THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 07:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 614537 times)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #1850 on: 30 Apr 2013, 05:16 »

You mean <i>years</i> 

:-D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1851 on: 30 Apr 2013, 05:34 »

I have an Acer Iconia A500 (10.1") and it is awesome. It isn't the prettiest piece of work, but I loves it.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1852 on: 30 Apr 2013, 05:46 »

You mean <i>years</i>

Why can't he say "for yonks"?  I do.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1853 on: 30 Apr 2013, 06:26 »

I like my iPod touch. If the iPad ever came out with an equivalent (Wi-Fi only), and I had a few hundred bucks to spare (HA!), I'd consider getting one.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1854 on: 30 Apr 2013, 06:28 »

I have:

Samsung Galaxy S3
iPod Touch 4th gen
Acer Iconia A500
Nook Simple Touch
Lenovo laptop
Chromebook

AKA a gadget problem.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1855 on: 30 Apr 2013, 06:45 »

I would probably get myself a Nexus 7 if I could spare the money.

Other Devices I own:
Nexus S (running CM10)
Palm Pre (my previous mobile phone)
iPod Nano 3rd Gen (which I don't use anymore)

That, my Thinkpad T400 and my selfbuilt Desktop (AMD Athlon X6 1090T, AMD Radeon HD6870)

Edit: Oh, and of course my trusty Sony PRS-T1, which I absolutely love. Reading on LCDs is annoying, but E-Ink is fabulous!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1856 on: 30 Apr 2013, 10:22 »

I still use an old school 30gb Zune for my music needs, it's reliable, dependable, I like the Zune software better then Apple, and I can always beat someone to death with the player if I need to.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1857 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:08 »

I used to have a Creative Zen Xtra:

It died because I dropped it on my foot. It hurt so much. Also my ex still has both his and my own, neither of which work, of course.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1858 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:18 »

I almost bought one of those, but then I realized it had the potential to make me cross the hipster horizon.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1859 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:33 »

My everyday music player is an iRiver H340, but with the 40GB disk replaced by a 256GB disk, and the firmware replaced by a custom compile of Rockbox (custom because of the >134GB disk).  I've got a couple of others for spares, because I've not found anything to compare.

It's like this (on the left, of course):
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1860 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:34 »

what kind of formats do those beasts play?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1861 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:39 »

The iRiver I got originally because it included the ability to play ogg/vorbis in the manufacturer's firmware.  But since it got Rockbox, pretty much anything.

I use mainly ogg/vorbis, but I've got plenty of mp3, m4a, ac3, flac and wav files on there too.  Several thousand commercial CDs, I'd say (never counted them), and all my own recordings (about 100 CDs worth probably).
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2013, 11:47 by pwhodges »

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1862 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:44 »

[image]

*growls at formulas* I thought I could leave analysis at uni.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1863 on: 30 Apr 2013, 11:54 »

That's the reason I use my Nexus S for music playback. OOB support for FLAC and Ogg, a Wolfson WM8996 DAC, and the Voodoo Kernel Mod, which allows me to use the full potential of the DAC and the headphone amplifier. The WM8996 is one of the best DACs to be ever used in a mobile phone, and is by far better than the DAC in the iPod nano 3G, and even better than the current iPod touch. With the Voodoo Kernel I can set the volume by adjusting the amplification of the amplifier instead of having the amp running on full amplification while adjusting the volume in the bitstream. This results in a fantastic sound quality for a mobile device, which is why I don't want to get a newer mobile phone. The Galaxy S and the Nexus S were the only smartphones ever to contain such a good DAC and amp. I even tolerate the small storage. All my music is in Ogg Vorbis 320kBit/s, converted from FLACs I either got from Bandcamp or ripped of CDs.

On this mobile phone even my 250Ω Beyerdynamics Phones sound great.

[image]

*growls at formulas* I thought I could leave analysis at uni.

And it's typeset in LaTeX. I can distinguish Computer Modern / Latin Modern from other fonts from half a mile away.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1864 on: 30 Apr 2013, 15:32 »

I have an Acer Iconia A500 (10.1") and it is awesome. It isn't the prettiest piece of work, but I loves it.

=O that's my tablet!

Since I got my note 2,though, it's gotten very little use...

@ankhtahr- actually a lot of Samsung phones have Wolfson DACs.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1865 on: 30 Apr 2013, 15:38 »

=O that's my tablet!

Since I got my note 2,though, it's gotten very little use...

@ankhtahr- actually a lot of Samsung phones have Wolfson DACs.

But not as good as the WM8996 sadly.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1866 on: 30 Apr 2013, 16:19 »

I have a Creative Zen. iPods are too bloody expensive and they're really big. Apple stuff is really big. My thing looks like a toy it's so small but that's part of the reason I love it.

Also incidentally my parents surprised me with an iPhone4 for my birthday. Da got it for free due to work and I'm completely blown away because EXPENSIVE DEVICE but I'm not a fan of Apple things. They're fine, I just have a preference for PCs and Samsung mobiles. Although being a media student I'm getting heavily coerced into using Apple things.
I feel really ungrateful saying this but I'm a little tempted to ask if they would mind if I sold it and kept my comparatively simple phone, which is a handy-me-down from Mammy. Although I'm sure if I let myself play with it for a few minutes I'd want to keep it. I am grateful they made the decision to gift it to me though rather than sell it online or something. Gah. Conflicted due to a very first world problem.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1867 on: 30 Apr 2013, 16:26 »

I hate apple as a company, and I think their products are crap. That said I'd still take the iPhone over a dumbphone/feature phone :P

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1868 on: 01 May 2013, 06:20 »

