THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 603378 times)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #150 on: 08 Jun 2012, 08:49 »

But that sounds so ... convenient.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #151 on: 08 Jun 2012, 09:20 »

There are even people who think that what I really want to be called is Paulo, when my name is Paul.
Eh? Portuguese style? Powlo?

Yup - it seems weird to me, especially given my particularly obvious Englishness.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #152 on: 08 Jun 2012, 09:44 »

For example, many Chinese surnames begin with the initial that is represented in pinyin as zh (Zhou, Zhang, Zheng etc.). I advise people simply to pronounce zh like the j at the beginning of jungle, jangle, or Joseph.

Wait, seriously? Why didn't I know this, like, ages ago? I could have been marginally less awkward on so many occasions!

Dalsgard....not Duhlsgard, Duhlsgurd, Dalsgurd, Delsgard, Dalesgard......Dals. Gard.

Yeah, but is the first A like the sound in doll or pal?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #153 on: 08 Jun 2012, 10:37 »

I advise people simply to pronounce zh like the j at the beginning of jungle, jangle, or Joseph.

Is the actual way it's actually pronounced kind of like a 'Z' sound, but mixed with an 'Sh' sound? Seriously curious, since I have a fascination with Asian languages.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #154 on: 08 Jun 2012, 13:35 »

Dalsgard....not Duhlsgard, Duhlsgurd, Dalsgurd, Delsgard, Dalesgard......Dals. Gard.

Yeah, but is the first A like the sound in doll or pal?

definitely like pal. I dunno...maybe it's just easy for me because I'm used to it...
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #155 on: 08 Jun 2012, 16:20 »

Is the actual way it's actually pronounced kind of like a 'Z' sound, but mixed with an 'Sh' sound?
No. The pinyin romanisation has no intuitive connection to what an English-speaker would expect the sound to be. Wade-Giles is no better; it represents the sound as ch. Consider the name of the famous Chinese statesman Zhou Enlai, which used to be romanised as Chou En-lai. People used to pronounce his surname "chow" (rhyming with cow). Now they often say "ʒow", where ʒ is the sound of the French-style j in Frère Jacques. The closest easy English pronunciation to the correct Standard Chinese is "Joe", but taking care to pronounce the o sound "purely", without dipping it so that "Joe" rhymes with "bow" as in bow and arrow.

Zh and J in pinyin are both pronounced in Standard Chinese somewhat like the letter J in English (never like the French J), but with the tongue placed differently. J is pronounced with the tongue forward behind the teeth. Zh is a "retroflex" initial, which means that it is pronounced with the tongue curled back against the roof of the mouth. See this video on how to pronounce correctly the tennis-player Zheng Jie's name for more.

Edit: A missing comma can make all the difference...
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2012, 19:08 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #156 on: 08 Jun 2012, 19:35 »

I think some people are actually simply incapable of imitating the sounds they hear, as opposed to making the sounds they are used to.

If you ever want confirmation, all you gotta do is ask.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #157 on: 12 Jun 2012, 08:36 »

... "WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO GEORGIA!?" is an awesome Washington line...
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Papersatan

« Reply #158 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:20 »

I think some people are actually simply incapable of imitating the sounds they hear, as opposed to making the sounds they are used to.

Many people are incapable of even hearing the sounds they are not used to.  If your native language doesn't use a phoneme it can take a long time to even hear that the sound is different from one that you make.  One of the steps in language tutoring is frequently just getting the student to hear the difference between the two sounds.  I had to do this with my Chinese student and the sounds 'ss' and 'th'.  She was unaware that she replaced "th" with "ss" (brosser instead of brother) and when I tested her we found that in unfamiliar words or words out of context she actually couldn't hear which sound I was making.  She had very good reading skills, so she knew, theoretically, which sound words should be making, because she could spell them, but if I just said the word "myth" or "miss" she couldn't tell which one I had said.

