THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diablo III  (Read 12461 times)

ackblom12

Diablo III
« on: 15 May 2012, 01:06 »

Now that the game is officially released, figured we could start a fresh thread.

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Diablo III
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 04:36 »

I WANT IT SO BAAAAAAAAAD! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have three weeks until I am done with school until the fall, then it shall be mine.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2012, 07:45 »

It's good! I don't seem to recall this much cringe inducing dialogue in Diablo II though.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2012, 09:28 »

To be fair, there was a lot less dialogue in Diablo II from what I remember.

It's downloading now, the demo was good enough to warrant it. First time since Skyrim I've bought a full price game.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2012, 12:08 »

Srap that, fuck Blizzard. How the hell did they fail to get the servers up to handle the concurrency on launch, when THAT'S THE ONLY PROBLEM THEY REALLY HAD IN THE OPEN BETA? This is also a completely unnecessary problem - if I could just play a single player game that's downloaded to my computer without a log in, they wouldn't have this problem at all.

As soon as a single player crack comes out, I'll seed the shit out of that thing out of spite. This is stupid.

This should probably go in vitriolic or something.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2012, 12:10 »

We'll have to wait for folks to mimic the map generator from the servers, but it shouldn't take more than a few weeks considering there were already beta shadow servers running.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2012, 13:42 »

Server overloads ALWAYS happen on the first day of Blizzard game launches. At least it did for WoW. I'm pretty sure it did when Starcraft II came out, too, iirc. That's how Blizzard rolls. Which is why I don't think I've played the first day of a game launch with them ever.

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2012, 14:11 »

Yeah, it's more of the added frustration of there not being a off-line SP. I still find that utterly ridiculous.

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2012, 14:19 »

But I did get some time in with the Witch Doctor!

I was hoping the Witch Doctor would scratch my Necromancer itch, but it just doesn't. The Zombie Dogs just don't satisfy my Pet wants and they are also ridiculously weak once you get a few levels. At this point I mostly use them as kamikaze bombers. I haven't gotten the Gargantuan yet, so it might be a good Golem substitute, but I want my useful undead minions.

So now I just need to decide what class to actually use.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2012, 15:08 »

Yeah, it's more of the added frustration of there not being a off-line SP. I still find that utterly ridiculous.

For Diablo, this is ASININE. Not everyone wants to have to be online to play a game, especially when it's single player.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2012, 17:54 »

This.

This is the reason I haven't bought the game yet.  And why I'm still playing D2.  I seem to be stuck in a 1.09 phase at the moment.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2012, 05:22 »

Alright, so I've have far too much unemployment time to play now and I am quite enjoying this game. The Witch Doctor definitely becomes a lot more fun once you hit lvl 19 and get the Gargantuan. His presence makes your zombie dogs last a lot better and he can take a hell of a beating. Once you hit 20 and you give all your minions a 20% health boost and an extra dog then you have just have a small platoon of tanks and suicide bombers that are great fun. All while you're tossing around exploding toads and flaming bats.

There are some disappointments though.

Dumb and/or Lazy things:

Dialogue - Dear lord Blizzard, you craft a fun lore but your dialogue is just plain painful to listen to. The narration for Act cutscenes is kind of questionable as well, but it may have to do with how uncomfortable the Witch Doctor makes me in general.

Recycling Assets - I'm all for revisiting locales for game sequels, but Blizzard is being pretty damn lazy about Act locales in Diablo 3. This is also kind of true for Demons, but the locales are the things that really bother me.

Single Player - Fuck you I want offline SP.

Also a minor issue I've had, is that it seems that a lot of achievements didn't get noticed on my game, which isn't that big of a deal, but is kind of irritating none the less.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2012, 07:43 »

Is there any chance at all that they'll ever add offline single player?  (like, have there been any posts by Blizz or anyone saying they'll at least think about it?)  Or is it possible that the way it's written it'd require a huge patch to allow that?  What with all the backlash, hopefully Blizz'll review & revise their decisions.  Cause, as it stands now I'm absolutely not going to buy this game unless that happens--no matter how badly I want it (I'll just have to survive on Torchlight 2, I guess). 

