THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 600099 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #4850 on: 10 Jun 2014, 19:16 »

I fucking love the pale blue dot quote.

and papersatan's brilliant idea just made me gain 10 lbs.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4851 on: 10 Jun 2014, 20:52 »

For some reason I find it strange when people say the word "kitten" instead of "kitty". Why would anyone not say "kitty"? It's so much more fun to say!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4852 on: 11 Jun 2014, 03:23 »

Probably because 'kitty' can mean both an adult cat and an infant one, while 'kitten' specifically refers to an infant cat.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4853 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:43 »

I never really got that, since "puppy" means "young dog", shouldn't "kitty" mean "young cat"? It's not like people don't call adult dogs "puppy" if they're particularly playful.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4854 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:51 »

In the case of kitten, -en is a diminutive ending, as in maiden, chicken (originally) - the base 'kit' being a version of cat.  Kitty is an affectionate formation from kitten.

Puppy comes from the Old French popée, poupée meaning doll, toy, plaything - through being used to mean a small dog used as a lady's pet or plaything.  So the -y ending there has a completely different origin.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4855 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:58 »

Still, if kitty is derived from kitten, doesn't that mean kitty should be used for young cats? Sure, it's still used for all cats sometimes, but so is puppy for all dogs. Even large ones :wow:

Btw I hope this is clear as "I prefer it" and not "you're wrong for using kitten" because the latter just isn't true.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4856 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:05 »

We naturally place (domestic) cats and dogs into the position of infantile companions, and so it often seems natural to use the "young" versions of their names indiscriminately as a term of affection or endearment; I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4857 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:09 »

I do wish we had a less grumpy option for a cat emoticon.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #4858 on: 11 Jun 2014, 05:25 »

We naturally place (domestic) cats and dogs into the position of infantile companions, and so it often seems natural to use the "young" versions of their names indiscriminately as a term of affection or endearment; I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
The interesting thing is that kitten see themselves as our young as well.

The domestic cat can cross-breed with wild ats, the biggest difference between the two is that domestic cats still retain their infantile behaviour.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4859 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:01 »

I thought that was only true for dogs? I heard that cats go feral if they're not accustomed to humans, even when raised by a domestic cat.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4860 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:11 »

I think they have both, both the infantile behaviour and the feral one. Which is also why they both speak baby-cat language and adult-cat language.

I know my cat was always feral when he was outside, but as soon as he saw me he always went all "MEOOOOOOW" and came running

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4861 on: 11 Jun 2014, 08:11 »

I call all dogs "pup" but reserve puppy for young dogs specifically. Likewise, I call all cats "kitty" but reserve kitten for young cats. Kitty is a much better word than cat!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4862 on: 11 Jun 2014, 08:24 »

'Feral' refers to something more than just the behavior of a domestic animal when it is outdoors away from humans. Feral animals are of a species that has been bred for domestication, but which are not themselves domesticated. 

A feral cat is one that has grown up without human contact, and they cannot be kept as pets because they never learned to live closely with humans.  When Animal shelters are notified of large populations of feral cats, they generally gather them up, spay and neuter them, take any kittens away (as they can still be raised as pets) and re-release them, either in the same location, or on the property of someone willing to have them (a farmer perhaps). 

Domestic cats raised by humans, do make lots of noises that feral cats do not, because they are noises we reward with food and attention. 

Fun fact: The pigeons found in US cities are actually feral descendants of versions of domesticated rock doves. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4863 on: 11 Jun 2014, 09:47 »

Humans can also become feral - it's rare but babies are sometimes raised by animals, and less rarely and more tragically in my view are neglected for years without anyone realising, with the result that they simply never learn to communicate or interact with people.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #4864 on: 11 Jun 2014, 11:02 »

In the men's toilets at work there's been a coin at the bottom of a bowl for over a day. I think it's quiet presences asks two interesting questions:

a) would you stick your hand down the loo for 10p?
b) would you be happy to crap on the Queen's head?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4865 on: 11 Jun 2014, 11:04 »

Something to aim at?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4866 on: 11 Jun 2014, 16:21 »

I'd happily do b) regardless of payment, 10p or otherwise.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LocoJoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4867 on: 12 Jun 2014, 15:04 »

I have an almost limitless supply of rubber bands at my job, so naturally I like to fling them at random objects and coworkers [never in the face, I'm not that evil].

Then, I found this:

...So, naturally I made one of my own.

I might not have a job soon.
"No one's going to draw you a map. You gotta walk your own path."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #4868 on: 15 Jun 2014, 03:28 »

that is something you should not have shown me >:D
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #4869 on: 15 Jun 2014, 13:59 »

Fun fact: The pigeons found in US cities are actually feral descendants of versions of domesticated rock doves.

A few days ago I was thinking about how interesting it is the way pigeons (as well as squirrels) react based on population density of humans in the area. In the surban-ish area I live in they will fly off or run away if they so much as lock eyes with you. On campus, you can get within maybe an arms reach of one, but if you try to go towards one they'll go off. In NYC, you could accidentally brush against a pigeon that's standing on the sidewalk and it wouldn't seem to mind.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #4870 on: 15 Jun 2014, 14:03 »

I have seen a similar effecr with ravens (or crows, cannot tell them apart). In my home city, you barely see any. In my current town, which is a lot smaller and more peaceful, they will sometimes hop by within half a meter of you.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #4871 on: 15 Jun 2014, 14:05 »

When I went to NYC, the Central Park pigeons walked right up to me. I think they wanted food. Here the squirrels behave similarly. I've had a squirrel walk up to me while I was carrying food and lay flat on the ground as a way of begging for some food. Somewhere on my computer I have a picture I took of him.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #4872 on: 16 Jun 2014, 08:04 »

I have 2 pigeon stories from my time living in NYC.

