THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst birth day presents you have received  (Read 7151 times)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
Worst birth day presents you have received
« on: 15 Apr 2012, 03:26 »

Hai,

I just got a V-Neck shirt, blue, from my mom. It's a pretty deep V-neck and it's from a shop called Sissy Boys... I kid you not... I think it's meant for gay people :X Not that I'm against wearing it, I just realised my mom doesn't have any clue what she just bought for me.

TLDR: V-neck shirt from gay clothing shop.

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Worst birth day presents you have received
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2012, 09:11 »

My birthday is tomorrow, and I was fired this week.

tl;dr unemployment

(side note, I'm going to the Fenway Park 100th anniversary game this coming Friday, which is probably the BEST birthday gift ever)
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2012, 09:42 »

Nothing. That was the gift, nothing. (BTW, that was this year's gift...)

tl;dr Nothing.
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2012, 11:54 »

When I was 15, my grandmother sent me a racecar toothbrush 3 weeks late in the mail.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2012, 11:56 »

This was both the best and worst;

Two years ago.  My younger daughter's diagnosis. 

Best because it ended five months of mystery illness, worst because it's neither reversible nor treatable in any way. 

It was a weird birthday. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2012, 12:00 »

Mine was probably Nothing as well (ex on Valentine's Day, after I bought him kick ass gifts).

Although, in terms of actual gifts, Fiance bought me 2 children's books for my birthday when I went back to school to become a teacher......Everyone Poops* and The Gas We Pass: The Story of Farts*. He thought it was cute because I'll be teaching little kids, but he didn't really take into account the fact that I'll be teaching art. Or that those aren't typically read in school...Not really a terrible gift, but not exactly useful. :laugh:

*He bought those in particular because he's always making fun of my bodily functions.....it's easy to do so, since I'm a lactose intolerant cheese lover.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Van donk III

• Furry furrier
  • eyeballs.
    • DNKimage
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2012, 12:36 »

When I turned 12 my parents had completely forgot that it was my birthday until I mentioned it at about 7 in the evening. An hour later I was handed a Gary Lineker football annual. I fucking hate football and had never even the slightest interest in anything to do with the game.

Still don't.

Its the thought that counts.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2012, 14:36 »

Worst birthday gift I ever received was a lecture from my mom on how I'm an asshole for not wanting to celebrate my birthday in any way, shape or form.

Fuck you, it's my birthday, I do what I want. Also I move often enough that you can't send me anything and expect it to reach me ever.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Zingoleb

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2012, 02:39 »

My great-aunt sends me the same birthday card every year. The front says, "You may be older than you've ever been before," and the inside says, "But you're younger than you'll ever be again!" and the back says, "Don't think too hard about it, I'm pretty sure there's math involved." At first it was mildly cute? Now I'm pretty sure it's spiteful.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2012, 03:45 »

I suppose 21st birthdays are supposed to be good, important, etc. This year my 21st was the first day back of University term in January (kind of awkward) and my Nan sent me nothing. Apparently she sent my 23 year old cousin a 21st birthday card too. Part of me thinks she's getting old and just not remembering things, but if she's got time to go to Turkey and travel around America for half the year, I'm sure she's got time to write a birthday card. I was bummed because I really love my Nan, felt kind of shit not to get anything at all from her, when distant, out-of-touch relatives even managed to say hi for my 21st.

Not bitter, not bitter at all!

(I did manage to have a kick-ass birthday party with friends involving blazers, though)

Perhaps we should rename this "When Old Relatives Forget You Thread"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2012, 04:17 »

I didn't get anything from my dad for my 21st this year - I had asked him to contribute some money towards the cost of a course I'm doing in June, because he said he couldn't think of anything to get me, but in the end I just didn't put any money towards the joint party we had to celebrate our birthdays, so although I sort of did get the money, it wasn't really a gift so much as a lazy solution. But I don't mind too much, it wasn't malicious. I got some awesome gifts too, from other people.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2012, 05:42 »

Around the time of my sisters' 21st, my dad bought himself a new phone. His old phone was still pretty fancy - a Blackberry, I think - so he decided to give it as my sister's birthday present. She was pretty chuffed with this. Except in the end, my dad thought that it would cost too much money to just give her the phone, so he decided to charge her for it.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2012, 01:55 »

joint party

Oh you're going to Berkeley for 4/20 too? See you there homegirl

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2012, 06:24 »

An Adam Sandler VHS....VHS!

