THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 603716 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Re: Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #300 on: 04 Oct 2012, 12:00 »

So you won't make eye contact with them?
I approve of this answer.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Zingoleb

Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #301 on: 04 Oct 2012, 14:02 »

Why is it that I always look at the ceiling while buttoning my pants?

I've realised recently that I jump when I pull my pants on and button them while in mid-air. It's one of the more exuberant ways to make yourself less naked.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #302 on: 04 Oct 2012, 14:10 »

Yeah that would end in me falling on the floor.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #303 on: 04 Oct 2012, 14:31 »

I've realised recently that I jump when I pull my pants on and button them while in mid-air. It's one of the more exuberant ways to make yourself less naked.

Awesome on two levels: That you can do that, and that you just realized that you can and do. Do you jump from a dresser, maybe, for the extra milliseconds? Ever hit the ceiling? Simultaneously pull up socks or tie shoes? All of the above? I admire the exuberance!

Zingoleb

« Reply #304 on: 04 Oct 2012, 14:42 »

It's just way faster than lifting your foot up, pulling the leg up further, repeat, repeat...nope, just jump and yank.

Also there's a television on the dresser that I nearly destroyed during sex last night; I think jumping from the dresser would ensure its destruction.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #305 on: 04 Oct 2012, 17:13 »

This ability brings you closer to divinity, or at least great importance. One definition of mere humanity is this: "C'mon, he puts his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us!"

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #306 on: 08 Oct 2012, 02:02 »

Saturday evening I went to the store to get some milk and cereal when this woman walked up to me to ask wether I could "spare 40 cents, to buy some potting soil". I told her I didn't have any change but would give her some after I made my purchases.
I gave her a fiver when I left because I forgot to ask the cashier for coins and because I figured if you stand outside the supermarket on saturday night asking people for money to buy flowering soil you probably need it more than me.
Really weird.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #307 on: 08 Oct 2012, 02:14 »

Sometimes I get a bit sad that I'm not a musician, because once in a while I wake up with a melody playing in my head that seems to have come out of nowhere. This morning it was a classical-sounding piano tune. I don't really have a way of putting it down, other than asking my sister to play it for me, but she can't look into my head.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #308 on: 08 Oct 2012, 02:19 »

Potting soil? How weird. Is that some kind of euphemism for drugs these days, or did she urgently need to pot up some vegetables?

LTK, can you hum the tune? Then you could record it and get someone to write it down for you.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

VonKleist

« Reply #309 on: 08 Oct 2012, 02:34 »

@LTK: Yeah, go see what the melody actually plays out like, then enjoy because you think you have crafted something original.. then wait until either you yourself or someone else recognizes for just song X's melody one octave up/down/whatever :-)
(and thatīs is what itīs like to be a musician)

Iīve been thinking about the potting soil lady since then and wether she actually wanted soil or not.. She had kind of a hippie thing going on with faded tattoos down her arms and on her wrists and she looked kind of stoned to me. It was so weird that I didn't linger. She just said "ohh, that much?" and I said "yeah, sure" and went.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #310 on: 08 Oct 2012, 03:23 »

You could have just gone in, bought her the bag of potting soil, and gave it to her directly. If that makes her happy, she must have wanted potting soil after all!

I think I already forgot the melody. Crap. Oh well, it was probably an existing one that's slightly modified, like you said.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

VonKleist

« Reply #311 on: 08 Oct 2012, 03:53 »

God dammit. That never occurred to me -.-

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #312 on: 10 Oct 2012, 09:42 »

Random thought:

I stopped wearing deodorant regularly a few months ago. It sort of happened by accident at first, as I'd not completely unpacked from a trip and it wasn't where it belonged, but I've long been concerned about its correlation with Alzheimer's, and my boyfriend is always telling me I smell good so apparently he's not concerned, so I kept not wearing it. (Why, hello, run-on sentence!)

Anyway, I noticed today that my armpits smell like grapefruit.
Ho, ho, ho!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #313 on: 10 Oct 2012, 09:46 »

...its correlation with Alzheimer's...
:psyduck:

Anyway, I noticed today that my armpits smell like grapefruit.
:psyduck:

Okay, first point: Source? Second point: Sour like grapefruit, or citrusy like grapefruit?

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #314 on: 10 Oct 2012, 09:48 »

Exactly like grapefruit. I can't explain it.

Is sour a smell? I thought it was a taste?

And the source must be my scent glands... :psyduck:

Oh, and here's a link to some studies... Everybody says now that there's nothing to worry about, but 10 years ago it was all over the news to avoid aluminum.

