THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 03:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: English is weird  (Read 304217 times)

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
Re: English is weird
« Reply #150 on: 16 Sep 2012, 08:41 »

Then what did the English use for the color before discovering India?

Orange, like any of the prime colours is more of a collective word than a definitive term. Many different words would have been used prior to the discovery of the orange by English speakers* mostly giving a closer idea of the colour that the speaker, or indeed writer, was describing. However, Ochre and Ochreous would have probably been most common owing to it's broad tonal output and commonality as a dye.

*I suspect the word was more thrust on English speakers by the combinative force of French and Latin speakers.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #151 on: 16 Sep 2012, 10:38 »

probably red. Color divisions are linguistic not optical. 
English has 11 basic color categories :red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, black, white, grey and pink. but where exactly the divisions are between those colors are is still subject to some debate where does. 

How many colors do you see there.  If you were dividing that spectrum evenly into the colors on it would you have a word for each of them?  Do some of your color words seem to take up more of the spectrum? Does it matter if a color is light or dark? or where it usually appears in your environment?
How much detail do we need in our color words?

Not all languages have 11 color words.  A famous example is the Welsh "glas" which covers the colors we call "blue", "green" and "grey" another example is Himba, which has only 4 colors.
a video about the Himba's ability to distinguish color.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #152 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:04 »

I can't find it on the first three searches, but xkcd did a survey about what people call different colors.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #153 on: 16 Sep 2012, 12:14 »

That's because it's on the blog, not on the comic.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #154 on: 16 Sep 2012, 12:18 »

This one? Some of the answers are hilarious.

Oo, pipped to the post. Oh well.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #155 on: 16 Sep 2012, 23:15 »

Golden? 

They may well not have had a word for it. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #156 on: 17 Sep 2012, 14:44 »

How many colors do you see there. 
Um, only about nine. And that's because of this case of deuteranopia that I have.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Papersatan

« Reply #157 on: 17 Sep 2012, 15:41 »

These are the different colors I see

These are the different colors I have words for

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #158 on: 17 Sep 2012, 19:30 »

I see a few hundred colors there, could probably tell you the rough CMYK for each (would be better in RGB but I work more in print than screen), and have words for... I dunno, I could probably come up with a word for 25-30 of them maybe? Maybe more? I mean it depends on if you can include stuff like "burnt orange" or "salmon pink" - descriptive, not separate words. Anymore, my "color names" are just CMYK values, really - that's the only way I think of them.

ETA: This is a fun test to determine how accurately you see color. I scored a 4 out of 100, meaning I basically had 4 out of order (switched two in two places). (another edit - that was last time I took it, a long time ago. I just did it again and got a 0/100) Of course it depends on how accurate your monitor is, but that's only for fine detail.

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2012, 19:46 by Elysiana »

Papersatan

« Reply #159 on: 17 Sep 2012, 19:53 »

The names I was using were from what are recognized as the standard 11 color words in English. I could come up with more color names for sure, but less than you I am sure, since I don't work with color for a living.

My division is not so much where I can see that the color is different, but, since one has to divide somewhere, these are where I would divide if I were say, sorting fabric into piles, or developing my own language. 

I scored a 16.  It is interesting my errors were all in the same part of the spectrum, the blue to purple part.  That seems to correlate with the level of detail I made when I divided the spectrum above.  particularly since I keep looking at that yellow/green section I made and thinking it needs another line through it. 

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #160 on: 17 Sep 2012, 20:14 »

And of course another good question is whether your (in general) words for certain colors correlate with others' words. Ryan, for example, will call something red and to me it is DISTINCTLY orange. Or call something blue when I see it as DISTINCTLY turquoise - almost green. I don't think he's color blind, he just divides it up much differently than most people would, I think.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #161 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:29 »

IIRC, the ancient Greeks described the sky as being the same colour as a bronze shield. I think the word was 'bright', but I'm not certain.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #162 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:49 »

My girlfriend is a nail artist and she can tell colors apart which look not only similar to me, but identical. With her I think it comes from practicing. I (kind of) refuse to believe it is a question of gender. Not that anyone has claimed that.

She's also super-sensitive to some colors and mixtures of colors and will say that, for example, a Miró painting makes her feel sick, just based on the colors.

Like this one she can't stand: http://uima.uiowa.edu/assets/Uploads/_resampled/SetWidth500-19483small.jpg

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #163 on: 18 Sep 2012, 06:15 »

I don't think it's a gender thing either - women probably just tend to be the ones that pay more attention to the names of colors, while guys just use a few names for a more general range. Most of the graphic artist guys I know can see just as many distinct colors as I can - like you said, it comes from practicing and working with them on a regular basis.

I wonder if your girlfriend has a slight bit of synesthesia!

Papersatan

« Reply #164 on: 18 Sep 2012, 08:10 »

Also isn't color blindness a recessive gene on the X, making men much more likely to be color blind?

I have also wondered about this with respect to the color pink.  My hair is pink, I think it is obviously pink, but people regularly, and particularly men, call is red.  I wonder how much of this is just that women are somehow socialized to care about color more.  But I would think with the social pressure for men to not wear or like pink that they would be particularly sensitive to identifying it?

