THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: English is weird  (Read 304084 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: English is weird
« Reply #300 on: 03 Nov 2013, 02:04 »

If a bread knife is used for cutting bread,
and a steak knife is used for cutting steak,
and a butter knife is used for cutting butter,
what is a chef knife for?
Chef's knives do quite often cut chefs, but a sheath-knife is not for cutting sheaths, a boot-knife is not for cutting boots, a jack-knife is not for cutting jacks, a flick-knife is not for cutting flicks, a trench-knife is not for cutting trenches, and a butterfly-knife is not for cutting butterflies.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #301 on: 03 Nov 2013, 02:55 »

Sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil ... baby oil?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #302 on: 03 Nov 2013, 06:48 »

If a bread knife is used for cutting bread,
and a steak knife is used for cutting steak,
and a butter knife is used for cutting butter,
what is a chef knife for?
Chef's knives do quite often cut chefs, but a sheath-knife is not for cutting sheaths, a boot-knife is not for cutting boots, a jack-knife is not for cutting jacks, a flick-knife is not for cutting flicks, a trench-knife is not for cutting trenches, and a butterfly-knife is not for cutting butterflies.

trench knives are for cutting things IN trenches though!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #303 on: 03 Nov 2013, 11:00 »

I can never forget that deadpan line from The Addams Family about Girl Scout cookies.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #304 on: 03 Nov 2013, 22:10 »

Sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil ... baby oil?

Olive Oyl's family from the old Popeye comics; father Cole, mother Nana, and brother Castor. 

Maybe this belongs in the pun thread, but...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #305 on: 04 Nov 2013, 00:14 »

Some try to use ghoti as an example of how weird the rules of English spelling are.  And while the rules mentioned for the parts of the word are all true, they are not true for how the word is constructed.  No English word that starts with gh has the gh make the 'f' sound, nor does a word ending in ti make the 'sh' sound.

Linguists have pointed out that the location of the letters in the constructed word is inconsistent with how those letters would be pronounced in those placements, and that the expected pronunciation in English would be "goaty".  For instance, the letters "gh" cannot be pronounced /f/ at the beginning of a syllable, and the letters "ti" cannot be pronounced /ʃ/ at the end of a syllable.

Rules, people.  They exist for a reason.  Else we'd all be a bunch of uncultured barbarians.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #306 on: 04 Nov 2013, 00:19 »

Some try to use ghoti as an example of how weird the rules of English spelling are.

It was G B Shaw who used that example.  And even though it's not realistic, it does make the point.  I prefer to point out the number of different sounds represented by "ough" (I have nine to hand).  (Or ten even - here I am saying them.)
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2013, 00:31 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #307 on: 10 Nov 2013, 22:46 »

Maybe this belongs in the pun thread, but...
Oh, no. NO. Someone mentions this thread, so I find it and read all 300+ posts...only to see this. Damn you, sir.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #308 on: 11 Nov 2013, 00:55 »

My wife and I were talking about electric vehicles and she observed that "charging station" is actually a contradiction in terms.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #309 on: 14 Nov 2013, 05:15 »

I was talking to a colleague about the origin of the work "trunk" for the luggage compartment of a car, which we call "boot" over here.  She found this thread for me, which I enjoyed in a number of ways.

I'd not previously met the terms "leftpondian" and "rightpondian", and their more detailed derivatives, though referring to the Atlantic as "the pond" is common when talking about the two sides of it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #310 on: 14 Nov 2013, 10:31 »

I'm not crazy about "left/right" being used to refer to "west/east" but I call the Atlantic the pond all the time.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #311 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:23 »

Posh.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #312 on: 15 Nov 2013, 02:42 »

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #313 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:06 »

FYI that Chinese character at the end is or wén which means "language".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #314 on: 15 Nov 2013, 14:04 »

Shouldn't "denoting" be the opposite of "noting"?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #315 on: 15 Nov 2013, 14:08 »

