Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And the moment of the week is....?

YB and Otterphile.org
- 5 (8.9%)
How's the wine? "It's - It's very good."
- 0 (0%)
That's good. Everyone has been thrilled to see you again. Especially me.
- 0 (0%)
In fact, I was hoping I could convince you to stay. (M-more wine? Glugglugglug)
- 0 (0%)
I miss you, Hannelore.
- 0 (0%)
Your mind was the greatest puzzle I was ever presented with...
- 0 (0%)
...a sparkling intellect, a kind heart, and a boundless capacity for joy.
- 2 (3.6%)
...a friend, a sister, a daughter. I grew to love you.
- 0 (0%)
But I never considered the possibility that you'd stay (on Earth) forever...
- 0 (0%)
So the only solution was to ask you if you could find it in your heart to return... And stay.
- 0 (0%)
I don't like remembering my childhood...
- 0 (0%)
You're the one good thing I have from back then...
- 0 (0%)
...You're the reason I have friends, and a job, and a LIFE.
- 0 (0%)
But that's just it - I have a life. And it's down there, on Earth.
- 6 (10.7%)
I love you too, Station. But I can't stay. I'm sorry.
- 4 (7.1%)
...That's pretty much the answer I was expecting. (I'm sorry.)
- 0 (0%)
Is it really so great, down there?
- 0 (0%)
It's big and loud and dirty and scary, but... it's full of wonderful people and amazing things.
- 4 (7.1%)
As long as I know you're happy down thre, that will be enough.
- 0 (0%)
Shall we stay here and watch the world go by for a while? (I'd love to.)
- 1 (1.8%)
WHUMP! "I'm okay! I'm okay!"
- 34 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2156-60 (2-6 April 2012) Questionable Content Discussion  (Read 56888 times)

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I think if Asimov's Laws of Robotics applied to the AIs in Questionable Content, they wouldn't be enough like humans, and they'd rapidly become dissatisfied with being an inferior species by default (since they have these arbitrary limitations built into them). I'm sure that anyone who was building a truly sentient AI would consider something like that.

On the subject of the most recent comic:
It's nice to see that AIs can get so genuinely emotional. We had Momo's tearful Christmas-time inspirational speech, and now we have Station trying to convince Hannelore to stay. I'm still convinced that Hannelore should leave, particularly because a life in space is so isolated, but Station makes his argument as convincing as reasonably possible.

(Fixed the link - Method)
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2012, 06:14 by Method of Madness »

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Jeph said somewhere that he won't consider a spin-off until after the comic is done--and possibly not even then. I tried to find it but had no luck. :/

But what I'm getting at is that it's doubtful that such an integral part of the comic will leave permanently.

Anyway...
If Hanners stays, she'll keep in touch, and we can focus on other characters. She'll miss her friends too much and be sad and probably get sent back for her own health. Plus, it would waste a lot of fuel, because I bet powering a space ship twice can't be cheap. It would be extravagant at best. Yes, I know her family has money, but that would be wasteful.

If she leaves for Earth with everybody else, we have to see her be all depressed for letting Station down. But cuteness, because all the other characters will cheer her up. And maybe cute chats between her and Station so they'll keep in touch.

Honestly, IMHO, I think she'd go crazy staying on the station. She needs that human interaction--people her own age who don't expect anything of her except to be herself. I'm sure the scientists are great and all, but hardly anyone but Station has reached out to her or seems like they would be good friends to her. They are too busy and don't have a lot in common as people (even though they do to some degree in academics). She needs her Earth friends (and they need her). They keep her sane. A station like that is sterile. On Earth, she can force herself into situations that challenge her and her OCD. And Hannelore knows this. As much as she loves Station and her father and everything and everyone else up there, she has to  know that it's not the right decision for her. There will be conflict and alternating emotions because she has a big heart and doesn't want to abandon Station, but in the end, she just can't stay. It's illogical, not to mention harmful to her well-being. There are reasons why she went to Earth. The station just isn't where she needs to be.