I had a coworker once who couldn't tell pink from red, and I confirmed (by holding pink and red things next to each other) that he really couldn't tell the difference, not just that he was using red as a general word that covered pink. 

He would tell me that the first color there was a little lighter than the second.   To me it is also obviously a lot bluer. Pink is not "light red" it is a separate color, and the two colors clash. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #165 on: 18 Sep 2012, 18:11 »

Well, yeah, even I can see that. Greens, however - you start to throw me a bit.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #166 on: 18 Sep 2012, 18:55 »

No, pink IS a light red. You are using pink when you should be using magenta. Magenta is not a red, it's a magenta. Pink is either a true red or a blue-leaning red mixed with white. (Yellow-leaning reds do not make what is usually defined as pink.) That's why magenta and red typically clash - they are not the same. However, a red and a red that has been tinted (pink) will not clash, because they are essentially the same color, just different values.

Granted I know a crap ton of color names and it's all because of paint colors. But then again, I'm trained to see the nuances in color and like Elysiana can go through that chart and name a whole bunch of colors. (Also that spectrum is lacking. It doesn't give enough violets.)

Edit: Also to be pedantic, you didn't post an actual red, you posted a red-orange. What people typically think of red (Coca-Cola red) is red orange whereas red-red is more like the color of a red rose. I'll see if I can find some kind of example, because I'm not sure if that sentence makes much sense without a visual...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #167 on: 18 Sep 2012, 20:34 »

To be pedantic, she posted a pure red in both CMYK and RGB color space - that's about as "proper" red as it can get! (255,0,0 and 0AA0)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #168 on: 18 Sep 2012, 21:34 »

Not really... I made a visual to better explain this.

On the left is the exact color Kat posted (#FE0000), in the middle is what my Photoshop swatch calls "true red" (#DF0024), and on the right is "pure magenta red" (#E10052). FE0000 can't be a true red because its tints show how it leans yellow because they look orangey-flesh instead of pink. The middle is also not what I'd consider a true red, because it also still has a little bit of orange in the tints, though it is a better idea of what red-red actually is. And the magenta I threw in to clarify about magenta not really being a pink because it doesn't start out as red.

In paint terms, the first two colors are more of a Cadmium Red medium and would be great for oranges. If I wanted a pink without using magenta, I'd have to find a crimson. Probably closer to one of these:

This has stopped really being about English being weird and is going into color theory, but whatevs. I like color theory. :-D

Also you can paint in both RGB and CYMK! The way you mix colors is just a little different, same with on a computer.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #169 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:35 »

I wonder if your girlfriend has a slight bit of synesthesia!

Checked it out. Wow, interesting..

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #170 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:17 »

This has stopped really being about English being weird and is going into color theory, but whatevs. I like color theory. :-D

No, we're talking about color names - I think that qualifies as "English is weird".  Other languages do color names differently.  The Russian words for "red" and "beautiful" come from the same root...

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #171 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:20 »

And that root is communism?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #172 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:26 »

Linds, what I meant was that if you tell a painter to use red, they'll use one version, and if you tell a graphic artist to use red, they'll use another, etc. Red is different depending on what you do. If a client told me to use red, I'd use 0AA0 without hesitation - anything else is not just plain old "red". And your example on the right, which you call magenta, is something totally different to me - magenta to me is 0A00, no yellow whatsoever.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2012, 05:39 by Elysiana »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #173 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:31 »

And that root is communism?

Krahss, i you must know.  Krahssnee for red, krahssivoi for beautiful. 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #174 on: 19 Sep 2012, 06:58 »

Linds, what I meant was that if you tell a painter to use red, they'll use one version, and if you tell a graphic artist to use red, they'll use another, etc. Red is different depending on what you do. If a client told me to use red, I'd use 0AA0 without hesitation - anything else is not just plain old "red". And your example on the right, which you call magenta, is something totally different to me - magenta to me is 0A00, no yellow whatsoever.

Ah. Missed that. Also I didn't mean to say there was yellow in magenta, because there isn't. :lol: That was just a clarification of why magenta, pink, and red aren't the same.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #175 on: 19 Sep 2012, 07:08 »

Yeah, I went back and reread what I'd written and realized it was all "THAT'S NOT RED".

Also, erm... how does one paint in RGB? R+G in light doesn't equal R+G in paint. I don't follow how that works!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
English is weird
« Reply #176 on: 19 Sep 2012, 07:13 »

RGB is adding colours to the screen's natural blackness. CMY(K) is subtracting colours from the natural white illumination being reflected by the canvass.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #177 on: 19 Sep 2012, 07:20 »

It's just what base colors you use. Most people start with a set of red, yellow, blue, black, and white. (Replacing green with yellow, but they still call it RGB for whatever reason.) CYMK in paint is just that - cyan, yellow, magenta, black, and also a white. You use those colors to mix your primaries instead of starting with them. It's not really the same as how RGB works, because you can't make yellow with green in paint, but enough designers would come into my old store referring it that way, that I just learned to understand what they meant.

