THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 603058 times)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #1200 on: 23 Feb 2013, 04:54 »

I don't hate them but they bore me to tears.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #1201 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:15 »

For some absurd reason, I read that weirdly in my head and momentarily thought you were complaining about termites or something.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #1202 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:18 »

The only way I can apparently appreciate Black Metal is while writing a paper on Alfred The Great.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1203 on: 23 Feb 2013, 07:54 »

I have Nickelback's discography. I get they're formulaic but I can't help that the sound works in my ear. The formula exists for a reason. I also think their sound is a lot less offensive to my senses than the majority of dance/pop music that bombards the charts and plays on the radio during work. Almost anything where actual instruments are being played competently is audial nirvana to me comparatively.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1204 on: 23 Feb 2013, 07:55 »

I will actually defend Nickelback up until about Silver Side Up or so. After that...ugh.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1205 on: 23 Feb 2013, 07:58 »

I think part of the reason they get so much hate is that there's few hardcore fans to defend them. Even Justin Bieber has legions of tween girls to scream their love for him. Although it could be an effect of so many people expressing hate means people don't want to admit to liking them?

Zingoleb

« Reply #1206 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:07 »

I think the reason they get so much hate is because they're wildly successful, and people will always jump to tear down wildly successful bands whether they're good or not.

That said, Nickelback is pretty damn far from the worst band I've ever heard, but they've gotten so fucking bad once they figured out the commercial route. Like, their earlier stuff - Never Again is a really fucking powerful, angry song that still means a lot to me. Once they went more commercial they stayed away from things like this, and pretty much all of their stuff is either sex, drugs, or love songs, and it just bores the shit out of me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1207 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:32 »

Given some of the fucking horrifying records I've heard in my time as a reviewer, I find it offensive how much people hate Nickelback.

Saying that, there's an enjoyable 'first day at music school' progression to their albums. Like there's the album where they discovered slower songs, the album where they're discovered acoustic guitars, and then the album where they discovered keyboards.

In fact, because I will enjoy reading them again and you folks might do as well, here is a selection of reviews of things that I hate, complete with the typographical errors my editor really should've caught.
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=1&page=3&id=2901
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?&id=3138
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=42&page=3&id=942
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=41&page=3&id=1087
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=31&page=3&id=1467
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=43&page=3&id=932
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=23&page=3&id=1936 - this is the worst thing I've ever reviewed
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=2&page=3&id=2820
http://rockmidgets.com/releases.php?p=8&page=3&id=2599 - Bryan Adams album, boy I hated that one
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1208 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:48 »

I think "Rock Star" was the watershed point. That song was soooo self-effacing, and yet it was exactly what they were turning into.

And now I know why Gareth started reading QC.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1209 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:22 »

...Go on?

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1210 on: 23 Feb 2013, 10:42 »

I do not like Nickelback. 

I think they are formulaic.  I think they design their songs to be just barely edgy, but not enough to be offensive.  I think their motivation is less about creating music they think is good, and more about creating music they think will sell well across markets.  This is what pretty much all pop musicians do, but Nickelback is trying to do it while retaining some sort of "rock musician" credibility.   Of course every artist who hopes to make money needs to market to an audience in some way, and cries of "sell-out" are pretty unhelpful.  To me though, Nickelback music sounds like they are trying to sell it to me.  No lie, no the first few times I heard "photograph" I thought it was a beer commercial.  It is 2 parts nostalgia, one part bland, catchy repetitive melody. The kind of thing that makes you want to grab a miller light and catch up with the guys.  It doesn't sound like a song written about Kroeger's memories, but a song designed to let you project your memories onto is and feel them with a sense of grandness and longing.  That song was written to play at graduations and reunions until the end of time, and it will.

Nickelback is the Thomas Kinkade of music.  The artist/s are good at their field of art and use their skill to activate a particular set of emotions from the consumer, not to make some bold artistic statement, but to sell more. That said, lots of artists over the ages, since the rise of the middle-class anyways, have done this, and many of them are still widely regarded as good.  Edgar Allen Poe comes to mind.  His works were crafted to activate 'melancholy' because he said women found the feeling addictive and it was the surest way to get your books to sell.  I'd say there is a reasonable overlap between people who hate Nickelback and people who love Poe, so no one has the high ground here.

The reason Nickelback music is more annoying to me than say, Justin Beiber, is because of the way it crosses genres.  Beiber is pretty much limited to air time on top 40/pop stations.  Nickelback has air time on top 40, adult contemporary/soft rock, county, and rock stations.  This means I have to hear Nickelback fucking everywhere. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Zingoleb

« Reply #1211 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:40 »

It confuses me when I hear people listen to the radio because I haven't done so in at least five years.

Also, that perspective makes my father's devotion to Kinkade kind of hilarious.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1212 on: 23 Feb 2013, 16:27 »

...Go on?

yellingaboutmusic.blogspot.com. You kinda sound like Marten's review of indie music. ;)
Just another Joe like 46

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1213 on: 23 Feb 2013, 17:11 »

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not, but I never read that and several of those reviews were written and posted before his blog was started  :mrgreen:

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #1214 on: 23 Feb 2013, 23:01 »

That said, Nickelback is pretty damn far from the worst band I've ever heard, but they've gotten so fucking bad once they figured out the commercial route. Like, their earlier stuff - Never Again is a really fucking powerful, angry song that still means a lot to me.