TL;DR: Hannelore probably won't stay with Station because it would be detrimental to her mental and emotional health. It would be very out of character to stay because she knows that Earth provides her with what she needs to conquer her fears and grow as a person.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I always thought it was either "in regard to" or "with respect to", not "with regard to".
Don't blame me; take it up with my English teachers.

I'm still convinced that Hannelore should leave, particularly because a life in space is so isolated, but Station makes his argument as convincing as reasonably possible.
Station's "argument" seems selfish to me. It's all about him, isn't it? Hannelore's needs don't really come into it.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

So... what would happen if Jeph decided to keep Hannelore up on the station?

If she goes there will be trouble,
But if she stays it will be double.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Like...I dunno. His backstory with Hanners here was sweet? But he seems too fawning. Too eager to get back to when she depended on him, despite professing to approve of her independence.

Exactly. Essentially, Station is asking her to throw all her progress out of the window and return to a dependent state. It's like a mother whose child has become successful and independent, begging the child to move back in so she can tuck them up in bed every night again. Sure, it's understandable, it's sweet, but it's completely illogical, irresponsible, and counter-productive to the emotional well-being of your former charge.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference

I feel like it would be less creepy if he hadn't specifically avoided contacting her through the means she'd provided when she was on earth. If he misses her that much then calling once a week would be a good place to start. Send an e-mail her way once in a while. All that good stuff.

I can certainly appreciate his dilemma as a stationary being, but the part where he never calls is the part where it all seems to fall apart to me.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

I feel like it would be less creepy if he hadn't specifically avoided contacting her through the means she'd provided when she was on earth. If he misses her that much then calling once a week would be a good place to start. Send an e-mail her way once in a while. All that good stuff.

I can certainly appreciate his dilemma as a stationary being, but the part where he never calls is the part where it all seems to fall apart to me.
How do you know he doesn't call? If the interactions aren't funny, why would they appear "on camera"?

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

I'm still convinced that Hannelore should leave, particularly because a life in space is so isolated, but Station makes his argument as convincing as reasonably possible.
Station's "argument" seems selfish to me. It's all about him, isn't it? Hannelore's needs don't really come into it.
It is exactly like Akima said above why I'm still a little creeped out by Station.

gangler

How do you know he doesn't call? If the interactions aren't funny, why would they appear "on camera"?
It was mentioned here

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

If Hanners stays, she'll keep in touch, and we can focus on other characters. She'll miss her friends too much and be sad and probably get sent back for her own health. Plus, it would waste a lot of fuel, because I bet powering a space ship twice can't be cheap. It would be extravagant at best. Yes, I know her family has money, but that would be wasteful.
Umm, spaceship probably does supply runs back and forth to earth at least on a monthly basis. Do they have a chicken coop somewhere on the station? Where would the get fresh eggs from if there weren't monthly supply runs?

I actually would assume the three of them just hitched a ride on a regularly scheduled flight rather than a specially booked flight. Although, it also might have been cool if there were other Earth-bound friends on the flight with them to attend the party.

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic #2158...

1. Another strip I am thankful was not a weekend cliffhanger.  Jeph has really been pushing the envelope for story anticipations this week

2. Art-wise, it was a really good panel-to-panel timeline-progression of Hanners...

- panel #2 - Hanners so deeply reclusive she even hides inside her hair, with only one eye poking out to look at Station.
 - panel #3 - Hanners still curled up, but showing her face.  Also, deep bags under her eyes.
 - panel #4 - Hanners with shortened hair, and being able to sleep restfully
 - panel #5 - Hanners roughly before her stalker-introduction into Marten's life.  And wearing short-sleeves and skirt.
 - panel #7 - present Hanners: short hair, lipstick, piercings, and little black dress.

3. As dramatic, controversial, fan-raging, and just plain sad, as it would be for Hanners to stay up on the E-C space station, I cannot see her doing it, not even for her father if he asked.  Staying up in space would be too "safe" for her.   Where she would progress far less through her psychological problems, and so easily regress, is very much not the character-type that Hannelore is.  Hanners' constant drive to push her limits comes from the kind of chaos you can only find amongst the "earthly" (not just the planet, if you understand my meaning) people she has bonded to through Marten, is what endears her so much to the audience.

