THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member posting in the New member's section  (Read 7378 times)

Kenyahp

• Balloon animal serial killer
New member posting in the New member's section
« on: 20 Mar 2012, 09:47 »

Greetings, all!

I've been a fan of QC for...oh, man, I don't know time, but my computers been completely wiped at least twice since I've started reading. Not...not related, of course, to QC or anything...But I'd assume about a year and a half based on that? Lets say that!

Spent the last two days rereading the whole comic, too. Blasted Disney music and MLP remixes while doing it. Best spring break beginning ever!

I've been on the forums to read a couple times but never thought to post because I don't always get references made by everyone. I don't really listen to all that music and stuff, though I do love music. But, I'm a writer at heart and the character development and plot line are wonderful. So, hopefully in the future everyone will see me on the boards talking about it!  :-D

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
Re: New member posting in the New member's section
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:43 »

Oh, there's plenty of other stuff to do on here as well. Half the time, it seems like a thread will get sidetracked due to a rant or complaint anyway. In fact, the vitriolic letter thread is nothing but non-sequitur rants to vent. We also have some interesting things in Make, if you write anything and want to share it.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Kenyahp

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2012, 11:15 »

That sounds right up my alley, then! I am good at sidetracking with rants! I haven't explored much except for the comic section. I much prefer to stumble my way through places. I find its more...mysterious. I am like the Columbus of Forums. All discovering things that are already there, claiming they're new.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2012, 16:36 »

That sounds right up my alley, then! I am good at sidetracking with rants! I haven't explored much except for the comic section. I much prefer to stumble my way through places. I find its more...mysterious. I am like the Columbus of Forums. All discovering things that are already there, claiming they're new.
I've been feeling like, what? the Indiana Jones of QC? There's a rich trove of commentary and thought about the strip and connected to it and I seem to be finding more. There's a PhD thesis in there somewhere. It's fun, even after 3 archive binges, to follow someone's reference to a specific strip. I've found the table that explains why you're a Notorious N.U.R.R  (purely number of posts). I found the .pdf of strip-by-strip dialogue, the cast list and this marvelous site: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/QuestionableContent. I don't understand all the cultural references, but I'm two generations past the 20-something culture, so I'm excused. I don't encounter hostility on this site and don't see much. My comments aren't often acknowledged, but that's OK. You'll enjoy this small world.

Kenyahp

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2012, 16:44 »

Thats what I am hoping for. I've been on large forums before that made me feel stupid for even trying to post. It looks like good discussions on these boards. I've been reading some of the comic discussions and I have to follow every link to get references even though I JUST reread the whole thing! Thats what I like about it. I was reading it, at first, because it was cute. Now, I really like the deep thought out storylines and the personality that each character exhibits.

I read about the number of posts things, too. I want to get to FIGHT YOU haha.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2012, 16:59 »

It's a measure of how seriously the storyline is treated that there are frequent references to "the canon." The TV trope site will have you rumbling back through the strips. And there are references at the top of that page to major changes at a couple of points. I think I know what they are, but at some point I'll take another look.

Kenyahp

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2012, 17:44 »

Just reading a little bit of that page for the TV trope site is super interesting. I love how, when you read it, you think "okay, yeah, thats totally like that", but you don't think about it during the comic.

Also, always arguing what is canon or not is what made me quit anime way back when. It annoyed me. I don't read cheesy fan fiction, but let me have my fantasies! Although...I'm not one to talk, because I almost beat a kid for quoting something about Phantom of the Opera that wasn't canon.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2012, 18:01 »

Just reading a little bit of that page for the TV trope site is super interesting. I love how, when you read it, you think "okay, yeah, thats totally like that", but you don't think about it during the comic.

Also, always arguing what is canon or not is what made me quit anime way back when. It annoyed me. I don't read cheesy fan fiction, but let me have my fantasies! Although...I'm not one to talk, because I almost beat a kid for quoting something about Phantom of the Opera that wasn't canon.
The TV trope site may need two screens, ipad for the tropes, laptop for the lookups. But you're right about how it's "totally like that," although references to Jeph at top and bottom are funny in that context. I hope you almost beat a kid in your earlier teens! Anime, manga, that whole thing is outside my experience. I've googled around it a little, but at 74 I don't need to go there. I'm kind of fascinated by the culture portrayed in QC, and wonder if it's somewhat "accurate" in how these folks communicate and what they communicate about. I've tried to turn some of my friends on to it, including my daughter, now 38, partly so I can compare notes. But I've failed so far. One other site: Have you stayed up late enough to watch Jeph draw? Talk about performance art! And music of questionable content! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/questionable-content-video

Kenyahp

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2012, 18:15 »

Haha, nope, haven't seen ANY of the artists I watch draw. Its more of my brother's side of life. I watch people draw and just think "yup. Thats a line! Mmhmm. Oh, now you're using...buttons. Nice. Go you!" so. Now the writing process I would be extremely interested in.

I'm a nerdy young adult just getting started in life and I still live with my parents. I, too, am fascinated by the culture in QC. I live in a small town of mainly rednecks, so I've never experienced anyone like the people on this forum or in the QC comic. Maybe being here will prepare me for it?

