THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 21:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Humble Indie Bundles. All of them.  (Read 26458 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Humble Indie Bundles. All of them.
« on: 20 Apr 2012, 16:03 »

Find the latest news at http://www.humblebundle.com/ and see Botanicula here and utterly fail at keeping from smiling.

With yesterday's release of the Humble Botanicula Debut - one of those games that's impossible to remember how to spell - Amanita Designs provides a stunning display of self-sacrifice (or at least revenue-sacrifice) by making the game available for a name-your-price immediately after launch, including Machinarium and Samorost 2, with a significant cut going to a charity that conserves vulnerable habitats. In doing so, they're effectively giving up at least half of the revenue they would have received by means of conventional sales, provided that the bundle sells for the same ten dollars as the actual game, which is by no means a guarantee. That, I think you'll agree, is a pretty damn admirable course of action.

But as it turns out, GOG.com had been accepting pre-orders for Botanicula at nine dollars each. People got a bit miffed to discover that at the moment of release, they could have gotten Botanulica plus three other games plus a movie for roughly the same price. So what does GOG do? Well, instead of saying "Buy the humble bundle if you want it so badly, you stingy jerks", they went ahead gave every pre-orderer a download for a soundtrack and artbook, Machinarium, and also a copy of The Witcher 1 so putting their faith into a pre-order will get them something not included in the Bundle. That's GOG for you. Makes me seriously reconsider buying any game from anyone else ever again.

Anyway, Botanicula looks like a fantastic game and I'll be putting ten dollars down for the bundle as soon as I'm able, and I think you should do the same. Here is a first impressions. I laughed the entire way through.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Humble Indie Bundles. All of them.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun 2012, 11:28 »

Humble Indie Bundle number five contains:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Bastion
Braid
Limbo
Lone Survivor
Psychonauts
Super Meat Boy
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery

In other words, the best deal of all time. 0% hyperbole. I'm only barely able to restrain the torrent of exclamation marks I want to put in this post.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jun 2012, 11:48 »

Jesus christ this is amazing...

If I didn't already own every single one of those games I would be whipping my wallet out.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jun 2012, 13:09 »

And how could I forget showing you the trailer?

Look who learned to link to full-window youtube videos.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun 2012, 23:29 »

Easily the best HIB yet! "Limbo" alone puts it over the top (I really love that game a whole lot).
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2012, 11:40 »

Limbo is nice, but it doesn't compare to Bastion. One of the best games I've ever played.

Bundle just crossed five million dollars with four hours to go. Holy moly.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2012, 17:06 »

$5.1 million in total! I think it's really great that this model works so well and that so many developers are willing to offer up their games for it.

I've only played Bastion for a little while. It's fun, but if that narration keeps up for the entire thing I'm not sure I can handle it. It bugs me and I really don't get the point of it.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Gregorio

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2012, 22:51 »

You are making me rage, but I gush so much about Bastion that I'm almost tired of it  :-D .

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2012, 14:27 »

Humble Bundle 3 for Android has just released. Five games, three of which can be played on Android phones: Fieldrunners, BIT.TRIP BEAT and Spirits. The other two, Spacechem and Uplink need something bigger: they don't work on phones, but they do on tablets. Also on Windows, Mac and Linux, but you knew that. Just in time for me to receive an Android phone to install them on!

I also just noticed that it's possible to exactly determine the amount of money that goes to the different developers and the different charities. I had no idea you could do that! Apparently that's been around since bundle number four. Now, given that I already own Spacechem, I could decide to not cut in Zachtronics on the money I paid for the bundle. But I won't do that, because Spacechem is awesome. Still, it's good to have the option.

On a slightly different note, I see that there are payment options for Paypal, Amazon, and Google for the Bundle. Now, Paypal is known for some very unscrupulous business practices, so it's best to avoid paying their fees whenever possible. I don't know if the other two monoliths Amazon payments and Google checkout have any similar bad things to their name, so please inform me if they do.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2012, 17:39 »

Amazon doesn't charge you anything to pay through them.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:23 »

Neither does Paypal, but they do charge Humble Inc. a transaction fee, which I assume Amazon and Google do as well. They can't very well offer a transaction service for free, can they?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2012, 08:39 »

That, I don't know.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2012, 15:29 »

VI is out! https://www.humblebundle.com/

Torchlight alone makes this one amazing. The other games don't seem quite as great but I'm sure there's some fun stuff in here anyway. V was so good that I didn't expect this one to top it, and I think on a game-by-game basis it doesn't, but thanks to Torchlight I'm not thinking twice about buying it.