You can't reliably make a sound until you can reliably differentiate it from other similar sounds.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #159 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:23 »

I hadn't thought much about the inability to hear the difference. But my Nashville-raised wife clearly couldn't hear the difference between pin and pen, although she got better at it in middle age.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #160 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:39 »

Many people are incapable of even hearing the sounds they are not used to.  If your native language doesn't use a phoneme it can take a long time to even hear that the sound is different from one that you make.  One of the steps in language tutoring is frequently just getting the student to hear the difference between the two sounds.  I had to do this with my Chinese student and the sounds 'ss' and 'th'.  She was unaware that she replaced "th" with "ss" (brosser instead of brother) and when I tested her we found that in unfamiliar words or words out of context she actually couldn't hear which sound I was making.  She had very good reading skills, so she knew, theoretically, which sound words should be making, because she could spell them, but if I just said the word "myth" or "miss" she couldn't tell which one I had said.

You can't reliably make a sound until you can reliably differentiate it from other similar sounds.
This, exactly this. It's pretty interesting to see just how much automation the brain does to facilitate speech perception. You can even test people on their perception of different phonemes by digitally altering their sound, which shows that there is a very clear boundary between, for example, what an English speaker perceives as a 'b' sound and a 'p' sound. Like this! This boundary, of course, can vary quite drastically from language to language.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #161 on: 16 Jun 2012, 21:11 »

... "Kerfuffle"'s a funny sounding word.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #162 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:10 »

I love the word, use it when I can in an editorial. I checked an etymological on line dictionary: "row, disturbance, c.1930, first in Canadian English, ultimately from Scot. curfuffle."

But my first reaction to "funny sounding" was to think it's onomatopoetic, that maybe it's the sound barnyard fowl make when they're having a spat. It isn't, I suppose, but I like the thought.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #163 on: 17 Jun 2012, 11:59 »

Shorter Oxford offers two possible etymologies:
from curfuffle - Gaelic car 'twist, bend, turn about' + Scots fuffle 'throw into disorder; jerk about; hustle'
or:
from Irish cíor thuathail 'confusion, disorder'

It also describes it as "early 19th century".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Papersatan

« Reply #164 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:14 »

From the full OED third edition goes with the car+fuffle.  Fuffle is an onomatopoeia.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #165 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:30 »

Fuffle is the sound of disorder, jerking about, hustle? OK, but I like my fussing chickens better.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #166 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:45 »

I was gonna take a shower, but then I realised that's a bit illogical when there's this massive thunderstorm outside. So I put on my swimtrunks and went out in the garden to have my shower under thunder.

I call it thunbathing.

Haha! Pun-der and lightning!

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #167 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:49 »

Better than enlightning blunder any day.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #168 on: 11 Jul 2012, 06:17 »

According to my wall clock, it is 24.6 °C in my fridge. That means at least one of them is broken.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #169 on: 11 Jul 2012, 06:43 »

What's your best guess?  :-)
My refrigerator lost its cool a few weeks ago. Compressor worked, but automatic defrost didn't, so cooling coils iced up. Replaced defrost heaters myself.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #170 on: 11 Jul 2012, 07:32 »

According to my wall clock, it is 24.6 °C in my fridge.

What was your wall clock doing in your fridge? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #171 on: 11 Jul 2012, 08:16 »

Well, I wanted to see if it was measuring the temperature accurately.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #172 on: 11 Jul 2012, 08:29 »

So when you put the thermometer in the fridge, did the thermometer reading go up or down?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #173 on: 11 Jul 2012, 09:58 »

It stayed on 24.6, where it has been since it went to 25+ last week, so it must be stuck or something. Everything else still works: time, day, date, week and uh, moon phase. It's that kinda clock.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #174 on: 11 Jul 2012, 10:03 »

I guess that rules out the refrigerator. Digital or dial thermometer?

Papersatan

« Reply #175 on: 11 Jul 2012, 10:10 »

Have you tried boiling adnd then freezing it? This might, uh, not do good things to the other functions though...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #176 on: 11 Jul 2012, 10:11 »

Digital, and all of the buttons have also stopped working. I might screw it open, see what's inside.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #177 on: 11 Jul 2012, 10:34 »

Look at the usual suspects: the reset button, spin the batteries in their holder, replace them....

Papersatan

« Reply #178 on: 11 Jul 2012, 10:35 »

Thump firmly on the side three times, cross your fingers and say "c'mmon c'mmon c'mmmon" when you turn it back on.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #179 on: 11 Jul 2012, 10:37 »

And if all else fails, switching from thumping to whacking usually helps me.

