THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 614909 times)

ackblom12

Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #400 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:26 »

Having my name be Stephen King makes Googling my name hilariously unproductive for most people.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #401 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:32 »

If I search "Stephen King" while logged into Google it gives me your bio on the right with the author's under that and G+ posts by you are 2 of the top 3 results. :)

Some people are freaked out by tailored search results, I find them terrifically helpful most of the time.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

ackblom12

« Reply #402 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:33 »

That's why I said most! You interact with multiple versions of my account every day and that's going to help tailor your google searches.

Papersatan

« Reply #403 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:42 »

Mmm, I'll interact with versions of your account alright.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #404 on: 13 Oct 2012, 13:55 »

JEEZ GUYS GET A CHATROOM ALREADY
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #405 on: 13 Oct 2012, 14:08 »

When I google myself, only one result is me - of course it is the first one, being that I am a good daughter of web designers and built a website which appeals to the Googlemonster. Sadly it is horribly out of date. My facebook page doesn't appear even when I search for it under my FB name.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #406 on: 13 Oct 2012, 15:34 »

Only two of the top 10 are me. Amazingly, there's a college hockey player for UMass-Lowell with my name.

Now, if you go with "jwhouk"... All 10 are me.

EDIT: Of course, that shouldn't surprise me or anyone, since I've been "jwhouk" on the web since 1993-94.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2012, 15:43 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #407 on: 13 Oct 2012, 15:43 »

I googled my real name.
Took me 8 pages to find a link that was connected to me, an old twitter account I shut down years ago.
The rest of the links were about architects and a student who discovered several shark species  :-D

I also googled theevildog....you can guess what came up on the first page...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #408 on: 13 Oct 2012, 15:44 »

Oh, yeah, four of the top 10 hits for "jwhouk" were QC-related. I'm not obsessed, am I?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #409 on: 13 Oct 2012, 15:59 »

There's a phenomenon called "bait shyness", in which animals who recover from poisoning will avoid eating the poisoned food again.

Humans have a conditioned reflex to avoid toxicity. It's so powerful that it can misfire. To this day, my wife comes close to vomiting when she smells the brand of soap used in the bathroom at the chemo clinic. Her body "knows" that being around that scent means being poisoned and it reacts protectively.

So why doesn't this work with alcohol? Why don't hangovers train the body to throw up at the smell of booze?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Papersatan

« Reply #410 on: 13 Oct 2012, 16:07 »

Some people get an aversion to certain kinds.  I won't drink southern comfort.  the only two times I drank it I threw up later that night.

I think the hangover might be too far removed from the drinking to trigger it.  I threw up while still drunk and could taste the Soco which made the two connected for me. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #411 on: 13 Oct 2012, 16:12 »

Exactly.  The pleasure sensations that happens that evening get associated with the drink, the hangover is the next day's issue.  Although getting sick on a drink that evening can have that effect, as noted. 

The first three hits when I google my real name are from ratemyprofessor.com.  I hate that site. 

The fourth is a photo of my great grandfather, for whom I was named, from a genealogy website.  I never met the man - he died, age 93, five years before I was born. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #412 on: 13 Oct 2012, 17:02 »

I drank an entire bottle of Bailey's in one sitting and haven't been able to drink it since. The smell alone makes me nauseous. I couldn't drink tequila for the longest time either. Still can't, unless it's disguised VERY well. Used to enjoy tequila sunrises WAY too much.

re: Googling-

My name in quotes is alllllll me. Most of those stupid directory things, some of them on ModelMayhem from years ago. lepetitfromage is me sometimes, but there are over 12,000 results and I've only used this name for 5 years or so- definitely not all me lol
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Papersatan

« Reply #413 on: 13 Oct 2012, 18:53 »

We have had two bottles of bailys forever, we are down to one.  I bought them for a birthday party where I made an "old Gregg" cake and chocolate shoes to drink baileys from.  I drink it only when I am buzzed and we are out of other liquor and I want to be drunker. 

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #414 on: 13 Oct 2012, 20:03 »

With my real name, Google's first page has my LinkedIn and Twitter; page two has my Pinterest and Google+. Apparently my name is a little more common than it seems in day-to-day. Searching for bainidhe, 3 first page results and 4 second page results are actually me. "bainidhe dub" only gives 2 results that are me in the first three pages. I think I used to come up a lot more, or maybe it's just the targeted search...
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #415 on: 14 Oct 2012, 02:34 »

Some people get an aversion to certain kinds.  I won't drink southern comfort.  the only two times I drank it I threw up later that night.