AND THEN WORLD DOMINATION MWAHAHAHAHA.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2012, 18:28 »

Hello
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Kenyahp

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2012, 18:40 »

Hi! :)

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2012, 18:42 »

AND THEN WORLD DOMINATION MWAHAHAHAHA.
Go for it! The world depends on nerds!
I'd like to know a lot more about how Jeph perceives his characters, how much thought and detail he considers preparing a script, but that's all interior, his interior.
Spend an hour late some night to watch him draw. That much time might be illuminating. There's a chat among people watching him alongside the window; they write as if they're closer to your age than mine. And he plays music; last night's was dreadful, screeched by a guy whose vocal cords by now must be frayed.
My wife grew up in and near Nashville and moved north to Detroit to get away from a stifling environment. She taught HS in Detroit. We met in 1969, retired after 30 years, teaching for her, newspaper reporting for me. She died a year ago, a 28-year cancer survivor.
About the culture of the forum: The administrators are very much involved, as posters and guardians, and I think they really set the culture.

Kenyahp

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2012, 18:53 »

Haha. World Domination sounds ten times better than college right now.

Yeah, I imagine its kinda like how I refuse to tell anyone the storyline of the two books I'm writing, though I quit writing them a year ago. Its more fun to make people think you're all mysterious!

You make it all sound a lot more appealing that I perceived it (the drawing thing, that is). Remind me somehow one night and I'll do my best to stick around and watch him draw. I'll try anything once, haha.

Nashville and the surrounding area is absolutely beautiful. Never been to Detroit, though. You really didn't catch any of the "hipster" scene in Detroit?

I am also sorry for your loss. A high school teacher and a cancer survivor? She sounds like one tough lady.

I've noticed about the admins and mods posting! Thats unusual for me to see. All the forums I've been to, they quietly LOOM and then pounce when you do one thing wrong.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2012, 19:20 »

You make it all sound a lot more appealing that I perceived it (the drawing thing, that is). Remind me somehow one night and I'll do my best to stick around and watch him draw. I'll try anything once, haha.
Nashville and the surrounding area is absolutely beautiful. Never been to Detroit, though. You really didn't catch any of the "hipster" scene in Detroit?
Ha! Had to Google Detroit hippie to learn how removed I was. Literally removed for its peak years; I was in India 1966-68, when a lot of shops on Plum Street briefly anchored the hippie scene. It survived, though, for years on Cass Avenue, near the city's central street, Woodward, and I know some of the folks who lived through it.
Maybe you should let me know when and if you want to watch the drawing. I didn't tell you, but while I think he'd like to post the comic by midnight eastern time, Jeph often hasn't started before 1-2 a.m. I'm in Arizona the next 2-3 weeks, so I stay up for it sometimes. Never chatted alongside it, and in Michigan, I doubt I'll ever stay up for it.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2012, 20:24 »

Comic draw is about to start.

Edit:  Jeph says that Ustream is not working for him tonight. 
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2012, 20:56 by celticgeek »
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Kenyahp

« Reply #15 on: 20 Mar 2012, 21:09 »

Well that was anticlimactic, hahaha. Thanks for attempting to let me know, though.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2012, 21:35 »

I may try again sometime, just to see if I can get it right. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2012, 21:36 »

Kenyahp, welcome!  All nerds are welcome, Jeph himself is (was?) quite the anime fan, and some of the strip reflected that - but after a few people criticized him for it, he decided to take the art to a higher level, and never quit.  For me, the development of the art was one of the attractive things (along with the storyline and some of the more obscure non-musical cultural and scientific references). 

I'm not quite as old as some of the others here (redball, celticgeek and pwhodges, one of the moderators, are all in their 8th decade), but I'm up there (Friday begins my 6th decade).  Thing is, reading the story reminded me of... me, my family and my friends.  It's really a comic of life's universal struggles and truths, friendship and love.  And it's witty. 

And a little weird.  Just like life. 

You'll fit right in! 
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2012, 09:30 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2012, 22:11 »

I'm not quite as old as some of the others here (redball, celticgeek and pwhodges, one of the moderators, are all in their 8th decade), but I'm up there (Friday begins my 6th decade).

Aw geez, and I thought I was the only one over 70! Anyway, happy (stops to count on fingers) ... 50th!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #19 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:05 »

You are now the oldest active poster here, I think; and I'm not quite as old as Carl said (I'm 65, as my profile shows, and have refused retirement).

On mods and admins posting: it's rather that the mods and this admin have volunteered or been appointed from among the active posters.  Of the seven forums on my bookmark bar, only two, both run by substantial companies, have disconnected management.

On UStream: watch Jeph's twitter to catch when he's starting; he always announces it.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2012, 01:10 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kenyahp

« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2012, 08:32 »

This forum is secretly a conspiracy to make people get a twitter, isn't it? haha

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :) I've already started getting active on the boards.

I noticed anime references in QC. But, why would he get shit for something he was doing and giving to people for free? Not that I'm complaining, because I love QC the way it is...

