THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 17:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

MOTY MOTY, MOTY, can't you see? Sometimes your polls just hypnotize me...

QC In Space Guest Strip by Scott DeWitt of FANBOYS!
- 0 (0%)
Yelling Bird and Sweetits
- 0 (0%)
Shame orb is now Pride Orb!
- 2 (5.6%)
SO THAT'S WHY YOU CAN'T LEAVE THE COUNTRY ANYMORE
- 0 (0%)
BAM BAM BAM
- 0 (0%)
H-hey dad, what's the ma- EXPLAIN STEAMPUNK.
- 1 (2.8%)
Huh? STEAMPUNK. EXPLAIN IT.
- 2 (5.6%)
W-well, it's like... 180''s technology only made all weird...
- 0 (0%)
And people dress up all old-timey only with gears and goggles and-
- 0 (0%)
GOD DAMN IT GOD DAMN IT GOD DAMN IT GOD DAMN IT
- 4 (11.1%)
All My Vices Are Devices t-shirt
- 7 (19.4%)
So apparently my brother isn't banging tons of girls at random anymore.
- 0 (0%)
Haven't seen flying pigs and earth's core is still molten.
- 0 (0%)
Hope he's okay (Now that he's stopped you're WORRIED?)
- 0 (0%)
It's just a sudden change! If you said you'd quit eating cupcakes.. (I resent that comparison)
- 1 (2.8%)
(Hey, that's my latte you're drinking!)
- 3 (8.3%)
STOP CUPCAKE-SHAMING ME
- 2 (5.6%)
What's the matter? (talking about cupcakes, made us desire cupcakes...)
- 0 (0%)
So we went and got some. And we ate them. God help us, we ate them all.
- 0 (0%)
Delicious baked treats to a rolling ball of hatred in my tummy
- 1 (2.8%)
You didn't save me a cupcake, you're terrible friends, and I shouldn't feel bad for you at all.
- 13 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2196-2200 (28 May - 1 Jun 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 39944 times)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Then explain to me the random sticking of gears on items in a non-functional form?  [ ... ]
MEFT*: When any one thing goes from "underground" to "popular", its "dumbed down" to its basic visual components in order to make it more easily comprehensible and attractive as a hobby (hence: popular).
(I always had the feeling that particular effect hit Steampunk undeservingly hard because marketing tried to keep it as far away from being associated from sci-fi as possible.)

... but to my shame I must admit to the occasional wearing of non-functional gear-style trinket because - to me - its an aesthetically appealing symbol.

Btw. "pasties"? dict.cc gives me a sort of baked good from England or forms of Pâté ... I am missing the right translation here. oO

* My explanation for this
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

You have to admit, her analogy did turn out to be remarkably apt.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Then explain to me the random sticking of gears on items in a non-functional form?  [ ... ]
MEFT*: When any one thing goes from "underground" to "popular", its "dumbed down" to its basic visual components in order to make it more easily comprehensible and attractive as a hobby (hence: popular).
(I always had the feeling that particular effect hit Steampunk undeservingly hard because marketing tried to keep it as far away from being associated from sci-fi as possible.)

... but to my shame I must admit to the occasional wearing of non-functional gear-style trinket because - to me - its an aesthetically appealing symbol.

Btw. "pasties"? dict.cc gives me a sort of baked good from England or forms of Pâté ... I am missing the right translation here. oO

* My explanation for this

Pasties = nipple covers.

And steampunk has largely the same problem as cyberpunk, which it started having before it became an aesthetic: "punk" genres are meant to offer dark sociopolitical commentary, visions of a troubled future or a troubled alternate history; see works like The Difference Engine or Queen Victoria's Bomb. It's not about how shiny the buttons on your longcoat are, or how cool your zeppelin is.

I digress, though. Faye and Dora are fantastic today. Should give longtime readers a shot of nostalgia.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

One thing I forgot to post about... "dumbing down" is only one way to broaden the appeal of something, surely?