In one of TotalBiscuit's recent mailbox videos he goes into a fair amount of depth about Diablo III and the decision to require their servers to play single player (heavy DRM is to prevent piracy, while in reality it seems to only hurt their fanbase willing to buy it while the pirates don't suffer (as they'll work out a patch around this)). 
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

ackblom12

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2012, 08:09 »

Well, everything involving the map generation is done server side now, so it would require quite a patch most likely. Supposedly it's done more for hack and Auction house fraud protection, but considering the beta had shadow servers going I doubt it'll take long for that all to be broken.

Basically I think that there's next to no chance of SP going client side for minimum of a couple of years, if ever. Look how long it took for them to even consider a LAN option for tournament events with Starcraft II.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2012, 14:19 by ackblom12 »

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2012, 08:37 »

Blizzard has announced time and again that it has no plans at all to create a single player, offline version or patch. Apparently it would require an enormous amount of work and basically entail rewriting mass portions of the game's code. I highly doubt they'll do it, in any case. As pointed out, I've read that the real reason (beyond DRM, even) for the on-line always requirement is that Blizzard figures a much higher percentage of players will use the cash-for-loot auction house this way, thus providing Blizzard (who takes a cut) with a constant revenue stream from gamers, almost as if it was running an MMO (albeit a cheap one). Of course, this will probably be used in part to cover server costs, but Blizzard wouldn't have made this move and risked alienating fans if it wasn't going to make the company a boatload more money.

I've decided to skip D3 for the time being, possibly forever (pending a stable, reliable, off-line option, either official or otherwise). It really, really pains me to say that; D1 was one of the very first games I played on my own and I have extremely nostalgic memories of staying up way past my bedtime (I was 8 I think, maybe 9) and being terrified (because that game was damn atmospheric and scary) and playing for hours on end. Ditto D2. And I realize that pretty much no one who worked on those games worked on D3, but still. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I always played single player. That's just how I roll. I don't want to deal with all the potential headaches (and other players) that online play necessitates. In other words: Blizzard, you lost me, one of the most loyal Diablo fans out there, thanks to this godawful and greedy decision.

Looks like it's back to D2, Torchlight, Dungeon Siege, and Arcanum (plus maybe a new game of Icewind Dale...). I guess I can't complain about that.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2012, 11:47 »

Seriously, if this fucking situation persists I'm never playing computer and video games again. I just want to sit down, chill out, and play without having to agree to three different contracts first. Yeah, that's what it is. Contracts. The lawyer inside me screams. They are acting like I'm a shady alien, buying a bazooka.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2012, 05:03 »

Aside from a little bit of lag here and there I enjoyed being a Barbarian and fucking shit up. I got into act 2 a couple of days ago (I was on another PC, I can't play on this one) and I got mauled and killed endlessly. Playing with people from Reddit is fun, via Mumble. BTW, my battle.net battletag is DrPhibes#2965 Add me :)

ackblom12

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2012, 05:46 »

I'm at the end of Act IV now and I really want to go back to earlier towns, but I have no idea if I can do so once I beat Normal. I need to farm for a couple of rare crafting materials.

Also, there is an item in Act II on one of the town merchants called "Wirt's Cow Bell" and it cost 100k. I decided to look up how to use it, because we all know what it means, and...

(click to show/hide)

Edit: And figured out how to go back to earlier areas.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 05:53 by ackblom12 »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2012, 10:05 »

Yessss!

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2012, 10:56 »

So I've been turbonerding pretty hard the past few days, hit level 60 on my Barb, and am now in Act IV Hell. Loving the game, but goddamn some stuff gets pretty serious business in the higher difficulties. Champion packs, depending on the combination of affixes they get, can actually be unkillable for an entire group, let alone a solo barb. Also going from NM-->Hell I had to pack away my trusty dual wielding frenzy all-out balls to the wall DPS build that had served me thus far, and go into basically the heaviest turtle build possible just so I wouldn't die to anything that touched me.

