THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 13:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And the moment of the week was...?

...And then HE said "that's not a femtosecond initiation optical pulse, that's my WIFE!
- 4 (5.5%)
Enjoyin' the egghead jokes? I think I'm a few PhD's short.
- 1 (1.4%)
Wanna ditch?
- 0 (0%)
Let's get outta here before they start tryin' to arm-wrestle the hunter-killer droids.
- 1 (1.4%)
You turned down all that money? (Meh, no big deal)
- 0 (0%)
Floating in space: "Even if I am just a glorified TSA agent, I get to do it in SPACE..."
- 2 (2.7%)
Space Hooch Spit Take - "So, are you and the doc's kid ####in' or what?"
- 18 (24.7%)
We're just friends. (I assumed...)
- 0 (0%)
It's not all it's cracked up to be.... you bump into things too much... See this scar?
- 1 (1.4%)
Dunno if she was playin' you or what, but you coulda handled it a little better.
- 1 (1.4%)
Send her an e-mail or something! No sense leavin' it off on a sad note.
- 0 (0%)
No offense, buddy, but you're not my type.
- 1 (1.4%)
You were seriously gonna try and make a move on me when you don't even know my FIRST NAME?
- 11 (15.1%)
I like big guys, y'know? I want a man who can bench press me one handed.
- 2 (2.7%)
You can call me Abbie. And write that email!
- 2 (2.7%)
"...You wouldn't believe where I'm emailing you from..."
- 7 (9.6%)
Hannelore? Could you meet me on observation deck 3?
- 0 (0%)
Table, candlelight, nice view of Earth... and a dressed up Station!
- 6 (8.2%)
Do you have a DATE? Oh my gosh! Who is she? Is she nice?
- 1 (1.4%)
...She's VERY nice. Have a seat. Oh no, no, I wouldn't want to be a distraction.
- 11 (15.1%)
Enjoy your dinner! "W-wait!"
- 4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2151-55 (26-30 Mar 2012) QC IN SPAAAAAACE... Week TEN!?!  (Read 83643 times)

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.

On a side note: I find it hilarious how this forum almost seems to "hold its breath" today. I remember there usually being much more activity around this time, especially when the comic almost exclusively featured only Marten + a girl in half-drunk conversation.

The novelty's worn off, maybe. Or we've all noted that the most furious speculation is quickly rendered moot by the next day's strip. Then again, VonKleist up there seems to think the forum is headed into its usual bonkersville now that Marten is sharing a panel or two with a new female character.

Eye of the beholder, and all that. YMMV. Whatever.

*sucks in air*

:psyduck:

*slowly turns blues*

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

My grandma and my dog, Old Blue!

The Pope has got it and so do you!
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Kenyahp

• Balloon animal serial killer

Well this thread turned really weird really quick...

On a sidenote, I just want to say that I don't think Padma was considered a one-night stand OR casual sex. Marten liked Padma a lot. And, obviously, she liked him, because she wanted to stay a few more weeks to see how things went. Then she got busy and couldn't hang out so Marten got all whiny and stopped talking to her, so she left, probably because she didn't think anything would come of it. Padma was sorta like Marten's in between girl. Someone he likes and cares about, but he knows is leaving soon so he doesn't have to get too serious about. But, shes also someone he was taking his frustrations out on. I think thats far from a one-night stand or casual sex.

Anyways. I don't think anything will come of Lt. Potter. But, stranger things have happened in the QCverse.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I dunno... Station's kinda the wildcard here, Anything... Could.......Happen!

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Meanwhile, back in Northampton:
SVEN, opening his mail: "Smallest royalty check I've seen in a while. Forgot I even wrote that 'Wake up! Wake up! Good morning!' song."
This deserves a thumbs up. It would certainly break up the monotony of all these space strips just like the random toilet seat up/down strip did.

Marten leaving with a drunk, half dressed and probably horny Lt. Potter

This is Marten. There is zero chance he will take advantage of the lieutenant in her drunken state.

