THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 20:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 397107 times)

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1500 on: 10 Jan 2020, 15:27 »

'Middletown Dreams' by Rush. Found myself seeking out this comic after hearing that Neil Peart died, as it's hit me pretty hard: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2439

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1501 on: 15 Jan 2020, 10:46 »

Been playing Pokemon Sword and Shield and I really like the soundtrack. The Gym battle one is great but I am really digging the Wild Area 2 music. I went Female in the game, which the fans dubbed Scottish Pokemon Lass, and when adventuring in the Wild Area these bagpipes in the song hit me and made it seemed so thematic!

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1502 on: 16 Jan 2020, 02:24 »

Been playing Pokemon Sword and Shield and I really like the soundtrack. The Gym battle one is great but I am really digging the Wild Area 2 music. I went Female in the game, which the fans dubbed Scottish Pokemon Lass, and when adventuring in the Wild Area these bagpipes in the song hit me and made it seemed so thematic!

Not bad... :)
Like the fact that they've incorporated some "bendy" notes!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1503 on: 16 Jan 2020, 08:04 »

I don't know why this earworm was in my notifications, but after I finally got Aviators' Traveler's Song out of my head this one took up residence.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #1504 on: 24 Jan 2020, 03:44 »

My old flatmate referred me to Hiromi and her take of Pachelbel's canon:

She is obviously having so much fun, and the smile is contagious. Also, I have been wondering how jazz pianists get that broken metallic tune out of a well-tuned grand piano. I did know about the trick of stuffing towels in there to get staccato for one half of the range (seen it done in a concert), but this had me stymied. More difficult to get the effect on a regular piano with vertical strings, I suppose?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1505 on: 24 Jan 2020, 05:03 »

You see her arranging thin metal rods on the strings at the start. which buzz when the strings under them are played.  Obviously this can't be done on an upright; though in the early nineteenth century some upright pianos had a mechanism to rest light parchment or metal flaps against the strings.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #1506 on: 24 Jan 2020, 07:39 »

Should have read: "... I HAD been wondering how they get that metallic ..." Sorry about sloppy proofreading. Anyway, it's a neat trick.

More tricks by Hiromi and her teacher Chick Corea in this video.

I got more interested. Undoubtedly P.W. Hodges would have known all this already. The umbrella concept is that of a prepared piano. It is used in classical music also. According to youtube commenters the piano effects on Arvo Pärt's Tabula Rasa require extra screws between the strings. Check out the second part (starting at about 10:30)
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2020, 00:44 by Skewbrow »

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #1507 on: 24 Jan 2020, 08:46 »

My old flatmate referred me to Hiromi and her take of Pachelbel's canon:

She is obviously having so much fun, and the smile is contagious.

Hiromi Uehara is such a joy to watch and hear. I must go see her, if she ever brings her neck into my woods.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1508 on: 27 Jan 2020, 10:41 »

I noticed today that one of the fugues in my Mozart collection has a rather peculiar title.  : "Leck mich im Arsch" - Canon in B flat for 6 Voices

I believe that translates, more or less, as "Lick My Ass."  And this is a vocal piece, so he had an entire choir singing it!

This makes me wonder mightily what the circumstances were under which Mozart wrote this, and who that message was intended for.  Was it, as it would be in the modern era, an insult, or was this intended, in the outrageous-ranging-to-socially-clueless style Mozart was famous for, as a literal and heartfelt entreaty to an object of his affections?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1509 on: 27 Jan 2020, 19:34 »

He was simply a fan of scatological humour. His private familial correspondence is filled with it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #1510 on: 02 Feb 2020, 17:41 »

Anybody else think this sounds better in the 1940s style?
a real-ass gaddam sword

oddtail

« Reply #1511 on: 25 Feb 2020, 03:14 »

Started listening to Billie Eilish. Mostly because I heard the name enough times that I actually recognise it. I was like Captain America's "hey, I understood that reference" in how I was proud to be even vaguely aware of what people were talking about.