4. Either way, someone is going to have a heartbreakingly sad scene.  Perhaps Jeph has been playing Mass Effect #3 to its ending(s)...? :cry:

5. All this leads me to believe we are heading for another major weekend cliffhanger or drama event.  Which also means "QC in Space, Week Twelve(!)"... :wink:
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2012, 02:56 by pendrake »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Prediction:

Thursday will be further exposition.

Friday will be the cliffhanger, but we'll get to SEE Hanners say no. The cliffhanger is how Station will react.

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication

inb4 Station goes full Hal 9000 mode.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

Regardless of the eventual outcome, I am certain of one thing...

...Hanners should grow her hair long again.

She won't though...long hair is a magnet for dust and parasites.  :-P
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Station's argument is sad but creepy. I understand why he uses the term "puzzle" but it's sort of reminds me of the type of argument  in 90's sitcoms where they say, "Yeah, I only tried to change you because my friends bet me to but then I realized you're actually a human who's quite hot with their hair down and glasses off."

StevenC

• Furry furrier

ITT: People still reading way too much into everything.
Not that that is anything new or only happens here.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Selfish, sure.  Almost human-level selfish.

Creepy, not really.

Unless you start pondering the HAL9000-scenario ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

[ ... ]
Creepy, not really.
[ ... ]
... hm... Station is so "Edward'ing out" in panel 4, I classify it as creepy enough. °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

sluthy

Station is being selfish here. Yes, I can understand his loneliness and desire for her to come back, but can't he see the progress she's made on Earth? Having friends, making physical contact, working at a damn coffee shop? Earth is where she belongs, it's where she wants/NEEDS to be. Moving back into space, she would just end up regressing to a degree.

And it's not like he can't contact her at any time. The only reason he doesn't is because he's too self-righteous to use "such primitive technology" as email, phone or Twitter, instead insisting on a presumably risky operation to put a chip in her brain to assist HIM.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Yeah, this seems extraordinarily selfish, and I don't know why Hannelore would even consider it.  It's Earth that brought her to where she is today, and there's no way going back to the station could be anything but the start of a long backslide.

Although this strip is making me wonder why she would choose Northampton, specifically, out of the entire country?  What's in Northampton?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Ghanima Atreides

• Balloon animal serial killer

I'm probably reading too much into it, but I'm sensing a touch of emotional blackmail too, on Station's part: "Remember how I sat with you through your psychoses, cared for you and helped you improve, how I was your only friend? Won't you find it in your heart to come back and stay with me now that I'm the one who needs you?"

Also: Part of loving someone is doing things that benefit them without benefits to yourself. For all his affection for Hannelore, Station has been and is still motivated by his own needs: at first she was a pet project, then she became a friend, someone he liked. Then she was gone, and now he wants her back. For himself.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2012, 06:09 by Ghanima Atreides »
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

A rejected Station could go all HAL on people.

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

A rejected Station could go all HAL on people.

I really want this to happen, but it's not Jeph's style. I feel he typically presents the AIs as ultimately human and rarely as cold and calculating. I also feel they are typically shown with a high level of prefection with their flaws being just humorous annoyances, even with Pintsize.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. Some real drama as they try to escape, etc. :)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So... what would happen if Jeph decided to keep Hannelore up on the station?

If she goes there will be trouble,
But if she stays it will be double.

Clash quote FTW.

EDIT: And I'm gonna put it down right now - Marigold is going to be the reason why she goes back to Earth.

Friday, she's going to come in and say/do something that's gonna remind her of how far she's come, and politely give Station a "I've got to pay it forward"-like speech.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2012, 06:40 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

This comic made me admire Jeph as a writer: a sense of the fine line that AI's can be human and compassionate, but-not-quite-there. "the greatest puzzle I was ever presented with", "logical next step in your development" vs. "a kind heart, an endless capacity for joy". And there was real pathos in being, literally, Station, hovering over the world, and becoming lonely.

Nowhere, however, does Station imply that he wants Hannelore to regress or become dependent on him again. He wants to enjoy her company, that's all.  Doesn't make it any less selfish, though: Station's gain would be Hannelore's loss. And it seems like Station can't just download/split off his consciousness to follow Hannelore down planetside.