Quite some time ago I decided that "dote", when used as a noun, referred to a poison. I still think it makes sense.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #316 on: 15 Nov 2013, 14:38 »

Shouldn't "denoting" be the opposite of "noting"?
There are so many words with the de- prefix that have no relation to their meaning without the prefix, that de- must have (had) a different meaning than to undo something.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #317 on: 15 Nov 2013, 14:57 »

See also flammable and inflammable.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #318 on: 15 Nov 2013, 15:24 »

There are so many words with the de- prefix that have no relation to their meaning without the prefix, that de- must have (had) a different meaning than to undo something.
Or de- words that are "rootless" in the sense that the word that is prefixed does not exist. For example: "degauss", when "gauss" is not a verb, and nothing is ever "gaussed".

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #319 on: 15 Nov 2013, 16:37 »

A lot of them are indeed rootless (as far as modern speech is concerned), like delete, derive, defy, deflect, deride, despise, deceive, declare, destroy, demolish, devour, decide, deduce, deject, develop, debate, decant, deprive, deprave, decay and detect, but many also seem to have a root, like devote, detest, deserve, default, decry, defeat, descent, decease, defence, delay, deliberate, deliver, denominate, depart, deploy, depress, design and detail.

Thus ends this demonstration.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #320 on: 15 Nov 2013, 18:54 »

But some of those "rootless" de- words do have a counterpart that begins with re-, suggesting a common etymological root at some point, even if the root is no longer in use as a standalone word. Such as: reflect, receive, reduce, reject, recant, revise, repress, resist.

See also:
(click to show/hide)
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #321 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:01 »

How many profane verbs are used as positive adjectives? It occured to me that "bitching" (or "bitchin'" as it's more commonly used) as an adjective is often a good thing. "That wave was totally bitchin'." (It looks like a gerund but it's really an adjective, like 'awesome'.) But you can't do that with other profane verbs-as-adjectives. "Totally fuckin'/shittin'/pissin'/dickin'" are never used. Nor are "Cuntin'/Whorin'/Assin'"... fuck, I'm running out of profanity.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #322 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:23 »

See also:
(click to show/hide)

Yes.

From OED (heavily précied):

whelm verb & noun. verb intrans: Overturn, capsize. verb trans: Turn (a hollow vessel) upside down, cover with an upside-down vessel; submerge, drown, bury.  noun: A wooden drainpipe originally made from a hollowed tree trunk; a surge (of activity, water, etc) poet.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #323 on: 27 Nov 2013, 23:58 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #324 on: 28 Nov 2013, 01:08 »

I think the motivations for the changes are a bit cherry-picked - but the one about changes to match an incorrect Latin etymology is true enough.  But basically it can be summarised by saying that English has been hacked together and bashed about more than most languages, and it shows.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #325 on: 28 Nov 2013, 14:36 »

Quote from: James Davis Nicoll
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle[sic] their pockets for new vocabulary.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #326 on: 29 Nov 2013, 00:22 »

That quote isn't from Pratchett? I need to read more of this man.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #327 on: 30 Nov 2013, 00:18 »

As far as I can tell, the I Before E rule does work, but you have to approach it from a bit of an etymological standpoint. It applies almost uniformly to words that are not:

Words of romance origin into Middle English (and some other words with two pronounced syllables ie or ei, like science)
German bastardizations, like neighbor (nachbar), eight (acht), freight (fracht), etc
anything from gaelic
Loan words, for the love of god why would you apply a spelling rule to words that came from a completely different language with completely different spelling rules, like ceilidh, hacienda, Eid, geisha, zeitgeist, and sheikh, of course it isn't going to work you idiots
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #328 on: 30 Nov 2013, 06:51 »

Considering much of the English language is words of Romance origin into Middle English, German bastardizations and a smattering of Gaelic, it's safe to say the rule doesn't work.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #329 on: 30 Nov 2013, 08:49 »

It's not so bad if you recall that it only applies to the sound "-ee-"; but yes, it's a pretty crap rule, though somewhat useful in practice.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #330 on: 30 Nov 2013, 12:45 »

"...or except as an 'a', as in neighbor and weigh."