After a few songs, I actually rather like the music! This is the first time when I like a currently popular artist - or even am more than vaguely AWARE of a popular artist - since about Lady Gaga.

Gyrre

« Reply #1512 on: 26 Feb 2020, 03:30 »

Started listening to Billie Eilish. Mostly because I heard the name enough times that I actually recognise it. I was like Captain America's "hey, I understood that reference" in how I was proud to be even vaguely aware of what people were talking about.

After a few songs, I actually rather like the music! This is the first time when I like a currently popular artist - or even am more than vaguely AWARE of a popular artist - since about Lady Gaga.
Billie Eilish, you say?

a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #1513 on: 04 Mar 2020, 05:28 »

Screw it. Double post be damned.
There's a solo piano album of Hollow Knight music out now and you can order the sheet music too.
https://bandcamp.materiacollective.com/album/hollow-knight-piano-collections
a real-ass gaddam sword

cybersmurf

« Reply #1514 on: 10 Mar 2020, 03:40 »

I noticed today that one of the fugues in my Mozart collection has a rather peculiar title.  : "Leck mich im Arsch" - Canon in B flat for 6 Voices

I believe that translates, more or less, as "Lick My Ass."  And this is a vocal piece, so he had an entire choir singing it!

This makes me wonder mightily what the circumstances were under which Mozart wrote this, and who that message was intended for.  Was it, as it would be in the modern era, an insult, or was this intended, in the outrageous-ranging-to-socially-clueless style Mozart was famous for, as a literal and heartfelt entreaty to an object of his affections?

Sorry for basically exhumating this, just stumbled over this. "Leck mich im Arsch" literally translates as "Lick in my ass", opposed to the "currently" used "Leck mich am Arsch" (lick my ass).

AFAIK Mozart is known to be somewhat of a troll though, so I guess a lot of his works are to be seen/heard with a pinch of humour.

Weird thing is: I can't listen to practically all of that generation's so called music, with the exception of Billie Eilish, to an extent. Some of the things she does are good, and there's a lot of potential, but mainly I'm getting Too Old For This Sh*t™.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #1515 on: 11 Mar 2020, 01:45 »

Try this one, cybersmurf.
They have a sample of tap dancing in a few parts starting about halfway in.

a real-ass gaddam sword

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1516 on: 30 Mar 2020, 19:16 »

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gyrre

« Reply #1517 on: 04 Apr 2020, 07:34 »

There's some pretty great synthwave stuff on YT these days.

a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1519 on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:43 »

"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

« Reply #1520 on: 07 May 2020, 05:30 »

Huhn.
I figured there'd be a lot more posts in here with the stay-at-home orders in effect.

Anyways. Here's a really good Ghibli style orchestration of the music in Your Lie in April.
This guy also does orchestrated versions of bubbly electronic pop music and even has a Ghibli-esque version of the song Sweden from MineCraft.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1521 on: 07 May 2020, 19:27 »

Huhn.
I figured there'd be a lot more posts in here with the stay-at-home orders in effect.

Anyways. Here's a really good Ghibli style orchestration of the music in Your Lie in April.
I've studied enough Japanese to know that "watashi no uso" means "MY lie" not "your lie".

"Your lie" would be "anata no uso" or "kimi no uso". Am I wrong?
stePH
--

Gyrre

« Reply #1522 on: 08 May 2020, 00:39 »

Huhn.

I've studied enough Japanese to know that "watashi no uso" means "MY lie" not "your lie".

"Your lie" would be "anata no uso" or "kimi no uso". Am I wrong?
*shrugs*
I think it's one of those odd localization choices? I don't speak Japanese.
a real-ass gaddam sword

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1523 on: 08 May 2020, 04:00 »

The Japanese title of both manga and anime is 四月は君の嘘 (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso), so the translation is correct for the name of the work as a whole.

