THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 603159 times)

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
Random thoughts
« on: 05 Apr 2012, 20:50 »

Have you ever just wanted to say something? Something like, "Banana dog boat, banana dog boat, hozana!"? Well, put it here. Why? Because this is the Random Thoughts thread.

So I removed enough fur from my cat tonight to create a kitten. Somehow, my cat has enough hair left to cover the house in a fine layer of his sheddings. I give up.
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2012, 20:54 »

"I'm here," he said, arrivingly.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2012, 21:00 »

"I'm here," he said, arrivingly.

"Bertrand! You weren't supposed to be home for another two hours!" Hilda exclaimed, praying that the pool boy had made his escape out the window... which unfortunately for him was two stories up.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2012, 00:35 »

"Where did you come from?" asked the groundskeeper, fishing the nearly naked young man out of the hedge. 

Pointing up, he murmered "The balcony..."

(It's the punchline of a very old Mel Brooks joke I heard as a kid, and it's stayed with me, but this is the first time it fit somewhere else)
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 07 Apr 2012, 04:03 »

I wonder what happened if you could split a person in half. Not bisecting them, or anything gory like that; I'm thinking of putting them through a sieve that catches half of the person that goes through it. Say you take every second molecule in a person's body and move it exactly three feet to the left. You'd essentially end up with two of the same person, only both are 50% less solid. In theory they'd still be able to function, but for how long?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Gnomes2169

• Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #5 on: 07 Apr 2012, 08:28 »

Spent the last two days painting my parent's room a chocolaty-color... is it strange if I now want to eat the room?

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 07 Apr 2012, 13:59 »

Yes Gnomes2169, it is strange to eat a room. Not unheard of though.

Random thought: I balk tackwards all the time. Like.. a "sight slent of licorice". Does anyone else do that?

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2012, 15:29 »

Random thought: I balk tackwards all the time. Like.. a "sight slent of licorice". Does anyone else do that?
I thoo it when I dink of it, and if I dart to stew it inadvertently, I tumsimes mause 500 picroseconds and go ahead with it. But I was lucky to grow up in a punning household, and Saturday Evening Post when I was a child carried spoonerized tairy fails, such as "Beeping Sleauty" and "Back and the Jeanstalk." Check this entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #8 on: 07 Apr 2012, 15:59 »

I just came from tvtropes and really, really wanted that to be a self-demonstrating article. But alas.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #9 on: 07 Apr 2012, 16:36 »

I wonder what happened if you could split a person in half. Not bisecting them, or anything gory like that; I'm thinking of putting them through a sieve that catches half of the person that goes through it. Say you take every second molecule in a person's body and move it exactly three feet to the left. You'd essentially end up with two of the same person, only both are 50% less solid. In theory they'd still be able to function, but for how long?
It's a fascinating question, but I don't think any mechanical solution would be healthy. But if there were an instantaneous way to do it, or simply to make every other molecule go away....You might end up with the little orange-haired scientist. Maybe she was the result of an experiment?

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2012, 18:56 »

Ever since I started reading QC, I've had irresistible urges to just say "butts butts butts butts butts..." at random times.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2012, 21:13 »

Next time you insult somebody, call them a Gumble.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #12 on: 09 Apr 2012, 06:41 »

Yes Gnomes2169, it is strange to eat a room. Not unheard of though.

My dad and I used to do something similar in the car during long drives. We'd read all the signs we saw completely backwards. A few favorites were etirpohs and s'mas bulc.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #13 on: 09 Apr 2012, 06:44 »

That takes concentration! Who was driving?