I think the hangover might be too far removed from the drinking to trigger it.  I threw up while still drunk and could taste the Soco which made the two connected for me. 
You'd be surprised how far removed the nausea can be from the initial food intake. I think it can be as long as 24 hours, if not more. It's an extremely robust evolutionary adaptation; the negative association can last as long as decades without being reinforced beyond the first time.

Why it doesn't happen with alcohol is puzzling. There's probably a habituation element involved, where your brain learns that it's okay to be nauseous after drinking alcohol, since you do it so often, so it must be for a good reason. Except, the nausea reflex also happens when you've gotten sick from eating something that you eat every day, so the association still happens if you're used to the food. Yeah, I don't understand either.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #416 on: 14 Oct 2012, 08:53 »

Also, the body should recognize ethanol as a poison if it's consumed at high doses.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #417 on: 14 Oct 2012, 09:49 »

Oh wait, I think I got it. You see, the body can only defend against organisms and foreign organic molecules that are harmful to it, but it has no immune response to simple chemicals. Food poisoning is almost always bacterial or viral in nature, which means the body can mount an immune response to it. The immune system signals the brain via the gut nervous system that something is wrong, and the brain recalls what it tasted or smelled most recently, and tells you "Don't eat that." Regardless of whether it's usually poisonous or not; the brain nor the body makes that distinction.

This doesn't work for alcohol, because there's no immune response to it. Instead, alcohol goes directly from the stomach into the blood, and to the brain, where it starts wrecking shit, and then the brain induces nausea because it, and not the body, is sick. Which is why it doesn't create a lasting negative association: it's not using the proper pathways. Sneaky bastard, that alcohol.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #418 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:17 »

Well damn, when I search my name I get myself, my grandfather and my great grandfather.  :-\ Didn't think that my name was that unique... in fact, one of the results was the White Pages, where it shows that I'm the only living person with my first and last name... I'm also apparently the only person with my username on the internet.

Suddenly I feel so very unique and the warm fuzzy feeling of being this individual is slowly fading into an odd sense of fear at being the only one with my name and people finding me strange because of it...
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #419 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:41 »

I'm apparently a famous hairdresser and the CEO of Lloyds. Why was I not informed and where are my bonuses?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Zingoleb

« Reply #420 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:45 »

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #421 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:10 »

So what's the afterlife like? And how are you liking being a zombie?
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #422 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:14 »

Don't be silly. Zombies have no souls, so you can't ask them what the afterlife is like.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #423 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:31 »

Does something have to have a soul before you can ask it a question? What about chatbots?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Papersatan

« Reply #424 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:51 »

I think the point was that with no soul they would be in not position to comment on the afterlife.

Zingoleb

« Reply #425 on: 15 Oct 2012, 23:09 »

It seems like the world I remember before, only I get erections now. Death has been a strange experience so far.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #426 on: 16 Oct 2012, 10:34 »

I kinda want one of these, specifically Catwoman.

It might look awful, but...Catwoman.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #427 on: 16 Oct 2012, 10:57 »

Why is it that I always look at the ceiling while buttoning my pants?

So you won't make eye contact with them?

So uh now I think of this every time I button or unbutton my pants
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #428 on: 16 Oct 2012, 13:01 »

Theory: The reason you're looking up is because you pull in your stomach by breathing in before you button them. It's kind of uncomfortable to tilt your chin that much and breathe in at the same time. /theory

Papersatan

« Reply #429 on: 16 Oct 2012, 13:06 »

I think it is because looking up would elongate your torso, achieving/complementing the breathing in thing and making buttoning easier.  The same way one tends to put mascara on with the mouth opened.  As much as non make up wearers like to make fun of that, and it is possible to not do it, it helps elongate your face and keep your cheeks/eyebrows out of the way.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #430 on: 16 Oct 2012, 13:07 »

Ah yeah, didn't think of that.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #431 on: 16 Oct 2012, 14:11 »

Makes sense... it's weird that I've never consciously noticed it though.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #432 on: 17 Oct 2012, 03:47 »

Hmpff.. I want to go to the cafeteria but the university seems to have accepted a million new students and there is no room to breath
And the next place is all the way down the street #firstworldproblems

Also, guy across from me in the library, stop mumbeling to yourself, that´s fucking creepy and stop tisking or making any other sounds with your mouth. And while I´m at it your cardigan is super tacky.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #433 on: 17 Oct 2012, 17:50 »