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #331 on: 09 Dec 2013, 01:05 »

I was thinking today, while waiting for a compile/make at work, that it is odd that army is treated as a singular while police is treated as a plural:

The police are investigating a murder.

The army is attacking the enemy.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #332 on: 09 Dec 2013, 02:57 »

I decided to try mixing those sentences around, to see how weird they looked, and I ended up with this:

The police is attacking a murder.

The army are investigating the enemy.

... I need more sleep.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #333 on: 09 Dec 2013, 03:23 »

"The army are" sounds less strange than "the police is" I think.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #334 on: 09 Dec 2013, 03:32 »

Unless you travel south of the river

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #335 on: 09 Dec 2013, 03:33 »

I think it's less jarring because the word "police" can be both singular and plural, while the word "army" is singular. Moreover, the army is usually seen as a single monolithic institution while in this example it's implied that you have a bunch of police officers diligently investigating a murder.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #336 on: 09 Dec 2013, 03:39 »

I was observing to my Polish housemate the other day that the exact same phrase in English can have totally opposite meanings depending on tone of voice.

The example I used was 'Can we not do that?'

In fact it's not even just tone, but facial expression. Sour faced expression 'Can we not do that?' means 'I don't want to do that.' Wry grin expression 'Can we not do that?' means 'I do want to do that.'

Also, in London vernacular, 'allow it' means 'stop it,' which is LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT 'ALLOW IT' MEANS
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #337 on: 09 Dec 2013, 03:49 »

I think it's less jarring because the word "police" can be both singular and plural, while the word "army" is singular. Moreover, the army is usually seen as a single monolithic institution while in this example it's implied that you have a bunch of police officers diligently investigating a murder.
I think you've got it wrong. Why not consider each individual soldier and support staff in the army like you consider the police officers and clerks?

Police' is an uncountable noun, while 'army' is a countable noun, but that doesn't explain anything further. "The information have been collected" doesn't work, for example, nor does "The money are arrived."

The same discussion is being had here.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #338 on: 09 Dec 2013, 03:56 »

[...]
Also, in London vernacular, 'allow it' means 'stop it,' which is LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT 'ALLOW IT' MEANS
Could you give an example of how that is supposed to work?
My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #339 on: 09 Dec 2013, 04:11 »

I second Beo's request for an example.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #340 on: 09 Dec 2013, 04:12 »

I've been away from London for a while but I think it goes a little something like this;

"I'm gonna keep hitting on your mum's 'til she gives us a nosh"

"allow it"

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #341 on: 09 Dec 2013, 04:16 »

Also, I realise English is the grubby kleptomaniac cousin in linguistics, but I've been a bit surprised at the increase in Cheezburger vernacular  on the street.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #342 on: 09 Dec 2013, 04:17 »

I am baffled at how much memes have penetrated into real culture.

And Killer's example is spot on. It's literally just as simple as 'Man you're such a dick, why do you have to be such a dick all the time?' 'All right, all right, allow it!'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #343 on: 09 Dec 2013, 04:23 »

Nosh is one if me favourite euphemisms at the moment, mostly because there's a sandwich chain of that name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #344 on: 09 Dec 2013, 07:31 »

Wait, that's a euphemism? I thought he wanted the mom to fix him and his friends a snack :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #345 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:05 »

Nosh is Yiddish for food or a meal (also cf German: naschen, to nibble).  In US also a snack or titbit.  (from OED)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #346 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:12 »

I like to nosh on a knish. 

The k is not silent. 

We call it a knosh.    :D
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #347 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:13 »

It's "Nosh" to me. There's a lovely little wine bar in Estes Park, CO called Nosh that has some fantastic cheese and snack platters.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #348 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:20 »

I love knishes! They are the best (then again I love the potato in almost any form).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #349 on: 29 Dec 2013, 12:56 »

My Art.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Up