"You have to be CRAZY to work here!"
- 3 (4.9%)
Fournier-Goldman Happiness Units!
- 4 (6.6%)
Spathe Ham!
- 28 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2126-2130 (20-24 Feburary 2012) QC in SPAAAAAAACE! Week 5  (Read 49099 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Decided to go with a TV theme this week for the first poll.

Five weeks in space makes you wonder what's happening dirt-side...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's probably been 16 hours or so since they left Earth, tops.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If we don't get some backstory here, Jeph's missing a golden opportunity for it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

Question: Would a dog dislike space because of the vacuum?

:-D

Bouncing on from the last thread (since I didn't read it the the last couple strips), intercranial communication puts me in mind of the Vatta's War series, where they stuffed not only a communicator, but a few tera or petabytes of storage and some other goodies into a skull implant, with plenty of examination of the implications of all that psychologically.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2012, 23:18 by Westrim »

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

butts.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Well, you wanted to know what was going on while they were away - now you do!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Why is Dora wearing a wedding dress in panel 2?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Dora marries Jim, and is providing her own wedding breakfast - at which Jim's dark secret comes out...

also:
Quote from: Jeph
I was really tempted to have panel four just say "THE END" and do a week of Yelling Bird strips.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Dadum dum dadum
Dadum dum dadum
Dadum dum dadum

Quote from: akronnick

Because she was marrying Faye?

:-P
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Dadum dum dadum
Dadum dum dadum
Dadum dum dadum

Then why wasn't Faye wearing a wedding dress?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Dadum dum dadum
Dadum dum dadum
Dadum dum dadum

Then why wasn't Faye wearing a wedding dress?

Beca;use her Tuz was in the building the P1000 just wrecked - She was running a little late
James The Kugai 

westrim

:psyduck: Awesommmeee... *drools, wipes mouth* I think small arms aficionados would probably be quite impressed by that P-90. I'm guessing he pulled up reference photos.

I'm trying to imagine what the other characters are doing in such a situation. Sven is hiding behind his intern while she fights off robot hordes and yells at him to reload, Wil and Pen are on a motorcycle doing... something badass, Tai turns out to be an actual fighter (pilot), Steve has met up with that Russian woman and they're storming the White House to save the president and... I need to stop.

calmcalamity

• Plantmonster

:psyduck: Awesommmeee... *drools, wipes mouth* I think small arms aficionados would probably be quite impressed by that P-90. I'm guessing he pulled up reference photos.

I'm trying to imagine what the other characters are doing in such a situation. Sven is hiding behind his intern while she fights off robot hordes and yells at him to reload, Wil and Pen are on a motorcycle doing... something badass, Tai turns out to be an actual fighter (pilot), Steve has met up with that Russian woman and they're storming the White House to save the president and... I need to stop.

Ditto on the P-90, I'd like to imagine that Jeph, like ourselves, spends entire nights reading up on weapons and such on Wikipedia and scours the web for the newest Boston Dynamics video.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Dora is looking especially fine today.

Also... Pintsize participating in a conversation without making dick-jokes? NOW I've seen everything.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I first thought she was dressed as a French Revolutionary or something. Which was no less explainable, yet somehow also oddly appropriate.

The world is saved by the espressosaur, who teleports onto Pintsize's shoulder and poops coffee into his circuits.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Dora seems to be carrying one of these babies. Has anyone identified Faye's weapon of choice? Ok, see Westrim's post above  :-)
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

This would actually be an even more awesome side story..

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic #2126...

1. It took me a while to realize that the "apocalypse 'bot" was supposed to be Pintsize.  His oversized grin (which looked more like a cyclops eye since Pintsize's eyes are so small in that shot) and horns, as well as the chest "reactor" light, threw me off.

2. Ah FN P90's...  Mostly popularized by Stargate SG-1, but an excellent & efficient weapon in of itself.  Also surprisingly but less well-known, the P90's design was one of the important pioneers in the field of Ergonomics (Who would have thought, right?).

3. Art- & gun-wise, you CAN tell that Faye is low on ammo in her 50-bullet magazine.  FN P90s feature a clear hard-plastic magazine-clip that lays atop the rifle so the user can easily see and keep track.  Excellent art-detailing on Jeph's part there.   :)

4. I think I would have liked to see Faye dressed in some sort of body armor, or something equally outrageous as Dora (like a 2-piece bikini or D&D-style female chainmail :evil: ), but that is a minor point.  Regardless, Faye looks great in panel #2.