This was mostly older designers, mind you, and they phrased things oddly. Such as calling a roll of tracing paper "bum wad".

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #178 on: 19 Sep 2012, 07:35 »

Oh, that seems odd to me to call it that; RGB almost always refers to screen/light anymore. Like you said, you can't get yellow using R, G, and B. RYB makes sense though, that's how I'm used to using paints (in the limited experience I have).

Hehehe. Bumwad.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #179 on: 19 Sep 2012, 13:09 »

I see a few hundred colors there, could probably tell you the rough CMYK for each (would be better in RGB but I work more in print than screen), and have words for... I dunno, I could probably come up with a word for 25-30 of them maybe? Maybe more? I mean it depends on if you can include stuff like "burnt orange" or "salmon pink" - descriptive, not separate words. Anymore, my "color names" are just CMYK values, really - that's the only way I think of them.

ETA: This is a fun test to determine how accurately you see color. I scored a 4 out of 100, meaning I basically had 4 out of order (switched two in two places). (another edit - that was last time I took it, a long time ago. I just did it again and got a 0/100) Of course it depends on how accurate your monitor is, but that's only for fine detail.

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

Perfect score. Yay!

Papersatan

« Reply #180 on: 19 Sep 2012, 13:17 »

One last thing on Magenta v. Red.  Magenta is not one of the 11 English color words.  We could always get more specific with color names, but the 11 words we teach children, that ESL students learn and which you need to know to have basic competence in life are the ones I was talking about.  Magenta would need to be pink, purple, or red.  Where you put it may be up for debate, but calling it magenta isn't an option in the exercise I was doing. 

Unrelated:
There are a bunch of words that I always type as compound words but that are not.  My internal logic had decided that they SHOULD be compound words, and just refuses to type them with a space between.  The two I have just used in this paper I am writing: be able, in front.  If I were a linguist I would be interested to look at the full list and see if there is actually a logical pattern to the word pairs I do this with, because it is not all pairs that regularly come in sets.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #181 on: 19 Sep 2012, 13:36 »

You should write a book about it! Call it "The Tales of Beable the Barred; or, words that aren't allowed but that I use anyway"
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #182 on: 19 Sep 2012, 13:45 »

The two I have just used in this paper I am writing: be able, in front.
Put them in sentences.

Zingoleb

« Reply #183 on: 19 Sep 2012, 23:09 »

I do that with every phrases. Everynight, everytime. Everyday is a word, so why not?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #184 on: 19 Sep 2012, 23:15 »

Everyday does not mean every day.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Zingoleb

« Reply #185 on: 19 Sep 2012, 23:57 »

Care to clarify?

Edit: Oh, googling things helps.

Papersatan

« Reply #186 on: 24 Sep 2012, 08:46 »

Inorder is another one. 

In use:  I would need more evidence inorder to make that judgement.  I would type two words if I wanted to say: put the books in order.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #187 on: 24 Sep 2012, 09:59 »

Sorry, but I would simply put a red cross against that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #188 on: 24 Sep 2012, 15:51 »

Yeah, I'd use 'in order' for both of those examples.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #189 on: 24 Sep 2012, 16:01 »

Well yes, that's because inorder isn't a real word - which Kat acknowledged! I sometimes do the same thing, and much more commonly will simply squish two words together, for instance lithis.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #190 on: 24 Sep 2012, 16:57 »

But do you pronounce it with the k?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #191 on: 25 Sep 2012, 21:09 »

As in "knight".  :-)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #192 on: 25 Sep 2012, 23:03 »

Why is it that in English you "take" a bus or a shower?

In Russian you sit on a bus, and receive a shower. Makes more sense.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #193 on: 26 Sep 2012, 00:41 »

I catch a bus and have a shower.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #194 on: 26 Sep 2012, 01:04 »

As in "knight".  :-)
No, the k as in "like this." I thought Barmymoo squished like this, forcing out the k.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #195 on: 26 Sep 2012, 01:05 »

At at least through my teens, we "let" a fart, i.e., "Did you just let one?"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #196 on: 26 Sep 2012, 03:58 »

I catch a bus and have a shower.

Me too, although in America I took a lot of showers. Never took the bus though.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #197 on: 26 Sep 2012, 06:49 »

No, the k as in "like this." I thought Barmymoo squished like this, forcing out the k.
Exactly. Pronouncing the k in "like this" like the k in "knight". :-)  It's not uncommon to hear "liethis" in Australia, and even "dooeeliethis". But then we run a lot of words together.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #198 on: 26 Sep 2012, 07:20 »

If I say "like this" fast, I skip the k and it comes out "liethis".

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #199 on: 26 Sep 2012, 07:34 »

It could have something to do with the fact that I had speech therapy as a child, but I always pronounce every syllable. I use contractions, but I won't smoosh words together. I have also managed not to pick up a Baltimore accent, which is awesome. I personally think I have a very basic east coast accent, which from what I've heard is considered good for TV and radio.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24   Go Up