私の嘘 (Watashi no uso) is title of the last piece on the second OST album, so you can read the title on the YouTube clip as "My Lie from Your Lie in April".
« Last Edit: 08 May 2020, 07:48 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Morituri

« Reply #1524 on: 13 May 2020, 20:33 »

In observance of the "shelter in place" order.....

I kid.  I'm not really vegetating.  Today I cleaned out the garage.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1525 on: 14 May 2020, 00:33 »

Maybe of interest to pwhodges...

Hilda-thon! Six hours of the music of Hildegard von Bingen

Hildegard von Bingen was a Renaissance woman before the Renaissance. Born over 900 years ago, Hildegard spent most of her life cloistered at the Disibodenbeg monastery in the Rhinelands. In 1136, at the age of 38, she was appointed prioress and started writing music for her nuns to sing as part of the Divine Office. Disarmingly beautiful, these antiphons, responses, sequences and hymns are unlikely to have been heard outside of her convent during her lifetime. They were recorded in her collection of music and poetry, Symphonia Armonie Celestium Revelationum, along with her liturgical drama Ordo Virtutum on the subject of the struggle between 17 Virtues and the Devil over the destiny of the female soul.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1526 on: 14 May 2020, 15:32 »

Yes, I'm in a mood, why do you ask?

"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1527 on: 14 May 2020, 20:55 »

I appreciate Talking Heads even more these days.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1528 on: 15 May 2020, 09:05 »

I appreciate Talking Heads even more these days.

Stop Making Sense is one of the all-time great concert films.
stePH
--

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1529 on: 15 May 2020, 16:02 »

It's also a much more fun album than any of their albums.

That record fucking slaps, man. The version of 'Burning Down the House'? Fuck!

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1530 on: 16 May 2020, 07:12 »

While I am well-aware that Ms. Galás originally performed this in response to the AIDS pandemic, I do think that it's fitting in these times.

Tova

• coprophage

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1532 on: 02 Jul 2020, 20:02 »

Who'm I gonna stick my dick in?

[The Moldy Peaches - "Steak for Chicken"]
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2020, 21:16 by Theta9 »
stePH
--

Gyrre

« Reply #1533 on: 02 Jul 2020, 20:18 »

Daft Punk and Smash Mouth mashup.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1534 on: 20 Jul 2020, 04:17 »

Despair and Deception, Love's ugly little twins
Came a-knocking on my door, I let them in
Darling, you're the punishment for all of my former sins
I let love in
I let love in

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1535 on: 23 Jul 2020, 18:13 »

I was just listening/watching Melissa Ferric live over the internets, and it moved me to to tears.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1536 on: 23 Jul 2020, 19:18 »

The flood it is gathering
Soon it will move
Across every valley
Against every roof
The body will drown
And the soul will break loose
I write all this down
But I don't have the proof

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1537 on: 24 Jul 2020, 15:31 »

Despair and Deception, Love's ugly little twins
Came a-knocking on my door, I let them in
Darling, you're the punishment for all of my former sins
I let love in
I let love in

So if you're alone and hear a knocking at your door
And the air's full of promises
Buddy
You've been warned

A great song from what I think is probably my favourite Nick Cave album. Goddamn it's good... might have to listen to it tomorrow while I tidy the house.

So I have finally started to embrace having a Spotify account, giving a listen to as much stuff as I can that I either had never heard of or that I had heard of but never listened to.

It's been revelatory. Some classic albums haven't held up to me that well, but some of them have kicked my brain open to stuff that I wish I'd been listening to my whole life.

Artists that were 100% new to my ears just recently:
- The Sonics - Here Are the Sonics - Fred Smith from his band went on to form the MC5, a favourite of mine. This album is punk before punk, it's rawkous, loud rock'n'roll that does not give a shit about audio fidelity or much else. An absolute riot.

- Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum - Heavy but dated as absolute shit. Couldn't give it a second spin.