Maybe Station will speak to Marten as he is walking out of Potter's quarters and be impressed enough to give 0.76% of its net worth suggesting he might find a nice charity to donate it to.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

This is Marten. There is zero chance he will take advantage of the lieutenant in her drunken state.

Doesn't mean she  won't try taking advantage of him...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jynto

• Not quite a lurker

Welp, there goes this week. Batten down the hatches, the shippers are coming.

That was my first reaction, too. Lets hope Lt. Potter is just going to introduce Marten to her brother Harry or something...

Do you really think the shippers wouldn't prefer that?  :laugh:

Or worse, they'd try and ship Marten/Harry/Draco threesome.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Are we sure drunk PhDs make jokes like that when drunk? (intended sort-of pleonasm)
The ones I know (granted, few) make the same badmouthed regular flaps like common people. °O

Always thought the "indeciferable physics joke making drunk PhD" was a foul stereotype.

And who here still thinks Marten is a kind guy concerning possible one night stands? Have we all forgotten the Padma-arc?
In my experience, they don't make that sort of joke, and that sort of joke is actually frowned upon. Maybe I'm just not hanging out with the right people (or maybe I am hanging out with the right people...)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

Well this thread turned really weird really quick...

You haven't been on here for long, have you?

Anyone else wondering (and whom may not have a sense of humour/understand parody films), I, Moment of Madness and Iduguphergrave, were of course, referencing this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC7HwPh6Es&feature=related

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

EDIT: What's so kind about avoiding a one-night stand in this case? It's not like Lt. Potter is NOT some poor little intoxicated girl and he's taking advantage.

Edit: One very little important word.. she's NOT. NOT.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2012, 12:48 by idontunderstand »

merv

• Not quite a lurker

Lt. Potter is some poor little intoxicated girl and he's taking advantage.

If she is intoxicated, which it seems she would be it is a terrible idea for him to sleep/hook up with her. If you can't trust someone to drive a car drunk, I wouldn't trust someone to make the decision to have sex either.

You haven't been on here for long, have you?

Anyone else wondering (and whom may not have a sense of humour/understand parody films)
They just found it strange. No reason to assume that because they don't understand your humor means they have none.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I'm glad someone got what I said despite the blatant omission. I disagree though, and driving a car is not a relevant comparison. It may not be quite obvious, but it doesn't seem like she's too drunk to know what she's doing. I mean people drink especially for the purpose of lowering inhibitions and do things they normally wouldn't. That includes sex with strangers, depending on the person. There's nothing wrong with that.

TheEvilDog

They just found it strange. No reason to assume that because they don't understand your humor means they have none.

The comment was more for people who were going "Huh....whats all this about everyone having AIDS?" Not everyone watches anything by Matt Stone or Trey Parker. In fact, Team America was the last thing I saw by them, when it was released.

Also, it was an excuse to post the song  :-D

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Drunk PhD's most assuredly do NOT make that kind of joke. If they do, they get pelted by beer cans from their colleagues for perpetuating the hopeless nerd stereotype -- and even worse, they don't get published. 

The horror, the horror. 

As for Lt. Potter -- hey, she's got Dora's general coloring, and Faye's build. So, if anything, double jeopardy for ending in tears. 

SQUEEZE BOX

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Someone's productivity is going to go down with mine, gosh darn it!
Sorry, Black Sword, not mine, for two reasons:
  • I'm currently unemployed. Still, this could hinder my productivity at job hunting but see the next item.
  • I've grown mostly immune to the TVTropes timesink spell. I have bouts now and then, but I can control it now. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

- Marten's gonna turn her down (most likely)
I agree, but not out of reticence with casual sex or anything like that, but simply because she's drunk, and probably not quite in her right mind as a result. She may seem to be handling herself rather well, but what Marten knows about her can make him suspiscious of her discernment under the effects of alcohol.
Then again, she's probably sobered up somewhat by now. Maybe she can convince him that she isn't out of her mind. And if she explains why she got drunk to begin with, my interpretation of Marten's character tells me that it would be a massive turn on to him.

