THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 604148 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #350 on: 11 Oct 2012, 17:40 »

No, it's not that I want to know their name - I want to know them as a person and find out whether I can trust them with my name. It is a gut feeling thing. My name is key to who I am and I don't want to just give it out to people.
I guess I just don't see it that way, given that your name is just a collection of syllables chosen by your parents because they need something to refer to you by.

Although that reminds me of another random thought I had: How much does your name impact your life? Do people have prejudices connected to certain names, causing them to treat people with these names in a certain way? Do these prejudices shape the behavior of those with the prejudiced names in such a way that their personality starts to be linked with their name?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #351 on: 11 Oct 2012, 17:44 »

yes.  There are studies, I will try to find, which show that in the US having a "black" name means you get chosen less for job interviews even if you have and identical resume to someone with a "white" name. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #352 on: 11 Oct 2012, 17:47 »

It makes me think of the "true name" thing in a lot of fantasy novels. For example, Dresden Files. If you know the true name of a being - human or otherwise - you have power over it.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #353 on: 11 Oct 2012, 18:07 »

Naming something does not give you power over it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ackblom12

« Reply #354 on: 11 Oct 2012, 18:11 »

Actually, that's not entirely true. The moment a name is put to something, whether that's someone's actual name, nickname, a social movement or sexual preference, it changes the perceived nature of it. In that sense it very much does.

Zingoleb

« Reply #355 on: 11 Oct 2012, 21:00 »

It makes me think that oftentimes, the only people who say "I don't believe in labels, we're all just people" are usually white/cisgender/straight/men.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #356 on: 11 Oct 2012, 21:51 »

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #357 on: 12 Oct 2012, 01:15 »

8:00 o'clock, kid is singing Bob the builder.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #358 on: 12 Oct 2012, 04:58 »

Even the Bible recognises this power - God brings each animal to Adam to name, and gives him dominion over them. Then he presents Woman to Adam to name, and does the same... or at least, not in my interpretation he doesn't. But that passage is what people point to when they say that men should have control of their wives. Adam named woman and in doing so, became her master.

LTK, parents choose names usually after a great deal of thought. It is part of a process which shapes the upbringing of a child, in turn shaping his or her personality. The longer you live with a name, the more it comes to symbolise you. That's why teasing and name-calling can be so upsetting, and why people change their names if they don't think it fits who they see themselves as.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #359 on: 12 Oct 2012, 05:18 »

The moment a name is put to something, whether that's someone's actual name, nickname, a social movement or sexual preference, it changes the perceived nature of it.

This is why children's use of nicknames can be so hurtful.  I was always glad that name doesn't lend itself to any of the usual means of forming a nickname.

(I'm sure I wrote this before - but I seem not to have saved it...)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #360 on: 12 Oct 2012, 05:31 »

My birth name is Richard - guess what fun people had with that!

Actually, it became Pilchard. I have no idea why.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #361 on: 12 Oct 2012, 05:45 »

My name and the misspelling and mispronunciation of it has really shaped who I am. I can remember that in high-school, having a guy learn how to pronounce and spell my name properly was very exciting to me. If my name was Mary, this would not have been the case.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #362 on: 12 Oct 2012, 06:14 »

Cats and birds sounds like a bad idea. I'll stick with cats and teflon.

Ha! Yes, I agree with this.

Funny bird story- Nick wanted a sun conure for the longest time. I was not keen on the idea (hello expensive and creepy pet). However, I knew that this thing would really make him happy and he promised that it would be his pet and he would take care of it completely. He bought the bird, I started to ease up around it after a day or so, decided that I'd let it perch on my fingers. It decided that my fingers were not good enough. Started to walk up my arm. I start laughing nervously. It sits on my shoulder, I tense up. It makes its way to the top of my head. I burst into tears.

I have no idea why*, but apparently I can not deal with birds on top of my head.

Needless to say, Nick decided that the birdie had to go and we sold it.

