first, there being numerous direct references, but the film can be enjoyed tremendously without having seen it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

oddtail

« Reply #2561 on: 14 Oct 2021, 03:21 »

Having seen Shadow of the Vampire before seeing Nosferatu myself ... I'd agree that you get more out of the film if you've seen Nosferatu first, there being numerous direct references, but the film can be enjoyed tremendously without having seen it.

Yeah, same. But I do regret in retrospect not having seen Nosferatu first.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2562 on: 14 Oct 2021, 19:53 »

Going to have to check that one out.  My top two vampire films right now have to be “Let the Right One In” and “Nosferatu”.
Both excellent choices. I would also recommend "A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night"
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2563 on: 15 Oct 2021, 01:38 »

I thought A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night was just okay. Everyone was talking about how amazing it was but it felt more like a short film than anything to me. For me I love 30 Days of Night and the recent Blood Red Sky

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2564 on: 15 Oct 2021, 05:15 »

"A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night" is a strikingly beautiful and original film that deserves better than to be considered "just okay."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2565 on: 15 Oct 2021, 06:34 »

I saw Incredibles 2 last night. It was really good. I think I liked it better than the first one.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2566 on: 15 Oct 2021, 14:23 »

"A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night" is a strikingly beautiful and original film that deserves better than to be considered "just okay."

Different strokes for different folks. I've seen plenty of highly popular and well received movies that were just 'meh' in my opinion.

I saw Incredibles 2 last night. It was really good. I think I liked it better than the first one.

It's a great sequel.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2567 on: 15 Oct 2021, 15:42 »

Different strokes for different folks. I've seen plenty of highly popular and well received movies that were just 'meh' in my opinion.

Of course. Just my opinion.  :parrot:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2568 on: 17 Oct 2021, 10:05 »

Have you seen "Shadow of the Vampire"? I saw it in college and it was pretty amazing.

But it does require having seen "Nosferatu" to fully appreciate, hence why it came to my mind.

I was fortunate enough to see that one when it came out.  Great cast, and really well done.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2569 on: 18 Oct 2021, 14:16 »

I didn't say it was bad, but folks hyped it up so much that finally watching it was kind of a let down

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2570 on: 18 Oct 2021, 14:25 »

That's why I try to manage expectations and largely ignore hype. If anything, hype induces a backlash effect in me, so if it actually is good, I'm terribly pleased.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2571 on: 18 Oct 2021, 19:45 »

Yea, hype doesn't really work on me.

The current state of internet media discussion seems to be that everything has to be mind-blowingly awesome or it's completely garbage. Nothing is allowed to be just enjoyable.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2572 on: 24 Oct 2021, 12:18 »

Only 6 more days to go for the Halloween Horror Challenge. So far I've watched:
-Body at Brighton Rock
-Ernest Scared Stupid
-Blood Red Sky
-Cold Skin
-Freaky
-Children of the Corn
-Creep 2
-Halloween
-Raccoon Valley
-Hunger
-Good Dog
-Hellfest
-Bingo Hell
-The Empty Man
-Willy's Wonderland

Of this batch The Empty Man was probably the best and Hunger the worst

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2573 on: 25 Oct 2021, 14:35 »

Anyone seen a truly nightmarish, low-budget Brit horror called Possum?

One of the most haunting movies I've ever seen.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2574 on: 27 Oct 2021, 03:45 »

I haven't, but it's funny that the wikipedia article mentions Matthew Holness making Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2575 on: 27 Oct 2021, 09:25 »

I lost my shit when I realised he made it. They could not be much more different from each other.

oddtail

« Reply #2576 on: 31 Oct 2021, 17:50 »

I watched "In the Mouth of Madness". It's honestly weird that it took me this long, because I generally like Carpenter's films a lot.

I mostly knew what the movie was about, and had known some of the specific plot. So the movie was about what I expected. No shocks and only some surprises, sadly.

That being said, it's still a great movie, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's probably the best Lovecraftian movie that's not an adaptation of an actual story by Lovecraft. And possibly the best Lovecraftian movie ever, period.

Pretty much everything about the movie worked for me. Sam Neill is cast perfectly as the main character, the story is both a bit mind-bendy and makes perfect internal sense, I liked the special effects, the acting, the visuals (especially the lighting), the weirdness... everything. It's just a damn good movie. Critics must've really hated Carpenter, between this movie and the "The Thing" being disliked by them. I honestly don't get that. "In the Mouth of Madness" is perhaps not the perfect movie and maybe not for everyone, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect version of what it's trying to be. It's a horror story that's smart while not putting on airs of importance, which kinda reminds me of Stephen King - the other clear inspiration for the script besides Lovecraft.

Also - stories that include heavy metafiction elements can be tiresome, but in this case, I didn't mind. The movie is not cliché as far as I'm concerned. It's more creepy than scary overall, but it works really well for me.