Sometimes when someone complains that something has been "dumbed down" I wonder whether they are really just complaining that it's popular now.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

I think Faye's losing her edge. She's done worse to customers' drinks.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Guy shouldn't have asked for a small latte. The machine only does medium. :P

Marx0r

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • The future is certain

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster here. Not to be an asshole, but the Earth's core is actually solid due to the immense pressure on it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Welcome, new person!

The Earth's core is described as having two parts, the solid inner core (this was finally established to be solid in 1971) and the liquid outer core.  The inner core has about one third of the radius of the outer core, so comprises only about 4% of the total core's volume.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

You have to admit, her analogy did turn out to be remarkably apt.

and it's really disturbing the way Faye looks at them.  I mean it's like she's licking the icing off them in her mind the whole time. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Meanwhile, Francis York is about to ask if they know a woman named Marigold...
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2012, 04:49 by Throg »
SQUEEZE BOX

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

One thing I forgot to post about... "dumbing down" is only one way to broaden the appeal of something, surely?
Sometimes when someone complains that something has been "dumbed down" I wonder whether they are really just complaining that it's popular now.
My bad, of course it isn't. Sometimes making things simpler can be an improvement.

I put that in quotation marks because I couldn't come up with a better term...
"Adjust to marketability concerns"? "Simplify to appeal to wider audience"? Its hard to find terms that don't sound like synonyms of "to reduce" here...

(I love the English language... but sometimes its a pain. °O )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Meanwhile, Francis York is about to ask if they've know a woman named Marigold...

Now, Throg, we've had this conversation before. Just because someone looks like someone else in this strip, it doesn't mean it really is them.

Isn't that right, Penelope?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

El_Flesh

• BANNED
  • Emoticontraindication

Actually, I LoL'd at the background action - Faye taking a sip of the customer's espresso then handing it to him.

Bleeccchhh. Angus sperm in his coffee.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I've read through the archive again recently and this seems to be a recurring topic: oral hygene. °O

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Bleeccchhh. Extra cream in his coffee.

FYP
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

Cupcake shaming is the greatest thing ever.

Apparently the baristas have taken to tasting the coffee in front of the customers to prove that the drinks are not poisoned?

I thought something like this was standard operating procedure ever since Dora hired Faye.

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

Forgive me if someone already said this, I've been rather busy lately.  Rather, changing jobs.  Drama blah, blah, interesting stuff, boring stuff, save for another thread if I feel like posting about it.  Anyway, I'm just wondering if Dora is the person who Shame Orb passed the torch to.  She seemed to be channeling him (her, it?) in that last comic.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course

Anyway, I'm just wondering if Dora is the person who Shame Orb passed the torch to.  She seemed to be channeling him (her, it?) in that last comic.

I was thinking the same thing.  Perhaps she's the one who absorbed it's power and caused it to transform into the Pride Orb

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wait, what? Why? There are people who like steampunk but don't like sci-fi? You'd think they'd have a similar fanbase.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster here. Not to be an asshole, but the Earth's core is actually solid due to the immense pressure on it.
You can say that during a discussion of steampunk? Steampunk isn't just zeppelins to Mars. It also presumes the existence of a Pellucidar

Two Pages ago:
In my experience, people under 25, when confronted with a term they don't know ignore it under the assumption that what they don't know already must either be unimportant or stupid baby boomer nostalgia crap.

"Google it" is the battle cry of the 25-35 demographic and for anyone for whom the Internet is over 20+ years old, aka Internet early adopters.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I hate when I ask what something is only to be told to "google it".  Yes, I could look it up, but learning is more fun when it's a shared experience, especially when that leads to a discussion on an interesting topic.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

At my last job, I was derided as a Luddite dinosaur by the very kids I had to show how to frame a basic Google search.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

"Google it" is definitely something I've heard a lot amongst my peers and my brother's friends, and all of us are under 20. I think perhaps we should just conclude that people who use the internet a lot use Google and people who don't use the internet don't?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

We were facing away from the blackboard, so we don't know what the specials were.