Upon reflection, it's kinda sad that I enjoy songs that are sung by a computer program in a language I'm not fluent in more than songs from my own country that are apparently loved by millions. And of 6 presets available in my car for radio stations, I find myself mostly on the 1 canadian channel over the 5 local stations.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #434 on: 17 Oct 2012, 17:55 »

So uh now I think of this every time I button or unbutton my pants
I wondered for years why young women entered an office looking down at their front.
I think it was a prurient curiosity.
But the real reason might turn out to resemble why I look down at my fly or put a fingertip on the fly zipper, hopefully at the top of the track, when coming out of the bathroom.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #435 on: 18 Oct 2012, 00:48 »

Oh yes, I always check for undone buttons when I enter a room (or actually just before normally). The blouse I'm wearing today has come undone twice, both times when I was in my room alone thankfully. It is not worth risking. At least a fly is reasonably unnoticable, but a blouse really is quite obvious.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #436 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:03 »

A friend of mine always checks his fly as he walks out to give a lecture; it's rather obvious, sadly, and we laugh about it sometimes...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #437 on: 18 Oct 2012, 05:16 »

In the last 10 years, I find my fly unzipped hours after I left the house. I once conducted a meeting of the board of my nonprofit and noticed later it had been unzipped. I joked about it at the next meeting. I've told staff members they can feel free to tell me if it's unzipped -- it is a senior services center, after all -- and I used to chastise Clara for letting me out of the house unzipped. She never noticed. The only appearance kind of thing she noticed was my failure to notice when she came back from the hairdresser.
Apparently May's right; an open fly isn't very noticeable, as long as it doesn't gape.
And about women looking down: The milliprurient thought was that they were taking roll call, making sure both breasts were present and accounted for. The microprurient? That they were properly perky.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #438 on: 18 Oct 2012, 05:17 »

I often check buttons and zippers to make sure everything is closed. I'm rather fidgety though, so I feel like few people notice it. I also always fix my bra straps before I go to talk to anyone because they are always falling down, and it seems rude to fix them in front of someone higher on the food chain than I am.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #439 on: 18 Oct 2012, 05:31 »

I honestly think that women don't consider their own breasts in that way - obviously I would be alarmed if one fell off or something, but I can feel it hasn't just like I can feel my arms are still attached. And perky? Definitely an outside-observer concern. Aerial views don't represent what someone else sees anyway.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #440 on: 18 Oct 2012, 05:54 »

I hope women wouldn't look down at themselves as men might, especially those of us known to laughingly leer, sometimes sexualize and optimistically objectify.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #441 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:00 »

My wife is usually looking for her phone.  Sometimes her lighter, or a large bill she stashed away...

She calls it her "vault", though I prefer "storage chest"   :-D :roll: :wink:

lepetitfromage

« Reply #442 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:05 »

Shirts with high necks annoy me and make me feel like I'm suffocating but too low and it can get inappropriate. I look down at my chest occasionally to ensure that my top hasn't slipped down enough to violate work dress code.

As for perkiness.....sometimes I am definitely guilty of checking that. Of course, not by looking down- a sideways glance in the mirror is much more helpful. Not because I care what anyone else thinks, but because sometimes it's just nice to check yourself out! Maybe it's shallow, but if it makes you feel good about yourself then I don't see the harm in it. They are one two of the features that I've never had any issues with. :-P

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #443 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:17 »

a sideways glance in the mirror is much more helpful. Not because I care what anyone else thinks, but because sometimes it's just nice to check yourself out! Maybe it's shallow, but if it makes you feel good about yourself then I don't see the harm in it.

Or a shop window.  Yes, some of us men do it too, but we're checking other things...

"I can see my shoes again - am I actually looking thinner? or is it just hanging lower over the belt...?"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #444 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:33 »

I keep things in the gap part of ballgowns when I go to a ball - phone and keys, or perhaps college ID.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #445 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:39 »

May, you are so much classier than I am.

I keep things in the gap part of ballgowns my bra when I go to a ball bar - phone and keys, ID.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #446 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:40 »

« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2012, 07:47 by Carl-E »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #447 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:42 »

That link just returns a server not found error.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #448 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:48 »

Sorry, bad paste.  Fixed. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #449 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:24 »

I did actually write a long explanation of what I meant but I decided everyone would know anyway. Clearly not! When you wear a strapless gown, it necessarily clings quite tightly both above and below the breasts (so that it doesn't fall off). This creates a cavity in the middle, because the fabric is stretched across the widest parts in all directions but since breasts are curved and separate they don't fill the entire space. So in the middle there is a gap.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 98   Go Up