THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 600186 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #2550 on: 10 Jul 2013, 06:06 »

God, I tear up at the dumbest things so I completely understand. Stories about pets always get me. And ones about little kids.

Sad puppy stories? Crying.
Happy puppy stories? Crying.
The Notebook? Crying.
"So You Think You Can Dance" contemporary pieces? Crying.
Shrek? Crying. (not kidding.)

Some of us just have leakier faucets than others....
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2551 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:16 »

I shed a tear once. It sent me into a violent rage. The records are sealed but the loss of life and property damage was incredible
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2552 on: 10 Jul 2013, 15:38 »

Our recording box was reset during an update so I didn't get to watch the last two episodes of the doggy show. :(

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2553 on: 10 Jul 2013, 15:44 »

My wife gets really angry with me when ours does that, or when the broadcasting company gets the timing of the program signals wrong.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2554 on: 10 Jul 2013, 16:44 »

I've got a green thumb (and don't know how to set the focus on my camera).

(click to show/hide)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2555 on: 10 Jul 2013, 16:48 »

If i wanted a functional starfighter (not a science fantasy one like something from star wars) it would have to be a Viper.
All TV and movie space-fighters are very soft science-fiction at best. BSG is only marginally better than Star Wars in that regard, despite decades of improvement in special-effects techniques. B5's Starfury is a little better than BSG in avoiding lazy aircraft-carrier tropes, but still raises awkward questions, unless you turn your science-brain off.

They're soft military science as well. For theoretical void combat there is absolutely no good reason to have star fighters of any kind from ANY known continuity. The Star Marines series by Ian Douglas is pretty decent SciFi with solid science at least from the time, and where things really only get muzzy is applied alien tech that cheats, and starfighters on the grounds of rule of cool (his fighters are better then most) but the fact remains it's a waste of resources to create a fighter when you could be putting that much more weapons, targeting computers, reaction power, armor and life support into a behemoth. If we ever go to war amongst the stars it shall herald the return of battleship and dreadnought to their place at the center of naval (space type in this case) combat.

What kind of distances are we talking about with these fights, though? Assuming close-to-light speeds are possible, it's viable to have battles at very, very long ranges. Like earth-to-moon. Which will cause even miniscule errors in angle measurements to make any kind of shot go wide by miles. A lot of smaller ships will basically be impossible to hit. Also, with a void between ships, you cannot really have any kind of weapons that take down more than one ship per shot. A swarm of small ships with something like nuclear armaments that's able to penetrate shields would probably be able to take down very large things, and even though the dreadnought took down most, you'd probably see some slip by.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2556 on: 10 Jul 2013, 17:10 »

Garand Marine, I like the paper.

Only one contention:
The Union was the aggressor against the south, which was attempting to secede through democratic means.

I think the people at Fort Sumter might disagree with you about this one.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2557 on: 10 Jul 2013, 21:05 »

That particular nitpick will be debated till the American Civil War is taught in Ancient Terran History, and they still won't have an answer.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2558 on: 11 Jul 2013, 06:55 »

It seems the Lost Cause narrative is still alive and well then?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ackblom12

« Reply #2559 on: 11 Jul 2013, 07:00 »

Absolutely. It's not uncommon to hear it called the War of Northern Agression in several parts of the South. Also downplaying the role of slavery. My thoughts on these things are 'not pleasant' at best.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2013, 07:15 by ackblom12 »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2560 on: 11 Jul 2013, 07:21 »

I don't claim to be an expert on the ACW, but some years ago I came across this page by the late Sheldon Brown, a famous cycling guru, but also a man of wide general interests. His analysis of the South Carolina Declaration of Causes of Seceding States, and my subsequent confirmatory reading of that distasteful document, pretty much killed any doubts I had about the role of slavery and slave-owners in initiating the conflict.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2561 on: 11 Jul 2013, 07:40 »

Reader's Digest version: it was about slavery, except when it wasn't.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2562 on: 11 Jul 2013, 08:20 »

States rights is a fancy way of saying "slavery" at this point.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2563 on: 11 Jul 2013, 09:37 »

Whenever anyone I'm talking to calls the Civil War the War of Northern Aggression or says how it wasn't about slavery it is like a verbal fedora. After that point I can disregard any and all things that they say and never talk to them again.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #2564 on: 11 Jul 2013, 09:53 »