At least Faye didn't blame the cupcakes for dressing provocatively.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The reason "google it" bugs me is because it makes me think of when you'd ask someone how to spell something and instead of being helpful they'd tell you to look it up.  There's no reason not to answer a question if you can, if it can't be explained easily then say that, don't be a dick about it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

At the same time, I can imagine, say, a clueless co-worker becoming irritating with frequent questions. Do I recall this happening in my own newsroom? Actually, no. What I do recall was being irritated by a coworker who would pick up the phone and dial information to get a phone number, never thinking to use the phone book.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I think there's a time and a place for making people find things out themselves. If someone wants to spell a word, then telling them the spelling is straight-forward. If they want to know why Syria is in a state of civil war, direct them to the internet because otherwise you'll be here all night.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Wait, what? Why? There are people who like steampunk but don't like sci-fi? You'd think they'd have a similar fanbase.
For no other reason other than to not create any possibility of crossing over of the genres. Thats never good for business.

(Note to self: Following through with an argument that contains hints at "the man" is harder than anticipated.)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd imagine it'd be great for business to appeal to fans of both genres, wouldn't that get twice as much money?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Or it would piss both off. Who knows? °O

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Meanwhile, Francis York is about to ask if they've know a woman named Marigold...

Now, Throg, we've had this conversation before. Just because someone looks like someone else in this strip, it doesn't mean it really is them.

Isn't that right, Penelope?

Says you; I'm still convinced that Marten and Dora are actually the same person; all the times we've seen them together were actually hallucinations or optical illusions by the narrator.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

The reason "google it" bugs me is because it makes me think of when you'd ask someone how to spell something and instead of being helpful they'd tell you to look it up.  There's no reason not to answer a question if you can, if it can't be explained easily then say that, don't be a dick about it.
Well... There is also the point that people shouldn't ask for information that is easily available from standard reference sources because:

1) Learning to use reference tools like dictionaries, reference books, encyclopaedias, libraries etc. is desirable, and an important part of being an educated, effective human being.
2) Learning through personal research is more satisfying and effective than being spoon-fed information without effort.
3) The attitude that other people are put on earth to be your servants is offensive. How would you feel about someone who lolled on a couch and expected others to fetch and carry everything for them? Is expecting others to spoon-feed you information that you could find yourself with modest effort really any different from expecting them to peel grapes and put them in your mouth?

Ooops! Perhaps my red scarf was showing a little there... :-)   Well before I had regular access to the internet, my parents were always directing me to reference books for answers.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Says you; I'm still convinced that Marten and Dora are actually the same person; all the times we've seen them together were actually hallucinations or optical illusions by the narrator.

You've got a point there. To believe that Marten and Dora are separate people and that their interactions really happened is to believe that Marten had a success in his sex life.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I hate when I ask what something is only to be told to "google it".  Yes, I could look it up, but learning is more fun when it's a shared experience, especially when that leads to a discussion on an interesting topic.
At times, it's like the "RTFM" attitude prevalent among hackers some years ago. At least the Free Software movement largely avoids this quirk: most of the time there's no manual to speak of. This reminds me, somewhat, of a picture I made and used in my sig on some forums that allowed pictures in sigs.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Or it would combine nicely - have you seen the DC steampunk stuff?
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

<snippage>
Ooops! Perhaps my red scarf was showing a little there... :-)   Well before I had regular access to the internet, my parents were always directing me to reference books for answers.

Red Scarf? (Insert confused American look here:  :? )
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So who would be next on the Parental Appearance list?

Marigold's mom - the geeky school-marm teacher.    4 (11.8%)
Angus's Dad - he's a member of the common council of Amherst.    1 (2.9%)
Angus's Mom - she's an English professor at Holyoke.    1 (2.9%)
Faye's mom comes up north to visit.    3 (8.8%)
Steve's Dad - there's a reason why he's been divorced multiple times.    1 (2.9%)
Steve's Mom - she hasn't seen him much since the divorce.    0 (0%)
A revisiting of Mrs. Ellicott-Chatham.    4 (11.8%)
Penelope's Dad - who's a preacher at the local Episcopalian church.    3 (8.8%)
Penelope's Mom - who's a first-class bookworm.    0 (0%)
Raven's parents - they really ARE rocket scientists!    13 (38.2%)
Cosette's Dad - an EMT.    2 (5.9%)
Cosette's Mom - a Ballerina.    1 (2.9%)
Other (you choose)    1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I hope Jeph uses this for his next Shebly filler comic.  I guess he could replace Pintsize with the Shame Pride Orb if he doesn't want to put Pintsize in there.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Also, Akima, I don't mean relying on someone for every little thing, I mean if someone mentions a band they like or another interesting topic, and you go "oh, who are they?" or ask something about them and they reply with "google it". I mean, come on, you were just talking about them, and now you don't want to?