Game gets hard.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

ackblom12

« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2012, 11:38 »

I'm a little concerned with going into Hell with my Witch Doctor, what with how much the Gargantuan is already losing survivability in Nightmare. Probably going to need to start getting used to using Spirit Walk for escape options.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2012, 09:55 »

Alright, so the more I play this game the more the bad parts of this game irritate the hell out of me.

After playing the Torchlight II Beta I'm just flabbergasted at how much more charm and space there is to it, where D3 seems to make some of the exact same mistakes D2 made on release but with even lazier design, like the fact that 3 of the 4 Act locations are retreads from Diablo 2.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2012, 01:18 »

Meh. I've had fun with it.

ackblom12

« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2012, 01:40 »

Oh so have I, I've put almost 80 hours into it already, but it doesn't change how lazy this game feels in every way but the actual gameplay.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2012, 06:32 »

Oh so have I, I've put almost 80 hours into it already, but it doesn't change how lazy this game feels in every way but the actual gameplay.

(click to show/hide)
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Alzarath

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2012, 10:31 »

I was a Blizzard fanboy once. Then World of Warcraft killed them. Diablo III looks like garbage compared to Diablo II. There are tons of topics out there saying why, so I feel no need to go into detail, but unfortunately Diablo III is going to be the official end to my Blizzard fanboyism. I grew up on StarCraft, and even if it is terrible I'll be too blinded by nostalgia (plus I enjoy the heck out of map-making). So when I finish the StarCraft 2 trilogy, Blizzard will be officially dead to me. Oh well, it was a nice run. Time to find another company to fanboy over.

Torchlight II on the other hand is brilliant from what I've played in the beta. I pre-ordered it a few days ago and wait eagerly for the release. (Don't want to over-play it before I can even get past the limits, do I?)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2012, 08:26 »

WoW I think keeps ignoring the best part of the game - the lore. (At least that's my favorite part.) Which is why Cataclysm felt a little lacking to me (everything is now about the Cataclysm) and Mists of Pandaria seems like a joke. What about all the stuff with the Emerald Dream? That was a rumored expansion for the longest time because, well, it made sense. Pandaria makes no sense whatsoever - it's based off of an April Fool's joke. They're just catering to a specific fan base, which I don't think they should. They keep messing things up. WotLK was by far the best expansion in terms of game play and story line. I have never played Starcraft, played very little Diablo II, and have yet to play Diablo III, but I've heard lots of similar complaints from others. I plan on getting Diablo III, but I won't be buying the next expansion for WoW when it comes out. I've kind of lost interest in it.

Alzarath

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2012, 08:52 »

WoW I think keeps ignoring the best part of the game - the lore.

I honestly think WoW killed the Warcraft lore for me. Warcraft III had some interesting lore, and I quite enjoyed the gameplay. World of Warcraft made the lore really difficult to follow, not to mention I'm really not a fan of MMOs. I hear Diablo III's lore wasn't as good as the old ones, which of course would be no surprise, but I wont judge on that part. I think they should have kept Blizzard North around. They made Diablo great, and most of the people from there made Torchlight pretty good too. I'd like to pin the blame on Activision, but it's Blizzard who are making the games, who made the decisions themselves and I'm sure they would have fallen to this level without them too.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2012, 17:09 »

WoW I think keeps ignoring the best part of the game - the lore.