Dunno which part is worse, the fact that I hadn't owned a VHS player for 3 years at that point, or that she thought I liked that D-bag's movies.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2012, 17:35 »

Adam Sandler is one of my favorite actors. I would gladly take a VHS of his movie, even though I don't have a VCR.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:22 »

That said, I am never going to watch any movie you recommend, ever.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2012, 20:22 »

He was pretty damn good in Punch-Drunk Love, just sayin.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2012, 20:33 »

He's been good in a couple of things, but I still cringe. 

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2012, 00:08 »

Adam Sandler is funny like a poop joke. Poop jokes are funny, but they're just poop jokes.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:32 »

He's a Jets fan.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2012, 02:57 »

Adam Sandler is funny like AIDS, cancer, the Holocaust, Anders Behring Breivik, Charles Manson, and the Family Circus are funny

ftfy

Zingoleb

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2012, 03:46 »

I dunno, I find Charles Manson hilarious on occasion.

blewupthesun

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #22 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:11 »

Cheap, shitty trinkets with hearts and "I love you" printed all over. For my 18th. And he had the gall to say "yeah, well I was intending to get you [nice, pretty-sounding thing I would have actually enjoyed], but I couldn't find the exact one I was picturing so I got you these instead." Nice save, there.

I don't expect expensive gifts. Hell, I don't even expect particularly good ones, because I know how hard it can be to buy presents for people. But don't make it look like you ran into a random store and picked up the first thing you saw.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:27 »

I am not too fussed about gifts normally, I love receiving them but I don't expect them from anyone, including my family. I was a bit hurt when the boy I was seeing didn't get me anything for Christmas since we saw each other on Boxing Day, but he was horribly broke. I think what was awkward was that he didn't mention anything about it, despite me turning up with a big food hamper full of posh food and beer. I would have been totally happy with "I'm afraid I couldn't afford to buy you anything" but just to not say anything at all made me feel like he'd just forgotten and then didn't want to admit it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #24 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:45 »

Not the worst present, but still a little painful. It was my 23rd birthday, and I was coming home from work. Got home and my sister gave me a special edition dvd and a t-shirt, wrapped in great wrapping paper. (I'm used to that, my birthday is the 13th of December, so I tend to get more at Christmas than normal)

Then my father came up to me, and handed me a plastic bag with a rugby shirt... it was...well, lets just say it was garish and leave it at that. To top it off, he hadn't bothered to take the price tag off.

I wasn't angry, or even disappointed, but I do get the feeling that when I went out for a walk my sister chewed him out because when I got back, he looked very sheepish.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2012, 13:31 »

(I'm used to that, my birthday is the 13th of December, so I tend to get more at Christmas than normal)

We do the opposite, my mom's birthday is December 22nd, and we always end up being the stupid people searching the store for some HAPPY BIRTHDAY wrapping paper because we forgot to get some earlier in the year, so we don't have to use Christmas paper. That is considered the Worst Thing.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2012, 03:58 »

I feel kind of bratty and ungrateful whining about gifts but hey, that's why this thread is here.

I still get dresses and pink clothes from aunts who cannot get it into their head that I'm not a girly toddler.

Also a couple of years ago I was saving up to go on a big holiday and outright told people, "Please don't get me gifts, I would really appreciate cash. Whatever budget you had to get me a gift if you're planning on getting me one, even if it was a fiver, it would mean a lot to me."
So. Many. Gift. Vouchers. I know a lot of people think giving money is kind of lazy and looks like no thought happened but I asked for money and I fucking loathe gift vouchers. They're just a little cover for the fact you've spent an exact amount of money. They're always for places I don't shop too.

My birthday is this Monday and I've asked for cash again since I've just moved so hopefully I won't be in this thread in a couple of days.

Zingoleb

« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2012, 05:28 »

which reminds me

my grandmother used to spend $50 on each of her (two dozen or so) grandchildren for Christmas

she asked me what I wanted, but what I needed was, say, $50, and I asked for that

"but you can't wrap money," she protested, "why don't I buy you a gift card? I can wrap that!"

(no, don't bother trying to wrap your mind around my grandmother's logic; I love her to pieces but she is a silly old bat)

I told her I needed money, she insisted on a gift card, to which I responded, "no look here's what you can do: you can buy me a wallet. I need a wallet. buy me a wallet and put the rest of the money in the wallet, wrap the wallet, and give that to me"

she pondered on it

"I know! I can put the gift card in your wallet!"

lepetitfromage

« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2012, 05:49 »

:lol: Grandmas have the best logic ever.

