THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 603109 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #1100 on: 06 Feb 2013, 23:56 »

In the pianist Schabel's autobiography is a mention of a time that he played in Germany during the period of hyper-inflation.  He was paid for the performance with a suitcase-full of notes, and the next day was able to buy a single sausage with it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1101 on: 07 Feb 2013, 00:50 »

The only answer I could come up with was Akima. Intelligent and benevolent. But with an iron fist.
I've always seen myself as more of an Empress...
Choose your own title. The job is yours.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1102 on: 07 Feb 2013, 09:33 »

actually, hyperinflation was such a huge problem in Germany in the '20s it actually spawned a new mental disorder called zero stroke

It has been said that during the worst period of hyperinflation that in the time it took to drink a cup of coffee, the price for the cup could double.

Besides a compulsion to write endless strings of zeros, individuals that suffered from this condition would reportedly become confused when referring to numbers and would state that they were ten billion years old or had forty trillion children.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1103 on: 07 Feb 2013, 10:38 »

My father, the collector, had a few of those hyperinflationary bills from '23.  I remember 5, 20, and 100 million mark notes. 

Very pretty, but not worth the paper they were printed on...   :roll:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1104 on: 07 Feb 2013, 12:14 »

I knew a Patrick...he was a stoner

Nailed it.  :mrgreen:
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1105 on: 08 Feb 2013, 11:30 »

I just taught my boss about "Let me google that for you"  I think I unleashed a monster. :psyduck:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1106 on: 09 Feb 2013, 02:01 »

I caught myself air drumming the other day and thought "Man I should probably not do this with scissors in my hand, what if someone outside sees" and I started laughing with no one else in the house. And as soon as I realized that, it made me laugh harder. 30 seconds of laughing by myself with scissors in my hand.

Sometimes my internal monologue makes me look insane

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1107 on: 09 Feb 2013, 06:15 »

I do shit like that all the time. I think of something. Realise that is insane. Laugh at it. Then laugh because I'm laughing at nothing.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1108 on: 09 Feb 2013, 07:38 »

Yep, same here. Only I talk to myself as well.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1109 on: 09 Feb 2013, 08:00 »

Ha! Yes, I'm one of the guilty ones as well.

......this might go in the confession thread too but I also consistently make faces in the mirror. Because I have the sense of humor of an eight year old.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1110 on: 09 Feb 2013, 14:56 »

Same for laughing at laughing. Then usually talking to myself reassuring it was actually funny then laughing at reassuring myself.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1111 on: 09 Feb 2013, 15:50 »

Glad I don't do anything like that. Other than continuing to bump my right shoulder into the door frame entering the bedroom or bathroom, in order to give my body the rotational energy to turn right, then wondering where the hell the bruise came from. Oh, and standing on one foot waiting in a supermarket checkout line. Um, and continuing to tease my late wife, asking if it's warm where she is, and is she warm enough. I'll probably think of some more.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1112 on: 09 Feb 2013, 17:00 »

Despite living in this house since April, I always get paranoid on the stairs and walk really slowly because I keep thinking I've reached the bottom, especially of the top section where it turns. Spending two decades in a bungalow makes stairs weird.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1113 on: 09 Feb 2013, 17:02 »

Does counting help?

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1114 on: 09 Feb 2013, 17:03 »

I do it but it doesn't, even though I know the number of steps. I just take it slowly while holding the rail. It's worse on the stairs in work since I'm usually carrying boxes.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1115 on: 09 Feb 2013, 17:13 »

Not realising you reached the end of the stairs sucks. Your foot hits the floor with your entire weight still behind it, and that gives you quite a shock. I've learned to walk down the stairs slowly whenever it's dark so that doesn't happen.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Papersatan

« Reply #1116 on: 09 Feb 2013, 17:24 »

The stairs from my parent's front porch are not level.  They are not off my much, but it is enough that people new to them trip a little on the way down (they slant forward so you feel like you are falling).  My body has adapted to expect the slant and I can trot down them arms full of boxes and not notice.  Similarly the third step from the bottom in their house is missing the front of the tread.  Again it is something which causes visitors to stumble, while the rest of us forget that it is even different.  Reminds me of this:
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Zingoleb

« Reply #1117 on: 09 Feb 2013, 17:44 »

I talk to myself fairly constantly. Just constant muttering and conversations back and forth - sometimes I'm aware of it. Apparently it's 'endearing' but it still seems pretty crazy to me.

I mean, I always know I'm doing it, but it's always on an unconscious level, kind of like when you automatically start biting your fingernails off. You know, but you're not aware.

Papersatan

« Reply #1118 on: 09 Feb 2013, 17:51 »

Steve talks to himself out-loud a lot. It only bothers me when I think he is talking to me. 