- Deep Purple - Machine Head - I think it is going to be a real issue for me to take most of these 70s rock acts seriously, with their WOMANNNNNNNNNN type lyrics and wailing and shit. Great guitar wanking, though. This album has 'Highway Star' on it, too, which is simply an unstoppably great song.

- Rush - 2112 - Most of this is everything that I hate about prog. The segments of the long, long songs don't feel to me like parts of the same whole and don't feel like they have enough transitions. Geddy Lee has some pipes on him, though. The shorter tunes, like 'Twilight Zone,' I liked a lot more. Coheed and Cambria lifted this sound almost wholesale, didn't they?

- The Cars - The Cars - man, I really, really expected to love this and I just didn't. Not even the big singles.

- Pentangle - Basket of Light - Worth it for Danny Thompson's bass playing alone.

- The United States of America - The United States of America - This is goddamn commie music. I need to give it a few more listens, but from the title downwards 'I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar' is very biting, and quite ahead of its time even for the 60s.

- Dead Kennedies - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - I can't believe it took me this long to listen to this. I needed this album. This is an album that comforted me with its sheer, scattergun hatred - 'Kill the Poor,' 'Holiday in Cambodia,' 'Let's Lynch the Landlord' and especially the ludicrous cover of 'Viva Las Vegas'? Sign me the fuck up.

- Slayer - Reign in Blood - Another one of those albums that I always knew was a classic, but didn't realise how much it deserved it. Title track is an absolute beast, 'Angel of Death' is great too. I will say I feel like the lead vocalist is a bit of a dead ringer for Hetfield, is that just what 80s thrash singers all fucking sound like?

- Meat Puppets - II - I'm gonna be honest, the more I delve into Kurt Cobain's favourite albums the more I appreciate his taste. When it came to rock and punk he had an eye for my kind of weird. Filter bluegrass through hardcore and you basically get Meat Puppets II - he infamous covered three of their songs for the Nirvana Unplugged show, and they are the three best songs on the album, but even with those three songs known to you this record will surprise you if you've not heard it before. Recommended.

- Living Colour - Vivid - I don't think there are many bands on Earth that could follow 'Cult of Personality' as an opener with anything that could match it. 'Glamour Boys' I think I quite like but I can't decide if it's problematic?

- The Replacements - Let it Be - I'd been building up to listening to this band for many years, and I am so glad I did. This is another classic punk record, by turns stupid and profound. Also features the ridiculously ahead of its time 'Androgynous', a song about a non-gender-conforming couple ('He may be a father but he sure ain't a dad') and makes references to how one day things like urinals will be laughed at by humanity the way the two of them are laughed at now. Honestly, that one song has guaranteed that I will listen to the rest of their catalogue now.

- Frank Black - Teenager of the Year - This is a long, long album, but don't worry; if one of the songs bores you, it'll be over in two minutes and the next one will sound totally different. Shoutout for 'Headache,' simply because headaches suck and it's about time someone wrote a song about that

- Elliott Smith, generally - This guy should be in my DNA. Can't believe it took me this long to believe Patrick that I should listen to him. This guy is so much of a musical kindred spirit to me that I think listening to my music, you wouldn't believe that I had only just listened to him recently.

- Liam Gallagher's solo records - These are by no means great. They're not even that good. If you want lyrical insight then Liam Gallagher and some paid co-writers are not the people you want. But they're fun, low-stakes and a good ol' listen, especially if like me you actually enjoy Oasis still.

- The La's - The La's - Why yes, I too have heard The Beatles. A spectacular record of pop gems but zero original thoughts in its head.

- The Undertones - Honestly, I love The Buzzcocks, but I think the Undertones might actually leave them standing. What a band. Pop-punk in its purest form, even down to songs about Mars bars. What a shame most people only know 'Teenage Kicks.'

- Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime - Such an influential record on the more complex post-hardcore releases, somehow a massive singalong despite being all twisty atonal riffs. A fucking masterpiece. Wish I'd heard it sooner.