I used to think they were terribly impersonal, but I've started to come around to gift cards. Especially now that you can get one for practically anywhere. I think this year when people ask where to get gift cards for me, I'm going to say the grocery store. And also- since no one can freaking afford gas, gas cards are pretty much the best idea ever.

Oh, wait....this is the bad gift thread. Crap. Umm....I can't even begin to count the number of ugly sweaters I've received. I got one that had a pattern made of giant teddy bears all over it. When I was 15. Plus...I've always hated sweaters. And yeah, Welu- I feel bad complaining about them too.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:40 »

This isn't a bad gift, in fact it is a beautiful and very generous gift, but unfortunately it makes me feel rather sick. My friend bought me a designer purse for my birthday. A crocodile leather designer purse. It is lovely and very pretty but the smell makes me feel ill and I have checked and it is definitely real crocodile leather. I am in a massive dilemma about what to do with it. I think I will simply have to get over it - after all, I wear leather shoes and carry a leather handbag. Perhaps if I air it, it will smell less strongly.

Update! By "definitely real crocodile leather" I mean "actually not real crocodile leather but in fact calf leather". For some reason I find that a little bit less bad, although I wouldn't have bought it for myself. I feel a lot better about it now though.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2012, 06:00 by Barmymoo »

Papersatan

« Reply #30 on: 02 May 2012, 23:22 »

I have never been able to ask for cash.  It strikes me as terribly rude, but then I also am very against asking people what they want.  Gifts shouldn't be an obligation.  I know that socially sometimes they are, but if I know what I am getting it ruins it for me.  Actually, growing up if you let on you knew what a present would be, you didn't get it. 

If I am hard pressed for money (which is usually the case) people who would be buying me gifts usually know it.   I inevitably get gift cards, but to places where I can buy practical things or to restaurants, which I think is nice.  My mother doesn't buy me anything but Walmart and Amazon gift cards now.  I use the cards mostly to buy things I need with a few splurges.  It is nice and practical, but to be honest I preferred real gifts.  My parents have given me good gifts in the past: A new printer, a KitchenAid mixer, the complete Calvin and Hobbes collection... I miss the excitment of opening a present that I have no clue what is.  Now the only surprise is how much it is for. 

Worst gift I remember them giving me? new bed sheets for my birthday when I was 12ish.  I was disappointed because that felt like a thing I would have gotten anyways. 

I would love a new set of bed sheets now. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

lepetitfromage

« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2012, 06:21 »

Oh man, me too. Sheets are stupidly expensive for basically just being a few yards of fabric. Practical gifts are the best.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #32 on: 03 May 2012, 07:28 »

If I told my 12 year old self that in 10 years he'd actually buy socks himself and enjoy it, he wouldn't have believed me. Then he'd probably ask me about robots and brag about the newest video game he has.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #33 on: 03 May 2012, 07:52 »

My husband was way excited to get socks for Christmas this year - I finally found the Size 12-14 socks instead of the Size 10-12 so they actually fit him.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #34 on: 03 May 2012, 08:04 »

My wife and I, in the early, very lean years, got each other socks and underwear for christmas as "stocking stuffers".  What's funny is that it wasn't consciously coordinated - we both knew that the other really needed them. 

Every year, there's at least one pair of each in the stockings now - usually decorative or silly, but fun. 

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #35 on: 03 May 2012, 08:17 »

My husband was way excited to get socks for Christmas this year - I finally found the Size 12-14 socks instead of the Size 10-12 so they actually fit him.

I have that problem, being sized 13 shoe and 6'6" it's hard to find clothes that fit well, so alot of clothing presents tend to be a bit small.  I was 30 before I discovered that they made tall shirts, never again will I try to hide my beer gut in the too short XL tshirt, L T for me now!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #36 on: 03 May 2012, 12:37 »

None of my clothes ever fit. This is partly because I am quite short but extremely curvy, and partly because I acquire clothes from ebay, from my (much thinner, inclined towards baggy clothing) mother or my friends. I fully intend to some day have a dress made to fit me, in addition to my wedding dress that is.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #37 on: 03 May 2012, 19:56 »

Make sure it's black. 

Not the wedding dress, I mean the other one. 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #38 on: 04 May 2012, 00:40 »

I look stupid in black. You know how people talk about being too young to wear black? (By "people" I might mean "Victorian etiquette experts".) I always look like that.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #39 on: 04 May 2012, 01:23 »

But... but... it goes with everything! 

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #40 on: 04 May 2012, 02:16 »

My dad once got me a copy of "18 Wheels of Steel: Trucking Across America" for the PC.

... What.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM
Pages: [1]   Go Up