Wow, and then I just googled "Does grapefruit smell sour?" and found this article about B.O., which includes the quote: Researchers discovered more male erections when the scents of pumpkin pie, doughnuts, lavender or cinnamon rolls were wafting through the air.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2012, 09:59 by Edith »
Ho, ho, ho!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #315 on: 10 Oct 2012, 10:08 »

Those aren't studies, those are book adverts. I'll go have a look on Google Scholar.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #316 on: 10 Oct 2012, 10:52 »

I think the link between Aluminium and Alzheimer's is thoroughly debunked.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #317 on: 10 Oct 2012, 11:01 »

Aluminum still seems like one of those things you don't want seeping into your body. Even aside from that, many deodorants also include antiperspirants which are also not good for you, from what I've read. I use all natural deodorant... a mix of a roll on that smells like lemongrass and grapefruit and a solid bar that smells like patchouli. The smell isn't as long lasting as traditional deodorants, but it irritates my skin less and it has less nasty chemicals overall.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #318 on: 10 Oct 2012, 11:32 »

Researching Ponies and making websites about them. Oh dear.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #319 on: 10 Oct 2012, 12:28 »

I've heard that antiperspirant isn't very good for your body, but I hate so much to sweat under my arms and it happens pretty much constantly without antiperspirant, no matter how recently I've showered or how cold it is.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #320 on: 10 Oct 2012, 12:32 »

Yay! Good to know, in case I ever start wearing deodorant again!
Ho, ho, ho!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #321 on: 10 Oct 2012, 14:34 »

It's not all deodorant that tends to carry aluminum, it's antiperspirant. Wikipedia tells me that the relevant compound has only been weakly associated with Alzheimer's disease. Strangely, they provide no further mention of its neurotoxicity, although it is explained in the article on Antiperspirant.

Interestingly, they mention that armpit hair plays a role in preventing body odour, because sweat trickles down the hairs instead of remaining on the skin, and it's harder for bacteria to grow on hair than on skin.

So, uh, random thoughts? Nametags are useful. Why doesn't everyone wear nametags, all the time?

Zingoleb

« Reply #322 on: 10 Oct 2012, 14:39 »

I would have to fill that nametag up until it was impossible to read much of anything.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #323 on: 10 Oct 2012, 14:42 »

No reason you can't have multiple nametags. Put one on your back with the name you provide for people you don't like.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #324 on: 10 Oct 2012, 19:25 »

Nevertheless, everyone I know got rid of all their aluminum cookwear...  you still see some at yard sales and the like, no one seems to want it. 

The only aluminum pan we still use is teflon-lined.  I gather there's some debate about the health effects of that, as well...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #325 on: 10 Oct 2012, 19:56 »

Didn't it react with some acidic foods?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #326 on: 10 Oct 2012, 22:18 »

Always.  Never leave anything tomato-based in an aluminum pan...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #327 on: 10 Oct 2012, 23:32 »

Cleans them up nicely.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #328 on: 11 Oct 2012, 05:22 »

So, uh, random thoughts? Nametags are useful. Why doesn't everyone wear nametags, all the time?

My actual name would rarely make an appearance on my name tag. I don't like it when strangers come up, read my badge, and call me by my name, it's creepy. Yes, it'd be convenient, but mostly creepy.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #329 on: 11 Oct 2012, 05:32 »

Yeah I would have a nickname on mine. It's pointless putting my real first name on anything as no one would be able to pronounce it properly, and I would just be annoyed by all the really bad attempts.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #330 on: 11 Oct 2012, 06:48 »

Ugh, I hate people knowing my name when I don't know who they are. I used to prefer the days when I forgot my name badge (they were company issued and required) and I could wear one of the spares. We should definitely not wear name tags all the time, people just need to be less embarassed about saying "I'm afraid I don't remember your name". I have often forgotten the names of my relatives and ex-partners so it isn't like it's an indication of how little I care about the person.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #331 on: 11 Oct 2012, 10:19 »

The only aluminum pan we still use is teflon-lined.  I gather there's some debate about the health effects of that, as well...

Why does everyone hate teflon? I was poking around forums where people had asked for advice re: wedding registries and everyone and their mother was squawking about how it's basically the most vile substance on the planet.