I do wish I'd gone into it completely blind, but even knowing some of the plot points in advance I didn't feel like my enjoyment was ruined or anything.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2577 on: 01 Nov 2021, 02:59 »

Last batch for the Halloween Horror Challenge::

-Fear Street Part One: 1994
-Black Pumpkin
-Dude Bro Party Massacre 3
-The Night Watchmen
-Neon Demon
-Nobody Sleeps in the Woods at Night
-John Carpenter's The Thing

Of this batch The Thing is the best while Black Pumpkin was the worst

Tova

• coprophage

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2579 on: 07 Nov 2021, 13:09 »

Here's all the movies I watched for the month of October collected together:

(click to show/hide)

The winner for me is The Invisible Man, tense and creepy through out with a great use of CGI. The loser is Neon Demon, nice to look at but there's not much there with the story until the very end where
(click to show/hide)
It was almost a three way tie with Llamageddon and Black Pumpkin, but Llamageddon was at least fun and Black Pumpkin had an alright horror story and deaths. The surprise under dog for me goes to The Night Watchmen for just being a great premise and pretty good comedy.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2580 on: 07 Nov 2021, 13:20 »

"Amidst the devastation of post-crisis Spain, a mother and daughter bluff and grift to fund their extravagant daily life—with impending eviction never too far from sight."

Presented in B&W. It has some unconventional editing choices. Many long takes. And the ending, while in retrospect feels inevitable, at the time was so surprising that the entire theatre burst into awkward laughter.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2581 on: 11 Nov 2021, 15:07 »

I've just returned from watching Death (True²) and End of Evangelion in a cinema (part of the run-up to the release next month of the blu-rays of Evangelion worldwide - outside Japan, which already has them, of course).

I watched the dub, because I booked it before any sub screenings were announced (they're next week, which would have been inconvenient anyway).  Curiously, they were advertised, and labelled on the screen, as having the "classic" dub, which everyone took to mean the original from ADV  nearly 20 years ago; however, what they played was actually the recent dub which was first released on Netflix a couple of years ago.  I was quite pleased, as I prefer it anyway; it's less characterful, but a closer match for the Japanese dub, and truer to the requirements of the films.

This sort-of completes a circle for me, as the very first anime of any kind which I watched was these two films (in the old dub) - without even having seen the series that they complete.  It was a very strange experience, but led to my subsequent continuing fascination with anime in general.  As far as Evangelion is concerned, though, I have now seen all the films up to the last one of the theatrical edition, and rounding off by seeing the ones which started me off, in a cinema this time, feels like a completed job.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #2582 on: 15 Nov 2021, 20:00 »

Watched Disney's "Jungle Cruise", starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.  Very enjoyable, with a nice Twist.
next night, watched "Red Notice", with Gal Gadot, Johnson and Ryan Reynolds.  Also very fun, with a great Twist.

both are excellent popcorn movies that I'm glad I didnt spend $20 to see in the theater.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2583 on: 16 Nov 2021, 10:53 »

Funny coincidence those were exactly the 2 movies we were deciding on this past Sunday (what can I say, we tend to enjoy Dwayne Johnson content, and I like the co-stars in both movies). Watched Jungle Cruise in the end and while by no means a great movie, it was quite enjoyable. Great for streaming at home (not a theater).

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2584 on: 20 Nov 2021, 18:11 »

I've heard it's very close to the Brendan Fraser The Mummy

dutchrvl

« Reply #2585 on: 21 Nov 2021, 08:54 »

In spirit and style, yeah I’d say so. Also somewhat with national treasure movies

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #2586 on: 21 Nov 2021, 23:20 »

Ghostbusters: Afterlife. It was surprisingly and enjoyably different from the hints I got from the media. The story is nicely stand-alone and doesn't require that you have seen the two previous prime timeline films to understand the plot, the threat and the characters. The ending is both an excellent action set-piece that's true to the Ghostbusters mythos and, also, is surprisingly heart-warming in terms of representing the swansong and conclusion for the original team.

Mckenna Grace is a revelation and it really is as if the spirit of Harold Ramis is guiding every step of her performance.

Overall theme? Family and friendship and how it is built and must be sustained through adversity. "We're ready to believe you", the Ghostbusters famously chorused at the end of their TV advert. This is very much about belief, not just in the supernatural (which is almost tangential to the plot) but in yourselves and in those you love.

Far from the 1984 masterwork in terms of quality but it easily stands up to the quality of Ghostbusters II.

Is this the start of a new phase for the franchise? Well, there is the 'Ghost Corps' logo and the implication that Ghostbusters has survived into the modern day in some form. There are a few other hints of future plot-lines but I'm not 100% sure that the franchise could support more material (even though you know Sony wants to cash in).
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2587 on: 23 Nov 2021, 12:27 »

I watched Tick, Tick... Boom! on Netflix, and it was terrific.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2588 on: 27 Nov 2021, 18:00 »

Aardman Animations came out with a new short film (about 30 minutes) on Netflix called "Robin Robin." Its about a robin that was raised by mice and very much wants to be a mouse, but she's terrible at it. She meets a magpie that tells her about the "who-man's" magic wishing star that they put on top of the spikiest trees they can find. Anyone who has one, can make a wish and it will come true the next morning. Robin will be the best mouse she can be and will steal herself a wishing star. Its a pretty good short film and was a bit of fun.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2589 on: 28 Nov 2021, 02:20 »

