THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 19:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...Fuck.  (Read 4236 times)

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
...Fuck.
« on: 24 Feb 2012, 00:40 »

I think i may have virus on my pc cause its keeps freezing up every 30 seconds for one minutes at the time, but after about hour being on its smoothens out and works fine again.
do you guys know whats going on?  :psyduck:
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
Re: ...Fuck.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2012, 00:53 »

Not a clue, but a good first step is Malwarbytes free scanner: www.malwarebytes.org

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:13 »

After that: check what processes that's eating all your CPU and RAM, that'll help a lot to see what's happening. Open the task manager while it's freezing, and sort everything by CPU. Be sure to click the "show processes from all users" in the lower left corner". The bastard that's on the top there using 99% is usually the culprit. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like svchost or HP Wireless Controller.

And then defragment. Always defragment. (Computer -> right click hard drive -> properties -> tools -> defragment now -> read a book or go out drinking or something while the computer DOES IT'S THING). Repeat for each drive. That'll make your day happier.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:47 »

For anti-virus, I seriously recommend ESET NOD-32 as simply the best of all; they have an online scanner.  I have used this at work to diagnose and clean machines on which the AV we use there (Sophos, the university has a site licence, so it's free to us) had failed to detect anything.

This kind of behaviour doesn't need to be caused by a virus, though.  The first thing is to find out what process is doing it (which may show in task manager, but may also not be apparent there).  See if the problem occurs in safe mode; if not, try disabling the various things that run at a normal startup one by one until the problem is identified (run the program "msconfig" for an easy way to do this).

Your antivirus package may be doing its startup scan with a misconfiguration - try checking that, or even uninstalling and reinstalling it (this is something I have to do regularly with the Sophos AV I use at work :x).  Windows Search may be having a problem completing, and so be starting again every time.  Windows Defender on XP (it's built-in to later versions of Windows) went bad in its final update - I've had to remove it from all the machines in the office because it was causing this kind of startup problem.

Anyway, without even knowing what you are running, this is all speculation!

Oh, and defragmentation can be very effective every few months, but pointless on a daily scale (and it won't address this freezing problem anyway); before you do it, use the console command:
Code: [Select]
fsutil usn deletejournal /D C: and wait for all disk activity to stop (you'll get no other indication - it may take a while).  This deletes a very highly fragmented system file that you will never miss, and so makes future fragmentation less severe.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2012, 01:55 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2012, 13:54 »

Another free AV alternative, that doesn't require you to go to a site to do it every time, is Microsoft Security Essentials - completely free for all legit Windows users, and has pretty good realtime protection without overwhelming the system. I use this in combination with NoScript for FireFox. Haven't had a serious infection for a loooong time.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2012, 16:12 »

Another good free AV is Avast!

Been using it for a couple of years now, and it does the job rather well.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2012, 18:59 »

Does it do the same thing in Safe Mode?

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2012, 05:33 »