Hollow Press (my blog)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2012, 23:26 »

I know that Dustforce is an excellent action-platformer, Vessel is a puzzle platformer with fluid mechanics, and Rochard is also a platformer starring, I think, a redneck. But I have actually played Shatter and it's frankly an amazing take on a breakout clone. It has outstanding music, awesome visuals, and excellent mechanics. It's really a great modern arcade game.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #14 on: 01 Oct 2012, 10:04 »

I just bought the bundle. Now I just have to wait a year for the games to download. It would also have helped if I'd checked the system requirements before I did so.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2012, 14:24 »

I think I missed posting about an Android bundle before, but now there is the HIB 7. It's worth getting for Legend of Grimrock alone.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2012, 05:55 »

Cave Story+, the Basement Collection, and Offspring Fling! have been added to the bundle.

I am having so much fun with Cave Story+!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2013, 06:30 »

Holy moly, the HIB 8 has Hotline Miami, Proteus, Little Inferno, Awesomenauts, Capsized, Thomas Was Alone and Dear Esther. It's a Frankenstein's monster of the gamiest games combined with the least gamey of games.

Proteus is an ambient musical exploration game, Dear Esther a narrated exploration game, and Thomas Was Alone is a narrated platformer populated by a bunch of 2D geometric shapes who each have more personality than the last ten high-poly, ultra-HD triple-A game characters you can think of combined.

Hotline Miami is a hyperviolent top-down shooter/brawler, Capsized is an action platformer with a lot of shooting of aliens, Awesomenauts is a 2D sidescrolling DOTAlike, and Little Inferno is a satire of Facebook 'social' games.

Also, the Humble Weekly deal is all of Telltale's adventure games, most notably the entire highly acclaimed Walking Dead series. The current average is just over $4 for the bunch.

I'm actually not quite sure which one is the better deal. So maybe do what I do and buy them both. ;)

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2013, 07:14 »

Already have TWD, Sam & Max, and Poker Night at the Inventory. The others don't interest me, so I'll pass on the TellTale one. But if you don't have them already, I highly recommend them.

I'll probably get the other one though. I have Hotline Miami (still need to get around to playing it) and access to Little Inferno, but the others look interesting enough to throw some money. I'm particularly interested in Thomas Was Alone. I loved Bastion to death, so it's awesome to see another game take a narrated approach as well. And the artsy gamer in me really wants to give Dear Esther a couple tries.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jun 2013, 17:12 »

I picked up the bundle and have slowly been getting around to them. Awesomenauts is a fun little diversion. Hotline Miami is pretty wicked, and unsettling at the same time (that's a plus generally in my book). Hadn't gotten to the others yet.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #20 on: 04 Jun 2013, 15:46 »

Thomas Was Alone is good.

Humble Bundle 8 just had 4 games added to it. If you already purchased the Bundle you have been granted access, so I hope you saved your receipt and download URL.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #21 on: 04 Jun 2013, 16:03 »

I hope so too, because they're the only way of getting to your games after you've paid for them. I have an account on Humble that holds all of my bundle purchases as well as the games bought from the developers using their store. The list is starting to get unmanagable.

The additional games are Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers (really weird physics and destruction-based 3D puzzle platformer), English Country Tune (bastard hard puzzle game), Intrustion 2 (2D side-scrolling robo-shooter), and Oil Rush (naval strategy game).

I'm looking forward to playing those as well. With maybe the exception of Oil Rush, all of those games are ones that I've learned about and that I would want to play, but not enough that I would pay for them. Which is why I love the Humble Indie Bundle.

I'm feeling slightly bad for not giving them more money, really...

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #22 on: 04 Jun 2013, 16:18 »

.... Intrusion 2 has airships WITH FUCKING ARMS!

