Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And the moment of the week is....?

YB and Otterphile.org
- 5 (8.9%)
How's the wine? "It's - It's very good."
- 0 (0%)
That's good. Everyone has been thrilled to see you again. Especially me.
- 0 (0%)
In fact, I was hoping I could convince you to stay. (M-more wine? Glugglugglug)
- 0 (0%)
I miss you, Hannelore.
- 0 (0%)
Your mind was the greatest puzzle I was ever presented with...
- 0 (0%)
...a sparkling intellect, a kind heart, and a boundless capacity for joy.
- 2 (3.6%)
...a friend, a sister, a daughter. I grew to love you.
- 0 (0%)
But I never considered the possibility that you'd stay (on Earth) forever...
- 0 (0%)
So the only solution was to ask you if you could find it in your heart to return... And stay.
- 0 (0%)
I don't like remembering my childhood...
- 0 (0%)
You're the one good thing I have from back then...
- 0 (0%)
...You're the reason I have friends, and a job, and a LIFE.
- 0 (0%)
But that's just it - I have a life. And it's down there, on Earth.
- 6 (10.7%)
I love you too, Station. But I can't stay. I'm sorry.
- 4 (7.1%)
...That's pretty much the answer I was expecting. (I'm sorry.)
- 0 (0%)
Is it really so great, down there?
- 0 (0%)
It's big and loud and dirty and scary, but... it's full of wonderful people and amazing things.
- 4 (7.1%)
As long as I know you're happy down thre, that will be enough.
- 0 (0%)
Shall we stay here and watch the world go by for a while? (I'd love to.)
- 1 (1.8%)
WHUMP! "I'm okay! I'm okay!"
- 34 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2156-60 (2-6 April 2012) Questionable Content Discussion  (Read 57064 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

We'd best be careful in trying to apply the Campbell/Asimov Three Laws Plus One to the QCverse; Jeph has baldly stated AIs in QCverse pretty much have free will and "it's a good thing they seem to like us." (It's in his Tumblr somewhere; go for it.) So I'd infer the Laws aren't in force here. Let's not put ourselves in the position of the newspaper reporter who was told to call Asimov for a comment on why the Three Laws failed after an assembly-line robot pinned and killed a worker who went inside the safety cage while the robot was in operation.
As for the ease of transport from Hannerdad Station to the ground and back up, others besides me have noted EC-101 is a luxury transport, what with those Boeing Business Class seats. (Definitely not acceleration couches; they're angled wrong to the aerospacecraft's centerline.) Not everyone might get to fly that way, but Ellicott-Chatham Technologies Space Systems Division clearly has delta-vee to burn. Transport's not a problem, even if the pilot occasionally forgets his "pants."
As for the mechanics of coyotes using mail order to (attempt to) kill roadrunners, it's simple: Failure is always an option.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

specter177

• Balloon animal serial killer

In somewhat unrelated news, I've decided to do another archive binge, and I'm amazed at how subtly Jeph's art changed strip-by-strip, but how drastic the change is from #1 to now.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

As for the mechanics of coyotes using mail order to (attempt to) kill roadrunners, it's simple: Failure is always an option.

"With ACME products, failure is not an option! It's standard equipment in everything we sell!"
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

To modify a famous Tsiolkovsky quote:
"Station was the cradle of Hannelore.  But one cannot live in the cradle forever."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

EDIT: We might want to go easy on our usual outrageous comments, as Jeph may not be a very happy camper right now...

Why, you ask?

Quote from: jephjacques (on twitter)
I think I just got banned from ustream for drawing a cat with a boner
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2012, 19:33 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Elfa

• Not quite a lurker

She lives in a world of Anthropomorphic PC's that can have human like bodies.  Why not just take a copy of the AI and stick it in a human-like Anthro PC and go back to Earth.

Then you can have a story line where Hanner's Anthro PC falls in love with Station and a crap storm begins...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Essentially, Elfa, that's what I suggested. It's not like Hannerdad couldn't get another AI to take over Station's duties.