I would ask if there are people my age here, but I know there are. That would just be pushing everyones buttons. Kinda cute how everyones mentioning their age and I'm just like "well...damn...I wish the people I do know what age were that cool." So I think I'll get along with everyone ;)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2012, 09:36 »

Oops! 

Sorry, Paul...  my post's been appropriately retconned. 

As for the "giving him shit" thing, it's one of the things that happens when you're a public artist.  There are always critics, or people who think they could be critics, or just jerks who like to criticize.  It's one of the reasons Jeph rarely visits his own forum anymore, although most of the folk around here now really appreciate what they get! 

Also, you don't need to "get twitter" if you don't want to - you can follow Jeph's tweets on the comic homepage, there's a twitterbox just right of the comic. 

Kenyahp

« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2012, 09:48 »

I'm so bad at internetting. Maybe this is why my brothers hate me lmao.

I must be the select few that doesn't believe in giving someone shit for their creative process or for their art. If they are giving you something for free, you better appreciate it. Or, at least, thats how my mind works.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2012, 09:54 »

Well, there are also some people who simply don't get the references. A recent example would be the introduction of Hakase into the comic (The short orange haired scientist) we even have a thread discussing her, where people thought her picture from the anime was a fanart XD
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2012, 10:59 »

Well, there are also some people who simply don't get the references. A recent example would be the introduction of Hakase into the comic (The short orange haired scientist) we even have a thread discussing her, where people thought her picture from the anime was a fanart XD
If there's quite a bit of discussion about an external reference, I'll look it up, as I think I did with Hakase. I guess I'm more likely to do so if there's controversy.
Kenyahp, what's "bad" at internetting? You don't do Twitter yet? I've been internetting since Compuserve in 1983 (and keyboard chatting starting on a Western Union duplex machine in 1956) and I haven't done Twitter. Although the QC part of my life is leading me there. If internetting is about communication, you seem to communicate well,. I imagine you write the way you speak, good on the internet, good for what else you're writing.

Kenyahp

« Reply #25 on: 21 Mar 2012, 17:10 »

Actually, if I wrote the way I spoke, it would be in all caps.

Bad at internetting is like...I don't know how to do any fun forum stuff (I'll learn), I don't have a twitter, I didn't know about OTHER things on comic pages but comics. I ignore everything around me basically, hahaha. But, you know, its fine. Everyone here is so nice, I'm sure if I have a problem, someone will help me. :D

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #26 on: 21 Mar 2012, 19:42 »

Actually, if I wrote the way I spoke, it would be in all caps.

Bad at internetting is like...I don't know how to do any fun forum stuff (I'll learn), I don't have a twitter, I didn't know about OTHER things on comic pages but comics. I ignore everything around me basically, hahaha. But, you know, its fine. Everyone here is so nice, I'm sure if I have a problem, someone will help me. :D

All caps or all exclamation points! I'm more restrained here than among friends on Facebook. There I love the occasional volley of puns among people I worked with years ago, love aiming for humor. Here, the humor is different. I'm still comprehending it.

Kenyahp

« Reply #27 on: 21 Mar 2012, 20:06 »

I don't even change my humor to suit the people I'm around. Just my..."enthusiasm level" as some people call it.

Others say I'm just loud as shit and get less loud around people I don't know.

Im kinda liking the humor that I see around here. Reminds me of my own brain. Haha.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2012, 21:56 »

Just keep it to reasonable levels and we wont have to send the men in white coats in

Or her

<------------
James The Kugai 

Kenyahp

« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2012, 09:54 »

Aww. But those men have always been so kind to me...

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #30 on: 22 Mar 2012, 13:20 »

Or her

<------------
She looks OK, at 72dpi. She can't be all bad; she wears glasses. But what's that on her right shoulder?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #31 on: 22 Mar 2012, 21:48 »

Her hand, holding a gun.  It's a take-off on the old 007 logo.  A combination of this

with this;

(the gun barrel shot is iconic Bod, and appears in the title sequece of every 007 movie)

Oh, and her name's Morgendorffer.  Daria Morgendorffer

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 22 Mar 2012, 22:13 »

Yup

In the guise of Melody Powers, Daria's fictional Cold War Superspy.

The image itself is an artwork done by a fan and relates to a FanFic in which Jane does a painting to celebrate the publishing of Darias first Melody Powers story.
James The Kugai 

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #33 on: 22 Mar 2012, 22:47 »

Her name came up as a GPS voice on the forum a couple of weeks ago. I googled it then, but didn't look at the image on the Wikipedia site. An ongoing education, here.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar 2012, 09:32 »

Pretty sure the GPS suggestion was Kugai, too.  I won't say he's obsessed, but...

Aw, what the hell.  He's obsessed. 

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2012, 12:58 »

Not really

It's just at the time that that matter came up in the Forum, I happened to be reading Fics at Outpost Daria, which is where I had seen the information on the SatNav Voice.

Kinda serendipitous at the time - I was taking a 'Light Reading' break from reading Fletcher Delancys Series.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2012, 13:04 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

Pages: [1]   Go Up