On my way in to class one day, a pigeon decided to hop on the train. He rode the train for one stop, turned around and hopped off. I'll never forget that.

Another story I'll never forget (for different reasons):

I was headed to the Virgin magastore in Union Square to pick up the new RHCP album on the day it came out (Stadium Arcadium). As I'm crossing the street, I feel something brush against the upper left part of my head. It was windy and crowded, so I figured maybe someone dropped a plastic bag or something. I reached up to brush it away and felt feathers. And a foot. I was so taken aback that I didn't even react at first. Eventually it sunk in that a pigeon flew into the side of my head and I was amused yet still slightly shaken. Little did I know, this would eventually come back to haunt me. A few years ago, Nick bought a sun conure. I was hesitant but knew that it would make him happy. I tried to warm up to it and let it sit on my hand for a while. It then decided that it would travel up my arm and sit on my head. Apparently, that was my cue to panic and I started to cry. We started the process of re-homing Birdie shortly thereafter.  :-\
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Papersatan

« Reply #4873 on: 16 Jun 2014, 09:50 »

When we moved to Michigan the squirrels took some getting used to.  The are a different species than the squirrels in Rochester. Rochester has Eastern Grey Squirrels, and these are Fox Squirrels.  The Fox Squirrels, in addition to being larger and a different color have much different behavior.  The will let you get much closer than grey squirrels; I've had to play the "which way are you going? I'll go left, no my left..." game a number of times when walking because they just don't run away. On the campus this is partially because people feed them, but even where I live they behave this way.  I did some research and it seems that before humans, Grey squirrels lived in dense forests and are not comfortable being on the ground for long, while fox squirrels lived in meadows near the edges of woods, so they don't run to a tree for safety at the first sign of trouble.

Also, over the course of this post I have learned how to spell squirrel.  Thanks Chrome squiggle line of spelling help.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4874 on: 16 Jun 2014, 09:58 »

Squirrel!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #4875 on: 16 Jun 2014, 10:07 »

"Please sir, may I have some more?"
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4876 on: 16 Jun 2014, 10:50 »

The other day May rang me about her eBay order and my parents potentially looking after it for her, and when I realised who was speaking I made an incredibly high pitched 'oooooooh' noise of realisation that I'm still embarrassed about.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4877 on: 16 Jun 2014, 11:00 »

Haha if it's any consolation, I didn't notice! I am still in a bit of a panic about this blinking chair, do you know anyone in Nottingham who might be prepared to have it for a bit? My hunt is thus far failing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4878 on: 16 Jun 2014, 11:23 »

Everyone I know from Nottingham has left now, I'm afraid. Only one I do know lives in one room in a house share with no common area and the room barely fits a bed in it. Sorry :/

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4879 on: 16 Jun 2014, 11:50 »

I have a couple of feelers out, don't worry. At this rate I won't have found anyone before I am able to go get it anyway!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4880 on: 16 Jun 2014, 15:48 »

Random Thought: Today I fell asleep on the couch, in front of the TV. My dad does this, and I'd always take him to his bed when I found him that way.

Moments like these make me wish I'd have kids one day.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4881 on: 17 Jun 2014, 06:17 »

The girl from the Co-Op was flirting with me, based on my NUS card photo. Was a bit weird. I did not flirt back. At all.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4882 on: 17 Jun 2014, 09:41 »

I've heard of rocking chairs, but not blinking chairs. Do you sit in them when you're making friends with a cat?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4883 on: 17 Jun 2014, 10:09 »

No, because they're fifty miles away and the courier still hasn't got back to you  :x

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4884 on: 17 Jun 2014, 14:20 »

Was a bit weird.
What's weird about that?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4885 on: 17 Jun 2014, 15:10 »

If it's both blinking and bleeping, it probably needs batteries. I wonder if they're included.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4886 on: 17 Jun 2014, 15:19 »

Oh hey, I have a five digit post count. How about that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4887 on: 17 Jun 2014, 15:51 »

Let us know when you reach 10,191 then we'll call you Muad'dib
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4888 on: 17 Jun 2014, 15:53 »

I still have to read Dune.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4889 on: 17 Jun 2014, 15:58 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4890 on: 17 Jun 2014, 16:20 »

Was a bit weird.
What's weird about that?

It is not often that a girl initiates flirting with me. Especially when I am buying mushrooms, toilet roll and absolutely nothing else.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4891 on: 17 Jun 2014, 16:41 »

Such things are more likely to happen now that you're in a relationship. It's just a law of the universe.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ruineverything

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #4892 on: 17 Jun 2014, 17:25 »

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #4893 on: 17 Jun 2014, 17:33 »

god I hope you are Jeph's new joke account
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4894 on: 17 Jun 2014, 17:56 »

Oh my dear, sweet, summer child.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #4895 on: 17 Jun 2014, 22:15 »

Go do that now. We'll wait.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #4896 on: 18 Jun 2014, 05:59 »

I have an almost limitless supply of rubber bands at my job, so naturally I like to fling them at random objects and coworkers [never in the face, I'm not that evil].

Then, I found this:

...So, naturally I made one of my own.

I might not have a job soon.

I took this and made a diagram and showed my boss, and he stared at it for 5 minutes and kept repeating "What the fuck is wrong with you?!" and then we spent the next 10 minutes discussing design improvements. I fucking love going to work every day.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4897 on: 18 Jun 2014, 18:48 »

Go do that now. We'll wait.
I'll do that someday, but you should wait here instead.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98]   Go Up