I honestly think WoW killed the Warcraft lore for me. Warcraft III had some interesting lore, and I quite enjoyed the gameplay. World of Warcraft made the lore really difficult to follow, not to mention I'm really not a fan of MMOs. I hear Diablo III's lore wasn't as good as the old ones, which of course would be no surprise, but I wont judge on that part. I think they should have kept Blizzard North around. They made Diablo great, and most of the people from there made Torchlight pretty good too. I'd like to pin the blame on Activision, but it's Blizzard who are making the games, who made the decisions themselves and I'm sure they would have fallen to this level without them too.
I love the Warcraft lore...it gets annoying though when people scream "LESS TALKING MORE PURPLES!!!!1!1!1111" during cutscene moments.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jun 2012, 17:41 »

Finally got the game. Up to Act II and I like it well enough so far. I am still getting a hang of mechanics, but I think that's because I only played Diablo II once. I think at some point I'll go ahead and get Diablo II and replay it so I can fill in the gaps.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jun 2012, 20:11 »

While you should definitely play DII - it's brilliant! - it won't help you with any of the D3 mechanics I've seen in action. Character building and skill implementation are altogether different from one to the next.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2012, 03:32 »

It's more like getting used to things that haven't changed. Like I didn't know you could train the guys you can hire to follow you. It hasn't been that complicated, though. Just a few things I wish I'd known. And the gaps are mostly from storyline.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #32 on: 21 Jun 2012, 03:40 »

I´m seriously considering selling my battlenet account. Anyone got experience how one would go about to do that?

I only got D3 on there and WoW from years back.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2012, 18:26 »

WoW I think keeps ignoring the best part of the game - the lore. (At least that's my favorite part.) Which is why Cataclysm felt a little lacking to me (everything is now about the Cataclysm) and Mists of Pandaria seems like a joke. What about all the stuff with the Emerald Dream? That was a rumored expansion for the longest time because, well, it made sense.
Everyone's just like, "LESS TALKING AND MORE LOOTING!!!1!", hence why they don't focus on lore so much (well, they do, actually, you just have to be patient enough to see it).

Emerald Dream data already exists within the game files (there are a few exploration videos of it), so it's very likely that it'll appear at some point.  Then again, the Outland game files went through a huge change between the original stuff and what was released in Burning Crusade.

And then there's the storied "Prophecy Post", where every expansion and plan for WoW was laid out in one post by a former CM.  People who repost it get an automatic ban, and even mentioning it can get you in hot water.  But those who have seen it (or have it saved somewhere) say that the expansions so far have followed the prophecy post to a T.

IMO, WoW won't end until Sargeras appears as a raid boss.  Or The Ashbringer appears as a player-item (Corrupted Ashbringer doesn't count, since the quest that was supposed to be implemented in Outland was never put in place, though you can find the questgiver in Sha'tar...).

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jun 2012, 06:00 »

And then there's the storied "Prophecy Post", where every expansion and plan for WoW was laid out in one post by a former CM.  People who repost it get an automatic ban, and even mentioning it can get you in hot water.  But those who have seen it (or have it saved somewhere) say that the expansions so far have followed the prophecy post to a T.
Wouldn't it be trivial to upload such a post to a host that Blizzard can't get to? Why hasn't anyone done that?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #35 on: 25 Jun 2012, 08:34 »

That sounds like some BS to me because the next expansion makes no freaking sense and is kind of based off of an April Fool's joke.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jun 2012, 15:50 »

I killed Diablo! And now I get to play through the same story line on a harder mode... But at least I can go back and find all of the ingredients for Whimsyshire.

ackblom12

« Reply #37 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:14 »

Necro for the best news this game could possibly have.

Diablo III Auction Houses are Shutting Down in March 2014

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #39 on: 17 Sep 2013, 22:04 »

Apparently the console version of Diablo III is the best thing that's ever happened to the game as well, it is the superior to the PC release in every way according to an exhaustive article I seem to have misplaced.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #40 on: 17 Sep 2013, 22:41 »

Yeah, from what I gather the Console version is improved 99% by the fact that the item drops are not balanced around that tumor of an AH. In March, my PC version will be playable again. I will no longer find loot drops that are a guaranteed 10 levels lower than myself.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #41 on: 18 Sep 2013, 09:23 »

I am going to probably pick up D3: Sexbox360 edition
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up