My phone is in between feature and smart. Also internet tells me I might get up to £150, give or take. Mammy also said she wouldn't mind but it could annoy Da. Pretended it was Partner's idea to sell. Slightly edging more on keeping. Can't play with the phone till Sim card transfers.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1869 on: 01 May 2013, 10:01 »

is sushi supposed to be bite sized? 'cause thats how I eat it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1870 on: 01 May 2013, 10:17 »

Yes sushi is bite size. With some exceptions, this one place I go to serves one roll that seems to be the size of a hockey puck for some reason... it's a nightmare to eat.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1871 on: 01 May 2013, 11:47 »

So why eat it? :P
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1872 on: 01 May 2013, 14:45 »

Has anyone else noticed that, when some people look you in the eye, they flick their gaze from your left eye to your right eye?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1873 on: 01 May 2013, 14:57 »

Only when I look at someone's eyes.
---
I should offer a professional desecration service. I would issue official-looking certificates to people which state that, say, their wedding is now officially invalid in the eyes of God, or that they are now de-baptized. Of course, I would try to encompass every world view; if, say, you have some spot in your garden that your local Feng Shui crazy insists on redecorating, I would issue a certificate saying that energy in this space is beyond repair and to leave it alone.

I would also help people find the most creative ways to get themselves excommunicated. Islam may pose some trouble in that regard, though.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1874 on: 01 May 2013, 15:29 »

Hire me, please? That sounds like THE best job in the world.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1875 on: 01 May 2013, 15:31 »

Islam has the tastiest and easiest way to skip out on the church. Go get a beer and a BLT

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1876 on: 01 May 2013, 16:32 »

Has anyone else noticed that, when some people look you in the eye, they flick their gaze from your left eye to your right eye?

Is that now how you're meant to do it? I hate eye contact. I tend to look around people more than at them.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1877 on: 01 May 2013, 16:43 »

My father raised me to look people straight in the eye when I talk to them.  I think thats why must people think I am trusting.  Also makes women feel more comfortable with me cause I aint staring at their tits (that they notice anyways).
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

mtmerrick

« Reply #1878 on: 01 May 2013, 16:45 »

I can't look people i the eye anyone, due to my lazy eye. People find it quite disturbing to have someone looking straight at them with one eye and the other looking in a totally different direction.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1879 on: 01 May 2013, 21:27 »

I sometimes space out when I'm talking to people so I'm looking passed them, apparently it can be disconcerting.

In other news I can't conclude this stupid paper and it's annoying me greatly.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1880 on: 01 May 2013, 21:59 »

Could you desecrate a requiem mass and revive the decedent?

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1881 on: 01 May 2013, 22:05 »

Absolutely, after I have looked up what the words mean.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1882 on: 01 May 2013, 22:06 »

Hmmm... yes that might actually work, get me some car batteries and jumper cables.

On a "Oh Japan" note:
« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 22:29 by GarandMarine »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1883 on: 02 May 2013, 05:07 »

Is that now how you're meant to do it? I hate eye contact. I tend to look around people more than at them.
I don't know how you're meant to do it, it just stood out to me this one time. I just always look at someone's left eye (which is on my right).
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1884 on: 02 May 2013, 05:12 »

I've said it here before, but I HATE eye contact. It's awful. I never look someone in the eye for more than a couple second. BLERG.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1885 on: 02 May 2013, 05:21 »

i noticed just now that the pupil nekowafer's avatar dilates and contracts. Clearly I'm not very observant  :psyduck:
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1886 on: 02 May 2013, 05:43 »

Neither am I or so it appears.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1887 on: 02 May 2013, 05:55 »

It seems to move kind of quickly on my work computer... but I don't have the file anymore to slow it down :(

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1888 on: 02 May 2013, 06:07 »

Save it off the web page, then you do have it again.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1889 on: 02 May 2013, 06:16 »

i noticed just now that the pupil nekowafer's avatar dilates and contracts. Clearly I'm not very observant  :psyduck:

My mind = blown

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1890 on: 02 May 2013, 08:15 »

Paul: yeah, I can re-do the whole thing. I can probably make a better one now. I just haven't done any gif animation in a long time. This one is from high school.

...10 years ago. Oh god.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #1891 on: 02 May 2013, 08:17 »

I seem to remember that you had an avatar that winked.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1892 on: 02 May 2013, 08:36 »

I might have just agreed to take my 14 year old daughter to a Ke$ha concert. I fear for my sanity.
Signature

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1893 on: 02 May 2013, 08:36 »

My last avatar was a simple two-frame animation where I had my eyes closed most of the time, then opened them for a second or two. Apparently my avatars have a thing with eye contact as well.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1894 on: 02 May 2013, 08:37 »

I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1895 on: 02 May 2013, 09:14 »

I might have just agreed to take my 14 year old daughter to a Ke$ha concert. I fear for my sanity.

You're a good dad. My dad took me and several friends to a No Doubt (Return of Saturn) concert when I was 14 and it was amazing.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #1896 on: 02 May 2013, 10:14 »

Thanks. It was easy with my older daughter as we have similar musical tastes. I've taken her to see Slayer, Weird Al, Melt Banana, and such. While I am a fan of Gaga that is about the extent of my pop music knowledge. Should be interesting.

The bonus is that the whole show is General Admission. I can teach my daughter to be one of Jeph's hated show goers and punch through to the stage.

Signature

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #1897 on: 02 May 2013, 10:15 »

For reference in the above comment:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=16

Signature

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1898 on: 02 May 2013, 15:50 »

I just realized: the descriptions of the Chatter and Discuss forum rhyme.

They are like a really awesome team of brothers. They don't steal each other's spotlight, don't fight, and kick ass together.
May their light shine upon us.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1899 on: 02 May 2013, 16:12 »

Neko's avatar has to be new. No way for it not to be.

*in denial*
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 98   Go Up