I have no idea why this amuses me so much. I finally got around to getting it. I made an account a while ago since I didn't want to miss out on the game sales. I still need to actually download all this video game music I've apparently acquired...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2013, 09:25 »

The latest Humble Bundle is from publisher Deep Silver. You get Saints Row 2 and 3, Sacred 2 and Risen 2, and all the Saints Row 3 DLC and Dead Island if you beat the average.

I'm slightly disappointed that they chose to do another bundle of games that have DRM, but I guess you can't have everything. At least we know where the money goes this time, seeing as the THQ bundle basically coincided with the publisher's demise and buyers of the bundle had no idea who they were actually supporting. But I'm okay with this one. Saints Row 3!

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2013, 11:31 »

Just got it. Have to play though Risen 2 - I quite liked the first one, despite it being pretty much universally despised (the console port was SHIT and apparently if you don't go with the faction I went with, questing is super boring), so it'll be interesting to see what they did with the formula. I've barely touched Sacred 2, but it seemed like it was pretty much the same as Sacred, and that game was just amazing (and is talked about far too little when discussing Diablo clones).

Dead Island is also supposed to be great, so all in all it sounds like a very nice bundle.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #25 on: 07 Aug 2013, 06:03 »

And now they add more games to it... Sacred Citadels, Risen, and Metro 2033 are now included if you beat the average. Way to sweeten the deal on a bundle I'm trying not to splurge on, HB.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #26 on: 07 Aug 2013, 08:35 »

The current weekly sale interests me more than the HB.  King's Bounty is pretty fun, if you're into HOMM types.

I really, really dig the ebook bundles, though.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #27 on: 12 Aug 2013, 05:23 »

A few more days on the Weekly Sale, which is Introversion Software this time.

Not to sound like a broken record, but once again this is a company I've been following for a while, whose stuff is usually pretty worthwhile. Uplink shows its age, but it's a fun faux-hacking game with a surprising amount of style. Darwinia is neat and weird, and asks some interesting questions that don't get asked enough in gaming on the whole. I didn't play Defcon, but I've heard good things. And their work on Prison Architect (not to be confused with similarly-named pieces of shit 'tycoon' games) is coming along nicely, and I think promises to be quite good (as well as a good step on my long-awaited Uplink 2, damnit).

Any yes, give them money.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2013, 11:44 »

There's a new Humble Bundle, and it's...

Wait.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #29 on: 14 Aug 2013, 12:04 »

Not all that exciting. Unless I want Sims 3, which I think I don't.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #30 on: 14 Aug 2013, 13:17 »

It's kind of crazy that all the money will actually go to the charities (along with the usual Humble Tip). The pessimist in me wonders if this is some sort of PR thing, but the rest of me says shut up and be happy that these orgs will benefit from it. I'll throw something its way, and see if I ever get around to playing any of these.  :laugh:

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #31 on: 14 Aug 2013, 13:20 »

What confuses me about this Humble Bundle is that it is neither available for Linux, nor is it available for Windows without DRM, nor is it in any way Indie…
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #32 on: 14 Aug 2013, 13:26 »

Humble dropped the Indie out of its title forever ago. Don't know if you noticed.

That said they still *do* Indie-focused sales. The weekly for the last several that I've noticed has often been the libraries of independent development companies, as we've gushed about here and yonder at times.

I admit, I came to the forum today *specifically* to see if anyone else had commented on this newest offering. I...think I'll pass. I'm not confident I can run those, I still feel a little spiteful to Electronic Arts these days, I don't want to clog up my system with their DRM system (see the previous point), and I'm not interested in Crysis 2 or Battlefield whatever. I think I actually own the Burnout game already, I played Dead Space, and I don't care to touch 3 without playing the second one.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #33 on: 14 Aug 2013, 18:50 »

It's kind of crazy that all the money will actually go to the charities (along with the usual Humble Tip). The pessimist in me wonders if this is some sort of PR thing, but the rest of me says shut up and be happy that these orgs will benefit from it. I'll throw something its way, and see if I ever get around to playing any of these.  :laugh:
Of course it's a PR thing, what else could it possibly be? EA are getting nothing from this deal, although technically they are not losing anything either, because keys are, for all intents and purposes, unlimited and cost nothing to make. They must be doing this solely to generate goodwill in the community. It's an excellent plan, but not one that I would ever expect to be approved by the suits at EA, because from their perspective it looks like throwing away money, pure and simple. I would not have expected to see EA in a Humble Bundle in a hundred years. So, props to them.

