THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 602906 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #2450 on: 03 Jul 2013, 06:41 »

Omg. Gordon is wonderful!!! Great job :-)

SO freakin' cute.  :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2451 on: 03 Jul 2013, 09:43 »

If my potential new job has an employee discount on our products... They probably won't need to pay me very much directly.

Hehehehe.

Soviet Third Shock Army, 7th Panzer Division (Early and Late war), Afrika Korps, (yes I have a man crush/warrior bro crush on Rommel), then a mix of Allies forces, probably Big Red 1. Then finally, one day I'll get my Marine Corps units... if Battle Front ever makes them.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2452 on: 03 Jul 2013, 09:47 »

Coloring Gordon was fun, though a bit unnerving after two hours. If I continue to do stuff like that I might want to buy a graphic tablet. Trackballs aren't perfect for following lines. My wrist hurt after I finished. Still better than with a mouse though.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2453 on: 03 Jul 2013, 09:48 »

I am getting myself a graphical tablet, period ;)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2454 on: 03 Jul 2013, 09:53 »

I don't really like drawing, so I don't know if it is worth it. On the other hand I like image manipulation and photography, so that might be a good reason.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #2455 on: 03 Jul 2013, 10:43 »

I totally lucked out at a yard sale a few weeks ago and scored this for $5- never used with all of the original packaging intact (complete with Photoshop Elements and Corel Painter).

I was so excited that I nearly peed myself.

....edited because wrong model initially.  :-P
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2013, 10:50 by lepetitfromage »
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2456 on: 03 Jul 2013, 10:47 »

I'll admit, I just ordered a Wacom Bamboo Pen (without touch). That's gonna be interesting! Photo editing!

I need a better screen…

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2457 on: 03 Jul 2013, 11:44 »

I have never understood how you use one of those things. Don't you have to see where you're drawing in order to do anything?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #2458 on: 03 Jul 2013, 13:58 »

Nope. You see what you're drawing and where the movements end up. It really isn't discombobulating, it's just coordination that you get used to.

If that's too much of a hindrance to you personally, then there are these kinds of screens. Didn't look up the price of those these days, but my brother has one like that.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2459 on: 03 Jul 2013, 14:00 »

Our overlord Jephzibah uses one like this as well. Wacom Cintiq IIRC.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2460 on: 03 Jul 2013, 14:04 »

That is incidentally the same kind of device that Jephzibah uses.

Warning: Beings with superior keyboards have already said what your sorry excuse of a post tried to convey. You might want to bring your A-game.

LOL BUTTS LOL

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2461 on: 03 Jul 2013, 14:06 »

Beings with superior keyboards

True dat.

You made me crack up about this…

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2462 on: 03 Jul 2013, 15:35 »

I know at least two people who would kill for a Cintiq. Both of them my exes.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ackblom12

« Reply #2463 on: 03 Jul 2013, 15:36 »

Are those two things related? Did they try to cash in on life insurance?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2464 on: 03 Jul 2013, 15:47 »

It seems to be related in the way that I seem to be attracted to artistic types.

On second thought, there were those ninjas who tried to ambush me, but they died too quickly to say who they were sent by. Do you think this is related somehow? :D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2465 on: 03 Jul 2013, 16:27 »

If that's too much of a hindrance to you personally, then there are these kinds of screens. Didn't look up the price of those these days, but my brother has one like that.
Me personally? I have the artistic predisposition of a Parkinsonian giraffe. I was merely curious.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2466 on: 03 Jul 2013, 17:11 »

It seems to be related in the way that I seem to be attracted to artistic types.

On second thought, there were those ninjas who tried to ambush me, but they died too quickly to say who they were sent by. Do you think this is related somehow? :D

Maybe you need to stop dating the relatives of ninjas?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2467 on: 03 Jul 2013, 17:15 »

Today is the 150th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg's conclusion with Pickett's Charge.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2468 on: 03 Jul 2013, 18:22 »

Man there's just something about a kunoichil... getting home from a long day, she's perched above the door and BAM! tries to knife you in the appendix. Defend yourself or die.

then again I am probably a bad standard to judge by/horrible person to ask for advice . My attraction to women who could kill me with a napkin is well documented.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2469 on: 03 Jul 2013, 18:29 »

Pickett's Charge was as close as we, as a Union, ever came to being permanently divided into two separate nations.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2470 on: 03 Jul 2013, 18:33 »

Depends on your point of view. Honestly I'd say it wasn't. The battle of Antietam was the turning point of the entire American Civil War, a victory there would have insured at the very least foreign intervention by France, Great Britain and other military powers on the South's behalf, blocked the Emancipation Proclamation, dealt Lincoln a serious political blow and of course given Lee military access to the North instead of being chased back to Virginia in a hurry. McClellan could have almost ended the war there if he wasn't an incompetent nancy and had pursued Lee, which would have resulted in the shattering of the Army of Northern Virginia, but that's neither here nor there.