In a weird way this comic reminds me of one of the guest strips.

SQUEEZE BOX

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Actually, I think Jeph could pull off a cold and calculating AI, without making AIs seem non-human.

After all, he's pulled off a cold and calculating human who does it for profit.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Quote from: Jeph's Q&A on Tumblr
>A question about AnthroPC rights in your latest QA Dump got me wondering about their level of free will. Do they have some sort of rules guiding what they can and can’t do, like the three laws of robotics, or do they have complete free will and could disobey and leave their owners, and even try and take over the world or something if they wanted?

Complete free will. Like I’ve said before, it’s a good thing they seem to like us.

Found that on the wiki.

Quote from: gangler
stationary being
I see what you did there.

Quote from: jmucciello
Umm, spaceship probably does supply runs back and forth to earth at least on a monthly basis. Do they have a chicken coop somewhere on the station? Where would the get fresh eggs from if there weren't monthly supply runs?
They have space rabbits, why not space chickens? But with a hundred people, even if each one stays for a year without a break, Spaceship would be making regular runs.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DLcygnet

• Not quite a lurker

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is.  Hanners has a boy toy in the closet at home.

No really - the male humanoid robot that her Dad gave her. Station could follow her home. What would stop the station from downloading into that particular model of anthro-pc? Or at least making a copy of his programming to avoid leaving the station helpless. And we get yet another new character since Sven and Padma are semi-out-of-the-picture. Winslow is obviously their secret love-child anyway.

They made it work out on Doctor Who. *cough* Rose *cough*
Then again, it didn't really work out in the Phantom of the Opera.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2012, 09:07 by DLcygnet »

Magdalena

• Not quite a lurker

I don't think it's a good idea for her to stay on the station, simply because she's made so much progress. If Station decided to I dunno upload a copy of his program into "android/robot boyfriend" and go with Hanners (though hopefully NOT staying at her apartment) I think he (Station) might be pretty happy.

As a side note, am I the only one who's wondering if Station DID somehow make it down to Earth in "android/robot boyfriend" mode and meet Winslow or Momo-tan - what kind of interactions would occur? Or worse...Station meets Pint-size?

DLcygnet

• Not quite a lurker

As a side note, am I the only one who's wondering if Station DID somehow make it down to Earth in "android/robot boyfriend" mode and meet Winslow or Momo-tan - what kind of interactions would occur? Or worse...Station meets Pint-size?

1, Winslow: "Daddy!"
2, Hanners-Station-Momo love triangle. Cause Momo is just as cute and neurotic as Hanners, what's a guy to do?
3, Pint-size: "You sly dog. Remember, screen shots or it didn't happen." *wink*

Toe

If Spathe Ham were merely ferried up from Earth on a supply ship, it wouldn't really be Spathe Ham now would it?

I'm still not sure what DSL and IOK are.

DSL = Dick Sucking Lips.  :-*

Y

• Curry sauce

I wonder why station can't 'beam' down to the surface from time to time. A satellite dish and a holo emitter in Hanners room should be able to do that.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I wonder if someone accustomed to being a space station would feel intolerably cramped in a humanoid body.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Station probably lumps that in with the other forms of communication that are way more "primitive" than the good ol' brain chip.

Jeez, he is acting the clingy parent, isn't he?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Eohelm

• Not quite a lurker

There have been a few different references to HAL on here, but what if that IS Station's reaction? Not the killing, of course, but becoming a cold machine. I doubt he's used to rejection. From anyone. And I'm pretty sure that he will be rejected by Hanners. So his becoming more like a stereotypical "robot" would somewhat be the equivilant to giving Hannelore the cold shoulder.

I'm guessing it will be that, then he comes to his senses, takes over Hannelore's empty robot body, and he lives in Northampton working at an AnthroPC store or something. That way everybody wins. Station can see Hanners, and Hanners gets to go back to Earth. Without Station guilt-tripping her like he is obviously trying to do. He does it politely. He does it sounding very nice and loving. But it's a guilt-trip nonetheless.