I understand your point and I've been there. But consider that people beneath viewpoints you consider abhorrent can be surprisingly kind, understanding, smart. I might have included my late father-in-law, and I certainly include my next-door neighbor. If the abhorrent view is the first thing you know about the person and you withdraw, you won't know the rest.

ackblom12

« Reply #2565 on: 11 Jul 2013, 09:57 »

I know what you mean, but I think this is relevant. It can really kind of fit in with any dominant class.

http://courtneystoker.tumblr.com/post/55179727336/fuckingrapeculture-blacksentai-white-dudes

"White dudes have this thing where they believe your best friend in the world can have opposing political ideas. You’re supposed to be able to have healthy debate and disagreeing shouldn’t harm your friendship.

That’s gross and stupid. Its really easy to say that when all your disagreements are theoretical. Its easy to say when none of the laws passed actually effect your life. Fighting with your best friend about corporate regulations, school charters, educational funding, abortion, health care, voting restrictions, drug laws, taxes and all sorts of stuff is cool and lively because none of it is going to actually leave you in a bad spot.

Its different for the rest of us. I can’t be friends with you if you think I shouldn’t be allowed to vote. We can’t be friends if you think my friends shouldn’t have the ability to designate
whatever gender they want and have that be legally recognized. We can’t be friends if you think I don’t deserve health care. Or if you think native children should be ripped away from their cultures and people. We can’t be friends if you think closing down health care clinics in an attempt to end safe legal abortions is a good thing.

All these theoretical political ideas and lively debates effect real people, and I won’t be friends with someone who disagrees with me on them. Because disagreement means you don’t see me or a whole bunch of my friends and family as human beings worthy of rights and respect."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2566 on: 11 Jul 2013, 10:18 »

Someone on the B5 newsgroup asked jms why Starfuries existed. As best I remember his answer had to do with either numerically overwhelming defenses or slipping through them and releasing unpleasant things, and preventing others from doing the same.

When anything can carry a nuclear warhead, small mobile things are adequately puissant.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #2567 on: 11 Jul 2013, 10:44 »

I know what you mean, but I think this is relevant. It can really kind of fit in with any dominant class.
http://courtneystoker.tumblr.com/post/55179727336/fuckingrapeculture-blacksentai-white-dudes
Wow! That's powerful and there's little I'd disagree with.

My neighbor is glued to Fox News. It feeds his anger. He knows it does, but he doesn't change his information sources. We don't even talk about politics. His wife, talking to my wife, once used the N-word. They were confidantes, good friends if not best friends.

When my wife died before my eyes and his wife heard the approaching siren, without knowing what was happening she knew my front door was locked and hustled over with her key to let the the paramedics in. Since then they've had me over to dinner most Monday nights. We do for each other. I think we'd sacrifice some little bit of our wealth for one another. It's a rather loving relationship.

I abhor their political views. But what do I know? We're just three old white people, beneath the notice of people with weightier matters on their mind.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2568 on: 11 Jul 2013, 11:01 »

I disagree with a lot of people on a lot of subjects and I still manage to be friends with them. Social liberals and fiscal conservatives when mixed in an individual tend not not make friends for some reason. I never understood just how controversial "leave me the hell alone and do your own thing... and stop goddessdamn taxing me so much" could be.

On a holy shit we live in the future note...

I am online at 30,000ft

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #2569 on: 11 Jul 2013, 12:20 »

I have a sudden urge to chug a big cup of Dr. Pepper with lots of ice in it. Too bad I'm in a public library that doesn't allow food or drinks.
Super-villain in training.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #2570 on: 11 Jul 2013, 14:58 »

For some reason, I just remembered the Pledge of Allegiance, which I don't think I've recited since middle school. And in retrospect, it's very creepy to consider that we have people in primary school who recite it mindlessly every day.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2571 on: 11 Jul 2013, 15:19 »

"White dudes have this thing where they believe your best friend in the world can have opposing political ideas. You’re supposed to be able to have healthy debate and disagreeing shouldn’t harm your friendship.

