THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 19:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faye knows how to TIG weld!  (Read 4923 times)

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
Faye knows how to TIG weld!
« on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:00 »

TIG-welding is one of the more difficult processes to master,   but it's totally worth it.   Once you learn TIG you can weld ANYTHING.

As a master-welder I am impressed that Jeph got the details of the machine, the tank and the torch mostly correct.    Only gripe is I would have had her wearing gloves on at least one hand.    TIG doesn't spark if you set it correctly and are welding clean metal... so her not wearing leathers is fine.

Very cool Jeph.   Impressed with the level of detail!

sithrazer

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Re: Faye knows how to TIG weld!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:38 »

Your hand is bare inches or less away from molten metal when doing most types of manual welding, unless just tacking I'd wear gloves to protect against accidentally brushing the weld with my hand, especially if I have to track around a piece while continuing the weld. With TIG welding you are feeding the filler rod by hand. You are holding a thin piece of metal that is being made molten in your hand, and metals are excellent conductors of heat.

Also, be careful where you set your filler rods after using them. I set one down at the edge of my workbench and flipped up my helmet, my elbow smacked the end of the rod flipping it up into my face. I've got a great big red streak on my cheek in my graduation pictures from the second-degree burn.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:48 »

I have no experience of welding, but I'm pretty sure I would always wear gloves because common sense.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2012, 06:48 »

Doesn't welding create enough ultraviolet to damage bare skin? A welder in the WCDT said Faye should be wearing long sleeves.

There are times when you shouldn't exercise your constitutional right to bare arms.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2012, 08:20 »

It's always good to protect yourself welding or doing any work like that.  But it's your own fault if injuries happen when you choose not too.

"Sorry your workers comp claim isn't valid"

"Why the heck not?!"

"Because of your repeated refusal to wear gloves and long sleaves"

"...crap"

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2012, 09:45 »

There are times when you shouldn't exercise your constitutional right to bare arms.

*cough* Ahem. *rattles Pun Jar*
I reckon that's at least a Scale Two offence as well…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:10 »

Oh, it's worse than that...

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2012, 15:45 »

I'm too "senior" a welder... I can spot several things in this strip I'd do or not do...    Rather than dwell on all that I figured I'd give Jeph the kudos for getting the broad-brushstrokes of TIG-welding right.    Details like the torch body, the welding machine, and the gas bottle/regulator.     Hell she's mostly holding the torch and rod correctly!

I spotted THAT yesterday and I couldn't WAIT to see how far he took it.   

I wonder... if Jeph has actually welded before?    Maybe in shop class.... maybe he's a closet-case structural fabricator and won't tell anyone.    :-D

cvcharger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2012, 15:52 »

Oh, it's worse than that...

Uh oh, I think we has a double offender.  LOL.

But yeah, I've done metal working without sleeves before.  I don't think it matters how your doing it, if you go sans gloves, sleeves, and safety glasses, you're asking for trouble.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2012, 19:44 »

Jeph is pretty good about researching things and portraying them accordingly, but overanalysis is so much fun.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kombatkoala

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2012, 20:13 »

I weld on occasion, though not as a job or anything. Just when i find little projects to work on. I can honestly state that not wearing gloves can be....regrettable. I have given myself a few burns when i have forgotten to glove up, though luckily never so severe that a bit of sulfodiazine and proper bandaging couldnt heal it up over a few days.
"Vodka is the enemy, so we shall consume it utterly!"

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2012, 00:44 »

The worst I've done to myself with TIG is give my left, ungloved hand a shock when starting an arc on aluminum. I'm guessing it was the AC that did it, since I've never had the same thing happen with DC TIG welding.

... okay, that and sunburn myself welding with a T-shirt, but whatever. I haven't welded nearly long or frequently enough to screw myself up too badly.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2012, 05:57 »

OK, so we have some welders on the forum - I guess now is the time to ask! 

I have a project...

She's a 1967, sat in a barn since 1984.  It was given to my daughter by the owner when the barn fell down and he didn't want it sitting on his lot anymore (it had been the previous property's owner, abandoned in the estate). 

The floor pan is, of course, mostly non-esxistant.  Several body parts will have to be replaced.  The engine is frozen. 

Now, I'm perfectly happy elbows deep in an engine or transaxle, but I've never done any welding, and there's going to be quite a bit on this.  I figured I'd learn on the floor pan since that's not seen, and then move to the body panels that need it (like the door pillars - the door hinges are pulling through them...)

Any suggestions on a rig?  Oxy-acetyline vs. arc?  Size, type, anything?  What are the advantages/drawbacks of either? 

Oh, and I now know what to wear...

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2012, 16:46 »

Don't teach yourself to weld on a project where lives depend on the strength of the welds.

If you really want to restore it,  have a shop that specializes in automotive welding do it.

Or you could just freight it to me.  :D  I love VW bugs and I already know how to weld. 

GerPronouncedGrr

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2012, 17:57 »

Unfortunately, I have to agree with MDBS. There are far too many things that could go wrong if you've never done this type of work before. Right off the top of my head I'd say, given the age of the vehicle, you're going to have massive problems with cast parts being rusted out. Not only can you, obviously, not weld rust, but welding to cast metal is a risky proposition all on it's own. You really do need someone who specializes in vehicles to, at the very least, have a look at it and break the process down for you.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2012, 12:52 »

Don't teach yourself to weld on a project where lives depend on the strength of the welds.

Duly noted. 

If you really want to restore it,  have a shop that specializes in automotive welding do it.

Can't afford that option...

Or you could just freight it to me.  :D  I love VW bugs and I already know how to weld.

Feel free to drop by any time! 

...You really do need someone who specializes in vehicles to, at the very least, have a look at it and break the process down for you.

Fortunately, I have several.  The neighbor on one side worked in a body shop for over 30 years, and I'm friends with the mechanic up the block who specializes in foreign and antique cars (he had a '56 jag sedan outside the shiop yesterday - I was drooling...)

The good thing is that VW's mostly bolt together, and the parts you speak of are easily available and even somewhat reasonable in price. 

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2012, 14:46 »

I encourage you to learn the art of welding, don't get me wrong!   Just don't dive in and expect to be welding up the next American Chopper.   :)   Last thing I want is to be reading about you on the news.  :)

Kombatkoala

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #17 on: 03 May 2012, 15:52 »

Unless the headline is something like "New welder creates giant vehicular espresso machine in the shape of a stegosaurus!". If you do that i wanna hear all about it!
"Vodka is the enemy, so we shall consume it utterly!"

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 03 May 2012, 16:17 »

Guys, it's a volkswagen.  A very old, but cute bug in pretty rough shape.  It'll be years before it's even close to road-worthy. 

And I still haven't gotten an answer to the original question - any recommendations for the type of rig that would do best on the sheet metal that this thing is (mostly) made of, with an eye towards ease of learning for a new welder? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up