Note: I deliberately abstained from using the "questionable consent" pun, since it's already been done in a guest comic. It would have fit well amidst the considerations about Lt. Potter's level of drunkness, though.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2012, 13:30 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

VonKleist

Nah, Lt. Potter is cool.
Marty is cool,
they´re both cool-.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Doesn't mean she  won't try taking advantage of him...
Ah, yeah, there's that, too. She's a trained military, qualified to operate on security checks. She's probably able to wrestle him while twice as drunk, blinfolded and her hands tied together.

That actually cam out dirtier than I intended it to...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh great, I heard that in a Shatnerian voice.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Earin

• Plantmonster

Jeez, she's not going to try and get laid. She just wants new meat for the security forces knife-fighting ring.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Or after all this discusison, in the next comic we'll find out the lieutenant just wants someone to play space scrabble with.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Welp, there goes this week. Batten down the hatches, the shippers are coming.

That was my first reaction, too. Lets hope Lt. Potter is just going to introduce Marten to her brother Harry or something...

Do you really think the shippers wouldn't prefer that?  :laugh:

Or worse, they'd try and ship Marten/Harry/Draco threesome.

Nah, he'd just have a nice date with Harry down at his ranch.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

greywolfe

Marty is about to become fresh meat for the fleet...

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

On a sidenote, I just want to say that I don't think Padma was considered a one-night stand OR casual sex. Marten liked Padma a lot. And, obviously, she liked him, because she wanted to stay a few more weeks to see how things went. Then she got busy and couldn't hang out so Marten got all whiny and stopped talking to her, so she left, probably because she didn't think anything would come of it. Padma was sorta like Marten's in between girl. Someone he likes and cares about, but he knows is leaving soon so he doesn't have to get too serious about. But, shes also someone he was taking his frustrations out on. I think thats far from a one-night stand or casual sex.

Not quite the popular interpretation of that particular arc - she didn't just 'get busy', she dropped hints that she wanted to make things more serious, for better lack of a term, and when he didn't pick up on said hints, figured he didn't want the same thing and started distancing herself. But this isn't the thread for that arc - the WCDT for that week is around here somewhere.

0kamisama

• Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥

It might just be me, but hasn't Marten been hooking up with girls who bear more of a resemblance to himself? First, we had Dora, almost a carbon copy of him (they even referenced it back in 992), then cam Padma, who looked much like Dora, but with a tan, and now we have Lt. Potter (true might be just a one-shot hookup, but who'd turn down a chance at zero gravity sex?).
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Kenyahp

Not quite the popular interpretation of that particular arc - she didn't just 'get busy', she dropped hints that she wanted to make things more serious, for better lack of a term, and when he didn't pick up on said hints, figured he didn't want the same thing and started distancing herself. But this isn't the thread for that arc - the WCDT for that week is around here somewhere.

Well. I wasn't here for that discussion, but I should probably go back and start reading before I talk about a different arc. Sorry! I still think my point stands, however, that Padma wasn't just a one-night stand.

And 0kamisama, I disagree with certain points. Yes, Dora and Padma were similar body types to him. But, Padma had longer hair and didn't have a tan, I'm pretty sure she was African American. They had different personalities, also. Both seemed outgoing, but Padma, in my opinion, was much more awkward and spoke her mind more readily than Dora.
As for Lt. Potter, she is far from being close to body type as Padma and Dora. Those two had smaller breasts and less meat on their bones. Lt. Potters got some muscles and a nice pair on her chest.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Yeah, I wouldn't say she was a one-night stand either. Though Padma did strike me as Indian rather than African American, going by the facial features, name, and her close ties with her family (which is a huge part of Indian culture).

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

(they even referenced it back in 992)
They referenced it even earlier back in the 440's or 450's when Marty's mom first came to visit.

Jesus christ that was a long time ago in real-time  :psyduck:

My prediction:  Attempted drunken sex from Lt Potter with Marten pushing her away as he realizes he made a mistake in blowing Padma off.

Preemptive "It's not shipping, it's a prediction of how the week plays out, just like other predictions done in normal arcs".

*puts on flame-retardant suit anyway*

If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

greywolfe

My prediction:  Attempted drunken sex from Lt Potter with Marten pushing her away as he realizes he made a mistake in blowing Padma off.

