THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 602914 times)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #1400 on: 27 Mar 2013, 19:59 »

I need to decide if I want to renew my lease or not.  Rent is going up another $50/month.  :?

Check and see if there is a clause in your rent agreement or the local/state laws...sometimes there is a mandate that says your landlord cannot raise your rent without first addressing any unfinished home repairs or maintenance. It could give you some time to decide, or time to save up.
Worry Hat, Engage!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1401 on: 27 Mar 2013, 20:35 »

If it works, Raytheon will probably /pay/ you to come adapt your system to their power armor, and they can get all the radioactive material they want.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1402 on: 27 Mar 2013, 21:43 »

Thermoelectric is even less efficient than internal combustion. Radiator design will be an issue.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #1403 on: 27 Mar 2013, 22:14 »

Yeah but name another passive way to generate electricity for months on end in something portable and not completely dependent on existing infrastructure. Also I don't think anyone want a power armor with an internal combustion generator strapped to the back.
Super-villain in training.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1404 on: 28 Mar 2013, 00:27 »

Oh, radiator design would be an issue no matter what you used.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1405 on: 28 Mar 2013, 01:04 »

For thermoelectrics it would be more akin to the heat sink in electronics. Simpler but still tricky to place safely in something you wear.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1406 on: 28 Mar 2013, 01:39 »

*double-checks thread title*

How did everyone become PhDs in thermonuclear physics all of a sudden?  :psyduck:
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1407 on: 28 Mar 2013, 01:43 »

I'm often astounded by the depth and breadth of knowledge on this forum. To the point of jealousy.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1408 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:02 »

Random thought:

I recently completely spontaneously used "telling a kid we are going to Disneyland and then hanging around at McDonalds until Disneyland closes" as a simile to my girlfriend.

Now, I re-discovered this.

(click to show/hide)

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1409 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:08 »

It's just nuclear physics hun. I'm no PhD though, it's just my hobby. Some people write poetry, others go hiking, and I design small nuclear reactors for fun.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1410 on: 28 Mar 2013, 04:13 »

Term of the day that sounds smart but means less then nothing: Schrodinger's Love Story
Context used: Actually used constructively, having a conversation with my stray about if I would love her under certain circumstances, so I used the above to illustrate that it's kinda pointless to worry about it.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1411 on: 28 Mar 2013, 05:49 »

Can't sleep. Lesbian fantasy fiction is exploding from my head, must write. The math, it beckons to me as well. I hate my overactive mind sometimes.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1412 on: 28 Mar 2013, 07:17 »

Can't sleep. Lesbian fantasy fiction is exploding from my head, must write. The math, it beckons to me as well. I hate my overactive mind sometimes.

You could combine the two! Erotic Lesbian Fantasy Math.

That'll get high schoolers paying attention in class!

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1413 on: 28 Mar 2013, 07:26 »

I never said it was erotic. It's just a work about a princess murdering those responsible for the death of her family and the downfall of her country with some romance involving the vampire thief who tagged along because she was bored.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1414 on: 28 Mar 2013, 07:39 »

I never said it was erotic. It's just a work about a princess murdering those responsible for the death of her family and the downfall of her country with some romance involving the vampire thief who tagged along because she was bored.

I swear I've heard something like that before. Do want.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1415 on: 28 Mar 2013, 07:58 »

It's very much amateur work but here, enjoy.  http://emoroffle.deviantart.com/  It's just something I do for fun.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1416 on: 28 Mar 2013, 09:16 »

How much money should I spend on Doctor Who stamps?

I'll probably go at about $100

Signature

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #1417 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:48 »

Something tells me they'll be worth about as much as Star Trek: TNG trading cards in about a hundred years.
Worry Hat, Engage!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1418 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:50 »

THAT much???
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1419 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:56 »

Something tells me they'll be worth about as much as Star Trek: TNG trading cards in about a hundred years.

Not really looking for them to appreciate in value (almost no collectibles do that any more) just want a complete set to add to all of my other DW stuff.

Signature

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1420 on: 28 Mar 2013, 15:14 »

wasnt sure where to post this exactly so I am putting it here.

it should be no surprise that I am a huge mass effect fan, though I have only played the games.  I was leery on getting the movie because its anime and I am not a real big fan of anime (there's a handful I find interesting). Then.  I saw this review by gamerMD83 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31BDZTiY_DM who is a bigger ME nut than I (she has seen the movie, read all the books/comics/graphic novels, has interviewed many of the cast and crew of the games, etc) and it convinced me to check it out.  It just came in the mail today.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

HappyHavoc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Please forgive my dyslexia
« Reply #1421 on: 28 Mar 2013, 15:21 »

Live Love and Headbang!!