.....can't say it ever does much for the object, but I feel much better.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #180 on: 11 Jul 2012, 12:54 »

Pulling out and reinserting the batteries makes the temperature reading go up incrementally. After four times, it's at 26.2. Fascinating.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #181 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:15 »

Fridge may have been a bad idea.  They're pretty dry, and after taking the clock out you may well have caused a lot of condensation inside the electronics. 

Have fun! 

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #182 on: 13 Jul 2012, 15:46 »

Get one of those silica pellet bags, the ones you find in shoeboxes when you get a new pair. Stuff that clock in a box (sans the batteries) with a couple of those bags in there and it'll help with the condensation.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #183 on: 13 Jul 2012, 16:05 »

Didn't seem to matter, all the parts still work properly and the temperature reading has dropped to a more reasonable. All that just for an amusing non sequitur (literary device).

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #184 on: 21 Jul 2012, 11:30 »

After 3 1/2 QC archive binges and a Girls With Slingshots binge (not including Helen, Sweetheart, Pigborn and 9Chickweek in previous years) ,  I'm about to start XKCD.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #185 on: 21 Jul 2012, 16:41 »

That was my first webcomic.  It's ... a bit esoteric at times, but some of them make me literally LOL, though it's often the really esoteric math/science ones. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder how long homemade grape jam will last, if still sealed? 

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #186 on: 23 Jul 2012, 10:53 »

... "You ever wonder why we're here?"

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #187 on: 26 Jul 2012, 05:30 »

I wish my hair was longer but it doesn't want to grow that long.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #188 on: 28 Jul 2012, 12:47 »

What's a really deragatory thing to call someone specifically from Vermont or to call the whole state?
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #189 on: 28 Jul 2012, 12:52 »

Verc***tians?

I dunno, I'm reaching here.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #190 on: 31 Jul 2012, 20:21 »

EAT THE CHINESE! WE'VE BEEN FARMING THEM FOR EXACTLY THIS SORT OF SCENARIO. WE ARE HUNGRY AND THEY ARE OUR FOOD. EAT, MY FOLLOWERS!

is exactly the sort of thing I've been dealing with today.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #191 on: 01 Aug 2012, 13:22 »

I'm incapable of growing a full beard. I have bald spots in my goddamn face. This angers me greatly. I won't show pics but imagine what Robinson Crusoe would look if he got attacked by a wild miniature lawnmower. That's what I look like unshaven.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #192 on: 01 Aug 2012, 14:09 »

What's a really deragatory thing to call someone specifically from Vermont or to call the whole state?

Something relating to maple syrup?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #193 on: 01 Aug 2012, 14:43 »

I'm incapable of growing a full beard. I have bald spots in my goddamn face. This angers me greatly. I won't show pics but imagine what Robinson Crusoe would look if he got attacked by a wild miniature lawnmower. That's what I look like unshaven.
Similar situation here, only my face is horribly asymmetrical. On one side of my face, I have more hair growth on my cheek, and on the other there's more on my throat. If I ever decide to grow it out, it's going to look pitiful as well as terribly lopsided. Alas, some of us are not cut out for beards; better then to be shaven than to look like a slob.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #194 on: 01 Aug 2012, 18:05 »

Syrplejerks?

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #195 on: 01 Aug 2012, 19:26 »

All of Northern New England makes maple syrup

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #196 on: 02 Aug 2012, 02:23 »

Similar situation here, only my face is horribly asymmetrical. On one side of my face, I have more hair growth on my cheek, and on the other there's more on my throat. If I ever decide to grow it out, it's going to look pitiful as well as terribly lopsided. Alas, some of us are not cut out for beards; better then to be shaven than to look like a slob.

But... but... I WANNA LOOK LIKE ARAGORRRRRRNNNN! And also, when I get old I want to get a long Merlin beard. I will probably grow one anyway and scare my grandkids to death.

Also, mm, maple syrup.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #197 on: 02 Aug 2012, 15:19 »

When did I make 500 posts?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #198 on: 02 Aug 2012, 15:51 »

All of Northern New England makes maple syrup

Yes, but Vermont is really well known for maple syrup and seems to be the most popular outside of New England, or at least around where I am. That's what popped into my head first. I mean other than it being the opposite shape of New Hampshire, I really know nothing about Vermont.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #199 on: 02 Aug 2012, 16:39 »

If you made a scrapbook about the people of Vermont, people would mistake it for an LL Bean catalog.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 98   Go Up