*Although I have a sneaking suspicion that it might have something to do with the pigeon that practically flew into my head when I lived in Manhattan. I was downtown near 14th street and it was windy and busy as all hell. I felt something on my head and went to brush off what I thought was a plastic bag (i have no idea) and touched a bunch of feathers. Not worthy of tears at the time, but maybe my brain formed some bizarre connection and now birds=bad.

yes.  There are studies, I will try to find, which show that in the US having a "black" name means you get chosen less for job interviews even if you have and identical resume to someone with a "white" name. 

That's disgusting. First of all- it's ignorant all the way around. Secondly- people usually don't choose their own names, so why should they be punished for something done by someone else?

What really makes me shake my head are the people who think that it's a good idea to name their kid "Princess" or "Sparkle" (I've actually met children with both of those names). Why do parents feel the need to give their kids names that are going to be completely ridiculous when they reach adulthood? They're not pets, they're people.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #363 on: 12 Oct 2012, 06:24 »

Prejudice isn't usually about punishment. The employers probably don't even realise that they are making that discriminatory judgment based on the names of the applicants, they simply have a gut feeling about their suitability and don't investigate it. When you have a huge stack of applications to get through for one vacancy, I don't think anyone would spend twenty minutes self-examining for each one, even if they might be better off doing so. That doesn't make it ok, of course.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #364 on: 12 Oct 2012, 06:56 »

After some thought, I guess you do have a point.

May, I can't remember if I told you about that unfortunate nickname I picked up my first day out of training at my workplace. I'm still fighting it to this day.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #365 on: 12 Oct 2012, 07:02 »

Don't think so - is it awful?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #366 on: 12 Oct 2012, 07:12 »

Also think about this in an educational setting. Say you have a name that is hard to pronounce and instead of learning how to say it, they ask if they can call you something different and just go ahead and do so. It kind of just strips your identity away and is quite frankly just rude. I mean, I always apologize when I know I'm going to get someone's name wrong and take the time to learn how to say it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #367 on: 12 Oct 2012, 08:20 »

Even worse is when they know they are pronouncing it wrong and keep doing so, making no effort to learn the right way. Personally, I'd rather have someone ask if they can call me something else because they are having trouble instead of making it seem as though my real name is pronounced the wrong way. But I agree- it should be something mutually agreed upon, not just decided by the offending party.

As a teacher, you'd think that they would be more sensitive to things like that. I had some REALLY difficult names to learn while I was student teaching, but I just had to rise to the challenge. It's hard to get someone to like you if you can't say their name right.....
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #368 on: 12 Oct 2012, 10:07 »

It's easier washing up after cooking without fat.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #369 on: 12 Oct 2012, 10:11 »

So true - my fat keeps getting between me and the sink...

Zingoleb

« Reply #370 on: 12 Oct 2012, 10:58 »

When I moved to Tennessee, I had the weirdest time with people mispronouncing my name (as I was going by the time - Ed).

"So what's yore name?"
"Uh, Ed."
"Adam?"
"No, Ed."
"Adam."
"No, Ey-uhd."
"Oh EYUHD! Well why dint'cha say so?"

this happened often.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #371 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:11 »

For some reason, I've derived some semi-twisted enjoyment out of the anticipation of seeing a professor just stop during the initial attendance class. "okay, Nicholas S-... Uhmmm......"
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #372 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:11 »

Very few people have ever spelled my first name right (Lindsey) and almost nobody ever says my last name right. Like to the point when people would ask for our last names for reservations, my mom always said "Harris" instead, because it's how most people mispronounced it. Like I'm pleasantly surprised if someone reads it and pronounces it correctly the first time.

Also my mom's name is Jo. I don't know why most people don't seem to understand that the female version is spelled Jo and only the male version is spelled Joe. Jo is an extremely popular name from my mom's generation, but just as many people her age misspell it as do the younger people. It's not that hard of a name. Mine, I can understand, because there's a bajillion different spellings (Lindsay, Lyndsie, etc.) but come on now. It's just Jo.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #373 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:28 »

I have to admit that I do derive some pleasure from seeing how badly people fuck up my name, both in pronunciation and spelling. They'll even spell it wrong when it's spelled out right in front of them.