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1422 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:11 »

My cisgendered female friends all have one thing in common, they have very large breasts. They constantly complain about them. Yes I know big boobs are troublesome and can cause injury but dangit I still give them dirty looks. I've barely got breast tissue at all.By the way I did not choose my friend based on their breast size, I actually prefer women with small breasts, it is just merely a coincidence.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1423 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:18 »

There are a few comics out there called "busty girl problems/perks" and "Flat girl problems/perks" they can be very true and very funny.  I've seen a few on imgur and memebase.

http://pinterest.com/babywagner/busty-girl-problems/

http://flatgirlcomics.tumblr.com/
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1424 on: 29 Mar 2013, 11:03 »

Busty Girl Comics are actually on Tumblr: bustygirlcomics.com. She's no longer making new ones but the archives are fun.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1425 on: 29 Mar 2013, 11:38 »

Right, so, got back from an Easter dinner on my mother's side of the family. Was quite enjoyable. Although they had what felt like a ten minute conversation about folklore of the "Trana" which was pretty uncomfortable, silly as that is.

There are a few comics out there called "busty girl problems/perks" and "Flat girl problems/perks" they can be very true and very funny.

:-P

(click to show/hide)

Also it felt like the tumblr for the Busty one was infinite. I kept adding tens to the page number trying to find the start and it turned out to be over 160 pages.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2013, 12:15 by Valdís »
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1426 on: 29 Mar 2013, 11:43 »

So I'm on OKCupid (part boredom, part desperation) and there's a girl who is studying a masters degree in linguistics.

Except she's written it as 'master's.'

She's doing linguistics.

In Oxford.

You can bet your sweet ass she's at Brookes, not Oxford.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1427 on: 29 Mar 2013, 11:51 »

Uh, Gareth..

Master's Degree

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1428 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:37 »

Okay, the fuck. Can anyone explain the apostrophe and plural-s rules to me? As far as I understand after double-checking with Wikipedia, you use apostrophe+s when indicating possession (1). What about when the noun ends with an s (2), z (3) or th (4) sound?

Examples:
1) the building's roof
2) the carcass'(s?) bones
3) Gomez'(s?) toy
4) Gareth'(s?) post

Plural, as far as I know, uses 's (5) for possession, unless the plural ends with s (6), then it uses just the apostrophe?

5) the children's toys
6) the carcasses' bones

But the apostrophe+s can also indicate a shortened "is" (7) or even "has" in certain accents(8).
7) He's the best player ever.
8) De lad 's tied tha hostages up in thar an' won't come out.

And obviously, you use a simple s to indicate nominative plural (9), unless the word has an irregular plural with no s(10). You sometimes use an -(s)es if it sounds better, though (11).

9) one car, two cars
10) one child, two children.
11) one carcass, two carcasses.

Grah. Is that correct?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1429 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:41 »

I need to decide if I want to renew my lease or not.  Rent is going up another $50/month.  :?

Check and see if there is a clause in your rent agreement or the local/state laws...sometimes there is a mandate that says your landlord cannot raise your rent without first addressing any unfinished home repairs or maintenance. It could give you some time to decide, or time to save up.
They cannot change it under the lease I signed for but I only signed a 1 year lease and it is ending next month.  If I want to renew I have to sign a new lease so it will go up by $50/month if I renew.  I did my own home repairs and there is nothing they need to repair and they have done regular maintenance through the year.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1430 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:56 »

Grab something like the Chicago Manual of Style.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1431 on: 29 Mar 2013, 13:03 »

Loki- I think you pretty much have it down.
#2 (singular noun ending in S) doesn't get an apostrophe: Miles' coat.
#4 (singular noun ending in TH) definitely does: the path's sign.
#7 is not just for "is", but for any contraction: it's (it is), isn't (is not), can't (can not), won't (will not), doesn't (does not), could've (could have) and so on.*
#8 is a case of the apostrophe showing that a letter or two has been dropped (as it does in a contraction) and can apply to other words too to suggest different accents: walkin' and talkin'

*BUT! "its" is the possessive for "it" - NO apostrophe
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1432 on: 29 Mar 2013, 13:27 »

A Master's degree in xxx is the degree of a Master of xxx.  The apostrophe is correct and required.  The plural form, when required, is also genitive: "he has masters' degrees in maths and biochemistry".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1433 on: 29 Mar 2013, 13:50 »

Plural, as far as I know, uses 's (5) for possession, unless the plural ends with s (6), then it uses just the apostrophe?

If a plural ends in s, then the apostrophe follows it with no additional s

Singulars ending in s or an s sound are more tricky.

