"You have to be CRAZY to work here!"
- 3 (4.9%)
Fournier-Goldman Happiness Units!
- 4 (6.6%)
Spathe Ham!
- 28 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2126-2130 (20-24 Feburary 2012) QC in SPAAAAAAACE! Week 5  (Read 49097 times)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Fifty six? Life in orbit must be very ageing. Perhaps it's the cosmic rays.

I dunno, some people just go grey/white very fast. It's not unusual. His face doesn't look as old though so it's just the hair that makes him look older imo.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Oh god, I'm fan-fic-ing without even trying. 
Just stay calm and stay where you are. The men in the black helicopters will take good care of you. Unless you are also a Mary Sue in which case you'll go all ninja on them and be on the run until you find a place everyone loves you.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Quote from: Akima
aging

I bet he's led an unhealthful lifestyle in terms of sleep and diet.

Out of random curiosity, the UK spelling is "ageing", with "aging" being the correct one for the US. Is this a case where Australia uses the US variant?

Hannersibs: we know she's Beatrice's only child, but half-siblings are still possible though their existence would require Dr. Ellicott to have succeeded in reproducing with two different women.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Both Chambers and Oxford dictionaries give ageing and aging equal status, without comment.  There is a similar misconception over -ise and -ize.  Lotus Ami Pro word-processor offered two British English spell-check dictionaries to cover that one.  I rather suspect that the use of ossified spell-checking may be forcing a change in words like ageing/aging - "the computer must be right", you know.  At least one of my programs has an incorrect British spell checker that is convinced that words like traveller are wrong.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Hannersibs: we know she's Beatrice's only child, but half-siblings are still possible though their existence would require Dr. Ellicott to have succeeded in reproducing with two different women.

I confess having thought about writing a piece of fan-fic based on the revelation that Clinton is an illegitimate lovechild of Dr. Ellicott and Dr. Susan Calvin, currently a professor of robotics at UMass, and formerly Beatrice's roommate from college.

Then I realised that 1) I'm not enough of a writer to pull that off, 2) it would quickly become creepy.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.

I have to say that Susan Calvin and Beatrice share many personality traits though, maybe they did grow up together?
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference

This strip nailed it for me - Hanners' dad sounds like Doc Brown from BTTF.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Out of random curiosity, the UK spelling is "ageing", with "aging" being the correct one for the US. Is this a case where Australia uses the US variant?
Er... :?  I did spell the word "ageing":

My dictionaries give aging and ageing as alternatives without reference to US/British spelling. Modern Australian spelling is generally identical to British. The so-called variations listed in Wikipedia seem a bit dubious to me, in that they are all changes I have seen pretty frequently in modern British spelling too. The replacement with e of ae in mediaeval, primaeval etc., and oe in foetus, seem to be standard in BBC usage now, for example. I'm sure I've seen jail instead of gaol in British newspaper headlines too. The most obvious "American" usage in Australia is in the name of one of our main political parties, the Australian Labor Party, but that was adopted in 1912 under the influence of the American labour activist King O'Malley.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

StevenC

• Furry furrier

This strip nailed it for me - Hanners' dad sounds like Doc Brown from BTTF.
So I'm not the only one!

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

I'm FIFTY-SIX??? GREAT SCOTT!

:-D

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I find it hard to believe that in an age with AI's running rampant and casually ferrying people to space, there isn't a cure for aging. Which makes Hannerdad's reaction even more absurd!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I see the dramatic point for this arc;

This is the moment that Dr. E-C invents the process for full body cyborgs a la Ghost In The Shell

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

I find it hard to believe that in an age with AI's running rampant and casually ferrying people to space, there isn't a cure for aging. Which makes Hannerdad's reaction even more absurd!

Or he's got another century worth of plans/ideas/inventions he wants to enact/explore/create.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

This is disheartening. If anyone was able to beat mortality, either medically or cybernetically, it'd be him.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'm sorry: somehow I read "aging".

Maybe conquering death will be his next accomplishment?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

But it's hard, and he needs to do it before he dies, right?  Hence the hurry.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

But it's hard, and he needs to do it before he dies, right?  Hence the hurry.
But with his track record, conquering death should not take him more than a year, two tops.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Does Hannerdad know something about his life expectancy most folks don't know?

Jeph used the wrong window background for panel 2. Or the station is orbiting REALLY fast.