And I can still squee about how cute it would be if Marten and Hanners got together after. :D
If Station doesn't ruin that by coming down. Y'know, "keeping an eye on her for HannerDad." Being just as clingy a parent as he is acting now.

With Jeph, it's hard to know. Some people juggle geese.
I can't think of anything cheeky but appropriate. This will have to suffice.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

If he is, that brings Hannelore's total of clingy parental figures to a whopping one.

This makes me think; Station explicitly said he loves her like a daughter; he might consider himself a rightful parent, especially given her mothers coldness and her fathers inadvertent neglect. Since he was apparently the only one who could get through to Hanners, Station might feel like he's entitled to her company, or at least has the right to ask her to return. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually felt a little resentment towards her real parents for failing her.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Long hair Hanners <3
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Even if the station needs some supplies now and then, and it probably does, using a habitable spaceship for doing so would be an absurdly tremendous waste of resources.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Eohelm

• Not quite a lurker

If he is, that brings Hannelore's total of clingy parental figures to a whopping one.

This makes me think; Station explicitly said he loves her like a daughter; he might consider himself a rightful parent, especially given her mothers coldness and her fathers inadvertent neglect. Since he was apparently the only one who could get through to Hanners, Station might feel like he's entitled to her company, or at least has the right to ask her to return. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually felt a little resentment towards her real parents for failing her.

Which is really slightly upsetting when you think about it, in terms of HannerDad's unintentional neglect. I get the feeling that he really is a loving, caring father...he just never had time. I honestly expected him to be a lot colder, especially after the strip before they went to space where she called to say hi, he was busy, then called back, thinking she was pregnant.

I was honestly slightly surprised at how warm and personable he seemed when we met him in the strip. Which makes me wonder how he would feel if you were right, and Station did resent him for ignoring Hannelore?

Here comes another reference to HAL with HannerDad having to swim through a thin to nonexistent atmosphere in the Station so that he can unplug all of Station's systems, listening to "Daisy, daisy..." because Station wouldn't let him back in the door.

twitch532

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I wish her friggin' hair would grow out again.

Throg

• will accordion for food

zomg

OMG OMG OMG

OMG

So that's why Hanners was taking biological samples from Marten (and who knows who else). She was trying to make sure Station was spying on her, infiltrating her life with super-advanced prototype AnthroPC's. 

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

JAAAAAAAAACQUES
SQUEEZE BOX

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

This place still surprises me. Last thing I'd thought to read about this particular strip would be emotional blackmail, selfishness, et al. He asked for something for himself, yes. He explained why, and ultimately, the decision is up to Hanners. It might not be the sort of thing she expected to have to decide, but she's the one who gets to chose, weighing everything herself. What's wrong with hoping for the answer he wants?

Yes, yes, it's probably not the healthiest thing for Hanners, and la de da the rest. Humans act out of interest for ourselves, with our altruism activating for specific things. If, as we expect, Hanners refuses based on the grounds that she is healthier and happier on the surface, that's still selfishness. It puts her concerns above those of others and ultimately benefits her, the exact definition of selfishness. We can argue until we're blue in the face about positive and negative selfishness, but it remains the same thing.

Ultimately, humans are selfish. I do not condemn our collective selfishness, mind you! It's what led to us surviving long enough to have things like the Internet anyway. It's simply impossible for happiness to exist without someone else's unhappiness.

Also - yes, I wish her hair would grow out again as well. Long hair is the best, always. *shakes head of Fabio-like locks*

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

The argument is probably that since he grew up with her, he should want her best. What he is suggesting sounds a bit uh.. pardon me for this but: Fritzl-y.

squab

• Plantmonster

Regardless of what Jeph said, I'm pretty sure Station's openly disobeyed the Lieutenant, thus violating the Second Law.

Would Pintsize be, well, Pintsize if those laws were actually in effect? He must have broken rule 2 on several occasions.

I feel Pintsize is the epitomy of all that can go wrong with the Zeroth Law.

Hi, everyone. Just made a profile. It was my reward for reading every strip in the past few days. The missus introduced me to the series.

Isn't he the epitomy of everything that goes wrong because of the LACK of the Zeroth law?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

To me "emotional blackmail" would be threatening to dump her or slit his wrists unless she did what he wanted.