Station might find an APC body a bit confining, though. And how would he get along with Pintsize, Winslow, and Momo?
Just another Joe like 46

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

Staying on the station? Blasphemy of the highest degree!
If she gets written out of the strip, Jeph WILL be hunted down by the angry mob!
I've already sent out a petition/ sign up sheet to the rest of Minnesota. If Mr. J does remove Hanners, he will find out first hand what "Minnesota Nice" really stands for. :x

On to Station coming to earth, I think that it really just does not have a high opinion for anyone or anything that does any action so primitive as walk on the ground. I also do not think that it/ he would lower himself to the level of a lesser machine, and that he/ it would not confine him/ itself to something as small and fallible as a bipedal sex toy (as would be the case of the robotic boyfriend). Why would he not lower himself? Because as a machine, Station must have run through all logical solutions to its problem already, and judged each in turn. The fact that it decided not to download itself into any robot without Hannadad's knowledge shows that it does not believe that this method would be the most effective. Also the fact that it is asking Hanners to stay on the station shows that it believes the best and most likely only way to logically stay with her is to have her stay out in space with it. Whether this is caused by arrogance or logical conclusions, Station has made its own choices.

I also think that if he did get over his own inhibitions and decided to do the illogical thing and go to earth in a robot body, Station would have many terrible series of events that destroyed it repeatedly and eventually wiped its memory of everything that it ever knew. Cause Jeph's sense of humor and karma work like that.
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Station might find an APC body a bit confining, though.

After omniscience, omnipresence and omnipotence in and of its evirons, I thik this qualifies as understatement. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...and I think you just answered the question as to why Station would d/l himself (he identifies as a male in his holo-projections) into an AnthroPC and go down to earth with Hanners.

It is totally and completely irrational. And it would show Hannelore how much he really cares for her. (Think of what Marten did with Vicki for a second).

If Jeph can get past Ustream being stupid, I'm betting on it happening.

EDIT: And Carl-E - it'd be rather interesting if he chose to do this during THIS particular week on the ol' calendar.
Just another Joe like 46

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

My first read through and opinion is this...

Station being relatively selfish and callous to ask such a thing of Hanners.  Station was no doubt a help to Hanners growing up and set her on the path of establishing herself and getting to as close to "normal" whatever it really means in the long run. 

I think it'd be a bit of stalling in her development to stay.  Space is nice and all but...You got your cooky scientists, AIs, and robots. 

She's made leaps and bounds living together with normal folk.  She's as central to the QC Earthlings and they are to her.  She learns how to cope and deal with issues by being around them.  And them being around her and her innocence and her own issues, make themselves better peeps.

And that doesn't even get into the Hanners/Marten dynamic.  I dunno bout the rest of you, but one of my favorite moments so far in this comic has been Marten's creation of the "worry hat" and those two or three strips that dealt with it.  Hell, Marten makes her better a better person but hell, she's probably had a bigger hand in making ole' Marty a better bloke.  You really see his sensitive and caring side and heck, his passivity drops a little round her. 

At any rate.  Don't think it's fair for Station to ask this of her, what do I know?   :psyduck:

And as sweet as ole' Station is, still find it kinda creepy.  And if he returned with her in the bot, even creepier.  Just can't get past the whole most likely created to deal with Hanners' mental issues and being that intimate from a psychological aspect to go from therapist friend to anything more than just a close friend.  Too strange for me, even given the QC universe.

frankwolftown

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • You make everyday special

Spathe ham and waffles.

I want space ham!!!   :-D

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

We have a comic.

And... that has to be the best strip in a long time.

You can SEE the tears starting to form in Hanner's eye.
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Wait, I thought Hannelore had left the station far more recently than ten years. Like, more like 2 or 3. She hadn't been off the station all that long when she met Marten, had she?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Stupid space dust in the air again :'(
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

specter177

• Balloon animal serial killer

Wait, I thought Hannelore had left the station far more recently than ten years. Like, more like 2 or 3. She hadn't been off the station all that long when she met Marten, had she?

Where did she say it had been ten years? I was guessing more like 4 or 5.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Speculation says she's only been gone for roughly five-six years. She'd only been off the station for a few years when she met Marty.

EDIT: In looking back at Wednesday's strip (2158), I realize she's holding a pamphlet that says, "SCENIC NORTHAMPTON".
Just another Joe like 46

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

I agree. Considering Jeph's problems tonight, he really nailed the expressions.

