Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And the moment of the week is....?

YB and Otterphile.org
- 5 (8.9%)
How's the wine? "It's - It's very good."
- 0 (0%)
That's good. Everyone has been thrilled to see you again. Especially me.
- 0 (0%)
In fact, I was hoping I could convince you to stay. (M-more wine? Glugglugglug)
- 0 (0%)
I miss you, Hannelore.
- 0 (0%)
Your mind was the greatest puzzle I was ever presented with...
- 0 (0%)
...a sparkling intellect, a kind heart, and a boundless capacity for joy.
- 2 (3.6%)
...a friend, a sister, a daughter. I grew to love you.
- 0 (0%)
But I never considered the possibility that you'd stay (on Earth) forever...
- 0 (0%)
So the only solution was to ask you if you could find it in your heart to return... And stay.
- 0 (0%)
I don't like remembering my childhood...
- 0 (0%)
You're the one good thing I have from back then...
- 0 (0%)
...You're the reason I have friends, and a job, and a LIFE.
- 0 (0%)
But that's just it - I have a life. And it's down there, on Earth.
- 6 (10.7%)
I love you too, Station. But I can't stay. I'm sorry.
- 4 (7.1%)
...That's pretty much the answer I was expecting. (I'm sorry.)
- 0 (0%)
Is it really so great, down there?
- 0 (0%)
It's big and loud and dirty and scary, but... it's full of wonderful people and amazing things.
- 4 (7.1%)
As long as I know you're happy down thre, that will be enough.
- 0 (0%)
Shall we stay here and watch the world go by for a while? (I'd love to.)
- 1 (1.8%)
WHUMP! "I'm okay! I'm okay!"
- 34 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2156-60 (2-6 April 2012) Questionable Content Discussion  (Read 56413 times)

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Since Akima mentionned Wuxia before, I can risk a partial answer based on some movies I have seen. Sometimes the plot revolves, at least in part, around a teacher tracking down a student who turned evil. That is, especially if said student uses his teachings for evil. And that is assuming the student's family is unable to perform the duty of stopping their rogue relative (which, by the way, isn't a specifically Confucian nor Chinese concept, at least nowadays - I've seen it as a plot element in Japanese works, too).

Also, it's not rare for students to get back to their teacher for, say, advice on the matter(s) of study. Or to show them, and thank them for, the result of their teaching if they did something remarkable with it. Or to assist them in teaching new students if the teacher is getting old.

As far as I understand it, as long as it is teachings-related, it's okay.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

We've been able to infer the station is in LEO from Hanners' remarks starting shortly after she showed up in the strip (sunrise and Strauss music every couple hours) and when she pointed the station out to Sven (on the pretend date) as "that moving dot." An object in orbit would have to be in a low, fast orbit for it's motion to be discernible to the naked eye (I saw Mir during a pass once, just at sunset; it was going at a pretty good clip relative to the star field, but vanished into the Earth's shadow at zenith. For HannerDad station to be visible later at night, as the "pretend date" apparently was, it would have to be at higher altitude than ISS or Mir, and/or inclined out of the Earth's shadow cone.)

Though in LEO, HannerDad station orbits higher than the real-world ISS judging from the apparent size of Earth in the strip views vs. what we see  in photos and videos from ISS, which is in a 95-minute orbit between 205 and 250 miles altitude,  giving us a noticeably curved horizon but no "global" view. Skewbrow's done more of the math, and more fun facts and figures are here.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I just realized something akin to Akima's observations - before spending time in the messy environs of Northhampton, with her germ-laden friends, she was probably so phobic that she never even thought of touching Station.  After all, she wouldn't even willingkly touch her father...

But now, after time with these friends and "occasional physical contact" (sans shtupping), she's comfortable enough to lean on a friend. 

The fact that she tries speaks volumes for her development! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Ouch! Those are some hard floors to fall on. On the bright side, this rules out fanfic holosexings, right? My psyche demands that I assume I am right.

I must crush your hopes and dreams.  Canon never stops a truly determined/crazed/clueless fanfic writer.  A good fanfic writer will find a way to make their ideas work with canon.  A crazed fanfic writer won't care what canon says, they will write their idea no matter what.  A clueless fanfic writer won't realise their idea is counter to canon because they haven't paid enough attention to canon.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

And sometimes you get one that is simply a loose can(n)on.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier

We all need somebody to lean on.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

dawwwwww

Comedy romance moment
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

(looks up at the MOTW poll)

We're having one of those "the most recent is the best" things going on here, aren't we?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

vsonics

• Plantmonster

It does appear so, but for me it wasn't because it was the most recent. I think it would have been my favorite even if it happened on Monday.

The moment is really sweet and the panel where she actually falls is adorably hysterical. Not to mention that everything from Station's face to the way that Hanners is picking herself up looks wonderful, especially with the world just moving along behind them.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

(looks up at the MOTW poll)

We're having one of those "the most recent is the best" things going on here, aren't we?