Edit: Why yes I wrote a 10 page research paper on this last semester, why do you ask?  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2013, 18:38 by GarandMarine »

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2471 on: 03 Jul 2013, 18:37 »

Man there's just something about a kunoichil... getting home from a long day, she's perched above the door and BAM! tries to knife you in the appendix. Defend yourself or die.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2472 on: 04 Jul 2013, 00:05 »

Soviet Third Shock Army, 7th Panzer Division (Early and Late war), Afrika Korps, (yes I have a man crush/warrior bro crush on Rommel), then a mix of Allies forces, probably Big Red 1. Then finally, one day I'll get my Marine Corps units... if Battle Front ever makes them.

>Not running the Glorious British Empire's Armies
>Not buying PSC, FiB, or Zvezda
>Not running the GLORIOUS BRITISH EMPIRE'S ARMIES IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTEEN
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2473 on: 04 Jul 2013, 05:13 »

There will be a British army under the "Mix of Allied forces" particularly with infantry modeled as Highlanders in their murder skirts and Anzacs in their Akubras. If I do make a decent size British force from the main stream it'll be Paras in the name of resembling "A Bridge Too Far".

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2474 on: 04 Jul 2013, 06:12 »

Depends on your point of view. Honestly I'd say it wasn't. The battle of Antietam was the turning point of the entire American Civil War, a victory there would have insured at the very least foreign intervention by France, Great Britain and other military powers on the South's behalf, blocked the Emancipation Proclamation, dealt Lincoln a serious political blow and of course given Lee military access to the North instead of being chased back to Virginia in a hurry. McClellan could have almost ended the war there if he wasn't an incompetent nancy and had pursued Lee, which would have resulted in the shattering of the Army of Northern Virginia, but that's neither here nor there.

Edit: Why yes I wrote a 10 page research paper on this last semester, why do you ask?  :psyduck:

Thing is, the war could have ended had Lee won at Gettysburg, and managed to continue on to Harrisburg. However, I think any thoughts of advancing on Harrisburg were thrown out after day one of the fighting.

After word of the surrender of Vicksburg hit London, I don't think the English wanted to choose sides in the conflict. The French were still supportive of the CSA, though (witness the CSS Alabama's sinking a year later off the coast of Cherbourg).

<== Great-great grandson of a Union soldier
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2475 on: 04 Jul 2013, 06:47 »

The British were politically neutralized after the Battle of Antietam though, the victory there such as it was destroyed the view that the CSA could gain a clear or significant military advantage in any way, Antietam played a lot bigger in the papers then it played out on the battle field, which says a lot for the bloodiest single day in American military history. The victory at Antietam gave the Union a very much needed moral boost, put the Army of Northern Virginia back on a defensive footing while it licked its wounds, THEN most importantly gave Lincoln the boost he needed to smack down the Democrats in congress and continue his wartime policies, cinched the reelection for him and finally gave him the political fuel needed to sign the Emancipation Proclamation, which was the last nail in the coffin of any hope the Confederacy had for forgein intervention. The French wouldn't act without Britain, and once the Proclamation was signed the British population was overwhelmingly in support of the yan... err Union. All that was left then was to win the war, but Antietam was the critical turning point. Gettysburg was a vitally important battle, there is no doubt or argument there, but the twenty two thousand  men who died or were wounded in the fields of Maryland died at the absolute tilting point of the American Civil War. No other single campaign or victory had nearly the lasting and wide scale effect as Antietam across Clauswitz's three pillars of warfare.

Not to mention the preeminent scholar on the American Civil War agrees with me :P
No other campaign and battle in the war had such momentous, multiple consequences as Antietam. In July 1863 the dual Union triumphs at Gettysburg and Vicksburg struck another blow that blunted a renewed Confederate offensive in the East and cut off the western third of the Confederacy from the rest. In September 1864 Sherman's capture of Atlanta reversed another decline in Northern morale and set the stage for the final drive to Union victory. These also were pivotal moments. But they would never have happened if the triple Confederate offensives in Mississippi, Kentucky, and most of all Maryland had not been defeated in the fall of 1862.

— James M. McPherson, Crossroads of Freedom

Don't make me publish my full paper at you jwhouk, I will do it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2476 on: 04 Jul 2013, 08:55 »

Actually, if you have it in PDF format and can send it via e-mail, I wouldn't mind a look at it. Ever since discovering GG grandpa Watts fought in the Wisconsin 44th I've had a thing for Civil War stories.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2477 on: 04 Jul 2013, 09:18 »

I can see about putting it into PDF format, PM me your email addy and I'll work on getting it to you shortly.

In other news my potential job being right on three state lines in kinda nice! I have a lot of great options for living in different states. I'm currently leaning towards Pennslyvania on the grounds that they're a "shall issue" CCW state, and I can actually read their DMV's website. Meanwhile I can't barely make out DE's DMV, and their CCW policy's crappy. Maryland's DMV is pretty clear but their gun laws are horrendous.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #2478 on: 04 Jul 2013, 09:51 »

Oh, you'll be living near-ish me.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2479 on: 04 Jul 2013, 10:15 »

Cool!

