THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 08:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 621315 times)

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #4250 on: 29 Mar 2014, 09:55 »

The Internet is no longer just about email, ecommerce or Twitter. “We are at an inflection point,” says Joe Salvo, manager of Complex Systems Engineering Laboratory at GE Global Research. “The next wave of productivity will connect brilliant machines and people.”

But before that happens, they must find a common language. “It’s still like the Tower of Babel,” Salvo says. “We need to bring them together in powerful new networks.”

I have a question which is important for reasons.  Did you assume I was posting it as a random thought about technology, or did the quote strike anyone as amusing? If you thought it was funny, can you tell me why?  (I am currently trying to make a point about this quote elsewhere, but running into that problem where you can't tell if your understanding is widely held)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #4251 on: 29 Mar 2014, 10:17 »

Because the building of the Tower of Babel caused its builders to have their language confused, scattering them?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Papersatan

« Reply #4252 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:45 »

ty

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #4253 on: 29 Mar 2014, 12:53 »

Yeah, the metaphor used is the direct opposite of what Joe's trying to say.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4254 on: 29 Mar 2014, 15:59 »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but to me it reads like he's saying "it's like the Tower of Babel, everyone's scattered and speaking different languages, we need to fix that". Is that not what he's trying to say?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Papersatan

« Reply #4255 on: 29 Mar 2014, 17:56 »

That's what he is trying to say, but in the story of the Tower of Babel, everyone speaks the same language and so are able to (start to) build this great city/tower.  But the a person in a position of power (God) scatters them apart and confuses their language.   This is the opposite of the situation which he is trying to describe, which is individual (electronics) speaking different languages, but someone in a position of power (GE) coming in to make them speak the same one so that they can do great things. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4256 on: 30 Mar 2014, 18:34 »

Maybe he means we're still suffering from the effects of the Tower of Babel's destruction, and we have to reverse it?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

« Reply #4257 on: 30 Mar 2014, 19:15 »

Maybe he means we're still suffering from the effects of the Tower of Babel's destruction, and we have to reverse it?

eh, that doesn't quite work either, because it is not human language that is the problem here, it is the way electronics send and receive information.  I think it is just a bad metaphor. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4258 on: 30 Mar 2014, 19:17 »

Ahhh. I thought he was talking about both. Yeah, not the best metaphor.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4259 on: 01 Apr 2014, 15:10 »

Why is it that shovels are never honored with the phrase "ground-breaking technology"?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4260 on: 01 Apr 2014, 15:41 »

Doubly so if it's a new kind of shovel!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #4261 on: 02 Apr 2014, 05:14 »

Making money isn't cutting it for me. I can do that, I'm even fairly good at it. I want to do something that feels like it matters again.

Sure the Marine Corps paid me dog food, fucked me over constantly and generally abused me and my comrades on a near daily basis but... it mattered. In lives saved and blood bonds formed it mattered.

I want that back.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4262 on: 02 Apr 2014, 05:31 »

Making money isn't cutting it for me.
Wanna trade?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #4263 on: 02 Apr 2014, 05:56 »

Wanna trade?
I second this offer.  (edit) err... I mean I also offer to trade. I guess I made it sound like I was agreeing that Method doesn't get paid well.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4264 on: 02 Apr 2014, 09:12 »

If you can magically get me my legs functioning 100% again and let me reenlist? Fuck yeah in a heart beat.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4265 on: 02 Apr 2014, 10:15 »

Wanna trade?
I second this offer.  (edit) err... I mean I also offer to trade. I guess I made it sound like I was agreeing that Method doesn't get paid well.
Well, I dont :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #4266 on: 02 Apr 2014, 23:40 »

Making money isn't cutting it for me. I can do that, I'm even fairly good at it. I want to do something that feels like it matters again.

Sure the Marine Corps paid me dog food, fucked me over constantly and generally abused me and my comrades on a near daily basis but... it mattered. In lives saved and blood bonds formed it mattered.

I want that back.

That's what keeps pulling me back into the public sector. I really like the emphasis that gets placed on quality in the private sector and the "good enough" mentality that gets applied to processes in the public sector really grates on me. However, the feeling that you're doing something that means a difference to people's lives is important.

Perhaps you should consider running for public office. While your values are somewhat different to mine, you're the sort of person who I really enjoy seeing in politics. You strike me as the sort of person whose principles aren't easily swayed by comfort and expedience.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4267 on: 03 Apr 2014, 08:28 »

The puns are OK, but it's the Claireface that really brightened my day.

« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2014, 08:35 by Redball »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4268 on: 03 Apr 2014, 10:38 »

I want that back.

Do EMTs need healthy legs? Any emergency room jobs you could feasibly train for? Going a bit afield, vet tech for a horse doctor?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4269 on: 04 Apr 2014, 04:22 »

EMTs need VERY healthy legs, I mean you have to run from the truck to the patient, and lift the patient onto the gurney amongst other physical tasks. If I was physically able to accomplish the basic tasks of an EMT or Paramedic, I'd still be in the service.