- The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps - Actually kinda disappointing; if you thought Frank Black hopped genres often, this album pulls that trick multiple times per song. Unfortunately I think that means it has no real character of its own. Some great songs on here - 'Lazarus,' 'Best Lose the Fear,' - but I don't know how any of it can be pinned down as being the vision of any one artist.

- Spiderland - Slint - I can't believe that in this forum's Bad Old Days that people were actually letting this album be in the discussion for the greatest album ever made. I think I was six songs in before I noticed music was happening.

- American Music Club - California - Sad, airy, beautiful country-rock. Cannot recommend it highly enough if you're sad and overheated and want some company.

- Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking - Massively disappointing, remember nothing else about it.

- American Football - All three of these albums, particularly their third, have become lifesaving for me of late. The song 'Home is Where the Haunt is'... I wish I'd had that one a few years ago, I tell you what.

- Currently listening to John Mayall's Blues Breakers featuring Eric Clapton and I am exactly as bored as I expected to be

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1538 on: 24 Jul 2020, 17:03 »

Thanks for leaving that list, because I am now going to go back and listen to at least a few of these. But for now I wanted to post my immediate and enthusiastic agreement with this.

- Pentangle - Basket of Light - Worth it for Danny Thompson's bass playing alone.

YES

Gyrre

« Reply #1539 on: 28 Jul 2020, 04:15 »

The soundtrack for Transistor is great!
a real-ass gaddam sword

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1540 on: 28 Jul 2020, 11:31 »

- Deep Purple - Machine Head - I think it is going to be a real issue for me to take most of these 70s rock acts seriously, with their WOMANNNNNNNNNN type lyrics and wailing and shit. Great guitar wanking, though. This album has 'Highway Star' on it, too, which is simply an unstoppably great song.
I like this version even better:
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1541 on: 28 Jul 2020, 11:33 »

Follow up: the first Metal Church record is on my short list of perfect albums - all killer, no filler.

Here's the opener, "Beyond the Black".

stePH
--

Gyrre

« Reply #1542 on: 04 Aug 2020, 04:42 »

Anybody know what genre(s) this is? Pop feels a bit too catch-all in this instance.

EDIT: Apparently it's called folk-hop.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2020, 23:26 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #1543 on: 24 Aug 2020, 13:29 »

Maybe of interest to pwhodges...

Hilda-thon! Six hours of the music of Hildegard von Bingen

Hildegard von Bingen was a Renaissance woman before the Renaissance. Born over 900 years ago, Hildegard spent most of her life cloistered at the Disibodenbeg monastery in the Rhinelands. In 1136, at the age of 38, she was appointed prioress and started writing music for her nuns to sing as part of the Divine Office. Disarmingly beautiful, these antiphons, responses, sequences and hymns are unlikely to have been heard outside of her convent during her lifetime. They were recorded in her collection of music and poetry, Symphonia Armonie Celestium Revelationum, along with her liturgical drama Ordo Virtutum on the subject of the struggle between 17 Virtues and the Devil over the destiny of the female soul.

Lovely!

Pandemic measures forced the local jazz club to go to the internet. So I attended a streamed concert of a jazz piano trio also covering Gesualdo. Late renaissance, but anyway.

Attached please find their YT recording from '19.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2020, 01:16 by Skewbrow »

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #1544 on: 24 Aug 2020, 13:52 »

Speaking of combining Renaissance and Jazz I should not pass The Hilliard Ensemble joining forces with Jan Garbarek

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1545 on: 25 Aug 2020, 18:31 »

I've been listening to that great pioneer of electronic music, Wendy Carlos.

Somebody aggressively polices YouTube and scrubs her work from it, so I have no links to share. But I've been grooving to her Switched-On Bach albums, and her Sonic Seasonings album which may be the first instance of ambient music (before Brian Eno even!)

