Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Um...  (Read 3468 times)

blewupthesun

• Not quite a lurker
Um...
« on: 12 Apr 2012, 05:06 »

I'm new and I don't know what to say! I haven't written one of these in so long, wow.

I'm a QC fan and have been for the better part of 4 years now (and suddenly I feel old...). Don't ask me why I never joined before, I have no idea. I randomly checked out this week's WCDT, and though "waitaminute, why am I not there already?" So here I am!

Other things you might like to know about me: I try to read all the rules before joining a forum, I love the Stargate franchise and Samantha Carter a little bit more than is healthy, and I'm currently on an anime kick when I should actually be studying for exams. That about covers it in a few words, I think.

Feel free to ask me things if you want, or don't if you don't want to. But be my friend! I like friends. :)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: Um...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2012, 06:53 »

Rule readers are the most welcome of new people! 

Welcome! 

Oh, and why did you blowupthesun?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2012, 10:11 »

Maybe because she could; she may have mastered cold fusion.
Welcome!

blewupthesun

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2012, 12:19 »

Yay, welcomes! Thank you!

Sadly, I haven't mastered cold fusion yet. If I had, I'd be way too famous to be signing up on a webcomic forum right afterwards. It's on my to-do list, though, worry not. ONE DAY!

My username, in fairly geeky fashion, is a reference to one of my favorite things to happen in SG-1. Finding good usernames these days is hard work, and this seemed like a sufficiently decent one. Plus, I told you I was obsessed with the franchise.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2012, 12:44 »

I get it, sort of. I keep half-apologizing for not getting all of the cultural references in a web comic about 20-somethings as well as in the forum.
But it's a great learning experience, sending me regularly to Urban Dictionary as well as TV Tropes and other sites.

Carl-E for the moment, according to the forum's labeling convention based on posts http://questionablecontent.wikia.com/wiki/Questionable_Content_forum, is older than Moses. But I will always be older than Carl-E in fact, and certainly more clueless. That's my excuse.

blewupthesun

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2012, 14:51 »

It's okay, we youngins are often willing to guide the more clueless ones and point you in the relevant directions. At least the nice ones of us are, myself included. ;) That said, I often also find myself pretty lost in regards to some QC references, but that doesn't dim my enjoyment of it one bit.

On my username: in Stargate SG-1,
(click to show/hide)

EDIT: retroactively added the spoiler for possible future readers of this post.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2012, 01:42 by blewupthesun »

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2012, 15:31 »

Damn, plot points in stargate are spoiled without an alert (you know, *Spoiler alert* before I watch them on Netflix... Boo to you sir. Boo to you.

At this point, I would like to cordially welcome you to the forum (where you have lurked for far longer than I. 4 years? Damn you're old... :-P). So, ah, welcome. Have fun!
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2012, 23:17 »

But it's a great learning experience, sending me regularly to Urban Dictionary as well as TV Tropes and other sites.

But I will always be older than Carl-E in fact, and certainly more clueless. That's my excuse.

You yourself, sir, are an obscure cultural reference according to those same naming conventions.  In fact, the older we get, the more obscure our cultural references get! 

Eg: The author of another webcomic I read referenced "Radar Love" the other day.  I know I was the only person in that forum who remembered when the song came out in '73...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

blewupthesun

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:31 »

Damn, plot points in stargate are spoiled without an alert (you know, *Spoiler alert* before I watch them on Netflix... Boo to you sir. Boo to you.
Whoops! My apologies, good sir. I guess since the show went off the air about 5 years ago, I figured that whoever is interested has already seen them, and who isn't... well, they just don't care. That, and official spoiler etiquette says that it stopped being a spoiler about 4 years ago. Because if something is on youtube, it's the rule. Obviously. ;)

That said, I do apologize and I'll be more careful in the future!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:37 »

We do have spoiler tags to use
(click to show/hide)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

blewupthesun

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:41 »

So we do! Thanks, spoilered the offending comment now. :)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2012, 12:18 »

Welcome

Here, have a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up