Then realises she looks like Faye, but without the glasses and insecurities....and takes a running dive into trouble ;)

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

If anything, Lt. Potter gets Marty into a drinking contest and Potter drinks the poor soul under the table.

That or she gets super drunk and just kicks Marty's twigly bottom. :psyduck:

At any rate, he could use some fun without any expectations.  He's had too much drama. 

I have a feeling Station interupts them somehow or somesuch and Potter gets...angry. :evil:

Or she shows him some really cool death gadgets while heavily intoxicated and things go awry and Marty runs off scared.

kajiura fan

• Not quite a lurker
  • To Nowhere

Ah, yeah, there's that, too. She's a trained military, qualified to operate on security checks. She's probably able to wrestle him while twice as drunk, blinfolded and her hands tied together.

That actually cam out dirtier than I intended it to...
I immediately thought of this when I read your post. The whole S&M thing... yeah... uh...

*crawls back under rock*
"I smell weakness!"

BlueMark

• Plantmonster

Lt. Space-Fay may just remind Marten that what happens in orbit, stays in orbit ...

greywolfe

Lt. Space-Fay may just remind Marten that what happens in orbit, stays in orbit ...

Marten the 'Passive Avenger'  is not going to turn down the hot, slightly tipsy military lady. She ain't passive :P

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

And 0kamisama, I disagree with certain points. Yes, Dora and Padma were similar body types to him. But, Padma had longer hair and didn't have a tan, I'm pretty sure she was African American. .

Indian actually.  We never found out much about her family other than her having an ailing grandmother back in California, so we don't know how long her family has been in the US.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Apparently the good Lieutenant can ship with the best of them. 

And that does look like a hellacious scar.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

So does this make Lt. Potted the first in-universe character since the strip was in triple digits to assume up front  that Hanners is an adult, sexually capable woman who can make her own decisions?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

vsonics

• Plantmonster

I was trying to find a delicate way of saying that it certainly seems like everyone is putting Marty and Hanners together without coming across as shippy, and I think you've got it there. Yes. Something like that.

It looks like this could go one of two ways: they chill out and drink and Marten has a new space pen pal OR she's testing out the waters to see if he's taken before instigating some making out(er space). The scar makes me lean towards the former - can't imagine having to explain that one to the doc. All in all, though, I'm liking Potter more every time we see her. A little bittersweet considering that she's probably never to be seen again once they head back down to earth.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

I'm glad someone got what I said despite the blatant omission. I disagree though, and driving a car is not a relevant comparison. It may not be quite obvious, but it doesn't seem like she's too drunk to know what she's doing.
And once you make that assumption, you could be taking advantage of her drunkenness. You don't know if she is too inebriated to make a valid decision about sex.
I mean people drink especially for the purpose of lowering inhibitions and do things they normally wouldn't. That includes sex with strangers, depending on the person. There's nothing wrong with that.
To you. I don't think Marten would see it that way. He knows too many screwed up people to do anything with someone who might be impaired.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Nah, Lt. Potter is cool.
Marty is cool,
they´re both cool-.
Yeah, they're bros, dude. Chillin'. Bromance in the hizzouse.

(Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! ... did I just do that?)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Oh great, I heard that in a Shatnerian voice.

Odd.

I heard that in the voice of the head of W.A.S.P. in Stingray   

Bloody HK Bots, ruining a girls fun.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

squab

• Plantmonster

I'm glad someone got what I said despite the blatant omission. I disagree though, and driving a car is not a relevant comparison. It may not be quite obvious, but it doesn't seem like she's too drunk to know what she's doing.
And once you make that assumption, you could be taking advantage of her drunkenness. You don't know if she is too inebriated to make a valid decision about sex.

The way I see it, if you get in a car accident while drunk, it's your fault. If you willingly get drunk and, while drunk, WILLINGLY have sex with someone, I think that should be your fault.