When forming the genitive of a singular word ending in s, there is (and I quote The Oxford Guide to Style, formerly known as Hart's Rules) "no single rule", and "Euphony is the overriding concern", e.g.: the hiss's sibilance; the miss's hat; The scissors' point; the scabies' transmission.  In UK English (as opposed to US) there is a tendency to transpose these phrases to use of rather than an apostrophe.

Names ending in s have rather complex rules (in the same book) depending on whether they are classical (no added s, e.g. Heroditus') or not.  My name and my son's are not classical, and so the genitive has another s: Hodges's, James's; but for longer non-classical names, the s may be considered optional, so my other son can have Nicolas' or Nicolas's to taste.  In the specific case of Jesus, either form is equally acceptable.

There is more, but I'll stop there.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1434 on: 29 Mar 2013, 14:11 »

A Master's degree in xxx is the degree of a Master of xxx.  The apostrophe is correct and required.  The plural form, when required, is also genitive: "he has masters' degrees in maths and biochemistry".

SHOWS WHAT I KNOW

But hey, she's the one doing linguistics, amirite?

NOT LIKE I'M A PROFESSIONAL WRITER OR ANYTHING

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1435 on: 29 Mar 2013, 14:32 »

You were just winding us up, really, weren't you? 

Alternatively, you get a little frisson from reading over-detailed explanations of minutiae; it's OK, we understand.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1436 on: 29 Mar 2013, 14:36 »

Ugh yes, it's one of the ways I know someone doesn't have a girlfriend if they have long, sharp talons (there's a boy in my lecture with unusually long nails and he uses them to pick his nose, which is another indicator that he will be single forever).

Sorry to necro this part of the discussion, but my fingernails have been directly responsible for at least 3 abortions. Music rules.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Zingoleb

« Reply #1437 on: 29 Mar 2013, 14:41 »

how directly

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1438 on: 29 Mar 2013, 14:42 »

You were just winding us up, really, weren't you? 

Alternatively, you get a little frisson from reading over-detailed explanations of minutiae; it's OK, we understand.

Which part did you think I'd be winding you up about?

I was dead serious, I never knew where the apostrophe went in that. Master's made logical sense to me but I thought it might be one of these things where it's been around for so long the apostrophe just fell out of it. I'm sure there are other examples I can't think of right now.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1439 on: 29 Mar 2013, 14:46 »

Like Waterstone(')s.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1440 on: 29 Mar 2013, 14:54 »

I want some motherfucking Jaffa cakes right fucking now, goddammit.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1441 on: 29 Mar 2013, 15:39 »

Re: Unicorn's avatar, I'm going to repeat something I commented to someone else on FAcebook a few minutes back - Pikachu's a cunt.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1442 on: 29 Mar 2013, 15:50 »

How so?

Which kind of Jaffa Cakes?

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1443 on: 29 Mar 2013, 15:54 »

Well, my sister, the poke-nerd, says

"Ash's pikachu is just ridiculous. Who violently objects to a rare and valuable gift that'll make you bigger, stronger, a better fighter, and a Overall more valuable member of the team, especially when you know there are a lot more Overall powerful pokemon in your group? "

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1444 on: 29 Mar 2013, 16:04 »

Because being big and strong isn't as important as liking who you are?

mtmerrick

« Reply #1445 on: 29 Mar 2013, 16:15 »

I would consider it the epitome of hubris to "like yourself" so much you dismiss the notion of self-improvement.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1446 on: 29 Mar 2013, 16:19 »

So he should change to suit what Ash wants, even if it makes him like himself less? If being big and strong by his body changing is actually something he'd violently object to?

Why would Ash matter so much more? How is hitting stuff harder "self-improvement" if that's not how you want to be?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1447 on: 29 Mar 2013, 16:20 »

Or, he could stop being annoying as shit, stop being useless against the first gym on Yellow, and get in a goddamn pokeball like he should because YOU ARE DOMESTICATED AND SUBJUGATED AND YOU WILL DO WHAT I FUCKING SAY

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #1448 on: 29 Mar 2013, 16:24 »

Or, he could stop being annoying as shit, stop being useless against the first gym on Yellow, and get in a goddamn pokeball like he should because YOU ARE DOMESTICATED AND SUBJUGATED AND YOU WILL DO WHAT I FUCKING SAY

I can only hope you're not a parent.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1449 on: 29 Mar 2013, 16:25 »

My sister also wants to clarify:

"Pikachu are given the short end of the stick as compared to to other pokemon because they require a rare & valuable object to continue their natural growth cycle. So when a Pikachu's trainer/owner/master expends the time, effort, and money to acquire this stone for his Pikachu, it's pretty ridiculous that Ash's Pikachu THREW IT ACROSS THE ROOM. "
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 98   Go Up