That change would  not result from orbiting. Remember that the station is spinning to great artificial gravity. The rate of spin is about 1RPM (or 2RPM, if the residents have adjusted to slightly higher Coriolis). At this instant the axis (and hence also the windows on this side of the station) is pointing towards Earth. If we assume 1RPM and 15 seconds between panels 1 and 2, then the scene would have rotated 90 degrees, which looks about right. If we assume 2RPM, then 7.5 seconds is enough. Agree that panels 3 and 4 don't match this.

The direction of the axis goes a full circle once per orbit. Notice how in the previous strip (presumably 10-15 minutes earlier) you could see the Earth's edge from the window indicating that the axis of the spin was not pointing straight down at that time.

Of course, there is no reason for Jeph's drawings to follow the laws of physics  :-)

Is this horse dead, yet?

So Babylon 5 lied to me?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So.

We pretty much all know what's gonna happen tomorrow, right?

Birthday party with a lot of awkward looks - but no Hannerdad.

And Marigold mowing down on Space Cake! (with the station security director)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

For some reason I had the impression that Hannelore was the result of a youthful mishap, perhaps in college (fanfic idea: Hannerdad and Hannermom, the college years), but he was 32-33 or so when she was conceived, well into her parents careers.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

So Babylon 5 lied to me?

I don't know. What happens there?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Spathe Cake!
Thy post is now repair'd.

(Woo, 1,100 posts, that's kind of significant I guess?  1,111 will be more fun, though.)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Doc's in a hurry to get that 30-year longitudial study on happiness started.  As it is, he'll be 86 when the results come in, and then there's the analysis and publication...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Maybe this belongs over in the spinning space station design thread, but I think the window, at least the one we can see in the cafeteria, is a view screen.

Also, dang, Hanners, you're a tough grader.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...I know the concept of "irrational integers" is a reference to something (fictional), but I can't think what.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2012, 23:42 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

The background scences. The rotation is slow and calculated.
Scale is important. B5 is supposed to be 5 miles long. So it is also, nearly 400m radius (1/2 mile diameter). The angular velocity to create 1g on the outermost rings of B5 is not visually all that fast.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

So Babylon 5 lied to me?

I had to view the clip a couple of times to see it on my dirty laptop display, but yeah... Here the size of the station matters. If the radius of the station is 1km, then 1RPM gives about 1 g of gravity. But for a bigger station a slower rotation suffices. If the radius is 4km, then ½ RPM gives 1 g. If the radius is 16 km or 10 miles, then one quarter of a turn per minute will do. Akima's spreadsheet will give you more significant figures.  :wink:

Edit: Ninja'ed by jmucchiello. But if B5 has a radius of only 400 m, then we need something like 1.6 RPM to get 1 g.

...I know the concept of "irrational integers" is a reference to something (fictional), but I can't think what.

Don't know about fictional, but most (in a certain sense) of the so called algebraic integers are irrational. </math_teacher>

Carl-E

• Awakened

Most birthdays are irrational, too! 

And Skewbrow, Most numbers  are irrational, but not any  integers

Edit:  Missed the algebraic part.  you are, of course, correct.  :D
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2012, 00:23 by Carl-E »

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Scale is important. B5 is supposed to be 5 miles long. So it is also, nearly 400m radius (1/2 mile diameter). The angular velocity to create 1g on the outermost rings of B5 is not visually all that fast.

So Babylon 5 lied to me?

I had to view the clip a couple of times to see it on my dirty laptop display, but yeah... Here the size of the station matters. If the radius of the station is 1km, then 1RPM gives about 1 g of gravity. But for a bigger station a slower rotation suffices. If the radius is 4km, then ½ RPM gives 1 g. If the radius is 16 km or 10 miles, then one quarter of a turn per minute will do. Akima's spreadsheet will give you more significant figures.  :wink:

Edit: Ninja'ed by jmucchiello. But if B5 has a radius of only 400 m, then we need something like 1.6 RPM to get 1 g.

Now it makes sense once I re-saw the Severed Dreams Battle.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Hannelore didn't list Winslow as one of her close friends! In 706 she told him "you keep me company", but has there ever been an emotionally close conversation like Dora has with her cat?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Me and my spreadsheet make it 1.48 RPM based on internet sources giving 840m as the external diameter with a 12m thick hull.

Irrational Numbers? Meh... I don't want to be negative, so I'll root for the Imaginary Numbers.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

So.

Tomorrow, weekend will happen.

And no QC at all.
Carpe Diem

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Me and my spreadsheet make it 1.48 RPM based on internet sources giving 840m as the external diameter with a 12m thick hull.