I generally try to avoid doing that as much as possible, but this time I did vote for the most recent, because, well, it WAS the moment of the week.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

... by building up on, and crowning, all the other moments of the week (and some moments of the preceding weeks).
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Does this mean anything beyond the bond developed as teacher and student, or does it imply that even that bond is immoral, and it should only exist as teacher teaches, student learns and moves on?
The former. The relationship between teacher and student is fine, and Confucianism teaches that continuing respect and gratitude from student to teacher is admirable. It is any relation beyond that involved in teaching that is condemned. Confucianism is not unique in this of course, but takes it perhaps further than many other systems. Romantic or sexual relationships between teacher and student are regarded as tantamount to incest, even when both are adult and not biologically related. This is a major theme in Jin Yong's wuxia novel 《神雕侠侣》(English title "Return Of The Condor Heroes") and its several adaptions to television, in which the protagonist Yang Guo and his teacher Xiaolongnü fall in love in defiance of Confucian ethics. Similarly in the recent film《剑雨》(Reign Of Assassins), a professional murderer condemns the characters of a teacher and student who have married, and this is played completely straight without a hint of irony.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

WAYF

• Beyoncé

This, I think, is the perfect moment to end the space arc, or at least make it so that they start wrapping things up and saying their goodbyes.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh, I don't doubt that they'll be on Spaceship heading for NoHam by next week's end.

Hopefully, Spaceship will remember to render pants this time.
Just another Joe like 46

vsonics

• Plantmonster

I'm more bummed about leaving space than I thought I would be. The arc has been really fun, quite sweet, and I think with an altogether different feel to it than the usual Earth goings ons has. And I'll miss some of the characters, for sure. Lt. Potter the most, probably, because I think she could have some real impact in the lives of everyone were she to be a part of the regular gang, but also Station. 'cause...gosh, just that image of him with his hand pressed up against (his own?) glass is enough to make me love him despite his faults.

On the other hand, I'm also interested to see what's been going on back home and especially see how this latest space adventure is going to fit into their lives back on Earth.

But I do hope that they're just not back on Earth on Monday. At the very least, I'd promise to leave my door unlocked and not to throw anything in exchange for a really rousing goodbye song before they go.

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

But that's just it - I have a life. And it's down there, on Earth.
This was just a really touching moment and it showed Hanner's development to this point. I'm going to miss the space arc... there is just so much that they can do there! And for all his faults I'm going to miss Station, Hanners and him seem to be close still and I think that they will miss each other for a while... going to miss Potter more though. I mean, come on... "FUCK YEAH HUG THE SHIT OUT OF HIM!" Potter is crazy. And I will miss Spathe ham/ Francis (who is a rather nice guy, really!) because stuff. Marigold and Francis would be cute together...  :-P
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference

Francis may reappear yet! A little lecturing tour takes him through a certain town via a specific girl's college, where he runs into Marten.. etc.

I don't know about Lt. Potter.. she seems kind of harder to write in since Marten has been the main person to actually hang out with her and we haven't had a link quite strong enough to bring her into the normal comic. She could just turn up one day and go "I needed a drinking partner and I'm a security officer on a space station: how hard do you think it would be for me to find you?" but it's all ifs and buts and maybe's.

I'm kind of thinking maybe we'll come back to find Dora and Jim have had another date? It would be an interesting little jab for Jeph to assault us with the results of something we didn't see going on.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Damnit, I really can't choose my Moment of the Week. Can't we all log votes for "I love you too Station, but I can't stay" AND "I'm okay! I'm okay!"

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I don't know about Lt. Potter.. she seems kind of harder to write in since Marten has been the main person to actually hang out with her and we haven't had a link quite strong enough to bring her into the normal comic. She could just turn up one day and go "I needed a drinking partner and I'm a security officer on a space station: how hard do you think it would be for me to find you?" but it's all ifs and buts and maybe's.
And then she meets Elliot...

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

Potter may be fired for that drunken exclamation at the party... But I really hope not. If she does eventually come to the regular comics, then it should be by her own power and choice. (Also, we have enough female characters, right? Right? No? Ok...)
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Oh, even better, she overdrinks at the Horrible Revelation, goes wild, Elliot has to get her out of the pub... Romance ensues.

Count me as an official Abbie/Elliot shipper (by what she said, he might be quite her type, after all).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And the moment of the week is....?

YB and Otterphile.org    4 (7.8%)
How's the wine? "It's - It's very good."    0 (0%)
That's good. Everyone has been thrilled to see you again. Especially me.    0 (0%)
In fact, I was hoping I could convince you to stay. (M-more wine? Glugglugglug)    0 (0%)
I miss you, Hannelore.    0 (0%)
Your mind was the greatest puzzle I was ever presented with...    0 (0%)
...a sparkling intellect, a kind heart, and a boundless capacity for joy.    2 (3.9%)
...a friend, a sister, a daughter. I grew to love you.    0 (0%)
But I never considered the possibility that you'd stay (on Earth) forever...    0 (0%)
So the only solution was to ask you if you could find it in your heart to return... And stay.    0 (0%)
I don't like remembering my childhood...    0 (0%)
You're the one good thing I have from back then...    0 (0%)
...You're the reason I have friends, and a job, and a LIFE.    0 (0%)
But that's just it - I have a life. And it's down there, on Earth.    6 (11.8%)
I love you too, Station. But I can't stay. I'm sorry.    4 (7.8%)
...That's pretty much the answer I was expecting. (I'm sorry.)    0 (0%)
Is it really so great, down there?    0 (0%)
It's big and loud and dirty and scary, but... it's full of wonderful people and amazing things.    3 (5.9%)
As long as I know you're happy down thre, that will be enough.    0 (0%)
Shall we stay here and watch the world go by for a while? (I'd love to.)    1 (2%)
WHUMP! "I'm okay! I'm okay!"    31 (60.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

---
I think this is one of the most one-sided "MOTW" polls I've seen...
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Well, seeing as nearly the whole week was building up to that moment, there wasn't really much choice! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

-no shipping please-
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up