I admit, I came to the forum today *specifically* to see if anyone else had commented on this newest offering. I...think I'll pass. I'm not confident I can run those, I still feel a little spiteful to Electronic Arts these days, I don't want to clog up my system with their DRM system (see the previous point), and I'm not interested in Crysis 2 or Battlefield whatever. I think I actually own the Burnout game already, I played Dead Space, and I don't care to touch 3 without playing the second one.
But don't you see? You can buy this bundle specifically to spite EA! In fact, the more money you pay for this bundle, the more money it is that you spend on their games that they are not having!

Also, Steam keys for almost everything.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2013, 18:56 by LTK »

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #34 on: 14 Aug 2013, 21:35 »

Yeah, but also the bigger the number they can point to later to say "look at all the good we did this one time".

I mean, that might not actually be a thing that is done, but my conspiracy brain is having fun with it.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #35 on: 15 Aug 2013, 03:33 »

I don't have any problems with charity, so I would buy this bundle, but I think I have pretty much everything on Steam already. I don't have any of the Origin exclusives (BF3, The Sims 3 and Dead Space 3 (Origin should really be named "3")), but I don't care about any of those, so it'll be a pass.

The big Benefit EA is getting out of this is not goodwill. It's simply people installing Origin on their systems, and seeing Origin offers and adds when they log on to play their games.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #36 on: 15 Aug 2013, 04:16 »

Yeah, but also the bigger the number they can point to later to say "look at all the good we did this one time".

I mean, that might not actually be a thing that is done, but my conspiracy brain is having fun with it.
They can, and they should, because it is genuinely a good thing to do.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #37 on: 15 Aug 2013, 07:26 »

The big Benefit EA is getting out of this is not goodwill. It's simply people installing Origin on their systems, and seeing Origin offers and adds when they log on to play their games.

You make a good point and I hadn't really thought about the ad stuff. God knows I got suckered into Steam when they gave away free copies of Portal... but that's because they have good sales and a great library. I don't think Origin can pull off the same.

Regardless, my (naive) hope is that if this is successful, they'll be more willing to do stuff like this more often. Telling them that they done good is just as good as yelling at them when they do something stupid. Otherwise, I'd just be giving the money directly to the charities.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #38 on: 02 Sep 2013, 01:25 »

In the latest bundle I got a game called leviathan warships and another called warlock something or other. I rarely get so excited with newly bought games, but these are wonderful.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #39 on: 03 Sep 2013, 03:56 »

Crusader Kings 2 is one of my all-time favourite games.

snalin

• You may Baste me

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 03 Sep 2013, 05:26 »

The trailer for the humble bundle is voiced by Jazz Boatman, too.  It had a few laugh out loud moments for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqtf5eLDqo

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #43 on: 03 Sep 2013, 13:03 »

In the game you can change the audio to have everything narrated by him!
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #44 on: 11 Sep 2013, 13:03 »

New Humble Indie Bundle! It has FTL, FEZ, Mark of the Ninja, Trine 2, Brütal Legend and Eets. Stellar selection all around. Two hours in, and it already sold 100k copies. It's got my purchase as well.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:15 »

I'm really only familiar with FTL.  That said, FTL is awesome.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:21 »

Bought it yesterday for ~0.03559 BTC. Finally a great Indie game bundle again, which has proper Linux support.

FEZ will boggle your mind.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:34 »

Bitcoin?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:56 »

Yep, they offer paying them with Bitcoin, so why not. I still have about 0.16 BTC in my wallet.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:10 »

And oh my god, they just put up a humble weekly with Hard Reset, System Shock 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, and both Serious Sams HD.

Hard Reset is one of the most spectacular looking shooters I've ever played, and I own SS2 and DN3D, so I think I'm gonna throw a few dollars into those Serious Sams.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up