That’s gross and stupid. Its really easy to say that when all your disagreements are theoretical. Its easy to say when none of the laws passed actually effect your life. Fighting with your best friend about corporate regulations, school charters, educational funding, abortion, health care, voting restrictions, drug laws, taxes and all sorts of stuff is cool and lively because none of it is going to actually leave you in a bad spot.

Its different for the rest of us. I can’t be friends with you if you think I shouldn’t be allowed to vote. We can’t be friends if you think my friends shouldn’t have the ability to designate
whatever gender they want and have that be legally recognized. We can’t be friends if you think I don’t deserve health care. Or if you think native children should be ripped away from their cultures and people. We can’t be friends if you think closing down health care clinics in an attempt to end safe legal abortions is a good thing.

All these theoretical political ideas and lively debates effect real people, and I won’t be friends with someone who disagrees with me on them. Because disagreement means you don’t see me or a whole bunch of my friends and family as human beings worthy of rights and respect."
i agree with this so completely.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2572 on: 11 Jul 2013, 16:03 »

For some reason, I just remembered the Pledge of Allegiance, which I don't think I've recited since middle school. And in retrospect, it's very creepy to consider that we have people in primary school who recite it mindlessly every day.
http://wondermark.com/736/
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2573 on: 11 Jul 2013, 16:17 »

But consider that people beneath viewpoints you consider abhorrent can be surprisingly kind, understanding, smart.
Kind? If someone thinks I am sub-human because I am not white, or of lesser value because I am female, they are not "kind" within any reasonable definition of that word. At all. Ever.

Its different for the rest of us. I can’t be friends with you if you think I shouldn’t be allowed to vote. We can’t be friends if you think my friends shouldn’t have the ability to designate whatever gender they want and have that be legally recognized. We can’t be friends if you think I don’t deserve health care. Or if you think native children should be ripped away from their cultures and people. We can’t be friends if you think closing down health care clinics in an attempt to end safe legal abortions is a good thing.

Ackblom12 hits the nail on the head. People are entitled to their opinions, and I fully support their right to express them too, but they are wholly, solely, and inescapably 100% responsible for their opinions and how they choose to express them. The notion that people should be regarded as "kind" while holding and expressing, by word and deed, thoroughly vicious opinions, is simply failing to hold them accountable, in a culture of impunity for privilege.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2574 on: 11 Jul 2013, 16:27 »

Maybe it's age.  I've had experiences like Redball's, neighbors who through their actions show themselves as caring, concerned people but who hold opinions (political & otherwise) that I find offensive.  Does one confront, and have the person close off, or engage with them, model goodness and appeal to their better nature when such issues arise? 

I personally prefer subversion...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Papersatan

« Reply #2575 on: 11 Jul 2013, 16:42 »

I am kind and tolerant, and accept that people can be products of their culture and era.  Sometimes, kind and wonderful people from a dominant class don't think their words or actions carry the meaning they do.  But, I also expect people to be capable of rational thought and self-examination and to be better people than they were raised to be.  So I give them once chance.  Someone says something terrible or offensive, and I calmly try to explain why it is not ok.  If they are unwilling to think about it, to reexamine their beliefs and their behaviors...  done, we can't be friends.  If they can recognize that their prejudices are not ok, and that they need to work to get beyond them, I can be tolerant of their learning process, even if it sometimes includes frustrating debates where they figure out what things they were taught as children were bullshit.

I don't have to, or even want to agree with my friends about everything, but there are some issues which are not up for debate.  We can disagree about policy priorities, or the particulars of how to get things done, but we can't disagree on fundamental issues of human equality, no matter how much fun you are at a party.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2576 on: 11 Jul 2013, 18:29 »

Random thought: Try to avoid trees with birds when cycling at night. I apparently caught one, or more, birds surprised when I cycled under them.

Now I had to wash sprayed, watery bird droppings off my jacket and my helmet. Unpleasant.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2577 on: 12 Jul 2013, 22:46 »

Mmmmmmmm

There is excellent pizza and fish in this part of the world. I must now search out SUSHI!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2578 on: 13 Jul 2013, 00:28 »

Absolutely. It's not uncommon to hear it called the War of Northern Agression in several parts of the South. Also downplaying the role of slavery. My thoughts on these things are 'not pleasant' at best.