Oh, and thanks to him for not making us wait until Monday for Hanners' decision.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Quote from: Station's internal thoughts
My little Hannelore is all grown up!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

emeraldbeacon

• Not quite a lurker

Friday's Comic:

Station: "I... understand.  I was just hoping to be a part of your life.  But I suppose if Earth is so important to you, the least I can do is see you home..."
VRRRT VRRRT VRRRT
Hannelore: "...What's that siren?"
Station: "I redirected my maneuvering thrusters. Re-entry will begin in two point seven minutes..."

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Station's not going to go HAL on everyone, is he?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

you know station, if you weren't too stuck up to pick up the damn phone once and a while, you wouldn't be having this problem.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Where did she say it had been ten years? I was guessing more like 4 or 5.

Nowhere in the comic, but some posters here keep saying it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

There has been a lot of speculation as to how long the time difference was between, essentially, panel 3B of yesterday's comic (2158), and panel 2 of 515 (when we first meet Hannelore).

Based on what Dr. Case said in 2134, it was a kind-of sudden thing; one day she decided to get up and leave for Earth, and she was gone. Nowhere has there been any clear statements as to how old, or how long ago, that was.

Just simply based on guesses, she must have already been on Earth (and, assumably, in Northampton) for a few years when Faye and Marten moved into their current apartment. And, she must have been well established by the apartment manager for being "the lady who vacuums at odd hours sometimes" (wayyyy back in strip 313).

She may very well have come to NoHam at the same time Faye did. The only difference is that Faye actually wandered out to the local bars, where Hanners spent the first three years of her time disinfecting her apartment...
Just another Joe like 46

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

"And that's about when he whipped out the holo-penis."

Carl-E

• Awakened

Really?  REALLY??    You go there NOW?!?

Sheesh...

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier

Why would someone who thought of her as a family member whip out his junk? Or did I read something wrong?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

No; that was an inane, immature, and inappropriate comment.  But I guess that while publicly disapproving of UStream's action (and JustinTV's previously) in banning Jeph for drawing a cat with a boner, I shouldn't simply censor it as I was tempted to...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I dont think Station is even able to download itself into any humanlike droid body. Thats because Station is too vast - after all, it has to operate a full spacestation.
Carpe Diem

squab

• Plantmonster

My first read through and opinion is this...

Station being relatively selfish and callous to ask such a thing of Hanners.  Station was no doubt a help to Hanners growing up and set her on the path of establishing herself and getting to as close to "normal" whatever it really means in the long run. 

I think it'd be a bit of stalling in her development to stay.  Space is nice and all but...You got your cooky scientists, AIs, and robots. 

She's made leaps and bounds living together with normal folk.  She's as central to the QC Earthlings and they are to her.  She learns how to cope and deal with issues by being around them.  And them being around her and her innocence and her own issues, make themselves better peeps.

And that doesn't even get into the Hanners/Marten dynamic.  I dunno bout the rest of you, but one of my favorite moments so far in this comic has been Marten's creation of the "worry hat" and those two or three strips that dealt with it.  Hell, Marten makes her better a better person but hell, she's probably had a bigger hand in making ole' Marty a better bloke.  You really see his sensitive and caring side and heck, his passivity drops a little round her. 

At any rate.  Don't think it's fair for Station to ask this of her, what do I know?   :psyduck:

And as sweet as ole' Station is, still find it kinda creepy.  And if he returned with her in the bot, even creepier.  Just can't get past the whole most likely created to deal with Hanners' mental issues and being that intimate from a psychological aspect to go from therapist friend to anything more than just a close friend.  Too strange for me, even given the QC universe.

I'm pretty sure Station existed all along. Or at the very least was created to run the STATION. Seems a bit odd to create a sentient robot where the ADDITIONAL features are managing an ENTIRE FREAKING SPACE STATION.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

"Don't you see, Station? If I were to stay here with you, who would people inappropriately ship Marten with? Who would the bear-hat fanboys lust after? Who would be in those terrible fanfictions with Marigold? And Jeph's readership, Station. It would drop by half. Maybe more. I just...I can't afford to stay."

</tongueincheek> in all seriousness, though, that was very sweet. And sad. And full of truth.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Once again, Hannelore demonstrates her firm grasp on common sense.

Jeph is on a roll here.
-EDIT: Even the comic's title has just the right amount of poignancy to it.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

These are all great drawings of Hannelore, but I especially love her expression in panel three. So much going on; you can tell she really doesn't want to hurt Station. But she's doing what has to be done.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

trstn

• Not quite a lurker

Station's not going to go HAL on everyone, is he?