Didn't his speech amount to "We've been like family for a long time and I'd enjoy it if you moved here"?

Would a culture that practices filial piety say that Hannelore is obliged to say yes? As pointed out above, Station is more of a parent to her than the contributors of her genetic material are.

(I still think that what he's doing is like asking a butterfly to get back in the cocoon).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Which is really slightly upsetting when you think about it, in terms of HannerDad's unintentional neglect. I get the feeling that he really is a loving, caring father...he just never had time. I honestly expected him to be a lot colder, especially after the strip before they went to space where she called to say hi, he was busy, then called back, thinking she was pregnant.

I was honestly slightly surprised at how warm and personable he seemed when we met him in the strip. Which makes me wonder how he would feel if you were right, and Station did resent him for ignoring Hannelore?

Here comes another reference to HAL with HannerDad having to swim through a thin to nonexistent atmosphere in the Station so that he can unplug all of Station's systems, listening to "Daisy, daisy..." because Station wouldn't let him back in the door.
With a crew of over 100 people, I'm sure shore leave alone would require at least monthly habitable transportation. And you are forgetting, there is a HUGE space station in orbit with artificial gravity and it is so spacious, guestrooms with just 2 beds exist. There's not overcrowding. Hanners hasn't been there in 10 years and her spacious room is INTACT. Ground to Space lift costs can't be even close to what they are in our world. I'm thinking TWO orders of magnitude cheaper if not THREE. Stop thinking about it in terms of what it costs in real life to get cargo into space. Those costs just do not apply.

specter177

• Balloon animal serial killer

Regardless of what Jeph said, I'm pretty sure Station's openly disobeyed the Lieutenant, thus violating the Second Law.

Would Pintsize be, well, Pintsize if those laws were actually in effect? He must have broken rule 2 on several occasions.

I feel Pintsize is the epitomy of all that can go wrong with the Zeroth Law.

Hi, everyone. Just made a profile. It was my reward for reading every strip in the past few days. The missus introduced me to the series.

Isn't he the epitomy of everything that goes wrong because of the LACK of the Zeroth law?

He's not exactly harming humanity, and the zeroth law inevitably leads to humanity being slaves to the robots.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

1. I don't think Boyfriend-bot is still in Hanner's closet. She was last seen packing it up to send back to dad (before pinching it in the "butt"). I doubt severely that Hanners would store it, since she KNOWS what would happen if Pintsize got a hold of it.

2. Given that AI's have "changed careers" before in the QC universe - Leda, for example (back in #1997), said she was the AI on a submarine - Station could somehow "resign" as the AI for SS-ECT and go dirtside into a new AnthroPC body. I don't think Hannerdad would have a huge problem with getting another AI up there to replace him. It'd be a bit difficult, but it would work.

3. The concept of an AI "bonding" with a human could be something that was built-in when the first AI was developed. It's possible that Station "bonded" with Hannelore, even as he tried to "figure her out". In doing so, he developed those feelings of "parent, sister, therapist" - IOW, he essentially started to "love" her.

4. Clinton insinuated that Doc EC was partially responsible for the creation of the first AI; do you think perhaps his motivation may have been to try to find some way to get through to his daughter? (And why do I think there's a trope for that somewhere?... oh wait, that's right: Caprica.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

With a crew of over 100 people, I'm sure shore leave alone would require at least monthly habitable transportation. And you are forgetting, there is a HUGE space station in orbit with artificial gravity and it is so spacious, guestrooms with just 2 beds exist. There's not overcrowding. Hanners hasn't been there in 10 years and her spacious room is INTACT. Ground to Space lift costs can't be even close to what they are in our world. I'm thinking TWO orders of magnitude cheaper if not THREE. Stop thinking about it in terms of what it costs in real life to get cargo into space. Those costs just do not apply.

TOMORROW: The mechanics of how coyotes use mail order to kill roadrunners.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Eohelm

• Not quite a lurker

I think you quoted the wrong section. We were discussing parental neglect and what Station may or may not have thought of it. You're looking for a couple of other different people. Read it all beforehand, I suppose?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up