Agreed...it was the only album of theirs that I bought (back when I actually paid real currency for music), and it was really well put-together. I really enjoyed "Savin' Me", but mainly for the music video.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1215 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:10 »

The reason Nickelback music is more annoying to me than say, Justin Beiber, is because of the way it crosses genres.  Beiber is pretty much limited to air time on top 40/pop stations.  Nickelback has air time on top 40, adult contemporary/soft rock, county, and rock stations.  This means I have to hear Nickelback fucking everywhere.

This is very different where I am. The only radio I listen to is the one that plays in work, which is a shop-specific tailored thing. It is 90% pop/dance music. Rihanna, Flo Rida, Bieber, One Direction, Alicia Keys, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga... Ugh. None of those artists' work gels with me at all. At least none of theirs that gets played.
The other 10% seems to be a compilation of mid 90's to early 2000's pop.

Out of curiosity I went to iTunes top 40 and found exactly one song that I enjoy and plays in work. (Also the video is fun.) Every other song I don't know or know it but don't enjoy.
Also before the song played on YouTube an ad showed me One Direction covered Teenage Kicks. That song is already terrible.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1216 on: 27 Feb 2013, 15:37 »

My avatar is now Vince Russo in a ticker-tape celebration.

Enjoy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1217 on: 27 Feb 2013, 17:00 »

I liked your pic better. 

But, I understand. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1218 on: 27 Feb 2013, 18:58 »

Sleep. Must. Sleep. But I want to watch True Blood and talk to sexy people... but I have to be awake in 7 hours and that's not enough sleep for me...
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1219 on: 27 Feb 2013, 20:44 »

Sexy people? Where? Oh, you must mean me. :emotrex:
Worry Hat, Engage!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1220 on: 28 Feb 2013, 10:43 »

I liked your pic better. 

But, I understand.

I'm glad you understand. You'll never guess who took that photo anyway...

Also neko I'm pretty sure I was online when you posted that.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1221 on: 28 Feb 2013, 11:34 »

Sleep. Must. Sleep. But I want to watch True Blood and talk to sexy people... but I have to be awake in 7 hours and that's not enough sleep for me...
I'm so happy I can get away with 4-5 hours of sleep every now and then when I get distracted and forget about the time.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1222 on: 28 Feb 2013, 11:37 »

Every now and then I can cope with this as well. There have been a few days when I had to burn the midnight oil for school work, and two hours of sleep had to suffice. And basically the whole last year consisted of sleeping between 4-6 hours during the week, and up to 13 hours on weekends. But let me tell you, that doesn't feel any good after a while.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1223 on: 28 Feb 2013, 11:46 »

Some researchers are doing a project on sleep deprivation, and if I'll be their test subject they'll give me €460 for staying awake for 24 hours and doing some tests. Score!

And here's my random thought: Why does the bread's crust lose its crunchiness the day after I buy it? It always goes soft. Maybe I should buy a toaster.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1224 on: 28 Feb 2013, 11:51 »

It's the bag you keep it in.  The moisture from the inside of the bread is trapped, and soaks into the crust. 

There are pinhole bags that keep the crust crusty, but eventually the whole loaf gets hard stale...

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1225 on: 01 Mar 2013, 01:19 »

I wish I didn't feel fatigued when getting under 10 hours of sleep. :-\

Some researchers are doing a project on sleep deprivation, and if I'll be their test subject they'll give me €460 for staying awake for 24 hours and doing some tests. Score!

And here's my random thought: Why does the bread's crust lose its crunchiness the day after I buy it? It always goes soft. Maybe I should buy a toaster.

And damn, that's pretty nice!  I'd definitely consider that if it were offered here.  For that much money I'll deal with decontamination!

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1226 on: 01 Mar 2013, 03:39 »

I'm with you...ugh. Yesterday I woke up at 5am, was on the road at 6, drove off and on for 13 hours, through three states, and over 300 miles. And it was supposed to be a normal workday.

Today, I'm up again early, I have eight errands I have to run before 10am local time, including moving 750lbs of TV parts around. And then I'm on the road again until about 6pm.

There needs to be more hours in the day.
Worry Hat, Engage!

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1227 on: 01 Mar 2013, 03:52 »

I'm with you...ugh. Yesterday I woke up at 5am, was on the road at 6, drove off and on for 13 hours, through three states, and over 300 miles. And it was supposed to be a normal workday.

Today, I'm up again early, I have eight errands I have to run before 10am local time, including moving 750lbs of TV parts around. And then I'm on the road again until about 6pm.

There needs to be more hours in the day.