My great-grandmother always used to echo her prior generation's sentiments with these exact words: "Don't you dare call it the Civil War! There weren't a damn thing civil about it!"
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2579 on: 15 Jul 2013, 00:32 »

I was changing my signature, thinking about the squirrel, and the line "stick with me and you'll never go hungry again" popped into my head.

You can say what you want, but I think Scar has the most badass villain song video ever.

Well, maybe second to Frollo's Hellfire.

The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

mtmerrick

« Reply #2580 on: 15 Jul 2013, 13:30 »

I read that as frodo's hellfire and my brain started playback of the music from that awful animated lord of the Rings musical. D=

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2581 on: 16 Jul 2013, 13:46 »

If you read the number of replies in the rules board from top to bottom, it goes like this:
In binary, that's 32+8+2 = 42  :psyduck:

Papersatan

« Reply #2582 on: 16 Jul 2013, 14:25 »

I think if I get invited to a 'naughty' halloween party, I might buy a gallon of liquid latex and go as the Venus of Willendorf.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2583 on: 17 Jul 2013, 01:02 »

Wouldn't you need to cut your arms off for that, or am I thinking of the wrong Venus?

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2584 on: 17 Jul 2013, 02:04 »

You are thinking of the Venus of Milo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Willendorf

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2585 on: 18 Jul 2013, 01:04 »

As a consequence of doing some work in the admin area of the forum, I noticed the proportion of members of this forum who registered using a gmail address.  It was even more than I expected:  45%
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2586 on: 18 Jul 2013, 08:31 »

I'm donating to charity specifically so I can get new return address labels... does this make me a terrible person?  :psyduck:

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #2587 on: 18 Jul 2013, 08:47 »

It makes you a trader.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2588 on: 18 Jul 2013, 16:11 »

Sometimes when wandering around Wikipedia, I look through my browser history to see what path I took. I just realized I went on a Wikipedia link-clicking journey that took me from Detroit to Somalia.  :psyduck:

(click to show/hide)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #2590 on: 19 Jul 2013, 04:25 »

the 4th from the last explains it all  :mrgreen:

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #2591 on: 19 Jul 2013, 09:46 »

http://www.xefer.com/2011/05/wikipedia

Possibly one of my favorite sites on all of the internet. Aside from here, of course.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2592 on: 19 Jul 2013, 09:55 »

the 4th from the last explains it all  :mrgreen:
Having grown up in a town that is considered to be part of Appalachia, I would have to agree. That place makes third-world countries look good in comparison.  :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #2593 on: 19 Jul 2013, 15:04 »

Having lived in the 3rd world and having spent a decent portion of my childhood visiting Crossville, TN (which is in a dry county) for Thanksgiving every year, I will happily confirm.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2594 on: 19 Jul 2013, 16:53 »

Dry counties are terrifying hell holes to me.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #2595 on: 21 Jul 2013, 21:19 »

Dry counties are terrifying hell holes to me.
Whenever I went to Dallas I made sure to take a trunk full of booze for the inevitable room party at A-kon.
Super-villain in training.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2596 on: 21 Jul 2013, 21:30 »

...Dallas is a dry county? Certainly didn't seem like it the few times I went there.

Papersatan

« Reply #2597 on: 21 Jul 2013, 21:47 »

Red indicates 'dry' and yellow 'semi-dry'

There doesn't seem to be any standard for what 'semi-dry' means though. 
My county in Michican seems to be semi dry but I can drink at a restaurant or bar, buy liquor, beer or wine at a grocery store, a gas station or a liquor store on any day of the week, get my beer to go from a bar, or even have beer, wine, or liquor delivered.   

My county in NY seems to be wet, though I can only buy liquor or wine from a liquor store, can't get alcohol delivered, or to go from a bar, can't by beer before noon on Sunday, and liquor stores must be closed one day a week (but not necessarily on Sunday). 
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2013, 21:57 by Papersatan »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2598 on: 21 Jul 2013, 22:16 »

Thank the goddess my new home state of Delaware is more civilized then all that horseshit.

Papersatan

« Reply #2599 on: 21 Jul 2013, 22:37 »

Delaware's liquor laws are not that liberal.:

Last sale is 1 am.  no off-premise sales before noon on Sundays and no booze in grocery stores. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98   Go Up