(I should've been more specific, I guess, it doesn't happen that often)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Or it would combine nicely - have you seen the DC steampunk stuff?
Nope... and in the interest of the thread I shall drop this topic now by saying: "I'll google it."  :-D

(Woah, that gave me goosebumps. Awesome!)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

You'd think they'd want to do these stupid things at Dora's apartment now...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I see "RTFM" most often when someone asks a question in public, thus requesting a favor from hundreds or thousands of people, when it would have been far more economical all around for the requester to have looked it up.

Things are different in social situations.

Maybe Dora and Faye could re-make the classic Alka-Seltzer commercial.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Have we even seen that yet?

Oh and someone alert the media! QC has turned into a SOAP! °O

(Faye's remark about how a certain deity should constructively intervene set off something for me that felt similar to the "tiny hats mini arc" ... weird.)

I hear "RTFM" most often when someone asks a question in public [ ... ]
FTFY

Y

• Curry sauce

Well... There is also the point that people shouldn't ask for information that is easily available from standard reference sources because:

1) Learning to use reference tools like dictionaries, reference books, encyclopaedias, libraries etc. is desirable, and an important part of being an educated, effective human being.
2) Learning through personal research is more satisfying and effective than being spoon-fed information without effort.
3) The attitude that other people are put on earth to be your servants is offensive. How would you feel about someone who lolled on a couch and expected others to fetch and carry everything for them? Is expecting others to spoon-feed you information that you could find yourself with modest effort really any different from expecting them to peel grapes and put them in your mouth?

I hate it when I search for a problem, see the forum post about it that only says 'search/google for it'. The worst case was a forum about some program and everyone had about the same problem. and thread was locked and had a reply from the admin 'search for it'. Then their forum search was a google search, so it was near impossible to track down the thread with the answer.

Is this the first time Dora is back in the apartment since the break up?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The first time we've seen her there, I think.

We've not seen her new apartment socially, but we saw a bit when she viewed it, and when she moved in.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2012, 00:11 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious

In panel 1, it looks like something else is bursting.  :-D

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Red Scarf? (Insert confused American look here:  :? )
At the age of six, like pretty much every schoolchild in China, I was inducted into the Young Pioneers (AKA the 红领巾 or "Red Scarves") by having a red scarf tied round my neck by the leader of my detachment. I was implying that I was coming on like a doctrinaire little commie: "Vigorously crush the parasite landlord class!"...  :roll:

I hear "RTFM" most often when someone asks a question in public [ ... ]
FTFY
No, I think "see RTFM" is is most likely; in forums, newsgroups, mailing lists etc. And it is irritating when people ask for help without either reading the manual, FAQs and HOWTOs, OR searching the archives for the twenty-two dozen times someone has asked and been answered before, OR including sufficient information to allow anybody to help even if they wanted to: "I'm can't get <software> working under <OS>. Help plz?". I'm doing it again, aren't I?

Back to the comic. I don't think sit-ups do much to burn calories, so the girls punished themselves to no purpose. But they should have saved a cupcake for Marten, so... Karma?

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

In panel 1, it looks like something else is bursting.  ;D
  :?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

The first time we've seen her there, I think.

No, we have seen her back at the apartment once since the break-up, which was during the space arc. It is the first time we've seen her there at the same time as Marten, though.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Slydon is making comments about Faye's breasts, I think.

I am always amazed by those Yahoo Answers questions, because if they had simply googled the matter, they'd have got the answer without being all "can you put shoes in the dishwasher?" on Yahoo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up