I talk to myself internally a lot, and I was actually going to recommend it to some people here, but never got around to it.  When I have a problem, I imagine someone I might talk to about the problem, and talk to them in my head,  I try to answer as they would, ask the follow up questions they would, and then try to analyse my own responses to see how I actually feel, or what solutions there could be. It is a bit like talk therapy, but all in my head.  I find it to be realyl helpful at making big descion, calming my fears, and reassuring myself.  I can explain it more sometime, probably in the pessimism thread. 

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #1119 on: 09 Feb 2013, 18:24 »

It's always amusing to vent in such a manner, though it does incur the hazard of giggling to yourself like a maniac when you manage to "zing" one of your simulated companions.
That being said, I think I've progressed past that point due to overuse. Nowadays, I find myself also sub vocalizing and replaying arguments to develop counters for things people are probably never going to say.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1120 on: 09 Feb 2013, 21:32 »

My wife says I'm muttering a lot under my breath lately. 

II think the little filter that says, "You better not say that out loud!" is failing. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1121 on: 09 Feb 2013, 22:43 »

I do that towards people a lot. "Yes, yes, fuck along now and go away."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #1122 on: 10 Feb 2013, 07:31 »

I delete far more posts than I actually post.
My Art.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1123 on: 10 Feb 2013, 08:46 »

this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1124 on: 11 Feb 2013, 06:06 »

Steve talks to himself out-loud a lot. It only bothers me when I think he is talking to me. 

I talk to myself internally a lot, and I was actually going to recommend it to some people here, but never got around to it.  When I have a problem, I imagine someone I might talk to about the problem, and talk to them in my head,  I try to answer as they would, ask the follow up questions they would, and then try to analyse my own responses to see how I actually feel, or what solutions there could be. It is a bit like talk therapy, but all in my head.  I find it to be realyl helpful at making big descion, calming my fears, and reassuring myself.  I can explain it more sometime, probably in the pessimism thread.

I'm the same way with Nick- I'll shout "What??" from the other room, he'll say "nothing" and then I have to get up and go see him because I know he said something.....

I talk to myself in my head all the time, sometimes to the point where I actually freak out and question whether it was really in my head or I slipped and said something out loud. Those moments are terrifying. Even more so when the thoughts in question are ones that should definitely be kept quiet.  :-P

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1125 on: 11 Feb 2013, 06:37 »

I know how that goes. If someone ever was close enough to hear what I'm saying in an undertone or read my lips at the end of a long day at work...

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1126 on: 11 Feb 2013, 06:47 »

I'm do this as well. I usually end up mouthing both parts without realising. I've noticed my Mammy does it, particularly if she's been drinking, so I wonder if I picked it up from her. If I know I'm alone I'll speak out loud. It helps me keep track of everything being said because if I do it entirely in my head I usually trail off.
I used try to rehearse conversations this way when I was younger. I got quite good at it and predicting what people would say. However it did lead to me thinking I had conversations with people when I'd only imagined them. It also meant I would have a small panic if the conversation didn't go how I thought it would go. I still do it for some difficult conversations, usually involving work. Did it a lot with the whole underpaid thing a while back.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1127 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:57 »

I used to do that too!! I'd imagine as many ways as I could for the conversation to go so that I was prepared for anything that could possibly happen......and then once the conversation was actually had the person said something I was not expecting and I got all flustered. But- when it went "my way" I felt incredibly smart. And a teensy bit manipulative....

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1128 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:39 »

I rehash conversations the way I wish they'd gone. Usually in the car, where anyone who cared to look could just assume I'm using a hands-free phone, or in the shower, which is fine until I turn off the water and my husband can hear my weird whispering and asks what I said. And I'm like uhhhh nothing honey!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #1129 on: 11 Feb 2013, 11:59 »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/02/09/a-warning-to-college-profs-from-a-high-school-teacher/
This article pretty much sums up my ideas on American education
That was painful to read...I'm now seriously considering private education for my children. For a long while I've been wary of No Child Left Behind, but I'd rather not have the future fall behind to that extent.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1130 on: 11 Feb 2013, 12:53 »

I keep reading reviews of Pavement records and it keeps inspiring me and songs keep falling out of me.

As a kind of Pavement-y experiment I deliberately tried to write a lyric that made no sense, and it's accidentally kind of making sense  :psyduck:

I marvel at the way they worked within limitations (i.e. they were kind of shit at music) and created something great, but I'm already so limited I've decided that when I record it I'll just break it down to just my vocal and two guitar parts. Keep it minimal.

I'm uh... kind of buzzing off music in a way that I have been a lot lately, but before then hadn't been for a while. It's... weird, and nice.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1131 on: 11 Feb 2013, 17:24 »

I've been rereading my essay for a class, and it occurs to me: I sound like an absolute ponce. Were I to be so eloquent in spoken dialogue, I would have no fear of ever being rendered speechless.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1132 on: 12 Feb 2013, 12:38 »

So a bunch of my friends made a promotional video for the benefit show we're putting on this weekend, and, well, it's pretty damn funny.