"You cannot do that, Hannelore..."
I'm not an English native. I do check spelling and grammar up to my abilities. If you find mistakes, do not throw them at me. That'll be ridiculous...

Alchemy

• Not quite a lurker

I bet when they get back to Earth, something wild will have happened.
Someone got in an accident, or more Russian spies, or Dora gets a boyfriend. Something interesting happened.
And then, flashback!

steveh11

• Plantmonster
    • steveh11's story page

Stupid space dust in the air again :'(
Yeah, I found some of that, too. :-)  Jeph's got really good at making me go all "D'awwwww". :-)
"Nature always obeys Her own Laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Logically, if Hanners' life is on earth, to get Hanners to stay all Station has to do is destroy the earth.
Or, at least, the relevant portions of Northampton…
Is Station armed or were the sentient defence satellites a different AI/Hannelore messing everyone around again?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Once again, Hannelore demonstrates her firm grasp on common sense.
My guess: Station will console himself by being proud of her for that.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2012, 01:34 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Sad strip. You can see how she doesn't want to hurt him, but yeah... It has to be done :(

Filias

I am sad that she can not embrace the station, I think it  need one now.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Prediction for tomorrow: Holohugs and tears. Station will accept Hannelore's explanation. He will not go HAL...

... but the lights on the station will dim for a moment, as he temporarily loses control of some subroutines.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

These are all great drawings of Hannelore, but I especially love her expression in panel three. So much going on; you can tell she really doesn't want to hurt Station. But she's doing what has to be done.
Yes, very much so, and the drawing is superb. But I find Hannelore's eyebrow-on-top-of-her-hair distracting. I know it's a manga convention, and Jeph often does it, but it's extra-obvious in this strip.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I think that's still a reminder of how occasionally unkempt/unruly Hanner's hair can get.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I was thinking how much fun it would be if the whole reason Hanners was in Northampton in the first place was a toirist brochure that just happened to be laying about the space station because someone riding up on the spaceplane picked it up at Bradley to have something to read on the flight up.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened

"Come to scenic Northhampton!  We have buskers

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Awwwww, Hanners, my childhood was full of dark and scary things too, and I also had someone who was the one good thing I remember about it and without who I would be in a padded cell or dead.   It is nice to have that person, but you are right, you have a good life, going backward is out of the question.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

TOMORROW: The mechanics of how coyotes use mail order to kill roadrunners.
C'mon, that was fully documented throughout the 40s and 50s.

I think you quoted the wrong section. We were discussing parental neglect and what Station may or may not have thought of it. You're looking for a couple of other different people. Read it all beforehand, I suppose?
The person I meant to quote was hung up on the expense of space travel and how frequently could the station (little s) be resupplied. I have no idea how I missed so badly.

"Don't you see, Station? If I were to stay here with you, who would people inappropriately ship Marten with? Who would the bear-hat fanboys lust after? Who would be in those terrible fanfictions with Marigold? And Jeph's readership, Station. It would drop by half. Maybe more. I just...I can't afford to stay."
And assuming I didn't screw this up, Dr. ROFLPWN wins the thread!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I adore the art in this strip. Great example of Jeph's ability to draw complex expressions.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

But I find Hannelore's eyebrow-on-top-of-her-hair distracting. I know it's a manga convention, and Jeph often does it, but it's extra-obvious in this strip.

Aaaaaaaaaah shit, now you ruined it for me. I didn't noticed it before.

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

Hello all, first time poster/long time lurker here.

I find this conversation between Hanners and Station very demonstrative of her backstory and character development. For me, it brings to mind Faye's conversations with her mother, sister, and the musing at her father's grave.

It's such a growing up story. So many people have had family pulling at them to come back "home" where home is good for the parent (or parental figure) but not for the growth of the one leaving. To me, it often points out the insecurity and/or selfishness of the one staying behind.

Faye's mother finds it good for Faye to strike out on her own (behind the crazy daughter snark.) Marten's parents seem to encourage independence for their son - with a bit of protective lioness mother thrown in. Hannelore's parents are brilliant people but clueless emotionally. Dora's parents seemed to be so involved with each other and traveling that Dora and Sven raised themselves. We don't know much about Marigold's parents. That could also be a really interesting development story.

Sorry for my first comment to be so rambling, but I'm just really loving this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up