I just watched Poltergeist. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before cause I knew the beats, but not in the right order. I'd just listened to the Random Number Generator Horror Podcast No. 9 episode about it so I wanted to watch it again to refresh my memory. The whole epilogue is so weird, why not put that before or during Carol Anne being taken?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2590 on: 01 Dec 2021, 09:14 »

I saw Dear Evan Hansen and it is a terrible masterpiece I can't remember if i already posted this

Gyrre

« Reply #2591 on: 17 Dec 2021, 20:13 »

Ghostbusters: Afterlife. It was surprisingly and enjoyably different from the hints I got from the media. The story is nicely stand-alone and doesn't require that you have seen the two previous prime timeline films to understand the plot, the threat and the characters. The ending is both an excellent action set-piece that's true to the Ghostbusters mythos and, also, is surprisingly heart-warming in terms of representing the swansong and conclusion for the original team.

Mckenna Grace is a revelation and it really is as if the spirit of Harold Ramis is guiding every step of her performance.

Overall theme? Family and friendship and how it is built and must be sustained through adversity. "We're ready to believe you", the Ghostbusters famously chorused at the end of their TV advert. This is very much about belief, not just in the supernatural (which is almost tangential to the plot) but in yourselves and in those you love.

Far from the 1984 masterwork in terms of quality but it easily stands up to the quality of Ghostbusters II.

Is this the start of a new phase for the franchise? Well, there is the 'Ghost Corps' logo and the implication that Ghostbusters has survived into the modern day in some form. There are a few other hints of future plot-lines but I'm not 100% sure that the franchise could support more material (even though you know Sony wants to cash in).

Agreed on most points.While the film starts a bit slower after the initial action scene, I actually like that. The characters are people first instead of just falling into cliches or someone else's role

I like how they filmed the opening to avoid having to do the virtual actor thing
(click to show/hide)

I also like that they used a combination of both practical and CG effects work. The movie is worth the ticket price (at least locally) and I'll be purchasing it when it comes out on blu-ray/DVD.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2592 on: 28 Feb 2022, 06:49 »

Encanto is great! Is it sad that I related to Bruno?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2593 on: 28 Feb 2022, 12:13 »

I love Encanto as well, it gets better every time I watch it. The family dynamics are fascinating, and while I agree that Abuela could have made better choices, I also understand WHY she did it. Poor Alma :(
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #2594 on: 28 Feb 2022, 16:32 »

I also like that they used a combination of both practical and CG effects work. The movie is worth the ticket price (at least locally) and I'll be purchasing it when it comes out on blu-ray/DVD.

Adam Savage of Mythbusters did a series of videos on his YouTube channel of behind the scenes geeking out for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Definitely recommended if you've seen the movie, or don't care about spoilers.

Recently watched the movie, and had a lot of fun.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2595 on: 06 Mar 2022, 12:38 »

Just watched Inception, and I am confused as to why it is considered a good film. The plot seems to be this: Joseph Gordon-Levitt and evil Japanese guy (I know the actor, but I can't remember his name) mentally torture some guy whose dad has just died, with the assistance of the protagonist, whose (dead?) wife is Marion Cotillard, who holds a knife and an avocado, a sure way to indicate she'll die. Protagonist has a sidekick, an actress whose name (I think) I know but can't remember. There's a lot of driving and shooting, for some reason. I liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt's dream scenes in the way it realistically portrayed the way your vestibular system affects your dreams.

And Michael Cane is in it (not a good sign), but (predictably) does not play any meaningful role, except to introduce sidekick to protagonist.

EDIT: Ken Watanabe, I think? And seriously, cutting avocados is the simplest thing. I was amazed when I heard of "avocado cuts". The actor that portrayed the guy they were torturing also seems familiar.

EDIT2: moving this here, sorry, missed it.

EDIT3: I initially posted this in a separate thread before I noticed this one.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2022, 12:51 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2596 on: 06 Mar 2022, 13:37 »

I liked it for being intricate and conceptual.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2597 on: 06 Mar 2022, 16:39 »

"I liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt's dream scenes in the way it realistically portrayed the way your vestibular system affects your dreams." -- that was not sarcastic.

EDIT: It's probably the only thing I liked about the film. EDIT2: That, and old Ken Watanabe in the epilogue.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2022, 00:13 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2598 on: 14 Mar 2022, 06:48 »

I liked it for being intricate and conceptual.

Not to mention inceptual

dutchrvl

« Reply #2599 on: 14 Mar 2022, 06:54 »

Saw the Adam Project yesterday on Netflix, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Is it a masterpiece and/or have groundbreaking concepts? Certainly not.

But the actors (Reynolds, Ruffalo, Keener, Garner, Saldana, and Walker Scobell as a new and promising child-actor) are likeable and do a fine job. The movie is zippy without much in the way of filler scenes, and they don't feel the need to overdo it in terms of exposition. It's 1h45m and that's enough.

Great popcorn film!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53   Go Up