It's quite provoking that her records are all out of print and fetch ludicrous prices on the used market. The only thing I can stream is the soundtrack to the movie Tron.
stePH
--

Morituri

« Reply #1546 on: 26 Aug 2020, 18:00 »

Hildegard vong Blingin'  is a modern artist, but I'm loving what she does with the fusion of ancient and modern styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugqQlB5fpuc&list=UUJ_jwWjf8u5mdtac71Be8QA&index=1

The dialect of English she uses is more 1700s than 900s but to be fair, what was spoken in the 900s, 3 centuries before Chaucer, we wouldn't even recognize as English.

Listening to this is an experience for me, because although there are several other artists doing "Bard Core" as they call it, most are handling the language in a kind of slapdash approximate style Americans have probably heard at Rennaissance Festivals from actors who don't actually know that dialect trying to fake it.  But Hildegard in particular is writing lyrics in approximately the same dialect my grandparents spoke (deliberately fossilized in 1693). It even has a few of the same errors/differences/colloquialisms, which makes me wonder whether the artist may also have had Amish grandparents, or even closer connection to that tradition.

They have a strong tradition of absolutely beautiful a capella singing which they flatly refuse to record.  And this ... isn't that, for several reasons.  She has instrumental accompaniment, performs vocal solos instead of choral parts, and sings insistently secular lyrics.  But there's a very precise kind of control of breath and tone that's either from that tradition or from formal training in a very particular matching style.

I think of them from time to time, but to that community I am now an Auslaender.  I have cousins whom I will never meet.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1547 on: 31 Aug 2020, 19:44 »

honestly, I'm watching competition drum corps from 2019.
My kid is the one in the blue, and I'm in yellow in the stands.

https://youtu.be/pkHysWmNcks

...for a behind the scenes view and to get a real appreciation of the effort expended...
https://youtu.be/lZvUChF-OZ8

And I'm clearly visible from 11:51 - 12:02....I hadn't realized how visible that shirt really is.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2020, 20:09 by Grognard »
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Gyrre

« Reply #1548 on: 08 Sep 2020, 23:33 »

Peter Pringle

This first one is him performing Namárië (Galadriel's Lament) from J.R.R. Tolkien's Silmarillion played on the cristal baschet. I honestly don't blame anyone who's not into it.

Here's him performing the Hurrian Hymn to Nikal. A song from 1400 B.C.  It's appropriately haunting.

a real-ass gaddam sword

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1549 on: 14 Sep 2020, 14:05 »

So having been resistant to Spotify for ages due to feeling like it would kill the fun of physical ownership, I realised the real new fun was in finding genuinely rare shit that isn't on there.

The KLF were/are a music act/art project/crime wave in the mid-late 80s to the early 90s, and their career culminated in the early 90s in their deleting their entire catalogue in the UK.

As such I've got my local vinyl place keeping an eye out for anything by them, and he just recently got in something super rare - their first album, an album so rare it's actually illegal.

Why is it illegal, might you ask? Well, the world of sampling was still pretty new in the 80s due to how recently the technology entered the mainstream, so one of the singles trailing the album itself was this.

You may be thinking two things - firstly, this barely even qualifies as music. You are correct. The closest comparison I have to the experience of the listening to the album itself is the greatest pop music festival of all time, but taking place in Hell - assuming, that is, that Hell is a rap label in Scotland.

Secondly, yes, that is an enormous Beatles sample, and no, they did not in any way seek permission for this sample. The album is made up almost entirely of samples that were not cleared, featuring some of the most infamously litigious music acts of all time (not just the Beatles, but also Zeppelin and ABBA, as well as loads of others). The famous possibly untrue story is that they flew to Europe to find ABBA in order to convince them, failed to do so and chucked the remaining copies of the album overboard.

It's brilliant and terrible at the same time, I really don't know what to think of it - their properly acclaimed work came not long after, but this is now by a wide margin the rarest record I own and whether or not it's listenable is kind of immaterial to me. I'm into a new phase of music listening and it's a weird place to be :psyduck:
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34   Go Up