THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Living Vicariously Through the Internet: The Travel Thread  (Read 3312 times)

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

So, I am going to guess that you guys like traveling. Now you have a thread to talk about traveling and dream about your fantasies of exotic cities, magnificent terrain, and nude beaches.

So I will start, In abut a week or so, I will be taking a trip over to Chicago. I have been there once before, back when I was a preteen. Two places I am certain to go to are a deep dish pizza place and a Japanese mall. Do you forumgoers have any suggestions?
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

There's a comedy club called the Second city that is quite fun, costs around $35. Also, Millennium Park is amazing on nice days. The Hancock building has a bar on the top floor with a great view of the city. For cheap food there is a place called the Billy Goat tavern, which has an interesting place in the history of the downfall of the Chicago Cubs. Its located right by the chicago river on Lower Michigan. For Beer there are several breweries. I recommend the Berghoff or Goose Island if you want a meal with your beer.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung

I will be taking a trip over to Chicago. Two places I am certain to go to are a deep dish pizza place.

Lou Malnati's or Unos or Gino's East. In that order. If anyone suggests Giordano's, ignore them.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

I think I have been to Gino's or Unos once before. I also have had giordano's. I don't know, I guess I will make my decision on the time and spot. I haven't had  a prper Chicago-style pizza in over 5 years, so any one is a good pizza.

And I would love to go to Second City, Improv is my favorite thing ever. However, I only have really 2 and a half days there. So it'll depend on time and budget restraints

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Uno's became a chain - we had one here in central PA until it closed (one more  pizza bar during a recession?  Yeah...)

Anything special about the original?  I'd imagine they're all about the same if it was franchised...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered...

I was in Philly last two days (tests at Temple U hospital), and we'll be going back in late May for a 4 day bout of testing.  Most of those days, we'll just be going in in the morning for a picture and then will have the day to sightsee. 

I've not been sightseeing in Philly since 1976, when I was in Jr, High (the bicentenial tour - independence hall, liberty bell, some other touristy things).  Any recommendations/warnings?  Is anyone here even familiar with Philly?  Tourists include myself, my wife (similar age) and my 18 year old younger daughter (the one getting the tests). 

valley_parade

• coprophage

The only good thing Philly has every contributed to society was the cheesesteak, so I guess eat one.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung

Anything special about the original?

I always thought the pizza served there was top notch. That location invented the deep dish (allegedly). Lou Malnati's is still my favorite though.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math

Two places I am certain to go to are a deep dish pizza place and a Japanese mall.
There's a Japanese mall in Chicago? I wanna go!

I love traveling. I just moved to New Orleans 7 months ago. Before that I lived in Oakland, California and Berkeley...before that I lived in various cities in Florida and I was born in Pennsylvania.

I don't know where to move next! I miss the produce in California terribly but I wouldn't want to move back to the same place. I thought about LA as a compromise.
I also thought about Costa Rica. I hear ppl there drink young coconuts and there are butterflies the size of your head! Also it's only $900 to have a baby in Costa Rica and the child gets dual citizenship until age 21 when he/she has to pick a country. Not that I'm planning on having kids but who knows what could happen?

Where have you all lived? What did you/do you like about it? Where should I go next?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

$900 to have a baby? Do you mean to pay to give birth in a hospital, or do you have to pay to conceive?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

I have lived in Miami FL and Reno NV. Also, a bunch of small cities in Indiana. Reno was- well to be honest I couldn't quite tell. But it felt kinda sleazy, like trailer park sleazy.

Miami was awesome. I lived in the Kendall area- kinda like the suburb of Miami. There were a lt f interesting people there, and most of the stuff I know about screamo, culture, and human nature comes from there.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Anyone here in (or near) Morgantown, WV?  I'll be there Saturday for a conference...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I know a guy on another MB that I frequent who works at one of the hotels near there.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

My partner and I are going to be travelling down the east coast of the US in October this year. We're just sorting out the international flights at the moment and it looks like we'll be heading from Boston down to New York (Comic-Con, woo!) and then down to Orlando (theme parks, yeah!), hopefully spending about a week in each city. We've got accomodation sorted for Boston because I have some friends (ex-forumites actually!) who live there but we're still sussing out where we'll stay in NYC and Orlando. If anyone wants to burl me some recommendations of cheap/clean places to stay that would be awesome.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Oh man Jimmy I wish you were there in July when I am! Rare opportunity to meet. Ah well. Have a great time! We can compare notes, sounds like we'll be visiting similar places.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."
Pages: [1]   Go Up