Elesia, not Elsie, or Elise, or Lisa, or Alicia, or Annalise. I do understand that it's not a common name but jeez put just a little effort into it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #374 on: 12 Oct 2012, 14:18 »

Don't think so - is it awful?

Well, not in the grand scheme of things. What's most unfortunate is that it has become a slang term for defecation.
Just another Joe like 46

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #375 on: 12 Oct 2012, 14:45 »

... Gangnam Style really needs to stop popping up everywhere. While it's great that people are expanding their horizons, associating KPop as a genre with "That music video with the crazy dance" is somewhat detrimental. It'd be like if all non-english speaking countries constantly played Tenacious D's "Tribute" or Tobuscus' "Dramatic Song" unironically because they thought the video was cool.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #376 on: 12 Oct 2012, 15:51 »

Very few people have ever spelled my first name right (Lindsey) and almost nobody ever says my last name right.

Lindsey is what I would expect as a first name.  Your last name I've never seen elsewhere, but my first guess would be to say it rather like Americans tend to say my name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #377 on: 12 Oct 2012, 17:26 »

Lindsey is what I would expect as a first name.  Your last name I've never seen elsewhere, but my first guess would be to say it rather like Americans tend to say my name.

It's Hargis, but people tend to skip the G (Harris), skip the R (Haggis), or use a soft G instead of a hard G (not like gel, but like go). How is Hodges pronounced in England?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #378 on: 12 Oct 2012, 18:37 »

You'd be surprised how easily messed up a three letter last name is, but like, no one EVER says mine correctly.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Zingoleb

« Reply #379 on: 12 Oct 2012, 18:42 »

People would get my mother's last name (Candelaria) wrong pretty consistently. My favourite once was where some asked for "Miss Candy-Lala".

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #380 on: 12 Oct 2012, 19:00 »

You'd be surprised how easily messed up a three letter last name is, but like, no one EVER says mine correctly.
And a four-letter word. It's my habit to introduce my last name as "Ball, B-A-double-L"

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #381 on: 12 Oct 2012, 19:56 »

And a two-letter word: Ng? Apparently pronounced as "ing.'

But I really wanted to see my 1,000th post.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #382 on: 12 Oct 2012, 21:53 »

Is it Boo-Ah or Bwa or something else?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #383 on: 12 Oct 2012, 23:34 »

Oh man I smell so freaking good right now.

Zingoleb

« Reply #384 on: 12 Oct 2012, 23:38 »

Pics or it...didn't...

...dammit, internet, you only immerse two of my senses! I demand more! More! More!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #385 on: 13 Oct 2012, 00:23 »

How is Hodges pronounced in England?

Plural of Hodge: "hojjiz".  It's just that the short "o" sound, as in "odd" or "pop", often sounds like the a of "ar" when said by Americans.  Your name suffers from the fact that hard or soft g is not clearly defined by the following vowel.  I wrongly guessed "gi" as in "Gillian", not as in "gift".

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #386 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:15 »

What complicates that, Paul, is that I believe many American Gills do use a hard G for their name!

I also would have said Hargis with a soft g. However, I was very confused about that being your name until I went on facebook and discovered why.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #387 on: 13 Oct 2012, 06:03 »

Only reason why I'd misspell "Lindsey" is because I'm thinking "Lindsay", which is my cousin's daughter's name.
Just another Joe like 46

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #388 on: 13 Oct 2012, 06:52 »

I changed my name on fb because I didn't want students looking for me on there. But then I never felt like changing it back... Lindsasaurus Rex is so much more fun.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #389 on: 13 Oct 2012, 07:08 »

I've been sort of wanting to delete my Facebook page for a while and make a new one using Welu T. Dixon (how I go online), then only add internet friends and close tangible friends who either already know about the name or I don't mind if they do.
I don't want to just change the name, I kind of want to disassociate from that account. There's nothing dodgy or embarrassing but I just get the urge to restart once in a while.