I'm presently aiming for Oxford, PA assuming I can find a place to rent for a reasonable rate.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2480 on: 05 Jul 2013, 07:24 »

You might want to check out the liquor laws in PA, as well.  They're still post-prohibition.  We're the only state other than Utah with a state-owned wine and spirit shop monopoly, and the beer system is antiquated and regulated as all fuck.  You can get six packs at some restaurants and designated six-pack-shops, and can only get cases at beer distributors.  Not at groceries, convenience stores, or anywhere else. 

But at least you can get them. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2481 on: 05 Jul 2013, 08:57 »

Eh as long as I don't have to get tax stamps for my personal booze stash that will be coming with me I doubt I'll have to make a purchase any time soon. Otherwise I hear those Duke boys are a reliable source without all the hassle.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2482 on: 05 Jul 2013, 16:32 »

I hope Roscoe isn't a member here.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2483 on: 05 Jul 2013, 23:28 »

You might want to check out the liquor laws in PA, as well.  They're still post-prohibition.  We're the only state other than Utah with a state-owned wine and spirit shop monopoly, and the beer system is antiquated and regulated as all fuck.  You can get six packs at some restaurants and designated six-pack-shops, and can only get cases at beer distributors.  Not at groceries, convenience stores, or anywhere else. 
I'm a bit surprised. I would have thought Indiana to have more stringent liquot laws than PA, and the only restriction they had (IIRC) was no liquor sales on Sundays.

I did live within five miles of Michigan border, so this was never a real problem.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2484 on: 06 Jul 2013, 04:18 »

I have never understood how you use one of those things. Don't you have to see where you're drawing in order to do anything?

Received mine.

Surprisingly easy to use.

Mouse movement is absolute with these things instead of relative. Don't think "trackpad", think "touchscreen". If you hover the pen over the surface the cursor jumps to the position you're pointing at. That way you can check where you click before you click. Looking at the screen while drawing with your hand is something you get used to surprisingly easy. Just don't put the pen on the surface when you're putting it away. The cursor goes wild then.

ackblom12

« Reply #2485 on: 06 Jul 2013, 04:26 »

Everything I've heard is that it takes some getting used to, but once you've got it going back to paper is rough.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2486 on: 06 Jul 2013, 07:27 »

I can't draw straight on to my tablet. I have to draw the rough sketch on paper, scan it, then trace the sketch using the tablet. I just use a mouse for photo editing.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2487 on: 06 Jul 2013, 10:13 »

I've been pretty happy with my tablet, but sometimes it "loses" the driver and has trouble starting a line when I do and it gets all jumpy.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2488 on: 06 Jul 2013, 12:07 »

I have a Bamboo and I like it well enough. I'm not much of a digital drawer, but it's annoying not to have one when you're used to drawing things by hand. Drawing with a mouse sucks.

In other news, I hate my stomach because it sure as hell hates me.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2489 on: 06 Jul 2013, 12:39 »

Random thought:

My current "title" (Beyond Thunderdome) reminds me of the dutch event "Thunderdome".

I had liked that kind of music some time ago.

Another random thought:

I feel like my mind consists of references. I think of something, it reminds me of something else, which in turn reminds me of something else. And whenever somebody talks about basically anything I feel reminded of lots of different bullshit nobody else cares about, but I can't keep my mouth shut.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #2490 on: 06 Jul 2013, 13:00 »

I'm not sure, but I think you'd make a good newspaper reporter, if they still have those types in Germany.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2491 on: 06 Jul 2013, 14:46 »

I've decided if I ever become a touring musician as a solo act, I want to attempt to open my gigs with a song about whatever city I'm in, possibly even on a solo acoustic basis. Chicago I've got figured out 'Dear Chicago' by Ryan Adams, or 'Via Chicago' by Wilco. I had a longer list at one point.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2492 on: 06 Jul 2013, 18:36 »

Every time I see the name "Deepak Chopra" I read it as "Deepthroat Chopra," ever since I saw it in QC (too lazy to find the comic it's in right now).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #2493 on: 07 Jul 2013, 04:38 »

There's something vaguely unnerving about having something random pop back into your head with little to no warning, and having no reason for it.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #2494 on: 07 Jul 2013, 04:44 »

Was listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack and thought to myself, "I want a spaceship."
Super-villain in training.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2495 on: 07 Jul 2013, 11:42 »

Understandable. Because, you know, who doesn't want a spaceship?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2496 on: 07 Jul 2013, 11:46 »

Seriously. Or more accurately why wouldn't you? There is 100% no down side to owning a space ship. Cept space craft insurance I suppose.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2497 on: 07 Jul 2013, 12:00 »

Do you have any idea what death star insurance runs these days? I can't afford that kind of expense!
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2498 on: 07 Jul 2013, 13:37 »

And you just know there's an exception for a farm kid in an X-wing...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2499 on: 07 Jul 2013, 14:27 »

Given the choice I'd rather have the X-Wing anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 98   Go Up