5. Good old M72 LAW rockets.  Those and its brother weapon, the M79 grenade launcher, will not go out of style for many decades, if not generations, yet to come.

6. And Hot Damn... Dora looks awesome in a strapless, shoulders-free, wedding dress.

7. It also looks like Dora has reverted back to her "traditional" Marten-similar hair-style.  Which is a pity for me, for I really  liked the slightly longer black hair-style with the lock across her face previously.  I had hoped that would be the new "default" Dora black hair.  [P.S. Edit Add: This is the previous Dora hair-style what I am referring to.]

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2021, 20:58 by pendrake »

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse

I didn't realise it was Pintsize until you pointed it out.  :psyduck:

But yeah, this comic is pretty awesome.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Cosette is in the fetal position, muttering "ohgoditshappeningagain."

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Holy shit this artwork is fucking awesome!

My mind, she is blown. :-o

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

On the subject of Stargate, if I recall correctly, they regularly use portable launchers like the one Dora is toting.
Looks like Jeph is a gater, alright...
Signature OF DOOM!

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.

Loving the explosions today, when I saw the first panel this morning I thought 'oh s**t, the station's blown up!'

also, how strong a barricade is the counter? if most of the shop has disintegrated (including the espresso machine) why is the counter unaffected? is it made of granite?

as a side note, is anyone here bidding on Jeph's 'misprint' http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330689957296#ht_1007wt_60

So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Gee, Faye, you don't think they might notice that the town is still intact? :p

[Your horrific joke scenarios should be *just* this side of plausibility!]

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Absolutely awesome artwork, although I was somewhat suspecting the "twist" at the end.

The M72 I understand against the mecha (hopefully she waits til Pintsize is about 50m away before she shoots, because they're about as accurate as a groundhog weatherman), but a P90?  Thing uses pistol ammo!  There is a reason soldiers carry rifles....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Today's comic is the greatest QC comic ever.

I keep thinking "spinoff comic!!1", but I know it'll never happen :(
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

So, how many times have guns appeared n the strip now?  There's the strip where Hanners imagines her evil twin/clone, who's holding what ap[peared to be an Ingram M10.  Then there's the strip where Yelling Bird kills Randy mulitple times. 

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

From the first Ka-THOOOOOM, straight away, I heard a heavy metal Deathmole soundtrack.  How cliched is that. 
SQUEEZE BOX

Theyis

• Not quite a lurker

From the first Ka-THOOOOOM, straight away, I heard a heavy metal Deathmole soundtrack.  How cliched is that. 

Cliche, awesome... Potato, potahto...  :-)

Dogsbody

"You know, I can't think of nothing finer than a fine naked woman holding a gun." Yes, I know they're not naked but that's the quote I'm going with anyway. The P90  and LAWS really well done though I'm more of an M4 kind of guy. I can certainly appreciate the SG homage. As to the efficacy of the counter's protection, it was good enough for Bruce Willis in Fifth Element.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

The M72 I understand against the mecha (hopefully she waits til Pintsize is about 50m away before she shoots, because they're about as accurate as a groundhog weatherman), but a P90?  Thing uses pistol ammo!  There is a reason soldiers carry rifles....

My limited training with M72 consisted of a few rules of thumb about taking the distance and the speed of the target into account, and the advice: "This is a single shot. If you fire this against an enemy tank and miss, your life expectancy is in seconds. You just told them where you are, and they have been trained to anticipate your escape route, so shrapnels will seal your fate, if they don't kill you on the spot." So an M72 is a single shot in several ways. But also any idiot like me can be trained to use it in five minutes, it doesn't weigh much et cetera.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

westrim

Also, how strong a barricade is the counter? if most of the shop has disintegrated (including the espresso machine) why is the counter unaffected? is it made of granite?

The counter is made of curved titanium overlaid with more countery materials. It cuts down on storage space a bit, but Dora figured it was a fair trade.

The M72 I understand against the mecha (hopefully she waits til Pintsize is about 50m away before she shoots, because they're about as accurate as a groundhog weatherman), but a P90?  Thing uses pistol ammo!  There is a reason soldiers carry rifles....
Thing uses high velocity ammo designed for penetrating body armor, so hopefully UberPintsize is made of kevlar or has the same thin chassis as usual.