Calamity! My reputation for mental arithmetic is ruined. I used 1.6 as an approximation for the square root of (1km/400m), but that 1km was a crude approximation itself.

Damned be the accumulating round-off errors. :x

Conceding this round.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

[/quote]
So is 1.48 generating 1g on the floor of the 420m radius station or on the inside "surface" of the 432m radius of the station's hull?

Calculations? The irony of this is I pulled the 400m out my rear based on just mentally eyeballing the ratio of the station's length to its width/diameter. Using my mind's eye again, the rotation speed of B5 is probably around 40 seconds per rotation. Which is about 1.5 RPM, which matches. I impress myself for only being off by 32m on the diameter of 5 mile long CG object.

Of course the flaw with B5 is there should have been low gravity habitats. But they never showed them. Also, getting exactly 1g at 420m "depth" is silly, the habitat ring should have accommodated gravities over 1g for some people who are use to heavily homeworlds.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU

I just want to know if these are irrational integers based on birthdays, or integers based on irrational birthdays.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

I see the dramatic point for this arc;

This is the moment that Dr. E-C invents the process for full body cyborgs a la Ghost In The Shell

Oh, uh, wh— what space port was that E-C space plane flying out of? I need to see Hannerdad about... something.

Re; D&D print, aside from the fact that Pintsize is DMing, I have to wonder what Marigold's so dour about.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious

In panel 5, Marten is talking like Hanners.
WHAT IS GOIN ON HERE, GUYZ?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So.

Tomorrow, weekend will happen.

And no QC at all.

Please note I posted that THURSDAY morning, US time.
Just another Joe like 46

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Irrational Numbers? Meh... I don't want to be negative, so I'll root for the Imaginary Numbers.

i see what you did there

Math jokes...no, math PUNS...hoo boy...

= = =

So apparently psychohistory also exists in the QCverse as well (mathematical expressions of psychological states).

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2012, 13:42 by Throg »
SQUEEZE BOX

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

There's something floating around the net that says "The Tao of mathematics: the numbers you can count are not the real numbers".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Re; D&D print, aside from the fact that Pintsize is DMing, I have to wonder what Marigold's so dour about.
Marigold is in-character as a barbarian fighter (axe, animal-hide clothes). Grim and dour comes with the territory (the archetype is Conan The Barbarian, not Conan O'Brien). Meta-gamers need not apply.

kouper

I dunno, some people just go grey/white very fast. It's not unusual. His face doesn't look as old though so it's just the hair that makes him look older imo.

Im 28 and My goatee is already pretty salt and peppery, and the sides of my head as well. Some people have the unfortunate disposition to go grey far earlier than others. My mother's father was completely grey in his 30's, my father still has most of his color.....

I coulda swore I've posted before, been lurking here since right after the ability to create accounts was made far harder.... oh well, yay first post me?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I wonder if Hanners took the test and skipped over certain 'Adult' Topics the first time round

And if so, would she answer them now

Maybe

Maybe not
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

US$338 for a misprint of Volume 1 of Questionable Content?

And still 3 days to go.

The final bid was US$390.

Nearly Four Hundred Dollars for a mis-printed QC Volume 1.

The mind boggles.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened

Phsst!  Collectors. 

[checks his manhatten depression glass and notes the remaining pieces needed for a complete set]

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

There's something floating around the net that says "The Tao of mathematics: the numbers you can count are not the real numbers".

:-D I like that quote. Even though it is too open-to-interpretation to have a precise meaning. My take is that whoever said that meant that "the numbers you can count form a small minority among all the real numbers", but admittedly that is a dull way of putting it.

Edit: Should have said "... the numbers you can compute"
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2012, 23:45 by Skewbrow »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

The set of integers is  countably infinite.  The set of real numbers is uncountably infinite.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

True. What I was aiming at is that the set of computable numbers is also countably infinite, and hence a small minority among the real numbers. I should have foreseen the confusion that necessarily results from using "countable" and "computable" interchangably in a situation, where the correct interpretation of terms is meaningful, likely to happen, and contradicts with my intended meaning. Sorry about that.

So the tl; dr; version (math forces these upon us - otherwise confusion will arise). Most numbers cannot be computed. IOW it is impossible to write a computer program that would print out the decimals of that number. Even if we would allow the program to run from here to eternity (like a simple program printing out 1/3 would just endless keep on printing out more and more 3s in an endless loop). Or yet in other words: most real numbers exist only for the purpose of making the math playground complete and safe for the players.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Even though it is too open-to-interpretation to have a precise meaning.
What do you expect?:
"The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up