I think #5 is my favorite method of obtaining $4

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1133 on: 13 Feb 2013, 00:02 »

I've been rereading my essay for a class, and it occurs to me: I sound like an absolute ponce. Were I to be so eloquent in spoken dialogue, I would have no fear of ever being rendered speechless.

Verily my compatriot, our words shall flow like wine and our enunciation will grow sharper than a razor's touch. Hah!
Worry Hat, Engage!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1134 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:21 »

I'm not sure if I should be proud or not that I could find the music for #5 in my random-internet-music folder within 10 seconds of hearing it...
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Papersatan

« Reply #1135 on: 19 Feb 2013, 04:30 »

I hate that this frozen breakfast sandwich needed to specify that I microwave it on a microwave safe plate.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1136 on: 19 Feb 2013, 05:31 »

I hate that this frozen breakfast sandwich needed to specify that I microwave it on a microwave safe plate.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”  :-D

That's actually coincidental, because I already took this earlier today when I giggled at the implications involved that they had to put it there:

Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1137 on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:12 »

I wonder if "falling pregnant" is a colloquialism, or if it's just a slip-up.

"I was walking down the street, tripped, and landed crotch-first on a penis. I've fallen pregnant!"
Worry Hat, Engage!

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1138 on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:31 »

I wonder if "falling pregnant" is a colloquialism, or if it's just a slip-up.

"I was walking down the street, tripped, and landed crotch-first on a penis. I've fallen pregnant!"

IIRC it's a British use, since a meaning of 'to fall' is 'to become'? Like "I've fallen ill" meaning you became ill?

Also apparently according to that bit I will not be getting levitation-powers! :cry:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1139 on: 19 Feb 2013, 07:13 »

You also fall in love. 

But the usage has an interesting undertone; just as falling ill is something that happens to you with no personal responsibility, so falling pregnant seems to imply that it was in some sense unavoidable.  It seems to remove responsibility both from the woman and perhaps even (or especially?) from the man.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1140 on: 19 Feb 2013, 07:28 »

You also fall in love. 

But the usage has an interesting undertone; just as falling ill is something that happens to you with no personal responsibility, so falling pregnant seems to imply that it was in some sense unavoidable.  It seems to remove responsibility both from the woman and perhaps even (or especially?) from the man.

I suppose if they just presume it's birth-control then it was rather inevitable that it'd happen accidentally sooner or later.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1141 on: 19 Feb 2013, 14:36 »

Sainsbury's('?) trifles have a notice not to invert the packaging. On the bottom.

I once heard of a chainsaw that had instructions to "not stop with hands, feet, or genitals."
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1142 on: 19 Feb 2013, 15:14 »

can't tell if flirting, or if bad at jokes.
via email:
her: "I’m the lowest peon on the workforce totem pole and have no weight with ISTS to gain access"
me: "haha you made my day"
her"I HATE MY JOB. Jk.  :-)"
some time has passed with out me responding
her" Anything to get some entertainment around here. ;-)."
some more time has passed without me answering
"There are still bottom dwellers that need to smugly pass over my dead body … "
 :psyduck:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #1143 on: 19 Feb 2013, 16:22 »

Cumshots look stupid when the girls don't swallow. Looks like they have a drinking problem.
My Art.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1144 on: 19 Feb 2013, 18:56 »

I think they look stupid because they're so blatantly unsexy to me that it's outright laughable when people try and make it look like the hottest thing ever.

Of course, that also goes for porn acting, dialogue, all other acts, and the way they perform them, mind...

(a particular irritant of mine is long, perfectly manicured nails in lesbian porn, because in real life, fingernails fucking hurt)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1145 on: 19 Feb 2013, 19:47 »

I once heard of a chainsaw that had instructions to "not stop with hands, feet, or genitals."

It's so the one guy who chops off his balls can't sue the manufacturer in court, claiming he was trying to stop the chain. "Sir, it specifically says not to stop the chain with your genitals, I'm afraid your claim is null and void."

Cumshots look stupid when the girls don't swallow. Looks like they have a drinking problem.

Nobody told them it's not a protein mouthwash. :mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Zingoleb

« Reply #1146 on: 19 Feb 2013, 21:30 »

sure, it whitens your teeth, but it's just awful for your breath...

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1147 on: 19 Feb 2013, 22:30 »

but it's just awful for your breath...

Here, have one of this:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #1148 on: 20 Feb 2013, 06:00 »

[...](a particular irritant of mine is long, perfectly manicured nails in lesbian porn, because in real life, fingernails fucking hurt)[...]
Never thought about that ... but now that you have mentioned it I'm squirming in my seat.
My Art.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1149 on: 20 Feb 2013, 06:21 »

I kind of hate super long nails in general, but especially in porn, of any kind. It makes me cringe to see women going near men's parts (or other women's parts, really) with these crazy long nails that I bet are sharp. I barely even want to do anything to myself when my nails are really long.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 98   Go Up