I really want to make a LAW related pun, but I keep flashing to the Judge Dredd movie and getting distracted.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Absolutely awesome artwork, although I was somewhat suspecting the "twist" at the end.

Sunday night was the first time I watched Jeph draw a comic strip, a true WTF experience and pure luck.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Hhahahaha poor girls, it must suck to have just a regular week while their friends are in friggin space.

NotsoAverageJoe

• Plantmonster

Also... Pintsize participating in a conversation without making dick-jokes? NOW I've seen everything.

he's laying low... they're joking, but we all know the robot apocalypse is already being planned... he doesn't want to blow his cover.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

I would have enjoyed the "the end" version with the yelling birds for the rest of the week. :)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

If we apply the logic of Kaiju and Super Sentai, the town/city is usually all re-built up and just completely fine upon the next episode/movie. And everybody speaks no word of said previous destruction.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

As for what the others are doing;

Faye and Dora are keeping the P1000 tied down and occupied while Hanners and her dad alter the settings on the Laser Cannon to 'Maximum Overkill', Marigolds running the target sensors and Marten, Lt. Potter and the Major hold the line against the Service Bots who have disabled Spaceship and Station because they're hardwired loyal to Hanners.     :-D
James The Kugai 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Maybe ... that's NOT Pintsize [c:/audio/soundFX/dundunDUN.mp3]
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Oh SG1 nostalgia with those P90s.  Love those babies!  But where are the Zat Guns!  :-PI got that it was pintsize form the beginning.  Who else could it be?

Though I'm surprised Jeph didn't go with some strange Voltron/Power Rangers superbot with Pintsize, Winslow, and Momo.

And agreed, Dora looks good in a wedding dress. 

Last panel, yea.  I miss longer haired Dora as well......And even more so, Marty/Dora. 

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

My limited training with M72 consisted of a few rules of thumb about taking the distance and the speed of the target into account, and the advice: "This is a single shot. If you fire this against an enemy tank and miss, your life expectancy is in seconds. You just told them where you are, and they have been trained to anticipate your escape route, so shrapnels will seal your fate, if they don't kill you on the spot." So an M72 is a single shot in several ways. But also any idiot like me can be trained to use it in five minutes, it doesn't weigh much et cetera.

5 Minutes?!?  There are pictures showing how to use it printed on the tube....

But the rest of it is accurate - this is why I am a gunner.  I don't have to be right there to contribute to the destruction....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Manix

• Balloon animal serial killer

As for what the others are doing;

Faye and Dora are keeping the P1000 tied down and occupied while Hanners and her dad alter the settings on the Laser Cannon to 'Maximum Overkill', Marigolds running the target sensors and Marten, Lt. Potter and the Major hold the line against the Service Bots who have disabled Spaceship and Station because they're hardwired loyal to Hanners.     :-D

And when all this fails, Angus drives up on a Harley with a mysterious package under his arm. He holds a hand down to Faye, and helps her up to it behidn him, and says "Come on babe. We got a world to save."

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference

"Who's bike is this?"

"Zed's."

"Zed's?"

"Zed's Dead baby."

/Bruce Willis into the sunset

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

If we apply the logic of Kaiju and Super Sentai, the town/city is usually all re-built up and just completely fine upon the next episode/movie. And everybody speaks no word of said previous destruction.
I can't find it at the moment, but there's a fic on the SCP site that tells of how the world has been obliterated several times, and rebuilt to exactly where it was before the destruction happened by the Foundation.  It was kind of a creepy story.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Musta pissed the Vogons off
James The Kugai 

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

I would have figured Faye to favor the LAW, and Dora the P90...  :-P
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.

The only thing i'd have liked to see better than Faye with the P90 would be Faye with a M134  :evil: . Now that would cut through Pintsize
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Why stop at an M-134? Too hard to store a GAU-8 behind the counter?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

westrim

Why stop at an M-134? Too hard to store a GAU-8 behind the counter?
Since it would BE the counter, yes.

For those unaware, a GAU-8 is the main gun of the A-10 aircraft, designed for killing tanks. It is, among other things, usually compared in size to a VW Bug.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If that's the counter, that would explain how the counter could offer effective cover.

I think I'm overanalyzing the joke.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up