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #14 on: 09 Apr 2012, 10:42 »

If you have 9 extra search bars on Internet Explorer (and are still using IE), I hereby revoke your computer.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #15 on: 09 Apr 2012, 14:03 »

If you have any additional search bars on a computer within my reach, it will be dealt with.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gnomes2169

• Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #16 on: 09 Apr 2012, 14:10 »

I lack the sarcasm to pull of a "Cool story bro."  :-\

Cie

• Not quite a lurker
  • meh.
« Reply #17 on: 09 Apr 2012, 14:29 »

Why do I have to qualify every vaguely half-assed humorous thought with an 'XD' at the end on the web-o-sphere?
"Quotation is a serviceble substitute for wit." - Oscar Wilde

Gnomes2169

• Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #18 on: 09 Apr 2012, 15:43 »

Well there are a few reasons, and I assure you that they are really, really good reasons too... but I can't tell you what they are. It's one of those nice things that we can't have.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:47 »

I'm no biologist, but isn't a lot of stuff that's stored in your brain stored on molecular size? So I think you'd go brain dead instantly. Also, I doubt the spine would be able to hold you up with half of it's original integrity. But it's an interesting concept.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:18 »

As the moecules compressed back to each other to take up the space now between them, everything would collapse to half size. 

You'd get two half-sized versions of the original...

But the brain thing, yeah.  They'd both be dead. 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:37 »

Nah. There's a lot of redundancy everywhere. You'd lose a big chunk of IQ, but I don't think you'd die. People (although mostly children) have lived through losing half their brain (although not half of every bit of brain) and went on to live a mostly normal life.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:46 »

That takes concentration! Who was driving?

Definitely him. I'm fairly new to vehicle operation.  :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:58 »

I'm no biologist, but isn't a lot of stuff that's stored in your brain stored on molecular size? So I think you'd go brain dead instantly. Also, I doubt the spine would be able to hold you up with half of it's original integrity. But it's an interesting concept.

I'm no biologist either. The spine might survive - the remaining half would only need to support half the original weight. The brain most likely would not. Also, don't most cells need all (or nearly all?) of the genetic material to function properly? For the purposes of this gedankenexperiment we may treat DNA as a single molecule, but if each cell loses a randomly selected half of its chromosomes, something is bound to go wrong.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #24 on: 10 Apr 2012, 06:09 »

If you have any additional search bars on a computer within my reach, it will be dealt with.

I have a google search box, and a yahoo search bar. All the male members of my family have expressed varying degrees of horror and disgust, but it collects nectar points for me. 1 point to every 2 searches up to 50 points a month. I'm quite happy to sacrifice two centimetres of screen for free money.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2012, 07:30 »

I've used that "search" box on my toolbar maybe a grand total of once, maybe twice?
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2012, 07:56 »

Which is why Chrome does away with a seperate search box entirely.

I have a google search box, and a yahoo search bar. All the male members of my family have expressed varying degrees of horror and disgust, but it collects nectar points for me. 1 point to every 2 searches up to 50 points a month. I'm quite happy to sacrifice two centimetres of screen for free money.
Interesting. What are those points good for? And do you take a minute or five every first of the month to do 100 arbitrary searches to fill the quotum?

I'm no biologist either. The spine might survive - the remaining half would only need to support half the original weight. The brain most likely would not. Also, don't most cells need all (or nearly all?) of the genetic material to function properly? For the purposes of this gedankenexperiment we may treat DNA as a single molecule, but if each cell loses a randomly selected half of its chromosomes, something is bound to go wrong.
Every human has 2n chromosomes; 23 paternal, 23 maternal. Take 23 of those away, and you'd be in trouble, yes. But every strand of DNA is really two molecules bound together by reversible polar forces, so you can just split every chromosome down the middle and have the cells rebuild the other strand according to the template with any nucleotides that they have lying around.

Gnomes2169

• Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #27 on: 10 Apr 2012, 14:44 »

They won't have the ability to rebuild them, as you are also splitting the deconstructor/ reconstructor codons as well (Killing them instantly). This prevents natural reconstruction of the cell's DNA, since the things that are meant to recreate the DNA are sort of in need of repair themselves.

Also, when the cell is dividing and making more chromosomes, there are completed strands of DNA for that specific purpose. But  by splitting those completely, you are no longer able to code any new strands and the cell dies.