I'm not saying that it's right to take advantage of drunken people, but (in general, assuming you know your limit and willingly drink) then what you do while drunk is probably your fault.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

There's always the option to "not drink", I'm afraid. Free will and all. EVERYthing you do is your own fault.  :-D

edit:
Then again... the extend to which what is done TO you is your own fault is debatable... damn.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I mean people drink especially for the purpose of lowering inhibitions and do things they normally wouldn't. That includes sex with strangers, depending on the person. There's nothing wrong with that.
To you. I don't think Marten would see it that way. He knows too many screwed up people to do anything with someone who might be impaired.

Well Jesus, it's a webcomic. If I'd talked to her in real life I would be able to tell just on what level of intoxication she was.

I have no idea what you mean about Marten knowing too many screwed up people. And she's not impaired, she's been drinking. None of Martens friends have become the way they are because of drinking.

It seems we won't be able to agree, I'll leave it.

VonKleist

Heh. Nice spit-take, Martypants.

Will they, won't they!?!
You just have a good time with the Spacelady :laugh:

Where´s Hanners?

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference

I don't think this is heading anywhere particularly raunchy. Yes, the conversation turned straight to sex, but in the context of both "are you doing someone else" and "it's not all it's cracked up to be".

I'm surprised Potter assumed that they were sleeping together. Admittedly she can't have been on the station for long (she looks like she just graduated military college), but you'd think she'd be somewhat up to speed with Hanners' hangups, or how much that hug actually meant.

I'm thinking they're just gonna shoot the breeze, and maybe Potter will let something slip about Hannerdad (dying? bankrupt?), leaving Marten wondering whether or not to tell Hanners?

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse

She could have thought that the hug signified developments in all areas. Which granted, it has, but not to that extreme yet. I mean Marten is obviously very special to Hanners, and sometimes a relationship can help a person in such ways.

Eh I think after today's comic the only way they'd have sex now would be along the lines of 'Well that sure was a deep conversation between us where we both revealed inner secrets. I'm bored. Shall we have sex?'

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I do actually wonder if Hanners is trying to work towards a relationship with Marten specifically, given how it's being hinted towards now by characters that are meeting Marten for the first time (Hannerdad and Lt. Potter).

From a narrative perspective, I'd actually kinda like to see Hanners try it before she's actually ready for everything it entails, and then Marten handling rejecting her (I don't want to see him dating her unless she's completely ready, and given the timescale involved, I doubt that would happen except as possibly the ending of QC), simply to see how that drama works out. Potentially, the fallout from that would also provide character development for Marigold - it'd be an interesting role reversal, as Hanners has been there for every failed relationship attempt on Marigold's part.

As for Lt. Potter... depending on levels of drunkenness, things might still happen, although I'd guess it'd be in a bunk, and not in zero-G. Oh, and why she wouldn't know about Hannelore's insecurities... note that she refers to her as "the doc's kid", not "Hannelore". Even if she should know, she probably doesn't care enough to remember that.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

This threw a curveball at me. Marten's reaction is interesting. Just, "We're friends" and moved on with the conversation. Doesn't seem to have entered his head (yet) to say, "Why did you think that?"
I hope we see more of Lt. Potter when we go back to Earth.

Also I really like the characters in Zero-G. It's fun to look at.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

I'm thinking they're just gonna shoot the breeze, and maybe Potter will let something slip about Hannerdad (dying? bankrupt?), leaving Marten wondering whether or not to tell Hanners?
Surely not bankrupt if 0.76% of Station's share of the company was $5m. He must own at least as much as the AI, you'd think.

Dying...possible from the "so much to accomplish" strip, but since the context of that was that he didn't even know his own age, I doubt it!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

On another sidenote:

It must be HELLA creepy, not to say utmostfully distressing, to see your own blood in zero-g. °O

... damn, I just shivered me timber.
Think about all those little bouncy spheres dancing around each other and you'd think it was kinda pretty if it weren't a death dance dedicated to you. ... This is the stuff Stephen King or Clyve Barker novels are made of.

ilikefishfood

• Plantmonster

I'm thinking Potter's going to make a move.  As soon as Marten said he and Hannelore were just friends, she leaned right into him (panel 5 and 6).  I mean, look how quickly she narrowed that gap!  The Lt. has intentions!  :-D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up