Oi...  What is it you do if you don't mind my asking?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1228 on: 01 Mar 2013, 06:37 »

CelticGeek: Hapus Dydd Gwyl Dewi!
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #1229 on: 01 Mar 2013, 06:48 »

Diolch i chi, ac mae'r un peth i chi. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1230 on: 01 Mar 2013, 07:06 »

Even though my family is (basically) from Northeast England, I guess it's a big thing for some in this neck of the woods.
Just another Joe like 46

Zingoleb

« Reply #1231 on: 01 Mar 2013, 09:28 »

I wish I could be not-fatigued. Like, just once, because I've never known what that feeling is like.

there's that thing about spoons theory, and i feel like i wake up without spoons. ...when i wake up. i usually feel like I'm still half-asleep, physically, even though mentally i'm wide awake, which is frustrating to no end. cutting out caffeine has helped, but I don't know what else to do.

Shogouki

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1232 on: 01 Mar 2013, 09:31 »

It'd be pretty interesting to live a few days in the life of a dolphin or whale.  I wonder what it would be like to never really be unconscious and to only be using one hemisphere of your brain at any one time...

Zingoleb

« Reply #1233 on: 01 Mar 2013, 11:03 »

mentioning that, I just got someone from Wales messaging me. I know this, because Facebook is telling me that they're on their mobile phone in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll, which is either a bunch of spilled scrabble tiles or a Welsh name.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1234 on: 01 Mar 2013, 11:09 »

Zingoleb

« Reply #1235 on: 01 Mar 2013, 11:17 »

I have no idea how to pronounce that even after listening to it being pronounced.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1236 on: 01 Mar 2013, 11:26 »

I once had a cat that came from LlanfairPG (as it is commonly known).  We called him Nelson, because we agreed the handover under a column like Nelson's Column (of Trafalgar Square) by the beach near the Menai Bridge.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zingoleb

« Reply #1237 on: 01 Mar 2013, 11:35 »

I have no idea how to pronounce that even after listening to it being pronounced.

i'm quoting this picture because i still have no idea what is going on in it

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1238 on: 01 Mar 2013, 12:50 »

It must've taken a lot of booze to come up with that name.

Or a cat walking on a keyboard or typewriter.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1239 on: 01 Mar 2013, 12:53 »

your name is really pretty except for that almost obnoxious orange in it

it's being really shitty at me. fuck that n.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1240 on: 01 Mar 2013, 12:56 »

Wait what?

Zingoleb

« Reply #1241 on: 01 Mar 2013, 12:57 »

vowels are faintly coloured unless they start a word - then they influence the whole word. otherwise they don't really influence a lot unless there's a lot of the same vowel (in which case it offers its own inflection on the word - infinite is very white, even though it's got splashed of colour in it), or unless there's more than one vowel in a row, in which case it kind of washes the colours out. think like a watercolour.

'th' does the same thing - only it's a lavenderish, periwinkle blue sort of colour. it can really easily be overtaken by other letter combinations because it's a really soft colour.

so "Aethion" is an over-all purpleish-blue name, but that n is just like

a big splotch of orange right in it and it's mocking me, I swear it is.

(My favourite name is still Aletheia.)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1242 on: 01 Mar 2013, 13:00 »

Grapheme synesthesia?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Zingoleb

« Reply #1243 on: 01 Mar 2013, 13:02 »

aside from the coloration Aethion also looks like an old man. like, old, battle-scarred, long grey hair white guy whose life story i'm currently struggling to keep from writing.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1244 on: 01 Mar 2013, 13:02 »

Grapheme synesthesia?

also yes

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1245 on: 01 Mar 2013, 13:05 »

Huh, neat. I have never met a person with synesthesia (that I know of and technically we haven't met but Iwilljuststopsayingwords).

...sorry for possibly being obnoxious, but what is Aerith like?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Zingoleb

« Reply #1246 on: 01 Mar 2013, 13:09 »

in terms of colours pretty great, though the r is pretty heavy black in the middle, kind of drawing it down. not in an aesthetically unpleasing way, though.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #1247 on: 01 Mar 2013, 13:13 »

Silver steel mist floating on icy sea waves.

Crash! Salty foam on the shore!

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1248 on: 01 Mar 2013, 13:30 »

vowels are faintly coloured unless they start a word - then they influence the whole word. otherwise they don't really influence a lot unless there's a lot of the same vowel (in which case it offers its own inflection on the word - infinite is very white, even though it's got splashed of colour in it), or unless there's more than one vowel in a row, in which case it kind of washes the colours out. think like a watercolour.

'th' does the same thing - only it's a lavenderish, periwinkle blue sort of colour. it can really easily be overtaken by other letter combinations because it's a really soft colour.

so "Aethion" is an over-all purpleish-blue name, but that n is just like

a big splotch of orange right in it and it's mocking me, I swear it is.

(My favourite name is still Aletheia.)
So what if I write it properly? Which would be Æthien.

Also, while I am not old and my hair isn't white, I am a man and I do have long (blonde) hair.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1249 on: 01 Mar 2013, 14:40 »

I'm not used to that as a letter. It feels unnatural to me. It doesn't have any associations.

I have the same problem with þorn. þ is a really awesome character that I feel distant from but instead of disliking it I really, really like it.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 98   Go Up