Papersatan

« Reply #390 on: 13 Oct 2012, 07:28 »

Plural of Hodge: "hojjiz".  It's just that the short "o" sound, as in "odd" or "pop", often sounds like the a of "ar" when said by Americans.  Your name suffers from the fact that hard or soft g is not clearly defined by the following vowel.  I wrongly guessed "gi" as in "Gillian", not as in "gift".

See I would have said it that way, but perhaps you would still have heard an 'a'.  I am afraid the way I say 'odd' might sound like an 'a' to your ears, squishing vowels into the back of my mouth is the main trait of my accent which results in a lot of  o's sounding like a's.  In Rochester we used to say that you could tell who was not from there by how they said the city name.  It is not R'o'chester, it is Raaahchester. real nasal on the 'aaah'

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #391 on: 13 Oct 2012, 08:37 »

The nasal "a" is really common in northeast cities.  I lived in "Baahfalo" for several years, and found the same in Cleveland, Boston, and Trenton.  Once you start getting away from the population centers. it mellows considerably.  The exception seems to be NYC, which has its own accents. 

I don't use my last name online mainly so that students don't find me. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #392 on: 13 Oct 2012, 08:53 »

Google don't seem to like punctuation - searching for Carl-E yields a lot of people named Carle.  Putting quotes around it just gives Carls with middle initial E. 

This makes me happy. 

Well, relieved. 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #393 on: 13 Oct 2012, 09:58 »

The only thing my name comes up to do with me is a LinkedIn profile that I think I only logged in to so I could unsubscribe, but only for my nickname. I checked image search too to see and there's one pic of me from an abandoned MySpace account.
I tried my email to see if anything comes up, my dA account did so I got rid of the reference to it there. The rest were all the song title I took for my email. Happy enough with that.

Edit: The first result to do with me for just "Welu" is my dA page on page 3.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2012, 10:12 by Welu »

Papersatan

« Reply #394 on: 13 Oct 2012, 10:07 »

Before I was married I was on the first page of search results.  But 'King' is far more common than my maiden name was and now I have to go pages and pages before I find a result that is me.  I used to have most of the first two pages for "papersatan" though.  There is a band called "Rock, Paper, Satan" and they are edging me out.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #395 on: 13 Oct 2012, 10:41 »

Searching "celticgeek" on Yahoo generates ten pages of results, some of which are me, but most of which are advertisements of some sort. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #396 on: 13 Oct 2012, 10:48 »

I just Googled pwhodges, and 9/10 on the first page are me, 9/10 on the second page,  9/10 on the third page, and 2/10 on the fourth.  That's as far as I went.  Now you can see a selection of the other forums I visit!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #397 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:00 »

Pics or it...didn't...

...dammit, internet, you only immerse two of my senses! I demand more! More! More!

Just imagine patchouli and orange and other citrus fruits plus a little strawberry. Fruity as hell. Needs more patchouli but I can't find the specific type I like anywhere. Sadface.

If you google my first and last name, I show up as most of the results on the first 5 pages. It's annoying and I don't like it. I deleted my MySpace account for this very reason, but for some reason it is still showing up. I also have my facebook mostly privatized but I still manage to show up on there as well.

There are also a bunch of pictures that show up of me. Damn it.

Just my first name yields nothing, thankfully, not that anyone could spell it to search for me anyway...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #398 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:21 »

It seems like the top reason to google your own name has changed from vanity to paranoia. Although keep in mind that your google results are not necessarily someone else's google results. Except for Paul's, he's apparently omnipresent.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Papersatan

« Reply #399 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:23 »

When I Google myself I always use IE, because I don't use that for my normal web browsing/Google accounts.  That minimizes the tailored results it shows.  It will still be targeting based on location at the very least.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98   Go Up