As far as politics goes... I doubt political office would suite me much.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #4270 on: 04 Apr 2014, 07:06 »

What about another medical field? Ultrasound tech... or even just credentialing. It all makes a difference in the medical field.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #4271 on: 04 Apr 2014, 07:48 »

come to the dark side: USgov subcontractors....
we are the military industrial complex your hippies warned you about.
but with benefits and pretty good pay.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4272 on: 05 Apr 2014, 04:47 »

Groggy if you can point me in the direction of a gig I'm down once I finish gunsmithing school

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #4273 on: 05 Apr 2014, 18:47 »

Just promise me that once you're done with gunsmithing school that you'll be very discerning with where your Veras go.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4274 on: 05 Apr 2014, 19:40 »

...dude, FBI background check. If you can't pass one and I don't log any given sale in my bound book the ATF will buttfuck my soul and send me to the Federal slam for 20+ years.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #4275 on: 06 Apr 2014, 04:47 »

Hmm. I haven't found out yet, why, but sometimes I receive a HTTP 500 error when trying to search for something. I tried a few terms, at first thinking that the term I was looking for didn't have any results, but it did. I made about 8 search requests, 3 of them giving me the 500. An Admin might want to look into this.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4276 on: 06 Apr 2014, 04:55 »

The search does seem to stress the server badly.  I always use the advanced search, because it enables me to restrict the search to specific sub-forums and dates, which helps a lot, and even to specify the poster - which sometimes makes the search really useful!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #4277 on: 06 Apr 2014, 05:02 »

So it's a known issue caused by server load?
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4278 on: 06 Apr 2014, 05:15 »

I've never taken it up with the server admin.  It got a lot better when he upgraded the server a while back, but I've not followed it up because no one ever complains (I think yours is only the second or third complaint I've seen in five years).  I could mention it to him and see if he can determine what server resources need to be increased to resolve it, and whether that's practical.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #4279 on: 06 Apr 2014, 05:20 »

Yeah, I can guess that this forum's database has become very bloated over time, so a search is probably very resource intensive.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4280 on: 06 Apr 2014, 07:49 »

server admin
Maybe I'm not understanding the term, but that isn't you?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #4281 on: 06 Apr 2014, 08:02 »

I though it was est.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4282 on: 06 Apr 2014, 08:06 »

Well yeah, but I meant isn't it both of them?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4283 on: 06 Apr 2014, 09:04 »

I am an admin of the forum as a function of the forum software itself; I have no access to the server the forum runs on.  The forum and the comic are on the same dedicated server in a small hosting operation in CA.  The owner (I guess) and server administrator is a forum admin here for the purpose of doing things to the forum when no one else can (basically, I guess he installed it initially).  I contact him by email (because he doesn't watch his forum account) if there are server issues or forum things even I can't do (e.g. when I installed Tapatalk, he had to do a chmod on the new directory it created before it could work; and recently he added https access to the forum at my request).

Est was (is, if he ever feels the need to return) in the same position as me; and like me he runs other computer systems, but not this one.  He hosted the PocketJury forum that some people from here set up, and still hosts its replacement (I don't know if that's on his own machine, or rented server space).

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #4284 on: 06 Apr 2014, 11:34 »

Basically you can imagine it like this: if the forum is a private club, Paul is head of security and can execute rights of the householder, while Jeph holds the deed and the other guy holds the building permit.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4285 on: 06 Apr 2014, 13:12 »

What does that make us?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4286 on: 06 Apr 2014, 13:17 »

Vermin? :mrgreen:
No seriously, we are guests.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4287 on: 06 Apr 2014, 13:21 »

I meant the mods.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4288 on: 06 Apr 2014, 13:28 »

Oh. We are regulars who are trusted enough to break up fights on their own. I in particular am someone who only stays at the bar and doesn't veer into the VIP lounge where the important problems of life are discussed by bohemian people in furs smoking cigars, because he gets a headache from the smoke in the air, and besides, there have been too many fires there over the years, so he is afraid to get caught up in one.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4289 on: 06 Apr 2014, 13:38 »

This is a depressing way of looking at the forum.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4290 on: 06 Apr 2014, 13:43 »

That's why I am staying at the bar, drinking to forget :mrgreen:

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #4291 on: 06 Apr 2014, 13:52 »

*pours himself a glass of Irish Mist and raises it to Loki* :mrgreen:

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4292 on: 06 Apr 2014, 13:54 »

*Pulls another Pint of Guinness for myself*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4293 on: 06 Apr 2014, 14:51 »

Hm, I think this metaphor makes me the annoying Temperance Movement rep in the corner.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4294 on: 06 Apr 2014, 17:06 »

And I'm the guy who comes in for the Pub burgers and the occasional live band.

Oh, and to watch sports on the TV.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #4295 on: 06 Apr 2014, 17:32 »

Raises a glass of Jura 16 year old to Loki and Barmymoo. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4296 on: 06 Apr 2014, 17:33 »

Just to them, eh? :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #4297 on: 06 Apr 2014, 17:37 »

Well, and to Paul, and to all the other regular contributors to the drunken thread.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #4298 on: 06 Apr 2014, 17:38 »

Oh. Well, dang, I guess I should go to that thread some time.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #4299 on: 06 Apr 2014, 23:37 »

They should teach this in school: metaphors lead to drunkenness.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 98   Go Up