So you would end up with two piles of relatively rapidly decomposing somethings that look vaguely human-ish if we implemented that idea...
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2012, 16:38 by Gnomes2169 »

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #28 on: 10 Apr 2012, 14:50 »

It occurred to  me today that there should be a joke involving a coke dealer and the phrase "blow job." Is there one that I just haven't heard?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2012, 03:13 »

I sincerely wish I could wear the same shoes every single day, but the fact that I've already been doing so for over a year is exactly the reason my shoes smell so bad that I always take them off in the doorways of friends' houses just so that I don't trail footsmell every time I take a step
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2012, 03:21 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #31 on: 11 Apr 2012, 04:40 »

Maybe the split-in-half thing would work better if you grabbed cells instead of molecules?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #32 on: 11 Apr 2012, 06:51 »

Grabbing cells instead of molecules would obliterate millions upon millions of connections in your brain, which I presume is a lot more damaging than reducing each cell's size by half, which maintains most of the connections.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #33 on: 11 Apr 2012, 08:45 »

I farted and it scared my cat.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #34 on: 11 Apr 2012, 08:56 »

Interesting. What are those points good for? And do you take a minute or five every first of the month to do 100 arbitrary searches to fill the quotum?

Nectar points are part of Sainsbury's loyalty card scheme (Sainsbury's is where I do almost all my food shopping, it's my only local supermarket) and 500 nectar points is worth £2.50. A couple of times this year I've discovered I didn't have any money left in my account and paid for a week's shopping out of my points so they're pretty useful.

It detects arbitrary searches (like if you just change one word each time). Why would I do that, when I search for things genuinely all the time? Once I've hit 100 I go back to using google instead.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #35 on: 11 Apr 2012, 09:54 »

Changing one word isn't arbitrary, it's predictable. Arbitrary searches are supposed to be irregular and unpredictable.

I suppose it's sensible to use the toolbar in a way you'd normally do, but for me it'd be hard to resist gaming the system.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #36 on: 11 Apr 2012, 20:52 »

Been there, done that.
Just another Joe like 46

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #37 on: 11 Apr 2012, 21:56 »

Been there, done that.
My cat farted audibly when she was an adolescent. Startled me.

Gnomes2169

• Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #38 on: 11 Apr 2012, 22:04 »

Been there, done that.
My cat farted audibly when she was an adolescent. Startled me.
Yeah, been there, done that. I honestly hadn't thought about cats farting before this happened, but it makes sense if you think about it. I mean, they make gas too...

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #39 on: 11 Apr 2012, 22:10 »

Pretty sure one of mine let one rip tonight. It's the only conclusion I could come to, since there weren't any piles of poo, but it certainly smelled like there was. I blame the old girl.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #40 on: 11 Apr 2012, 22:31 »

Our puppy cuts them in her sleep. 

Under the kitchen table... usually when I'm eating something. 

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #41 on: 12 Apr 2012, 01:15 »

I guess I'm going to marry my favorite internet person and have a baby. Just because of Rugrats. Thanks, Rugrats. I want to show rugrats to my baby.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #42 on: 12 Apr 2012, 05:34 »

An internet friend from many years ago on LiveJournal offered up a cute female friend of his for me to have sex with if I ever visit him in Buffalo, NY.

Considering it.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #43 on: 12 Apr 2012, 07:05 »

Eh, why not?  Buffalo's a nice city. 

:angel:

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #44 on: 12 Apr 2012, 07:59 »

I never understand girls who give it up that easily.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #45 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:18 »

Because they enjoy no-strings sex?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:30 »

I dunno. I guess I'm of the old-school thought process that sex shouldn't be 'just sex'. That it's something one gives to someone one cares about, and not just whoever happens to wander into one's line of sight.

ackblom12

« Reply #47 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:32 »

The generalizations aren't helping you sound reasonable there.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:35 »

Probably not. But meh.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #49 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:36 »

For me personally I'm leaning towards agreeing that sex is something that should be between two people who love each other, but that's based on three years of casual sex and realising that it doesn't really work for how I feel. But to say that everyone else should feel the same way is kind of narrow-minded because I know that a lot of people don't (all the guys I slept with, for instance). It's perfectly reasonable to say "I don't understand that" because understanding does generally start with your own experiences, but going on to say that sex "shouldn't" be just sex gets a bit less reasonable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98   Go Up