THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've gone viral...  (Read 9289 times)

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
I've gone viral...
« on: 30 Apr 2012, 12:14 »

I made this design a few months ago based on a list that's been floating around for years (this one), which is based on this. Thought it needed a little sprucing-up. Thinking nothing of it, I posted it on my Tumblr and on Imgur and went on my merry way. I also made another completely different version and put it up on Zazzle because I liked it better, and this week two of the posters sold. Cool.

Well, I wondered how they'd found it so I decided to Google the phrase "how to care for introverts".

You.
Guys.
Seriously.

That blue/green design is EVERYWHERE. I had no idea that people would actually SHARE the thing! I hadn't even added my little copyright thing on the bottom (originally - I've since added it to the image on Tumblr) so the one that's going around isn't attributed to anyone, and barely anyone has linked back to the original. Today I spent a few hours writing people's sites and asking them to link back to it and most of them were happy to. I posted links where they didn't have a "contact us" option. Damage control isn't fun.

So, two things...

One, OMG I went viral! How cool is that! I'm so excited that people are talking about this list again. There's even someone who wants to work with me on making other similar posters. I am very psyched.

Two, if you EVER make anything, no matter how trivial you think it is - watermark that shit. Put your copyright info on it. Do SOMETHING to show that it's yours. This is why.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: I've gone viral...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2012, 15:24 »

I did the same search, and I get two results using that design. So that seems to be a clear case of search engine bubbling. Still, it's nice to see that it turns out to be popular, though to say it really has gone viral you'd need to see it on tineye.

As for the picture itself: I can't argue with using it as a guide for introverted children, as you note on your tumblr, but I find it really patronizing to think that adults wish to be treated this way. (This coming from someone who considers himself a massive introvert.) In that respect, it seems much more fitting as a guide for someone on the autistic spectrum. Hell, maybe it was written for someone on the autistic spectrum back when pediatricians didn't consider their behaviour to be pathological.

Regardless, great work and congratulations!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2012, 17:15 »

It ended up on Reddit and sparked a debate, that's good enough for me :P lol

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2012, 03:49 »

I'd say it was a good way to treat anyone - especially the "respect their need for privacy" thing. It's just a matter of degree how much privacy people need!

Anyway, that's pretty cool if you've been selling some posters from it and sparked discussion.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2012, 03:55 »

I got it on my Facebook feed a while ago. Whoo!

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2012, 05:21 »

Did you see:
(click to show/hide)

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2012, 07:21 »

I did :) Did you see http://www.prettybutchlifts.com/2012/04/caring-for-extroverts.html

POST-SCRIPT. april 30th.
guys, i had no idea that this post would end up being by far the most wildly popular post on my site. i banged this out one afternoon with the hopes that maybe my pals would read it, but every day, people from all around the world check it out. i am beyond overjoyed that this resonated with people <3  thanks to all of you who sent me the sweetest messages about it, posted it to your fridges, and just... thanks for saying thanks. 

EXCITING NEWS is that the original creator of how to care for introverts just contacted me, and is going to create a companion image, using this list! i'm so excited & happy i could actually barf. her design skillz are way more badass ninja than mine, so stay tuned to her website to check it out! :) 

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2012, 13:14 »

Ah, the hierarchy of internet fame; you just took a step up. :-D

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2012, 00:27 »

Dude, that's a whole ladder up...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:26 »

« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2012, 20:24 by Elysiana »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2012, 18:38 »

Very cool!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

AndToBeLoved

• Not quite a lurker
    • Webcomic Underdogs
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2012, 22:10 »

Congrats! I hope to do the same. One day...one day...
Check out Webcomic Underdogs, the best friend to the indie creator. Get your comic spotlighted for review, free promotion, fan art, and more!

http://webcomicunderdogs.com/

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2012, 15:35 »

Woo! Many congratulations on your success!
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #13 on: 08 Mar 2013, 18:41 »

As for the picture itself: I can't argue with using it as a guide for introverted children, as you note on your tumblr, but I find it really patronizing to think that adults wish to be treated this way.
I'm not sure if "wish" is the right word. Elysiana's guidelines remind me a lot of a training course on which my then-employer sent me called "Managing Interpersonal Relations". There was a lot of the typical management-course bullshit dividing people into four quadrants of a two-dimensional "graph", but the grain of truth I took away was that one should adapt ones communication-style to that preferred by the person with whom one wanted to communicate, or one would probably make them uncomfortable and push them into unproductive defensive behaviours.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: [1]   Go Up