But I fucking love teflon and registered for a shitload of it. Is it going to kill me?
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #332 on: 11 Oct 2012, 10:24 »

No.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #333 on: 11 Oct 2012, 10:28 »

Woohoo!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #334 on: 11 Oct 2012, 10:35 »

Apparently (one of) the only thing(s) that gecko cannot stick to.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #335 on: 11 Oct 2012, 10:49 »

Teflon makes great body jewelry as well.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #336 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:37 »

You have to handwash teflon, but it's not hard to clean and it's non-stick. I don't like stuff (especially cheese) sticking to my pans. Though non-teflon coated ones have their uses, too, and I like having a mixture of both. I want a cast iron skillet, but glasstop stoves do not mix well with cast iron skillets.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #337 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:39 »

I believe it does kill birds, though, so if you have or want pet birds, it's kind of a bad idea.
Ho, ho, ho!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #338 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:40 »

Cats and birds sounds like a bad idea. I'll stick with cats and teflon.

Zingoleb

« Reply #339 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:45 »

I prefer glassware, myself.

Teflon is safe when used correctly, but it's pretty easy to fuck up, from what I've gathered - especially if you use metal in it, which is a huuuuge no-no.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #340 on: 11 Oct 2012, 12:05 »

I think my frying pan is teflon-coated, and I have managed to scratch it which I believe is a Bad Thing. Frankly I do lots of bad things.

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #341 on: 11 Oct 2012, 14:29 »

I prefer glassware, myself.

Teflon is safe when used correctly, but it's pretty easy to fuck up, from what I've gathered - especially if you use metal in it, which is a huuuuge no-no.
So what you are telling me is that I shouldn't cook metal? Dang it. How am I supposed to feed my robot now?
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #342 on: 11 Oct 2012, 14:34 »

Ugh, I hate people knowing my name when I don't know who they are. I used to prefer the days when I forgot my name badge (they were company issued and required) and I could wear one of the spares. We should definitely not wear name tags all the time, people just need to be less embarassed about saying "I'm afraid I don't remember your name". I have often forgotten the names of my relatives and ex-partners so it isn't like it's an indication of how little I care about the person.
But if everyone wears nametags, then someone can't know your name without you also knowing theirs. I'd just like to be able to address people I don't know as something other than 'hey you'.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #343 on: 11 Oct 2012, 14:39 »

That encourages laziness when it comes to memorizing things, though. Like I seriously only have 2 phone numbers memorized since I got a cell phone - mine and my mom's. Everyone else's I struggle with. Memorizing names is really hard, yes, but how offended would you be if EVERYONE had to look at a nametag in order to remember your name? Not just a few people, literally everyone. I'd be annoyed.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #344 on: 11 Oct 2012, 14:46 »

No, it's not that I want to know their name - I want to know them as a person and find out whether I can trust them with my name. It is a gut feeling thing. My name is key to who I am and I don't want to just give it out to people.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #345 on: 11 Oct 2012, 15:22 »

No, it's not that I want to know their name - I want to know them as a person and find out whether I can trust them with my name. It is a gut feeling thing. My name is key to who I am and I don't want to just give it out to people.
Interesting. Although women have good reason to withhold name, phone, address, the way you put it evokes a more primitive concern, akin to people who resent having their picture taken. And these lyrics from "The Naming of Cats":

But above and beyond there's still one name left over
And that is the name that you never will guess
The name that no human research can discover
But the cat himself knows, and will never confess

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #346 on: 11 Oct 2012, 15:54 »

Oh it's not in any way connected to anything that would mean women have more reason to conceal their name than men (I've never felt more threatened than men - probably because I know that men are more likely to be attacked by strangers than women are, and I don't feel at risk from anyone I know). It's definitely more primitive.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #347 on: 11 Oct 2012, 16:33 »

it's 1:30AM, and I'm doing an assignment that's due tomorrow! At two! Yay!

The random thought is that I'm applying Bland's rule a lot, and maybe prof. Bland went to all of the raves and danced with his shirt off, his name is still Bland, so everybody that he introduces himself to must expect him to be boring.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Papersatan

« Reply #348 on: 11 Oct 2012, 16:40 »

May, that makes sense to me.  I always thought that name tags were not just a convenience for customers, but a power symbol.  Knowing my name means you have power over me and can force me to engage in a situation on a personal level.  A simple ma'am or 'you there' or 'hey' can't do that.  It is especially apparent when it is one way, but even in situations when both parties wear name tags it increases the power difference.  For instance in a retail situation, even when your store manager wears a name tag, when he calls you by name, even though you know he has no idea who you are, but is just reading your tag, there is something about that the reaffirms your position int he power structure.  It does not work in the reverse, because he knows you know who he is. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #349 on: 11 Oct 2012, 17:04 »

I googled on name tags and pecking order and dominance and found observations. I suspect there's research about it as well, but I didn't find it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 98   Go Up