Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 26 Jun 2022, 20:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 379370 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2600 on: 19 Mar 2022, 18:12 »

Finally watched No Way Home now that it's on digital and I enjoyed it. Sucks that I couldn't rent and now own it, but what're you gonna do.

It was a pretty solid Spider-Man movie and definitely the best Tom Holland one so far. I cried like a little baby,
(click to show/hide)

It's interesting that
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2022, 18:38 by Blue Kitty »

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2601 on: 27 Apr 2022, 14:03 »

Watched Matrix 4 on the plane and honestly I thought it wasn't that bad at all. Quite enjoyable even and an interesting continuation of what happened in the prior 3 movies. Thought it was better than Matrix 3 for sure, possibly also Matrix 2.

Also saw the Big Sick, which I thought was awesome.

Lastly, also saw No Way Home, which was a little underwhelming. Perhaps I went in with too high expectations based on the generally rave reviews of it. Enjoyable, sure, but by no means one that stood out to me. Plus the premise of the ending seems fundamentally flawed to me, but that's probably just me.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2602 on: 06 May 2022, 05:15 »

Finally watched Pacific Rim: Uprising

It was an okay movie, and nowhere near as bad as some people tried to make it out to be. Some of the plot points were actually interesting and new(ish). Though, the sticking point for me was [major character from 1st movie]'s death was wholly unnecessary and contributed nothing to the plot.

It was also nice hearing 'aim for the eyes' in a monster movie for once.
[I literally titled my tumblr blog that and made that complaint my 3rd post back in 2011.]
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2603 on: 06 May 2022, 05:31 »

Watched the new Batman recently.

Best live-action Batman in my subjective opinion. It's dark, but compelling, and it's not dark in the sense of being depressing. It's still a comic book movie. I personally prefer it to any movie from the Nolan trilogy, including the second one (which I consider the only really good movie in that trilogy, even though I have a soft spot for "Dark Knight Rises" as well).

Visually, the movie is very interesting. It's dark but not undecipherable. The shot compositions are evocative of comic book panels for most of the runtime, but the film is not pretentious and doesn't draw too much attention to its visual style. The casting is honestly near-perfect for almost every role. The dialogue is well-written, the pacing is handled *extremely* well, the movie feels so much shorter than its actual runtime.

It's also a good detective story, which is rare for non-animated Batman movies.

I have some minor nitpicks about the last few scenes, but honestly this movie is as close to a perfect superhero movie as they come, at least in it wants to achieve. It's probably in my top 10 best superhero movies ever, and probably my single favourite superhero movie that goes for an unapologetic dark tone (I don't usually like those that much).

I highly recommend it. Even to people who, like me, are mostly sick and tired of superhero films. 10/10, almost no complaints.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2604 on: 20 May 2022, 18:07 »

I didn't just watch this, but Margaret Pomeranz did, and this kind of review is just one reason why I love her so much.

Margaret Pomeranz reviews Byron Baes, on Netflix.

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2605 on: 30 May 2022, 18:06 »

Just watched Sonic 2.

SO MANY EASTER EGGS!!!!

It's wonderful seeing fans of a franchise being the ones making it.
From the buzzbombers to the Labyrinth Zone to Colleen O'Shaughnessey straight up voicing Tails (she's voice acted him in the games for some time) to even references to Sonic Heroes, it was a great! And the plot and writing was pretty decent too.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]   Go Up